Ratings: Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Mindy Project Surge, Supernatural Eyes a 3-Year High

Get More: News, Ratings

114B99_scn37_010With CBS’ drama line-up and ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in repeat mode, Fox’s comedies were Tuesday’s big winners.

The most sizable gains were enjoyed by Brooklyn Nine-Nine (4.5 million viewers, 1.9 demo rating), up 29 and 36 percent, and The Mindy Project‘s winter finale (3 mil/1.5), up 20 and 36 percent. Dads (3.9 mil/1.5) meanwhile rose 22 and 25 percent, and New Girl (3.7 mil/1.8) was up 16 and 13 percent.

RELATED | New Girl Vs. Mindy Project: Which Romantic Twist Was More Awww-some?

ABC’s comedies, however, weren’t laughing. Leading out of a SHIELD rerun (3.7 mil/0.9), The Goldbergs (4.7 mil/1.5) fell three tenths, while Trophy Wife (3.5 mil/1.0) ticked down a tenth to a series low.

Closing ABC’s night, Killer Women was flat at 3.6 mil/0.7.

RELATED | Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS, The Mindy Project and Much More

The CW’s numbers are subject to some NBA-related adjustment, but as it stands now, The Originals (2.35 mil/1.0) rose 14 percent and a tenth, while Supernatural (2.7 mil/1.1) was up 23 percent — to its most watched episode since Oct. 15, 2010 (“Weekend at Bobby’s”) — and a tenth.

RELATED | CW Boss Talks Inevitable Supernatural Renewal, Breaking Pointe Cancellation

Over on NBC, Biggest Loser (5.7 mil/1.9) gained two tenths, while Chicago Fire (7 mil/1.8) was flat.

Comments (35)

• Wow. Good for “Supernatural”. It was a great episode.

Comment by Carrie – January 22, 2014 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Supernatural is totally “The Little Show Than Could”! I’m just so proud of it it’s ridiculous, as if it were something of mine! But it sure deserves good :) GO Supernatural!

Comment by roz12 – January 22, 2014 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Haha the Justin Bieber fans’ plan to boycott Supernatural sure backfired.

Comment by Samantha – January 22, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I didn’t even hear about this until today and now I’m highly amused. I don’t think the boycott worked.

Comment by Tai – January 22, 2014 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess the annoying Tumblr campaign I’ve been bombarded with for the past several days to get people to watch Supernatural because of something stupid that Justin Bieber said worked then?

Comment by Mark – January 22, 2014 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So glad that Mindy’s ratings were up! It’s the best show on TV right now! I’m desperate for a season 3!

Comment by Jennifer – January 22, 2014 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here! Love how Fox, being no fools, already put the scene we all lost our minds over on youtube later that night so we could spend the rest of the evening (and next 2 months) watching it on a loop.

Comment by S. – January 22, 2014 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s exactly what I was thinking.

Comment by M – January 22, 2014 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chicago Fire was an amazing episode with a tiny cross-over into tonight’s Chicago PD. Looking forward to see it :-) Haven’t watched SPN yet but have no doubt it was great.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 22, 2014 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic for Supernatural!!!!!!!

That episode was one of the best that has been seen for a while.

Everybody was great.

Comment by Dee – January 22, 2014 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do people watch shows like the Biggest Loser? These “reality” shows just bring out the worst in people. Ooops guess I just answered my own question:(

Comment by Boiler – January 22, 2014 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch it but I think this show in particular inspires a lot of people to try and better themselves, that’s just going by some comments I’ve seen on other boards.

Comment by wrstlgirl – January 22, 2014 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah I agree. I know it still has its criticism but I think as far as reality shows go- at least this one does some good. I’ve watched it occasionally and enjoy it.

Comment by Francine – January 22, 2014 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Actually @ Boiler if you have ever watched the Biggest Loser you would know it doesnt bring out the worst in people This show is actually the opposite and brings out the best in people. Last nights was the makeover episode and it was a great episode. The Biggest Loser is all about inspiring people to be healthy and to motivate them to start excercising and eating healthy.

Comment by Girl in MD – January 22, 2014 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • OK I was talking about reality shows in general as every time I see one with big viewing I think how many decent scripted shows go away because of it. If this show really helps people great but TV really not the place for it in my own opinion. Sorry if offended

Comment by Boiler – January 22, 2014 02:30 PM PDT
  • Looks like Supernatural won’t be going anywhere anytime soon with those numbers

Comment by JohnG – January 22, 2014 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Originals is A+mazing! The show hasn’t had a bad episode(filler) and keeps getting better. Hoping Davina returns she’s one of my faves! Still upset that Tim was killed off! Supernatural was great last night, too!!

Comment by b – January 22, 2014 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is Davina coming back or what? Micheal A, any idea?

Comment by b – January 22, 2014 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that part had me so upset! i should have known it would happen but i was hoping it wouldn’t.

**spoiler alert** an article i read said she has been tweeting from set recently so theres a good chance she’ll come back. it said they will definitely be looking for ways to bring all of the girls back.

Comment by Elyse – January 22, 2014 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad for Killer Women I actually like the show i think its kinda campy but interesting plot points. Watched the Biggest Loser last night and the makeovers were AMAZING! I cried like a baby watching the reveals and then everyones families and loved ones showing up to see thier progress.

Comment by Girl in MD – January 22, 2014 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Trophy Wife just keeps getting better. Very doubtful there will be a season 2. TMP was great last night so happy the ratings are up!

Comment by Kevin – January 22, 2014 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Trophy Wife too, but the Mindy Project comes first for me. I DVRed TW and will watch tonight.

Comment by Jennifer – January 22, 2014 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Brooklyn Nine-Nine had good ratings because people like me tuned in because NCIS, NCIS LA & Person of Interest were reruns. Otherwise when these three shows are off of reruns,I will be back watching CBS.

Comment by Pat – January 22, 2014 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • LOL. I’m happy you feel you can speak for EVERYONE…must do wonders for your self esteem.

Comment by Anna – January 22, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I feel sorry you watch those shows

Comment by bk – January 22, 2014 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl and Mindy killed it last night! I wish more people would watch Mindy on a regular basis; it’s consistently funny. I just hope they handle the Mindy/Danny kiss better than New Girl handled the Nick/Jess kiss. New Girl has been sorely lacking this season, but I felt that last night’s episode was the best of the season so far.

Comment by Aprilcot – January 22, 2014 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Goldbergs is literally the best new show on TV right now. I can’t believe people haven’t gotten into it. They are literally the every family from the 80s.

Comment by Thilia – January 22, 2014 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last night was my favorite episode so far. It keeps getting better and better!

Comment by CJ – January 22, 2014 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This

Comment by Mika02 – January 22, 2014 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy and New Girl were both great last nite! The Mindy Project has been on fire this season. I just wish more people would watch. :/

Comment by Anna – January 22, 2014 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes!!! so glad Mindy Project was up. it was so awesome last night.

Comment by Mehvash – January 22, 2014 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • loved New Girl last night. I’m so glad I just started watching Brooklyn 99 it’s hilarious.

Comment by James D – January 22, 2014 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the bump for B99. Great show.

Comment by Apples – January 22, 2014 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mindy better get renewed!! Its this year’s Happy Endings!

Comment by jjovana3 – January 22, 2014 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Supernatural! After all these years it is still one of the best shows on television!

Comment by Caroline – January 23, 2014 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post