Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. to 'Add' Marvel Character

Get More: Scoop, Uncategorized

Agents of SHIELD Deathlok‘Member when we all originally thought that J. August Richards would be playing Luke Cage on Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?

Once the pilot aired, however, it was revealed that his character, Mike Peterson, instead was just a regular Joe — albeit one imbued with superhuman strength.

RELATED | S.H.I.E.L.D. Gets Visit from Thor‘s Lady Sif — Plus: The Clairvoyant Revealed

Well, as it turns out — spoiler alert! — we were wrong, again.

Marvel.com reports that in the ABC series’ Feb. 4 episode, which is titled “T.R.A.C.K.S.,” Mike will be transformed against his will into Deathlok, a Marvel Comics cyborg who first debuted in print 40 years ago. Historically, the character has fought alongside the likes of The Fantastic Four, the X-Men, S.H.I.E.L.D. and Spider-Man.

Boasting “a high-tech eye that allows him to see through walls, super strength and increased speed courtesy of a cybernetic leg,” the “new” Mike will “struggle to find the man in the machine,” Marvel.com reports.

RELATED | TVLine’s 2014 Wish List: More Marvel Characters on S.H.I.E.L.D., Please!

“We have been waiting all season for this moment where we can reveal that Mike Peterson’s story arc is an origin story,” S.H.I.E.L.D. EP Jeffrey Bell told the site.

Deathlok’s debut comes in the same episode featuring a cameo by comics icon Stan Lee.

Comments (36)

• While Deathlok is hardly a Marvel “Icon”….I do think this is a positive move in the right direction. Now let’s reveal that Centipede is a branch of A.I.M. and let’s get some serious espionage drama going!

Comment by Steven Wooder – January 23, 2014 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fair ’nuff; I wasn’t 100 percent sold on “icon” either. Headline tweaked.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – January 23, 2014 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Origin story” sounds like this has been the plan all along (which they probably should have revealed sooner). I hope that is the case, and not that they are adapting the plan because the original plan wasn’t working.

Comment by the girl – January 23, 2014 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Their removing the leg and adding the eye already would seem to indicate a plan. Fun stuff.

Comment by kaleb – January 23, 2014 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The cynic in me immediately thought they realized a two time guest star was the only appealing character on the show so they decided to keep him.

Comment by Et al. – January 23, 2014 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • if they had come out at the start and said it was an origin people would have complained that they were taking too long, makes perfect sense to me to only reveal it now and i totally believe it was always part of the plan.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2014 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong…….I like the move. There are so many characters that could be used that wouldn’t be cost prohibitive to pull off on-screen. I still haven’t given up on the show. Sometimes it takes time to let a show “find itself”.

Comment by Steven Wooder – January 23, 2014 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Given how episode 12 ended I get the feeling the season finale will be when things really go nuts. Still I get the feeling if not for this show being a Marvel franchise addition it wouldn’t even make it that far. Consider we’ve got supposedly dead gravity guy and ice dude now both at the Sandbox… I keep thinking to myself, “Thunderbolts?”

Comment by Spinning Maze – January 23, 2014 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • See in the pilot they hinted Mike might get a name change and I was going, “Is the new name going to be Cage?” Still given the Netflix series that’s coming this is probably for the best, I’m always pro having B, C or even D listers from comic book universes get respectable adaptations in other mediums. Mr Freeze in Batman the Animated Series, Deadshot on Arrow…

Comment by Spinning Maze – January 23, 2014 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Weird. I had Mike pegged as “Rage”, from “New Warriors”.

Comment by Venkman007 – January 23, 2014 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, Shield has turned into Marvel 90210, and they’ve somehow managed to find a way to make a really cool idea…..boooorrring.

Comment by KenL – January 23, 2014 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too little, too late for me.

Comment by Matt – January 23, 2014 07:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited to know that he will be on the show more!

Comment by Sara – January 23, 2014 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they had built the team out of all the divisions of Shield, like the cybernetics, psionic, super powered etc… and maybe have S.W.O.R.D. show up
    I know Shield had to tie into the movie universe but I think it was a mistake, the one big problem I have with the movies is that they are based on the Ultimate universe instead of the main 616 universe. The largest difference is the no magic which hurts a lot of great story lines.

Comment by Dennis – January 23, 2014 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it’s known for a fact Marvel will be doing a Dr. Strange movie in Phase Three. They better start including magic some time.

Comment by Tiago Andrade (Mad Max Andrade) – January 23, 2014 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We agree. No way are magic & psi staying out of the AOS / MC Universe.
        The very fact that they have been repeatedly denying their existence is a pointer.
        If they are smart they will use Asgardians as a bridge into these new areas.
        ‘Course we have no guarantee they are really that smart, especially on AOS.
        But we live in hope.

Comment by The Legion of Andy – January 31, 2014 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay love J. August

Comment by Mika02 – January 23, 2014 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this.

Comment by Lori – January 23, 2014 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be much worst. They could be giving Skye powers. That being said, I doubt this will be the jolt in the arm that brings me back to the show.

Comment by CK – January 23, 2014 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s been more than hinted at given her origin….

Comment by John NYC – January 24, 2014 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Didn’t they already imply she has powers, since they’ve established she is an “object of unknown origin” (0-8-4)? and mind you, I might be wrong about the exact words/code, but when they said that, I immediately figured they meant she isn’t a regular human child.

Comment by the girl – January 24, 2014 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Skye is SOOO boring. She and Ward both. I was hoping one (or both) of them would become super, if they insist on making them the focus of the show. I still love FitzSimmons though. They’ve become the highlight of the show for me.

Comment by gdv – January 24, 2014 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well her backstory does now have her labeled as an 0-8-4

Comment by John 1138 – January 24, 2014 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this move. Deathlok isn’t a huge name, but some Marvel fans will know who he is and he is the kind of low-to-mid-level character who should appear on the show. And I hated that AOS seemed to just be throwing Richards’ character away.

Comment by Dr. Opossum – January 23, 2014 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved Deathlok since he fought with Spider-Man in an issue of Marvel Team-up and later appeared in a few issues of Captain America. Also, in the Sif episode she will be fighting the Asgardian Lorelei.

Comment by Andrew – January 23, 2014 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If AoS gets a second season, I wonder if J. August Richards will be promoted to series regular. It would be nice to have Charles Gunn back on my tv on a weekly basis.

Comment by Roy – January 23, 2014 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly – he is too good for casual guest star status

Comment by RUCookie – January 24, 2014 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smart move by the show. And anything that keeps J August on there is fine by me. He’s wonderful and I keeps hoping he’d be added to the show on a more recurring/permanent basis.

Comment by Liz – January 23, 2014 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh, this is a good step in the right direction but not it’s not nearly enough. This show had so much potential… it’s like they could go everywhere in Disneyland, yet they chose to just play by themselves in the parking lot.

Comment by Gaara – January 24, 2014 12:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People who don’t think S.H.I.E.L.D. is getting a second season are fooling themselves. While they’ve lost a lot of viewers from the premiere (okay, that’s an understatement) their ratings are still respectable and the DVR numbers for the show are still great from what I can gather. It has built-in promotion for the Marvel movies, which is obviously appealing to Disney, and the show is one of ABC’s only success stories (relatively speaking) from the new series this season. Also, how much sense would it make to order a script for a new series that is a spin-off or set in the same universe (Agent Carter) if the first show wasn’t successful for you?

It’s a rumour for now but word is they’re assembling a crew to film a Marvel pilot in Vancouver. If this is true, I’d assume that ABC is pretty close to giving Agent Carter a pilot order. I just can’t see them bothering unless they think it can make them money… and why would they think that if S.H.I.E.L.D. has been such a fiasco like many people want to believe? Dislike the show if you want, I totally understand the reasons behind that even if I don’t totally agree with all of them, but c’mon… ratings have stabilized and it’s no Killer Women, that’s for sure.

Comment by Marc Rocheleau – January 24, 2014 02:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arrow slays this show.

Comment by tv2day – January 24, 2014 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hopefully this means deathlocket is on the horizon, she has been my favourite new character in comics for the last few years, guess im going to have to listen closely for anyone with the last name ryder getting a namedrop.

Comment by Alan – January 24, 2014 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last chance to save Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.?
    This series will probably be a second season. The damage is done. This promising its ad series is a kind of ncis without atmosphere. How Whedon could screw up this series? Is he was restrained? He could not just address the chitauriis but also inhuman, eternels … could make prequels episodes of Guardians of the Galaxy.
    We could be dealing with inhuman who do everything to stay in the shadows.

Comment by Randy – January 24, 2014 08:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We agree, in part.
      But maybe the Inhumans are part of the Fantastic Four-verse and at present outside Marvel/Disney’s legal ownership?
      They would be great “lurkers” just as they were in the FF comic originally.
      And they were created by the Kree, so lead in to them.
      Eternals are probably best kept out of the MCU/AOSverse – too many super-powerful alien races will clog it up, just as the Avengers clearly has no room for more than 2 super-scientists (Tony Stark and Bruce Banner) so Hank Pym gets written out.
      (Are we hoping that, when Tony S invents Ultron, he will at least say that the AI was designed by an old buddy of his dad’s named Hank Pym?
      Maybe just a little.)

Comment by Legion of Andy – January 31, 2014 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope they make Deathlok look like he does in the comics. Marvel has a good history when it comes to staying true to the characters’ looks, but I wonder if that will carry into the tv show. I really don’t want him to just have a black suit. I like that real characters are FINALLY coming to the show. Even if they are unknowns, it’s nice to see something from the comics.

Comment by Mikael – January 24, 2014 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post