Grey's Anatomy Contract Scoop: Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey Sign New 2-Year Deals

Ellen Pompeo Patrick Dempsey Greys AnatomyTwo down, four to go!

Grey’s Anatomy stars Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey have closed new two-year deals with ABC that has them staying on Shonda Rhimes’ venerable medical soap through Seasons 11 and 12, TVLine has learned.

VIDEO | Sandra Oh to Shonda Rhimes: Don’t Kill Off Cristina

Although ABC hasn’t formally renewed Grey’s beyond its current 10th season, the newly-brokered Pompeo/Dempsey pacts all but confirm that ABC intends to keep the show (and Meredith and Derek) around for years to come.

No word yet on the future of fellow “Originals” Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson, James Pickens Jr. and Sara Ramirez, whose contracts are also set to expire at season’s end. (Although Ramirez isn’t technically an original, she’s on the same renegotiation schedule as the others.) Sandra Oh, meanwhile, is set to depart in May.

Back in August, Rhimes told me she didn’t expect contract negotiations to go down to the wire like they did in 2012. “I spoke to [ABC Studios] and asked really clearly that I know sooner rather than later,” she shared. “Last time they kept me guessing up until almost the last minute, which was really stressful. This time I asked to know much sooner, so that we could plan for it.”

1. Alex says:

Lol this show is never going to end.

• KSM says:

If they can get people to stay, they would be nuts to get rid of it. It still consistently performs ratings wise, no small feat for a 10 year old show in today’s TV landscape.

2. Cass says:

Sara Ramirez isn’t technically an original, right? But I’d be really sad to see her go!

• Miss Rozie says:

@Cass – no, the article states that Sara Ramirez is not an original but that she is on the same negotiation schedule. I would also be sad to see her go, SHE has started to outshine some of the originals. I am sad that Sandra Oh is leaving, there is no filling HER scrubs & cap, that’s for sure. And I find it interesting that I will read something that one of the real-life persons/characters say that I read that Shonda states – i.e. – “that I know sooner rather than later” – that is a line that Owen spoke to the group of doctors in the last episode with the plane crash. In the round-table meeting he said to Teddy, Derek, Bailey & Callie that he would have to fill spaces if Alex went to Hopkins & if Yang went to Mayo & if Derek/Meredith left – that “he would like to know sooner rather than later.” I can tell who wrote what scenes when I hear this stuff ~

3. Jared says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

4. Jon L says:

I didn’t think Sara Ramirez was one of the “Originals”. I thought she was introduced a little later than the very beginning of the series.

• lou says:

Jon why don’t you re read this part again!

• Her first episode was Season 2 Episode 19

5. Troy says:

Please stop this show. I keep watching out of loyalty, but it jumped the shark around season 6.

• KSM says:

This makes NO sense to me. If you don’t like it any more, why would you watch? Loyalty is not a good reason to watch a show, unless it is like, the last season and you just want to see it play out. If you know a show is going to stick around for years and years, why watch something that doesn’t make you happy? I watch because I still enjoy it. If I didn’t, i would stop.

• Troy says:

I don’t hate it. I just don’t get into it as much as I used to. It’s still a decent way to kill a Thursday night, I just feel like the show is hurting its own legacy by continuing at this point. Kind of like ER. It never got terrible, but people will always remember the show as one that drug on 5 seasons too long.

• cycworker says:

Interesting, Troy. I didn’t realize people felt that way re: ER. I never got into that show. I just heard that it was amazing.

• Brooke says:

I don’t think ER ever lost its quality. It lost a lot of its beloved characters from the early days, even more so than Grey’s has, and I think that affected many peoples’ feelings about it.

• No says:

personal opinion: ER never dropped in quality. They consistently churned out the same caliber storylines over 15(?) seasons, even with a constantly revolving cast. For me, at least, Grey’s hasn’t been the same since season 3. They had a slight “renaissance”, if you will, after the shooting, but it was not long-lived. I feel the same as Troy in that regard – I watch out of some misplaced loyalty, out of habit I guess, but not because I’m truly interested in the show. I guess there’s just lingering curiosity as to what will happen to the characters I once liked.

• Kelly says:

I watched all 15 seasons of ER and thought it was fantastic all the way through. There were a couple of seasons where I felt weren’t quite as good as the others but still good. I still watch Grey’s out of habit where I eagerly tuned in for ER.

• Alex says:

ER did suck towards the end. I think the cut-off point was right about when Elizabeth Corday, played by Alex Kingston, left. It didn’t get bad because she left, though. It was just getting pretty bad at around that time. It was not “fantastic” all the way through. It WAS incredible during much of its run (the earlier years), but the last several were pretty stinky overall.

• Susie Ifland says:

It was an amazing show. Idon’t care when it ended ,it was still to soon for me.

• true, and unfortunately the longer they stay on, they start to “jump the shark” and get crazy

• ewwww! says:

Really? If you dislike the show, stop watching. An entire network doesn’t control what you do Thursdays at 9. Geez.

I agree that the show gets trying once in a while but over all its still great. I’ve been watching since the beginning ( they played a Tegan and Sara song in the promo) and it’s still quite entertaining.

• abz says:

I kind of understand the feeling. For me I have enjoyed the show consistently through the 8th season, but the last two seasons for me have been really up and down and this season in particular feels like they have really given up on the show. I don’t hate the show and on and off I will enjoy some episodes, but it’s been losing the magic for quite a while. You can clearly tell that more effort is being put into Scandal than into Grey’s Anatomy. They don’t seem to care much about it anymore.
      Anyways, I’ve invested almost 10 seasons into the show and regardless I plan on sticking it out till the bitter end. I just really hope it gets better and that they give Sandra Oh a good send off.

• gead says:

I so agree. This show needs to end… I can’t bear to watch my favourite actor/actresses work their asses off acting out horrible storylines. Ugh. This frustrates me so much. The only people who are probably happy with this is Merder fans.

• Wait what? Where is the loyalty of being supportive in that sentence?

6. Tia says:

YESSS, As long as they are on, I’ll keep watching. :)

7. Rebooted says:

Chambers, Wilson, and Ramirez I hope sign as well!!!! Pickens is a bonus.

• cycworker says:

My priorities, in order, are Ramirez, Chambers, Wilson, Pickens. I hate feeling like maybe Richard (Pickens) has run his course, but I’m getting to that point. Even Bailey (Wilson) is starting to feel that way. But I value them as actors and for the continuity they provide. Just maybe not in major stories.

• Babygate says:

This is exactly how I feel about the order of priorities and about Webber/ Bailey. It just feels like they are getting to the end of their utility, especially Webber.

8. Heidi says:

GOOD!!!!!! I’m thrilled to read this as I’m not crazy about all the ‘newbies’ & heard these two were leaving, thus, the end of Grey’s for me….. Until today & thanks printing the great news as I’ll be back on the Grey’s Anatomy train once again…..:)

9. Jessica says:

Wonderful news. Always a team.

10. Abby says:

They must sign Sara Ramirez she is one of the biggest reason I watch. Love her.

11. marge says:

Here’s hoping Sara and Co. get their contracts ironed out so we can have more of the people we love and less of the stupid new interns. :)

12. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised that Ellen and Patrick signed new contract deals.However just because they signed 2 year deals doesn’t mean the show won’t end after next season.The network may just want the actors tied down for 2 years and won’t have to renegotiate with them again because i think the show will probably end after its 12th season if not sooner.As for the other actors i see most of them staying too but maybe just one year deals for some of them.

• cycworker says:

I think they’ll give it the two years because of where the show is, ratings-wise. If next year they take a big drop, they’ll still give it the 12th season to wrap stuff up and give them time to figure out what to replace it with. I read an article about how things have changed and networks have such a hard time launching new dramas that they’re patient with returning ones.

13. anne says:

YEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH! That’s wonderful news!

14. Lea says:

Wohoooo. 2 more seasons with Ellen and Patrick, reason I watch. Happy it’s not the end. Not ready to say goodbye.

15. Kim says:

I need to know about Sara!!!!

16. hello says:

Is Lexi still dead? If so i don’t care

17. Angela says:

Glad to hear this. Now don’t do anything stupid like break them up. Show how a professional couple with demanding careers make marriage and family work. Still disappointed that the writers broke up Bailey’s first marriage. They could have shown a family with a stay-at-home dad, supportive of his wife being the “breadwinner.” This couple exists in my universe.

18. ben says:

Good idea. Simple reality – Ellen, Patrick and Shonda should, as a threesome, decide when this show ends. It needs to end with both Ellen and Patrick still in the cast.

• Nicole says:

I agree with this. The show really couldn’t go on without Ellen and Patrick.

• Luli says:

I agree and I would have added Sandra Oh to that mix, but due to the circumstances and that she is leaving… :( It’ll be sad to see her go, but at least we’ll ahve MerDer…

19. liloo says:

350 000 dollars/ episode I will sign too lol

20. sarah says:

So excited!

21. Babygate says:

I’m not a huge MerDer fan but I know the show would not be the same without Meredith. Derek for the most part is boring outside of the romantic scenes. Now, Sara Ramirez needs to get her contract renewed and everything will be perfect. With what they have been doing to Bailey I almost wish they write her out.

• Babygate says:

And the Chief should just retire already. He should move to Boston with Catherine and be happy over there instead of being all alone and in the shadows at GSMH.

22. Summer says:

And what about Jessica Capshaw? I want Sara to sign up again, really she is becoming centre to this show. And so has the Calzona story. + Jessica on her own is developing as a fine addition to the show. So, if Capshaw does not sign again or don’t get a contract, it means the end of Calzona (and that would not go down well). Likewise, if Sara should leave and Capshaw stays on alone.

So, does anyone know about Capshaw’s contract? how her’s work?

23. John Hibert says:

I ask a question about another show Missing and Ashley Judd and why the dummies at ABC and got no reply . Those dummies don’t know a good show So I quite watching ABC also their News

• mmartian says:

It is a shame you are missing a lot of good fiction then. If I did not know better I would almost believe their news show was real life. Aside from that, it happens to us all- unless of course you can somehow count yourself as a million viewers in the ratings.

24. Sara Leigh says:

YAYYYYY!! MerDer for 2 more seasons, so happy the Leads both signed. They are a team, which I’m always grateful for them.
    TVLine any chance for an interview with both Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey anytime soon? Would be amazing and so appreciated.

25. Fernanda says:

I hope the next two years there will be happy and challenging each other, I will hate Shonda if MerDer splits or cheating each other or one of their kids die. Please, more drama and complications but no children’s death and cheating.

26. Tiffany says:

That sucks it never going away. I’m happy for u guys who still watch.

27. Kevin says:

Ugh. This really should of been the final season. I still watch Greys and while I loved the midseason cliffhanger, the show really needs to end soon. It’s not a show that can go on forever. Now it’s going to whimper to it’s final episode.

• Jamie04 says:

I agree. At least some shows know when it’s time to say ‘no more’ . Ex: Glee

• Alex says:

Um, I think a lot of viewers believe Glee has already outlived its welcome, and it still has the rest of this season plus all of next to crap along through.

28. grace says:

If they are going to keep this show going, then ABC PLEASE see fit to give it a new show runner and writing staff! Grey’s really needs a team who can breath some life into the storylines instead of replaying the same olde, same olde with different couples. The constant repeat of triangels/breaks ups/makes ups/fights over kids, and oh yes the annual big disaster that will “change everything” is really stale.

Other networks have taken this route with long running shows successfully, soI’ve no doubt Grey’s could benefit similarly by a new showrunner and writing team with some fresh ideas.

29. KC says:

This is crazy. This show has gotten so bad. I stopped watching every episode after S5. Since then I just watch once in a while and every time, I need to change the station after 20-30 mins. It’s pretty bad.

• Nancy De says:

KC, if this show is so crazy, why do you bother? I fail to understand how fans like you don’t just find something else to do on Thursday evenings. Surely you need to enjoy life and leave this fine show to those millions who do appreciate it!

30. roz says:

best person on show and most interesting and funny is Sandra O. has everyone lost their minds?

• abz says:

Maybe I’m misreading your comment, but are saying that Sandra Oh isn’t interesting or funny? She’s been pretty much one of the primary sources (along with Callie) of comedy for the show since it began.

31. Marlene says:

I love the fact that they have new deals. I am more interested in sara and chambers. Love them

32. Pat says:

I was really surprised to hear this. I had read some time ago, that Patrick Dempsey might be leaving after this season. I guess he either changed his mind or I wish a rumor like this would never be reported unless there was a 98 percentage that it was possibly true. Anyway, I am glad that he will be around for the next couple of seasons.

33. Dan says:

I gave up on Grey’s with the Denny’s Ghost storyline.

• Alex says:

He wasn’t a ghost. He was a hallucination when Izzie was sick with cancer.

• abz says:

I really don’t get all of the hate with that storyline. I didn’t think it was that bad. Maybe it dragged on for a bit longer than needed, but it was a really sad, emotional storyline and Katherine Heigl performed it amazingly and it was very well-acted. Like @Alex said, people keep mistakenly saying “Denny’s ghost” when he was in fact a hallucination resulting from her cancer..

34. gead says:

I cannot stand to watch the interns anymore gosh they’re taking up so much screen time and tbh I don’t like them at all. Grey’s is losing their fans and its magic. With Sandra leaving, I’m leaving too. But I feel it is so extremely wasted for people like Sara, Jessica and Kevin to stay on because the storylines are just HORRIBLE recently, and I cannot imagine the crappy stuff they have in store for them and fans in the next 2 seasons. I hate that ABC just wants Grey’s to continue for the money. It should go out with a great bang than for Shonda/ABC to drag it out until fans are begging them to end it.

35. Jasmine says:

Love Sara Ramirez!..Hope she doesn’t leave if she leaves ill STOP watching for sure!!!… but I doubt she will since she has said before that she is there till the end :)… But I hope the other ones stay because I rather watched them than the BORING ASS INTERNS!.. They are sooooo sooo boring, their storylines sucked they aren’t going anywhere and we really don’t care about any of them!…

36. Abby says:

I love this news!

37. Abby says:

Want to add I don’t dislike the interns at all, though the show does still need it’s longtime players. Ross is a bit too mean, and is probably my least favorite of the new cast, but he has his good points. Jo and Stephanie are both great – I like them both better than April, and Leah has grown on me.

38. Amy says:

I’m surprised. I thought I read an interview of hers that she was moving to Spain to buy houses or something. Since they are staying I hope there’s some kind of interesting story for them. They’re kind of boring right now. I’m more interested in Jolex and Calzona now.

39. No says:

OH MY GOD NO. This show has definitely worn out its welcome – it’s been years since Grey’s was actually producing good, worthwhile television. Time to let it rest in peace already.

40. Shuayb says:

Greys is awesome, all you nay sayers can just whine and whine but the bottom line is that it makes money for ABC so it won’t be going anywhere just yet. It is shown in practically every continent. It may be given two more years and then it will end, but its gonna be on still.
    I really don’t know what people expect the show to be about… They are trying new things. Can you imagine if Meredith and Derek were still in the Will they Won’t they phase? How ridic will that be.
    The show has evolved much like the characters. If it hasn’t evolved into what you want it to be well then that’s just too damn bad.

41. greysfan says:

Awesome news. So glad Ellen and Patrick have signed 2 more years. I would say this, make it the FINAL 2 years of Grey’s. Wrap it up after season 12. That way we have an end point. Lets hope Sara, Chandra and Justin all sign on. The chief i don’t mind either way. Like i said if they are doing 2 more years make it the last 2 years. As a fan i am still really enjoying the show. This season has been pretty good and still strong after all these years but not all good things last forever. Regarding the interns the only one i can stand is Jo. Only because she is Alex’s perfect match.

42. LeeAnne says:

So happy they signed on for more. I only watch for THEM. Now let’s hope they give Ellen and Patrick screentime and good storylines. And use them!!
    Ausiello like someone said it would be amazing if you did an interview with them. :) It’s been a while since you interviewed them. Thanks.

43. cdeno says:

What about Kevin McKidd and Jessica Capshaw? What’s the status if their contracts?

44. Liz says:

Yes!! Ellen & PD are the heart of Grey’s Anatomy!

• carolann says:

yes yea yea..love the shows… and alwys watch the reruns… even tho i’ve seen them already esp.. the beginning ones..they were the best…and mer.der… favorite…thy really do belong togrth…..

45. Will says:

The more original characters they lose, the less it feels like the same show to me. That being said, while the quality doesn’t feel quite the same, I too will depart Grey’s in May when Sandra Oh leaves the series. I fast forward through most of the episodes already (especially scenes involving April or the interns) and at least with a main character departing it feels like a good stopping point — to all those who might yell at me for having an opinion on the series..

46. Alex says:

I have an idea! Anyone who whines about the show continuing and thinks it sucks? Just don’t watch! Or is that too easy, and you would rather moan and threadcrap because you have nothing better to do with your time?

47. Tinta says:

Am a big fan of Ellen, but when it comes to Sandra, she can leave for all I care, we still have the Kepners and Averys to start drama, am tired of seeing Christina on my screen but big ups to her, she a great actore #nolie

48. Gambler says:

I also hope they bring all the originals back, as well as Sara. It won’t be the same though without Sandra. After Private Practice ended I was kind of hoping Addison would return to Seattle Grace. I also would’ve liked to have seen Derek’s sister Amelia (played by Caterina Scorsone) move to Seattle Grace.

49. Summer says:

I’m also not too much of a fan of the new interns – most of them are too overbearing. Also it seems like they get more screen time than even Callie and AZ. although I think that these two might get more and more screen time in the next season or two (at least that’s my hope) – if both of them are staying on and depending on how long GA will still be continuing.

50. Godenia renea says:

I love the show . I have some great ideas .I wish I could tell.