How I Met Your Mother 200th Episode First Look: The Mother's Story Revealed!

The Mother takes center stage in Monday’s 200th episode of How I Met Your Mother (CBS, 8/7c), and we’ve got your first look at the familiar scenes — and roommate! — the CBS sitcom will revisit, albeit from a different angle.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Recap: Barney’s [Spoiler] Revealed! — Plus, Ted’s Kids Get Namechecked

The milestone half-hour tells the story of what the titular mama was up to in the eight years before she met Ted. As such, viewers will once again glimpse that night Ted visited Cindy (returning guest star Rachel Bilson, Hart of Dixie) and got his first peek at the mom, not to mention the bachelor’s fateful first day teaching in the wrong classroom. But this time, it’s all told from The Mother’s point of view.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers200th Episode Starring The Mother

“Our 100th episode was very much a celebration of the cast – not that the cast doesn’t deserve celebrating even more after 200 episodes – but this is a different kind of story,” says executive producer Carter Bays. “It’s about the tale. It felt like a different kind of 200th episode, but it felt like the right one to do in terms of the greater story of the show.”

Flip through the slideshow to get a different view of HIMYM‘s past.

1. Teag says:

My only wish is that it was an hour long.

2. Will Benson says:

I bet a million dollars this is meant to be the backdoor pilot to the How I Met Your Father we’ve heard bandied about. If the numbers are up…(and Dixie gets cancelled…which it could)…I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go that route.

3. Luz says:

I’m loving this episode already! I’ve waiting for this for ages (well not so much, but you know it’s good).

4. Olivia says:

It’s about damn time they use Cristin Millioti more than 5 minutes.

5. erin says:

I love Rachel Bilson!

6. ck says:

I don’t think I’ve been this excited for a HIMYM episode for a long time

7. J says:

Bilson/Milioti together is beyond adorable. Were that there was a whole alternate series!

8. Tom Charles says:

You know theory about The Girl with the Yellow Umbrella being dead? I’m inclined to think this kind of disproves it. At least I hope it does, because I really don’t want her to be dead. I saw a thing on facebook earlier that theorized that Will died on the playground in Fresh Prince, and the cab took him to heaven etc etc. Plus there’s the one with the Rugrats where the whole show is in the older cousin’s mind because she’s a basket case, and now there’s one going about where Sandy died on the beach in Grease. I have to ask, why is everyone so frakking morbid? Why does everyone have to be dead? Why does everyone have to come up with such dark, morbid explanations? Are we, as a culture/species, really that messed up?

• Higb says:

stop reading “this one or that one” on facebook. it’s full of stories for susceptible people like you, and it’s a waste of energy, oxygen, and life. it says more about you as a person for believing /reading them as it does about our culture….

9. Fernanda says:

If the episode begins with Cristin’s Voice saying “Kids I want to tell the story about how I met your father” I will going to SCREAM. And, If the kids are adults as the funny video at Comic Con 2013 that will means that the mother is still alive in the future. Fingers crossed

10. Mika02 says:

Yay wish it was an hour!

11. Brooke says:

I know the theory about her being dead popped up after the episode where Ted went to her door and told her he wished he’d had those 45 extra days with her, but I just never took that to be a “mourning her death” sort of thing. Isn’t it kind of normal to wish someone who’s a bright spot in your life came into it earlier? Ted’s been pretty miserable during this time, with wanting to escape to Chicago and all, of course he’d wish to have met her earlier instead.

• emw says:

I’m with you Brooke… i didnt see it being morbid, everyone in his life had their someone special & he was alone going to see robots vs wrestlers.. As the old song goes..he’s so tired of being alone…lol

12. LaTrosa says:

OMG this has spinoff written all over it… how I met your father here we go!

13. Tee says:

I would have rather had a whole season about the mother and 22 minutes about the wedding weekend than vice versa.

14. Amie says:

If she’s dead and he’s wasted all this time telling his kids about his friends and every single stupid thing they did for all those years instead of talking about everything that made his dead wife and their dead mother special and wonderful… Then that would be ridiculous. Calling your show “How I Met Your Mother” and going all this time without the mother is pretty silly. But making her DEAD and going all this time without her would be offensive and sad.

15. Is there any chance this episode explains where the hell did the pineapple come from? Because seriously, that’s been ticking in my head since season 1.

• Shuayb says:

That will be one of the mysteries that probably won’t get solved… I think there was an interview with the EPs and they said that there very well will be mysteries that wont’ be able to be solved…
      I don’t even think they know how it got there, they just used it as a device to show thatTed is old when he is telling the story and to highlight how drunk he was….

• Alan says:

future ted says he doesnt know where the pineapple came from and i would assume that if the mother knew she would tell him. anyway i like the idea of having something small like that be unexplained, seems more like real life where we dont always understand everything that happens around us.

16. Shuayb says:

Can’t wait for this episode because I have grown to love the character of the Mother and she is awesome. The best casting of the entire series was Ms. Milioti. She makes perfect sense for this cast.

I also need to see how she and Robin meet, that’s the only meet we have yet to see.

17. Mikael says:

I’m so excited for this episode. Bringing the mother into this season has breathed life back into the show. All the episodes I’ve liked this year have been the ones with her in them. I can’t wait to see her for a whole episode. She just fits right in the group. I really hope there’s a flashforward of all of them at MacLaren’s.

18. CoryB says:

I know the producers are said HIMYD is completely new characters seeming to suggest it isn’t the Mom’s story but I still hold out a slim chance that is to give themselves some breathing room if it doesn’t go to series rather than having upset fans show up with pitch forks and torches.

19. SamR96 says:

I am pretty sure that the mothers name is daily as that’s one of the final episodes names.