CBS Boss Weighs In on Hostages' Future and the Ongoing Mondays-at-10 Time Slot Problem

Hostages Season 2Holding court at the Television Critics Association winter press tour on Wednesday, CBS president Nina Tassler allowed for a possible second season — or more accurately, iteration — of Hostages, which this fall mustered disappointing ratings throughout its 15-episode run.

RELATED | CBS Announces Premiere Dates for Under the Dome Season 2, Halle Berry’s Extant

Hostages certainly had its challenges, but we stuck with it and we let the show have its run,” Tassler told TVLine. She then said that she “absolutely” would consider any pitches from the producers for a second run, almost assuredly featuring a new cast and premise.

“We’re always going to be open” to that possibility, Tassler told us. “The reason the show didn’t work is not because of the form, it is not because it was a serialized thriller.”

RELATED | Did the Hostages Finale Tie Things Up Too Well?

Could the larger obstacle facing Hostages — and now time slot successor Intelligence, which this week put up numbers on par with the Toni Collette/Dylan McDermott-fronted thriller — be that there simply is no room, Mondays at 10, for a third procedural? Might CBS rethink programming the highly competitive time period, where NBC’s buzzy Blacklist and ABC stalwart Castle easily command the top two spots?

In a word, no. “The tide will rise and lift all boats,” is Tassler’s mindset. “More good programming out there just means that more people are going to be watching television. I think there’s plenty of room for the right show.”

Do you think CBS should give Hostages another try?

1. wrstlgirl says:

I like the idea of another Hostages with a different cast and story. My only problem with the first go round was it as dragged out to long with nothing really happening in a few of the episodes. Tighten it up a bit and run with it.

• TV Gord says:

I agree that it was too long and that some episodes were pretty pointless, but it was also that it started out with the idea that Dylan McDermott was a bad guy. I never bought that, and sure enough, there was more to the predictable story. If they are going to go with this kind of series, they have to ease up on the pressure to insert so many implausible game changers. They have become too predictable, which goes against the whole reason to have them in the first place. They could have told this story in six weeks and followed the ‘less is more’ rule.

• Nicole says:

well I actually think that hostages was a very good show and that there should be a second season because it was a thriller

• Vickie says:

I’m with you! I get so tired of finding new shows that are creative or different and people don’t like them.

• Julie says:

I agree-bring it back but change the script a bit so it pleases those who thought it was too slow. Watched it faithfully. Also, cannot imagine it with a different cast.

• Me too, I love this show! Why do all the good shows get taken off and we’re left with crap!

• Luciano says:

I agree completely!!!! I think the show was new, fresh and creative. I thought 90% of the shows were very tightly written and moved along well. I get so sick of people saying some parts were a little slow and dragged. I’m sorry some times you have to take a break from action and have the real life and dialogue that would happen in a normal family. It can’t be nail biting, action every minute of every episode. I sincerely hope they bring back the series and with the original cast!

• Rhonda says:

I agree. I felt that way about the show VEGAS. Loved it but then it was gone.

• Rhonda says:

I agree.

• delfiteblu says:

Not unless they get some new writers. I’m telling you that family had its problems, didn’t it? Father with an affair, pregnant teen daughter, drug dealing teen son, being HOSTAGES?? I have to be honest. I thought THIS would be my show, not Blacklist, but after the first episode I started recording H and watching B. And I’m not sure I watched that many of the ones I recorded. I’d get up to date when Blacklist wasn’t on. I recorded the last two episodes to see how it ended and then, frankly, decided I totally didn’t care. I also thought the acting on that show was terrible. I know Toni Collette is revered in some corners but I thought she was awful. And I’ll never be able to see Dylan McDermott again without the ugly sneering face he wore most of the time.

CBS is capable of putting on really good drama – but Hostages wasn’t it. Like I said – without new writers I don’t see it’s ratings being as high as they WERE.

• Tom K says:

I think it would be great to have a 2 nd season if they shortened the season and made every episode thrilling, some of the episodes were boring but my family of 5 watched every show

• Nicole says:

finally, thank you at least some one doesn’t say something bad about hostages!!!!
        Hostages is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

• Eliz. D. says:

I agree, Hostages was fantastic. Please don’t change the cast, they are responsible for making it great. Try losing some of the commercials. I know they pay for the show but there were entirely too many of them. Let’s get season 2 going.

• Rhonda says:

I agree. I liked the cast. They should keep them where possible. The guy who played the husband/dad who had the affair is now on the show 24.

• Tom Walker says:

i really miss this show and Can’t believe they canceled with so many other dud same old same old shows left out their running. It was different, fascinating and unpredictable. The biggest problem was its time slot up against 2 very good shows. It was minimally worthy of a better time slot change.

• Traci Coolbroth says:

I want there to be another season as I need to know what happens next. Will Kincade’s past finally be exposed? Does the president’s daughter get her bone marrow transplant? I don’t like it when a tv show ends with so many questions up in the air. Same with books. I hate suspense.

• Kathy Shell says:

I agree! I also would like to see the loose ends tied up. With the time-frame the plot was supposed to cover being only two weeks, you would think they could have gotten it all wrapped up in 15 episodes. I enjoyed the show, but it did drag in some of the episodes.

• Anne brown says:

I want it back on! Watched it every week. Great actors and script!

• Tani says:

I can’t believe it. My husband and I LOVED Hostages!!!! It was a great show

• I loved the show-it finished here in England last week-I watched every episode -loved the actors especially Dylan McDermott-won’t be the same unless the original cast are still there.Sincerely hope there is another series.Have just started watching the re-runs of The Practice again -brilliant.Dylan McDermott one of my favourite actors-along with Clint Eastwood and Robert De Niro.

• Debi Mc Gregor says:

Ok, I too liked the show but if it isn’t going to be renewed then at least finish the danged thing!!! Give it and end so we who do/did like it know how it ended!!!

• moisy says:

I thought the series was brilliant and so did many of my friends

• Stacey Graves says:

I like it period.I like the cast.I have been wondering about it.Every time I checked to see if on I never saw it.I miss it.

• margaret says:

I personally think both Toni and Dylan should stay and the show should have a second shot at it.

2. TL says:

HOSTAGES had MANY issues with it…can we please try and forget it ever existed?

3. Keith says:

I wondered how long this show could have gone given the storyline it was going with. But using the same name but with different cast and plot for each season? Eh, I doubt the ratings would hold up for a full 2nd season. Plus Toni Collete was just a piece of wood reading lines, Most of the other actors weren’t much better save for McDermott.

Between Blacklist, Castle and Hostages I DVR’d the first 2 and watched the other on On Deamdn/online.

And no, I’m not a Neilsen rating family.

4. Joe says:

It was a VERY long 15 episodes

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, yes it was and the acting, for the most part, was pretty bland but I still like the concept.

• Nicole says:

so what, all of it was a hit and was very thrilling, and I don’t know what everyone is complaining about

• Rhonda says:

I agree with you. I want my show VEGAS back. I thought that cast and the plot was great! Love Dennis Quaid n the handsome guy who played his brother n the guy who ran the casino. And the ice princess he had working for him.

5. Lore says:

What about NCIS New Orleans, or all the family sticks together un tuesday?

6. Diz says:

10 episodes at most, not 15 please. I mainly watched because of Tate Donavon but whoever played the mother was horrible.

7. Starla says:

I loved HOSTAGES and the cast. Wish you could bring them back to.

8. Et al says:

They should do more limited series with guaranteed conclusions, but they don’t need more hostages. It was fine the way it finished.

9. Jenna says:

“…the right show.” Indeed, Nina. NBC has found it; ABC has had it; and CBS continues to underestimate the viewers’ ‘intelligence’.

10. K. says:

I’d watch again only if the husband and wife are divorced and the Dr. would get taken hostage and Duncan and his team had to go and save her!

• wrstlgirl says:

The article says that IF they do it again it will likely be an entirely different cast and story. Like another mini-series altogether.

11. Ally Oop says:

I think CBS should try a serial night time soap in there. Not a serial snoozefest like Hostages. Something aimed at females. Or better yet, make it an hour of comedies, perhaps The Crazy Ones and Mom would work there. When’s the last time any of the nets tried putting comedies in the 10-o’clock hour?

12. Ray says:

What future? Wasn’t Hostages touted as a “one and done” miniseries?

13. Andrew Hass says:

I didn’t watch Hostages but now if it is renewed a second season the show now knows what mistakes they made the first time and not to repeat them.Plus they could make it a midseason show instead of a Fall show.However i don’t think Hostages will be back.However maybe CBS can repeat Hostages during the Summer because some shows do better during the second airing because fans could be open to watching it.

• Yes. Good idea! Rerun in the summer. I’d like to see it.

I watch Blacklist. Was a toss up when the season began & it won. But I did watch Hostsges when you reran them on Saturday night.
      My question: why do the networks play the same stuff opposite each other? (Comedies at 8-10 time slot. Most are dumb!) mix it up a bit. You might be surprised!

14. Tran 2.0 says:

Mondays at 10 p.m. is one of the toughest time slot period I’ve ever seen so far this season. This could be trouble for CBS if they’re thinking about a Plan B.

15. Macheteman says:

I can’t understand CBS choices on Monday night 10pm. They’re getting hammered by the other networks and CBS can’t seem to get its intelligence out of its hostage. Both series have big problems. Hostages story spent the 1st half of the season in a bland suburban house for a setting. Ouch! Then, intelligence all but destroys Marg Helgenberger’s TV career with the unrealistic character development, lack of chemistry, and acting that is fit for a life insurance commercial. UGH! Come on CBS you can do better than that!

16. RichieS says:

How about in S2 Rhys Corio and Sandrine Holt try to break Dylan McDermott out of jail and end up having to take a new set of Hostages?

17. connerc says:

Very simple. If NCIS: New Orleans works, put it Tuesday after NCIS. Take NCIS:LA and put it Monday at 10. Should work.

18. sarah says:

Well H50 did not to that bad in ratings! However I like the pairing with Blue Bloods!

19. Doug says:

CBS had its 10 pm with Hawaii Five-O why did it have to move to the Friday night graveyard?

20. Doug says:

Move Blue Bloods to Monday night 10 pm and put Intelligence Fridays 10pm after Hawaii Five – O

21. Boiler says:

3 NCIS’??? Not my idea of great programming. Do something different

22. Liz says:

I really enjoyed Hostages, I liked the limited series structure; a whole story in 12 episodes. Really satisfying to watch. But the Monday at 10 spot is crazy. Something awesome awesome epic awesome would have to be on for me to give up Castle. I’ll tape whatever else is playing.

23. connerc says:

As for Hostages, it will not work with the same title. Another limited run series with a different title would be fine. Just tighter writing. The first hour and last four hours of Hostages were quite good. The rest could have been condensed and we would not have had to deal with stupid stories like the hostage-takers taking a time out to go rob a high-stakes poker game.

24. Hmm says:

I love Dylan McDermott. I watched because of him. Agree with a previous poster that Toni was too stiff. I would love to see this continue on with Duncan’s family being taken hostage (maybe by the POTUS’ people). There are quite a few pieces of this puzzle that I’d like to see explored, but none of it has to do with the Sanders family. I only liked Jake’s relationship with Kramer.

25. Eric says:

Although i really liked Hostages, CBS can take some notes from Australian show Underbelly. Different story per season, rightly paced episodes and the tone, composition, filming style, editing style shifts with each story rather than keeping it all the same and altering the story to fit the theme.
    Or better yet. Just straight up play the series. Probably would get more traction than anything they put in the 10pm timeslot at this point.

26. Jake says:

Wasn’t hostages conceived as continuing with the same cast?

27. SUSAN says:

I really enjoyed hostages and all the twists, hate to see it cancelled. Dyan McDermott was awesome.

28. Jimmy says:

Overall, I really liked Hostages. I watched from the beginning to the end and every episode had a pretty good cliffhanger at the end. The first episode was great, the last 3 or 4 were really great, and the ending was nicely wrapped up.

But, in the middle, I think the writers tried to do too much. There were so many sub-plots and characters and needless things that were happening that really didn’t have to, like robbing that poker game and all the white house sleeping around. And that nurse Angela’s death was dragged out for too long.

If there is a second season, I think a whole new cast, with big names like this one had, (Collette, McDermott), tighter writing, better decision making of what’s important, what’s not and when to bring in a new character (there were TOO many in season 1) and better choice of actors (that colonel Blair guy was HORRIBLE) is what is needed.

29. Helen gordon says:

I absolutely loved this show and was hooked from the first episode, i loved the actors and the storyline. I for one hope there is a second series and would without a doubt watch it

30. Salamander says:

Dylan is awesome. The family was annoying. This show has exactly the same problem as Jerry bruckhiemers The Firm had. Really stretched out story arcs with dumb side arcs. His shows really only require watchin the first and last episode of the season to understand everything. I feel bad for jerrys failure to break into television. The show hostage was probably held hostage by netflix wanting a full series. Hope Dylan gets cast in a better show. Watching him in The Practice was awesome!!!

31. Rachel says:

Dylan McDermontt is great! We absolutely love this show! Please don’t cancel it like so many others.

32. cjeffery7 says:

i have yet to finish Hostages, but i liked what i saw. i heard it has a pretty definitive ending so in that case i wont be too disappointed at its not returning. but i AM enjoying Intelligence very much and hope they at least try moving it to another night or time slot before axing it. the only thing it doesn’t have as compared to Blacklist is James Spader, who, frankly, i don’t feel that strongly about. but i think overall it’s better executed than the first two episodes of Blacklist. the ensemble is more interesting and less cartoonish, and i don’t see through half the plot contrivances.

33. David says:

It’s time for CBS to put a new Star Trek series in that timeslot. That is the right show.

34. 3dhouseofmagic says:

Disagree about the time slot-I think it would have performed better if not up against another action procedural. Hostages would have been great on Friday with Blue Bloods.
    These tv network people who think its a good idea putting all of the strong shows on at the same time are just setting them up to fail.

35. N tTVf says:

Regarding the 10pm Monday slot and CBS’ next choice for that slot; much depends upon what NBC does with Blacklist in fall 2014. Do they/NBC keep it at 10pm Monday,or move it to Thursday 9pm? That decision by NBC will impact CBS and what options they/CBS has.

36. DavidSask says:

Do another limited series maybe something horror and don’t touch the awful Hostages format again!

37. Walter Brown says:

Bring back Unforgetable.

38. Jennifer says:

I would love for there to be another season of Hostages. I really like this show.

39. Peggy Gee says:

I really enjoyed this series and would likemore

40. Riley says:

I totally Love the idea of a second season of Hostages!! I feel that it kind of ended of on a cliff hanger…. I mean what ever happened to the Sanders family after the reunited after the Ellen operated on the POTSA? and what happened with Morgan being pregnant? I mean there are still some questions to be answered that I would really like to know! Also it was such a good series I am sad that it was so short. I would really like to see what would happen if there was a second season!

41. Sharon Whit says:

I loved HOSTAGES! Please bring it back or bring another show with Dylan McDermott in lead character… He is a great actor and plays this type very well…….he needs to be on network TV…….

42. LoveHate says:

loved the show thought the actors were fantastic. Don’t know why he was turning himself in.. for his whining wife? but besides that it was great. Can’t believe that Castle out rates it.. that guy in Castle is an over actor.

43. K. Howard says:

I enjoyed Hostages!! I did get a little frustrated at times with wondering why it all was happening. I would love to see a second season. Like another person commented above I would like to see Toni Collette’s character divorced and please keep Dylan McDermott as part of it. A major reason for watching.

44. David Grijalba says:

What if the POTUS comes for Nina after finding out she was still alive and Duncan having to protect his family, or him having to protect the Sanders family for a similar reason. I discussed this with my brother and figured this would be a way for it to continue. I also figured it could continue in the same way as above if they actually did succeed in the assassination.

45. Gina Miller says:

I would like to see Hostages come back. I liked the cast and the plot!

46. Jon says:

I want more Hostages! That is all.

47. Diana Russo says:

I watched every episode and thought it was the best Tv show in years. Would love to see another season but only if Dylan McDermott stays.

• moisy says:

i agree Hostages was one of the best shows on TV another series pleeese but only if Dylan
      McDermott is in it !!!!

48. shanda says:

I would like to see hostages come back on and u guys keep duncan but some of the other actors need a change

49. Got2LoveThisSerie says:

I myself loved the first season. I’d probably love to see it’s second season.

50. Karlinka says:

like the series, don’t understand what people complaining about.vThere are plenty annoying and boring tv shows out there but Hostages in NOT one of them. I like it.

• moisy says:

i totally agree and was sad to see the last episode…it was great and we want more of
      Dylan in a 2nd season…

• JB says:

My husband and I loved Hostages! Do Not change any of the actors! It was nice to watch something worth seeing and not ANOTHER stupid reality show!