Exclusive Community Preview: Switched at Birth Star Clicks With Abed — Watch Their Meet-Cute!

Get More: Interviews, Previews, Video

Community Season 5 SpoilersOn Thursday’s Community (NBC, 8/7c), Switched at Birth star Katie Leclerc signs her way right into Abed’s heart.

But, alas, their romance will be short-lived, previews the actress.

TVLine recently chatted with Leclerc to find out what brings the two characters together — check out the exclusive video of their first meeting below — and what, ultimately, tears them apart.

RELATED | Community‘s Troy Farewell: Did You Lava It?

TVLINE | Who are you playing?
Abed is avoiding [spoilers from his] favorite book series, which just happens to resemble Game of Thrones. So he decides to walk around Greendale wearing air traffic controller headphones so he can’t hear anything. And since my character is deaf, we [hit] it off right away and get along really well. There’s a bit of a budding romance. In the end, it turns out my character might not be exactly what Abed was hoping for.

TVLINE | It’s rare that we see Abed hit it off with a girl.
It’s true. She just finds him very endearing. I think they genuinely like each other despite what happens in the end of the episode. … It was so sad because I watched last week’s episode where they did the lava game. At the end, they clone Abed’s character and he had his heart broken because Troy left. I didn’t know that going into shooting my episode. When I was watching last week, I was like, “Oh, crap! Abed just had his heart broken because Troy left and now I’m going to stomp all over it. What is happening to poor Abed?!”

RELATED | Find Out Why Donald Glover Left Community

TVLINE | Did you pick up any comedy tips from the cast?
What’s striking is Joel [McHale's] confidence. Whether he believes what he’s saying or not, he says it in a way that you believe him.

TVLINE | You’ve been on The Big Bang Theory and now Community. Which comedy would you like to guest star on next?
The show I’m really in love with right now is Mom. [The cast is] hilarious. They do really, really top-quality stuff and they have really good timing.

Press PLAY to watch Abed and Leclerc’s character form a connection through American Sign Language.

Comments (17)

• even though i’m obviously distraught about troy leaving, i’m also interested to see what they do with solo abed and his romantic life. “community” has done a great job with it in the past (brie larson and eliza coupe were both great as potential love interests for abed)

Comment by hmm – January 29, 2014 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve always thought there was a lot of unmined humor in the Jeff Abed dynamic. An Odd Couple thing where there was a lot of humor that hasn’t been explored. They are two guys that would spend their private time in diametrically different manners, but they can have a lot of fun when they do things together.

I love Troy, but the loss of Pierce might be more devastating long term.

Comment by Patrick – January 29, 2014 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I fully agree on this. I hope that they can explore that a little more now that Abed and Jeff are the only guys left in the group-it’d be a great idea to use the changes within the group as a way for those two to lean on each other and become better friends.
        This story with Abed and the girl sounds cute (and I love that Leclerc feels bad about her character hurting Abed so soon after Troy left-aww). I agree with everyone else in here about Brie Larson, I too loved her character and her interaction with Abed last season, so I’m all for more of that.

Comment by Angela – January 29, 2014 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • According to this old TV Line report from October, Brie Larson should be returning for this episode as well.

Interesting, considering she would be one of the few characters and plot elements introduced in Season 4 that Dan Harmon is willing to voluntarily incorporate into his show. Then again, Brie Larson is highly respected as a talented and up-and-coming actress at the moment (see the widespread acclaim that she received for her performance in the excellent, if little-seen, Short Term 12). If you have an opportunity to bring her back, you’d be a fool not to consider it.

Comment by Jared – January 29, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • short term 12 was fantastic, everyone should watch it.
        its strange that we havent heard anything more about brie larson coming back, i really liked her character and she is brilliant, i wish she could be a recurring character.

Comment by Alan – January 29, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m presuming something happened and Brie couldn’t make it back, thus Katie LeClerc. You’d think Brie Larson returning would have also been mentioned in this article otherwise.

(Either that, or she pops up somewhere at the end of it, and maybe shows up in a followup episode.)

Comment by LoopyChew – January 30, 2014 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh yay!! I love her. And Community. That’s great.

Comment by Christy – January 29, 2014 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Brie Larson will come back on the show at least once before this season is over

Comment by Pat – January 29, 2014 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was going to say the same thing. She was definitely the right girl for Abed.

Comment by wordsmith – January 29, 2014 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too. She was the only good thing about season 4. I hope she comes back!

Comment by Liz – January 29, 2014 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I detonated a mollusk. Lmao.

Comment by JJ – January 29, 2014 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good interview and clip. Can’t wait to watch new episode tomorrow.

Comment by Joey – January 29, 2014 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously what the heck.. where is Brie Larson at?? Annoyed.

Comment by Will – January 30, 2014 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Where is Brie Larson??*

Comment by Bob Johnson – January 30, 2014 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I smell recurring character!

Comment by Bob Johnson – January 30, 2014 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can Brie Larson come back? She was apart of the gas leak yeak

Comment by ggny – January 30, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that there is a video posted featuring sign language but has no closed captioning for the deaf and hard of hearing.

Comment by Kim – January 31, 2014 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post