Exclusive

Exclusive First Look: New Girl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine Have a Ball in Super Bowl Promo

Jess Day, Jake Peralta and Terry Jeffords are ready to play ball in a new promo poster for Fox’s post-Super Bowl XLVIII comedy hour — and TVLine has an exclusive first look.

POLL | New Girl Vs. Mindy Project’s Winter Finale: Which Romantic Twist Was More Awww-some?

New Girl, now in its third season, and the Golden Globe-winning freshman hit Brooklyn Nine-Nine will air special episodes following Fox’s Feb. 2 broadcast of the NFL championship — which tends to draw, you know, a few eyeballs — starting at approximately 10:30/9:30c. Check out the poster, then read on for more:

New Girl Brooklyn Super Bowl Poster

In the New Girl episode “Party Time,” Jess is ready to paint the town purple when a chance encounter finds her and Cece invited to a once-in-a-lifetime party thrown by music legend Prince (guest-starring as himself). Nick and the boys, in turn, endeavor to crash said soiree.

RELATED | Super Bowl XLVIII Date Could Move in the Event of Extreme Weather

Then, in “Operation: Broken Feather,” Brooklyn Nine-Nine finds Jake and Amy’s investigation of a string of hotel robberies waylaid when it’s revealed that she may leave the precinct to work Major Crimes with “The Vulture” (guest star Dean Winters). Meanwhile, Holt and  Jeffords strategize to make the precinct more efficient. Fred Armisen reprises his role from the pilot, while Super Bowl-winning QB Joe Thiesmann is among the celeb cameos.

Which “super” comedy outing are you most looking forward to?

1. Will says:

Still think they should air Brooklyn 9-9 directly after the super bowl and then New Girl. (Actually I secretly wish they’d air Brooklyn followed by Enlisted).. C’mon FOX!

• +1 says:

You’re not alone. New Girl doesn’t deserve the slot. B99 and Enlisted are way more funny and interesting. B99 will have to settle with the remains of people who didn’t hate the unfunny NG.

• SR says:

New Girl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine were both tied for the highest rated comedy this week. FOX is doing the right thing.

• Michael says:

That’s your opinion. A large portion of people, myself included, find New Girl to be very funny. It constantly gets good ratings and viewership. It earned that Super Bowl spot.

2. Brian says:

I feel like B99 would appeal to more Super Bowl viewers than New Girl. Plus, B99 just won a couple of Golden Globes. They should reverse the airing of these…

• FL says:

Well PRINCE is going to be in the New Girl episode throwing some party and I know that so many people who don’t watch the show are going to watch it just to see Prince. Prince is a much bigger draw in, so it makes sense that they’ll put New Girl right after the superbowl as it carries on the whole party theme.

3. Lecholls says:

I thought Adam Sandler was supposed to guest on B99 that night. Did I imagine that? Either way, Fred Armison is awesome. And Prince! Can’t wait for both shows.

• ASFan says:

He is appearing, just wasn’t officially announced by Fox because they want to keep it a secret and like to think it is a secret.

4. Honestly more excited for Brooklyn 99 nowadays!

5. deaht says:

I think people are underestimating how New Girl will perform. Prince is a pretty big draw, and no doubt they will be making sure EVERYBODY knows that Prince is in that episode. Plus, that show still has the ability to pull good numbers (good for FOX, at least) for “special” episodes

The way I see it, the B99 audience is more likely to watch New Girl waiting for B99. Switch the order around and B99 viewers will probably check out right after it airs. This order makes sense to me.

6. John NYC says:

Jeffords is always fun.

7. Tony says:

Lately I’ve seen a lot of hate for New Girl… I don’t understand it tbh. It’s a great sitcom.

• Lecholls says:

Yeah, there is a very loud, but probably not very large, group of haters out there. I think New Girl is fantastic. It’s my favorite sitcom along with Parks and Recreation (and now B99).

• Michael says:

Yeah, it’s a small portion of haters that hate the fact that New Girl is getting better ratings than their favorite shows. New Girl rightfully earned that spot.

8. Steven says:

Can’t wait for New girl :) Zooey is beautiful

9. Anita says:

I find it great that they’re showing New Girl first. They always try so hard to pander to dudebros with the post-Super Bowl episodes. Remember that opening fantasy shower scene in the Grey’s Anatomy episode that aired after the Super Bowl? Or how about the start of the Elementary episode last year?

I hope neither NG or B99 have to stoop to that

10. Kate says:

I don’t know why I’ve been watching Brooklyn 99 since the first episode and it just doesn’t cut it for me. New Girl is so much better. I’m so happy it’s gonna come on right after even though B99 just won a Golden Globe.

11. mongoose says:

What? The Vulture? Santiago, what are you doing?

12. Joey says:

Great poster. I can’t wait to watch both new episodes after Super Bowl.

13. guest says:

NEW GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

14. April says:

New Girl needs to be given more credit. That show is hilarious and deserves its spot – both in the lineup and in the ratings. Sure, it’s safe to assume that the demographic watching the Superbowl is different than the people who watch New Girl, but maybe their aiming to get more male viewership? You guys should give it a try, it’s freaking hilarious.