Ratings: Rake Has So-So Start, Vampire Ticks Up

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Rake PremiereFox’s Rake premiered on Thursday night to 7 million total viewers and a 1.7 demo rating (per finals), demonstrating about 50 percent retention out of American Idol (12.4 mil/3.4).

Rake — which TVLine readers gave an average grade of “C+” — was up versus Glee’s most recent performance (3.3 mil/1.1 leading out of X Factor), but fell shy of Glee’s demo delivery the last time it aired after Idol (6 mil/2.0). Rake was on par with Touch‘s final aprés-Idol outing (6 mil/1.7), and… that’s about all I got.

RELATED | Premiere Poll: Did Greg Kinnear’s Fox Dramedy Rake You In?

The aforementioned Idol slipped 10 and 13 percent week-to-week.

RELATED | American Idol Atlanta Auditions Recap: By Georgia, I Think They’ve Got It!

Over on NBC, Community’s send-off for Troy (3 mil/1.1) and Parks and Recreation (3 mil/1.2) were both flat. Airing a half hour later, Sean Saves the World (2.6 mil/0.7) dipped a tenth, while Michael J Fox (2.2 mil/0.7) and Parenthood (4.3 mil/1.3) each ticked up a tenth.

RELATED | Community’s Troy Farewell: Did You Lava It?

The CW’s 100th episode of Vampire Diaries (2.7 mil/1.2) was up in audience from its fall finale and rose a tenth in the demo, while Reign (1.7 mil/0.6) was flat.

RELATED | Post Mortem: Vampire Diaries Boss on Caroline’s Surprise, Katherine’s Plan and Bonnie’s Future

ABC’s The Taste (3.9 mil/1.1) rose 18 percent and two tenths.

Tags: ,

Comments (30)

• Yes good job Reign still holding on stronger then other CW shows.

Comment by Fernando – January 24, 2014 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reign’s getting better. I wasn’t completely sold at first but the story is getting stronger and I’m really starting to like it. Glad I stuck with it :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 24, 2014 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Reign is fabulous!

Comment by Ava – January 24, 2014 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m obsessed with Reign! I wasn’t gonna check it out but I’m SO glad I did :)

Comment by Elyse – January 24, 2014 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did NBC announce the switch for Sean saves the World and Michael J Fox. I was surprised when I saw it last night.

Comment by Jake – January 24, 2014 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good job for Reign even if it adjusts down to a 1.7 that’s still a episode high right?

Comment by Amy – January 24, 2014 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Both Vampire Diaries and Reign were awesome last night!!

Comment by Liza – January 24, 2014 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um…no. VD sucked but Reign was very good. Adelaide Kane was very well-cast in the role. I had my doubts at first that she could carry a series but now Im convinced.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 24, 2014 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Last night’s VD was literally the final nail in the coffin for me. I recently rewatched Season 1 and 2 and can’t believe how downhill the show has gone. It was incremental so it took me awhile to figure out, but after that nonsense Katherine doesn’t die garbage last night, they have lost a viewer forever.

Comment by Weezy – January 24, 2014 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is just the immature 13-year old in me talking, but I giggle every time someone refers to Vampire Diaries as “V.D.” I so badly want someone on here to say, “Hey, I caught VD last night, and it was great!”

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 24, 2014 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Community & Parks were ON FIRE last night!! I really hope they both get Emmy nods, as well as their supporting cast (Joel Mchale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Yvette Nicole Brown, Adam Scott, Aubrey Plaza & Nick Offerman)

Comment by Eddie – January 24, 2014 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rake wasn’t very good. I’m not surprised it dropped from Idol and I won’t be surprised when it drops even more next week.

Comment by Daniel – January 24, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet it’ll venture down to at least 1.3 next week in its 2nd half hour after Idol viewers finally change their channels.

Comment by Ally Oop – January 24, 2014 10:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I tried to watch it. After 20 minutes I changed the channel. IMO Greg Kinnear just isn’t a leading man. I like him, but not as the central character.

Comment by Stormy – January 24, 2014 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I didn’t think Rake was very good either. I love Greg Kinnear so I DVR’d it but gave up after 20 minutes. His character is just not likeable and nobody you can root for. No appeal whatsoever.

Comment by bmc9999 – January 27, 2014 04:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So…does NBC moving MJF mean that they are trying to save that show while sacrificing SSTW to do it?

Comment by Jax – January 24, 2014 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It means the numbers for both shows stink, and both are getting cancelled.

Comment by Alex – January 24, 2014 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy for Reign! I’m thinking of skipping the next few because I don’t like the current arc but I couldn’t be happier that the ratings are up. It doesn’t count but I got five of my friends hooked last weekend. I wish Parenthood would get better demos but I guess I should be happy that it’s still here.

Comment by tp – January 24, 2014 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We both know you won’t skip any episodes. Curiosity will get the better of you. And if you rely are a true fan then you will watch

Comment by Ally Oop – January 24, 2014 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • please what exactly makes a true fan?

Comment by catelyn – January 24, 2014 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Reign completely sucked me in after watching 20 minutes of a rerun a couple of weeks ago. It’s very fast paced and I can never get enough of Francis’ epic speeches to Mary about love. However I feel like they’ve ruined Francis. He will never feel the same about Mary, there’s no way he could. This takes away the very reason I watched it. The actors are excellent and that is a draw but Idk if it’s enough to keep me watching. I’ll check back in a couple of weeks to see what’s going on.

Comment by tp – January 24, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yess for Reign going up!!TVD really disappointed me yesterday.the whole Klaroline hook up was HOT!! But it was pure fan service.Julie plec should stop listening to the 200 klaroline fans on twitter.
    And the whole katherine taking elena’s body was such a let down,katherine should have died,Julie plec needs to rehasing old storylines.
    The only good thing of the TVD 100 was the return of old faces
    Plus we need new people in the cast.tyler,matt have no stories at all.Bring in a new gal for stefan,bring a new dude or gal for caroline(*winks*).we need new exciting people in the cast.
    And for christ sake give Bonnie a good storyline
    And no more love triangles(stefan,katherine,damon).
    Sorry 4 the Rant

Comment by meah – January 24, 2014 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can assure you there are more than two hundred klaroline fans. And FYI the whole show is fan service. The originals show is fan service they were suppose to be gone after they killed klaus off but Plec decided that people like them to much so she gave them their own show. Which is quite awful because it’s whole plot is so trope and ridiculous. If the writers didn’t like klaroline they never would have started it in the first place last night may seem like closure but I am sure plec will revisit at some point their chemistry down the line because it gives her ratings. I am done watching this show and the spin off. They are just horribly written but I guess that’s what you get from a cw show.

Comment by Tina – January 24, 2014 11:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I am not one of them. I never will understand how ANYONE likes Klaus, let alone with Caroline.

Comment by Radha – January 26, 2014 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Reign and The Vampire Diaries! I find it interesting that The CW tied NBC in the 18-49 demo for each hour it had programming.

Comment by Fabe – January 24, 2014 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rake is horrible…….Fox has hit bottom…and has nothing for me to watch till 24. Speaking of 24 the only reason I am watching it is because of Yvonne Strahovski.

Comment by ChuckMeForever – January 24, 2014 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Australian version of Rake is very good but it maybe because it’s a network show but this Rake is filmed too brightly and Keegan’s life isn’t that bad, he’s much more of loser in the original version.

Comment by Isobel – January 24, 2014 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am also in agree with VD fans that the show needs to smarten up or all will abandon ship, there is zero originality left with show. Yes we get these are vampires, but sometimes a permanent death should be just that, CATHERINE!

Comment by DavidSask – January 24, 2014 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So if Community ratings are on par with Parks and Rec, and Parks and Rec has already been renewed…that’s good news for Community?

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – January 24, 2014 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parks and Rec has been unofficially renewed. But it’s looking good for Parks & Rec. I think Community’s ratings being on par with P&R, as you said, bodes well for the series. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and wishing on every star for both to be renewed. I think Parks & Rec will get a full season pick-up and I think Community has done (thankfully) well enough this season (plus with great critical praise) that it will get a 13-episode, 6th season pick up. That works for me as it would push Community over that magical 100 episode mark.

Comment by Ron – January 28, 2014 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post