Reign Boss Dishes on Mary's Return to the Castle, Royal Wrath and the Possibility of a Little Prince

Get More: Premieres, Previews

Reign Season 1 Spoilers What a short, strange trip it’s been.

Mary and Bash’s frantic flight from the castle abruptly ends in Reign‘s winter premiere (The CW, Thursday 9/8c), when the young queen and her betrothed’s bastard brother are forcibly returned to court.

Still, excecutive producer Laurie McCarthy tells TVLine, Mary remains determined to save both her fiancée and his sibling, who’s in hot water for accompanying her on her sojourn.

PREVIEW | Winter Spoiler-palooza: Your Scoop-Filled Guide to 31 Returning Favorites, Including Reign

“Sebastian is really no more than a subject. He lives at the whim of the king’s favor,” McCarthy says. “So she goes with Sebastian back to court to help protect him from the wrath of Henry – his wrath is pretty intense.”

Once there, though, she’ll also have to face Francis’ questions about why she so abruptly broke their engagement and ran away – after all, as McCarthy notes, the long-promised couple not only slept together in the previous episode, “They were in love.”

“The complication now is that Catherine and Mary both believe in Nostradamus’ prophecy,” she adds. And though he’ll find out about the portent in Thursday’s installment, Francis “doesn’t buy it at all” and will pressure Mary to marry him the way they’d planned.

RELATED | Reign Casts Amy Brenneman as Mary’s Mother

But don’t underestimate our girl’s ability to get her way, especially when her beloved’s life depends on it. During the hour, “She’ll very cleverly do an enormous move that could potentially forever change her relationship with Francis,” McCarthy previews.

And this move will have the added benefit or drawback (depending on your allegiances) of costing Catherine everything, which causes the infuriated monarch to respond in typical, devastating fashion. In other words, “She’ll make a really brutal attempt on [Mary's] life.”

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Reign Scoop and More

But let’s go back to the sex for a sec: During their post-coital pillow talk, Francis voiced his hopes that a little Francis had taken root in Mary’s belly. Might Mary be pregnant sometime in the near future?

“Yes, we’re thinking about it,” McCarthy says carefully. “It was something he would genuinely hope for and that would give them some leverage to force the marriage, [but] it turns out they don’t even need to do that because of the prophecies.”

She adds: “Anyway, you’ll see.”

Comments (84)

• Francis and Mary are everything.
    Can’t stand Bash one bit.

Comment by Dani – January 23, 2014 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • francis and mary need to be together!!!!

Comment by Anna – January 29, 2014 09:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. Mary and Francis are meant to be together. Bash should be with someone else. Francis should be King of France because he wants to be King and he’ll be a better fit.

Comment by Eugenia – February 5, 2014 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree! The last two episodes #10 & #11 Suck. Francis and Mary should be together. Mary is a true queen and Francis is a true king. Bash cant even come close to the noble and fair king Francis will be. And it really hacks me off how Mary proclaimed her undying love for Francis but couldn’t wait to fall into Bashs arms. It truly undermined her character for me. And now they are screwing with Francis character putting some stupid affair with Lola. Come on its turned completely into a daytime soap opera. Wait they will kill Catherine and she will come back to life 6 or 7 times. Come on, I like a little upset here and there but this is ridiculous. I am losing interest fast. I happened to love the brothers story sticking together and working together. I will never believe reconciliation. Cant stand Bash, he stabs his brother in the back over and over. The character has become a puppy dog following Mary around. So disappointed!!! Even if Mary and Francis get together now their marriage will be riddled with doubt and resentment. I guess I’m a romantic, I was hoping for a love story without that, overcoming obstacles of their kingdoms would be enough. Sorry for ranting … been saving up I guess. I hope Mary is pregnant with Francis baby but their love story is ruined for me!

Comment by Mary – February 7, 2014 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • amen! mary and francis were engaged and in love. and bash just needs to leave. hes ruining the plans of an alliance that could save scottland.. at least francis was trained and bred to run a country! bash is just some boy who was lucky to be living in the castle. he has no idea what hes doing and cound destroy france and scottland. if she ends up with bash i will be severely upset.

Comment by Emily Morrissette – March 3, 2014 09:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Francis may seem to be the better choice but can you trust one to be a true and right king if he can’t seem to be a true and rightful partner. Claiming to love Mary and accepting without a fight her choice of not marrying him and then sleeping with her lady in waiting Lola, is not exactly what I would call a romantic story. Bash can be groomed to be a just king but you can’t teach loyalty, which Francis clearly does not have, you either have it or you don’t. Bash has clearly shown he can be loyal and that he really loves Mary.

Comment by Michelle – March 5, 2014 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I want Mary to get pregnant with Francis baby and Lola and Mary both be pregnant with his child and see how marys relationship with Lola changes in a good way or bad and Francis support Lola but is right there beside his wife even though they in this situation

Comment by Tynesha jones – March 17, 2014 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary and Bash are everything.
    Can’t stand Francis one bit.

Comment by Tessa – January 23, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Mary and I like Bash, not so much Francis… Not quite sure if I want them together though

Comment by EJ386 – January 23, 2014 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched this in canada last night. Poor Francis, man.

Comment by M. – January 23, 2014 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Noooo, say it isn’t so. I don’t want him to be brokenhearted. I want him and Mary to be together. I love their crazy love.

Comment by tp – January 23, 2014 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • love mary and francis together!!!

Comment by Anna – January 29, 2014 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched it too. I haven’t made up my mind about the triangle yet but i didn’t agree with all mary’s choices last night. Poor Francis and Catherine!

Comment by Clode – January 23, 2014 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Shhhhhhh…..

Comment by Curly Girly – January 23, 2014 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We know from the history books that Francis and Mary do get married… they shouldn’t run from that..

Comment by l – January 23, 2014 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well I hope they do because King Francis dies at 16.

Comment by jjovana3 – January 24, 2014 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Francis <3

Comment by Elyse – January 23, 2014 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There was a great piece in EW about the Reign writers neglecting Bash as a character. He has very few lines, is given no back story, and is rarely involved in castle life. Doesn’t make for a compelling love ‘triangle’ when one of those parties is underwritten. Here’s hoping they can spice it up and give Torrance Coombs something to do!

Comment by Cat – January 23, 2014 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both couples. Currently Mary is more pulling towards Francis and I love how much he loves her. Kudos to Toby for a great and convincing performance. Bash on the other hand is something like her BFF they have a connection and she feels free infront of Bash and can let go, be less stuck up.
    Saw some sneak peeks this should be an interesting episode.

Comment by Maki – January 23, 2014 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re just pushing the limits of history without actually changing anything. I think we all know it’s Francis and Mary that wed.

Comment by Brooke – January 23, 2014 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure, but it doesn’t mean that she can’t be in love with Bash while marrying Francis. I like her with both of them though, so I’m interested to see the path they take to marrying Mary and Francis.
      Also, I just love Leith and Greer. Can’t see them getting a happy ending, but I really hope they keep up that storyline.

Comment by Katherine215 – January 23, 2014 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Francis and Mary CAN”T have a baby. I freaking hate them, WTF? Is it a love triangle show or a Frary show? Just HUGE NO! Where that will leave Mash? I’m not going to watch Reign with frarys bay, just eeeewwww

Comment by Mercy – January 23, 2014 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Um, the people these characters are based on actually married and had a child. I think they’re playing a bit with history, but there’s no way they can actually change that tidbit.

Comment by Katherine215 – January 23, 2014 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They never had a child, never.

Comment by Sintia – January 23, 2014 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No, they didnt have a child, he was 13, she was 15, and when he died, they didnt have any children, she had a boy, one who became the next king of England with another man

Comment by Lore – January 23, 2014 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, shoot, my bad. I don’t know what I was thinking there, other than apparently confusing Mary’s husbands.

Comment by Katherine215 – January 23, 2014 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Doesn’t mean she can’t get pregnant with Francis and have a miscarriage. That happened a lot back then.

Comment by gdv – January 23, 2014 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I never considered a miscarriage. When the ep MaCarthy said they’re still considering having Mary be pregnant I was thinking how when her and Francis didn’t have kids.

Comment by tp – January 23, 2014 04:48 PM PDT
    • This isn’t TVD which is actually based on a book on two brothers fighting over a girl. These are actual real life people who existed, Francis and Mary actually got married and he died after two years of ruling, and Bash never existed but I think they put him in to make things complicated for Francis and Mary just like with Olivia.

Comment by Lainey – January 23, 2014 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The real Mary Queen of Scots lived a life that was a lot more interesting than what is portrayed in this television show. I wish that the writers would either stick to the historical facts or rename the girl, Princess TwinkleStar so that there is no confusion about this being a work of fiction.

Comment by BusyBody – January 23, 2014 09:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary and Bash always.

Comment by Carla – January 23, 2014 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK this is just ridiculous to argue with Mash fans. I’m sure they are sleeping with their sister’s boyfriends or the other way around. I could care less. #TeamFrancis

Comment by Beth – January 23, 2014 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Bash all the way, we most definitely don’t need Frary baby!

Comment by Roa – January 23, 2014 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still trying to figure out why Bash likes Mary but whatever I think its pretty clear the story is Francis and Mary whom I enjoy together better, they have passionate chemistry which I don’t really see with the other two. Putting a baby in there would complicate things.

Comment by Lainey – January 23, 2014 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That is what I don’t understand either. Bash has no history with Mary and other than seeing her that first day chasing Sterling into the woods. What made him like her? Francis has a past connection with her. I love their, Francis and Mary, misguided attempts at trying to protect each other. Bash is great and who can resist those intense stares he has but I want him to find aother chick. Also is anyone ever going to question wth happened to Olivia? I’m glad the conniving hussie is gone but dang is no one going to at least ask what happened to her? Even to ask her why she didn’t open the passage way for Mary and her ladies.

Comment by tp – January 23, 2014 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh GOD, please no. We need Bash and Mary, not Frary baby. It must be a joke.

Comment by Sintia – January 23, 2014 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Bash all the way, enough with Frary already. Isn’t wedding enough for them?

Comment by Marta – January 23, 2014 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think keeping the triangle going will keep things more interesting…a baby only secures Mary and Francis’ wedding to take place sooner!!! Give the ladies in waiting a little more airtime with some interesting enter-mingling story :) I will miss Aylee, she was my favorite – Kenna has become a cry baby; Lola is boring and Greer has potential with the baker at least. I would have loved to see Aylee be Catherine’s “spy” with Mary and Aylee conspiring together to feed false information to Catherine, that could have proven to be quite funny!!! As long as we get a Season 2 pick up I am a happy, happy person!!!!

Comment by Cindy – January 23, 2014 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Poor Aylee. I will miss her too. Kenna is just getting on my nerves. Lola left a sour taste in my mouth after she blamed Mary for Colin. I’m hoping I can like her again. I really like Greer. Honestly I would like to see Greer and Bash together. But since he’s not titled I guess that wouldn’t work. I like Leith but honestly that relationship is doomed. Unless Mary can give Leith a title but can she do that?

Comment by tp – January 23, 2014 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not if they plan on making Bash legitimate. Then a baby would complicate things with Bash and Mary who are now the next queen and king. Congratulations to all the BASH fans. You got your wish. You destroyed Mary and Francis and made this show even more stupid.

Comment by b – January 23, 2014 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They could have Mary get pregnant and not sure of who the father is. That would certainly spice up the triangle and give Catherine alot of ammunition against the marriage.

Comment by Jenn – January 31, 2014 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Bash and Mary baby <3 They are both gorgeous.

Comment by Caitlin – January 23, 2014 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IKR, just imagine how gorgeous will be their kids? OMG.

Comment by Saili – January 23, 2014 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A baby Frary would be the best thing ever!!

Comment by Guest – January 23, 2014 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yet, in the end, Elizabeth I still beheads Mary…

Comment by Bobbi – January 23, 2014 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOO, Frary don’t need baby they are boring enough.

Comment by Missie – January 23, 2014 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you’re so pathetic, you should probably change show if they bore you so much.

Comment by Guest – January 23, 2014 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We love Bash and Mary. I’m not here for the Frary Show. BOO.

Comment by Alisha – January 23, 2014 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gah, we want Mary and Bash already, is it too much to ask????

Comment by Saili – January 23, 2014 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary and Francis for ever !!!!!

Comment by october – January 23, 2014 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There won’t actually be a baby, Mary didn’t have a child with Francis in history

Comment by Isobel – January 23, 2014 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bash did not exist in history either :p

Comment by jeandoe – February 15, 2014 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Mary has a baby it better be from Bash. Bash loves her and has never hurt her. Francis on the other hand can be a real jerk.. he slept with other people…. Bash all the way! please let them get married

Comment by Jess 2014 – January 23, 2014 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Francis and Mary all the way they are soooo cute I’m depressed after this episode:( stupid bash

Comment by Lola – January 23, 2014 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Francis and Maty, I hope she’s pregnant and she realizes that no matter what the future holds her heart belongs to Francis. They have a sweet love! I like Lola and Bash together.

Comment by An – January 23, 2014 08:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree :)

Comment by jeandoe – February 15, 2014 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just tossing my opinion out here, TEAM FRANCIS! I like Bash with the girl who lost her bf in the first few episodes…. the one Catherine had beheaded…

Comment by Ginny Nelson – January 24, 2014 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree with you…TEAM FRANCIS all the way!! P.s..i’m just throwing it out there, but I absolutely hate it, when people fuse couple names together. Its repulsively annoying, like mash and frary..urgh!! I absolutely hate it!

Comment by alana – January 24, 2014 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO i do not like mary and bash together. if mary really loves francis she will marry him and yes there is a prophecy that if francis and mary wed he will die but i think he would rather die being married to her than die without her and his crown. TEAME FRANCIS!!!

Comment by ingrid – January 24, 2014 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes team Francis bash has always envied Francis and has been trying to steal her away since day 1

Comment by Brittany – January 31, 2014 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kinda funny reading everyone’s comments… yes Mary queen of Scots is a really person and so is Francis who died from an ear condition after 17 months of being King, and Bash was never in the story ..Thou his father was with a Diane de Poitiers.. how ever my point is this is a show, if they where to follow the real story (yes as someone said Mary is beheaded in the end anyways).. but there wouldn’t be much of a show and maybe 2 or 3 seasons if they stayed with the real event… just like other shows such as Vampire diaries who didn’t even stay with the book story line… TV shows always changed the lines to keep the seasons coming and give everyone a good TV Drama that we all fall in love with to watch … (just my thoughts)

Comment by Chesha – January 24, 2014 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do hope they keep a little bit with the history because Mary and Francis was married for over 2 years before he die’s….Love those two together!

Comment by K. – January 24, 2014 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • mary and francis are amazing together!!!

Comment by Anna – January 29, 2014 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? Do people not do their history? Mary had ONE son James VI of Scotland who became James I of ENGLAND. Mary had NO CHILDREN with FRANCIS!

Comment by Bryony – January 26, 2014 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s possible that the baby will be the future James I of England and Scots. Laurie said Mary will have another love interest. It’s probably Lord Darnley.

Comment by Emily – January 27, 2014 06:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MARY AND FRANCIS SHOULD BE TOGETHER WITH KNOWING THAT BASH HAS ALWAYS BEEN IN LOVE WITH MARY AND HER JUST LIKING HIM IT MAKES THIS SEEM A MESS AND THE WHOLE THING PLANNED WITH MARY AND BASH TOGETHER MAKES ME WANT TO STOP WATCHING IT BUT I CAN’T BECAUSE I WAnt To see when Francis will reappear and what is his future plans but I no LONGER LIKE MARY OR BASH THEIR BETRAYAL IS WRONG NO MATTER THEIR “EXCUSE”

Comment by Brittany – January 31, 2014 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bash and Mary is ridiculous it hurts my heart watching them,i totally find more pleasure in seeing her and Francis together all the way.

Comment by Loeney – January 31, 2014 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Bash is not fit to be a King, and he doesn’t even want to be King. Bash should get back to his life as a peasant.

Comment by Eugenia – February 5, 2014 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Francis to come back. Bash shouldn’t be King. I want Mary and Francis to get married and Francis to be King.

Comment by Eugenia – February 5, 2014 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary and Bash are it for me!

Comment by Kiren – February 7, 2014 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mary and Bash are awesome together. I love the Mary and Bash storyline every epoisde gets better and better.

Comment by Rhonda Sinden – February 9, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I absolutely agree. Since Mary and Bash storyline has began to develop the show is just getting better! Francis and Mary are too predictable and rather boring IMO, of course.

Comment by Judith – February 16, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Mary and Bash have a genuine love, not forced or pushed aside as easily as Francis had done in the past. Francis may seem to love Mary but wait till the next girl comes along that will catch his interest.

Comment by Michelle – March 5, 2014 03:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Francis and Mary are perfect to each other! It will be such a dissapointment if Mary and Bash get married…

Comment by Greta – February 11, 2014 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bash.. my mind stops here <3

Comment by Zara – February 11, 2014 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just thinking…Spoiler Alert…Bash turns out not to be the King’s bastard son but agreed with Diane early on to raise him as his own because of their pagan family history, and she wanted a royal life for them (due to her jealousy of never becoming Queen and of Catherine’s life). Bash and Mary get married (joke on her – because he felt blackmailed by a teenaged girl and changing family line) and they find out before leaving for the honeymoon/trip to France to rule with her king (the King forged papers for show and tell moment) in tow. Bash was influenced by his mother that he should be king due to him being the oldest son. He in turned convinced Mary or at least put it in her head to offer his legitimacy as he knew what she had planned. He was also influenced by his mother that this would get him the women he wanted. Francis return married to pregnant Olivia.

Comment by Neva – February 12, 2014 01:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im so disappointed! Mary and Bash? No way! If the show continues this way i’ll have to stop watching.

Comment by shari eberson – February 12, 2014 09:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bash is Mary’s perfect choice in her own words and in my heart. He challenges her to do things she never thought she could do, he makes her grow and live intensely, Bash respects her. Francis loves her and also loves his mistresses … Francis is more like his father. Mary&Bash.

Comment by Judith – February 16, 2014 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree with Judith. Mary and Bash is my choice. Bash will be faithful and has proven it but Francis had been with others. Just in the short time of leaving Mary with Bash he’s already been with her friend Lola. Plus Bash is definitely more handsome than Francis.

Comment by Michelle – March 5, 2014 03:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so rooting for Catherine, I love her one lines and sassiness! As of last episode I am so annoyed with Mary thinking she is the ruler over everything and everyone in the kingdom…uh hello you there as a guest until you’re married off!! Maybe people would stop trying to kill you if you would stop trying to act the queen. Team Catherine for now.

Comment by Anita – February 24, 2014 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Michelle – March 5, 2014 03:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do feel bad for Catherine. She genuinely loves her children, and to not be with them has to be torture.

Comment by Michelle – March 5, 2014 03:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, I feel that Bash should have married Mary. But others can argue with my opinion. The producer and directors are doing a great job with this show, they want us of course to be hanging from the edge of our seats excited and anxious to see the result. They put Bash in the show for a reason, to heat things up. I wonder what will happen next? What will Clarissa do in the next episode ? This Is An Awesome Show!:) Hope everyone Enjoys!!

- H.V.

Comment by Huynh – March 6, 2014 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im definitely Team Sebastian & Mary . ~ H.V.

Comment by Huynh – March 6, 2014 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post