Ratings: Voice Lowers With Performance Finale, HIMYM Slips to Season Low, Hostages Ticks Up

Fight or FlightNBC’s The Voice on Monday night drew 12.7 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating, per finals — dipping 4 percent and two tenths week-to-week and also down from its previous two performance finales (Season 3: 13.4 mil/4.2, Season 4: 12.7 mil/3.7).

Leading out of that, The Sing-Off did 7.3 mil and a 2.0, up sharply from its most recent, Voice-free telecast (4.6 mil/1.3) but down 7 percent and four tenths from last Monday’s premiere.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Performance Finale Recap: I Know What You Did With Idol‘s (Overdone) Songs in the Dark

Over on CBS, a heartwarming How I Met Your Mother (7.7 mil/2.7) dipped 10 percent in the demo to a season low, 2 Broke Girls (7.6 mil/2.3) was down 15 percent, Mike & Molly (8.9 mil/2.2) rose two tenths (from last week’s repeat-hampered episode) and Mom (7.4 mil/1.9) slipped 10 percent. Hostages capped the Eye’s night with 5.1 million total viewers (an eight-week high) and a 1.2 rating (ticking up a tenth).

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Fall Finale Recap: The Bass Player vs. The Lead Singer

Elsewhere, Fox’s Almost Human (5.3 mil/1.6) dipped another 11 percent… ABC’s Christmas Light Fight (4.0 mil/1.0) fell 28 percent from its premiere.

1. John 1138 says:

People who skipped How I Met Your Mother missed a terrific episode.

• Boiler says:

I think the episodes have been very good but still not warming up to the story telling of just one weekend. It helps to have some flashbacks but….Still wish there was a way for some of the cast to continue on. Ratings are there

• MTB says:

The only time HIMYM is good this season is when “The Mother” is on. Because it is new. Different. I think it has been eye gouging painful.

• Mikael says:

I agree. The episodes I’ve liked the most are the ones with The Mother in them. Last week, she was in most of the episode and it was great! She’s a breath of fresh air

2. Zayne says:

They had no reason to expect this episode would be as good as it turned out to be based on the last 3 fairly terrible episodes. HIMYM did this to itself.

• John 1138 says:

True, I almost added a similar thought to my original post.

• B232B says:

I agree. You could even say that for the majority of the season.

• Gerald says:

HIMYM has really been hitting the nail on the head this season. Each episode is perfect. Inching the story forward while providing touching and funny moments. Loved this episode and loved the whole season thus far.

• DL says:

Disagree. Most episodes haven’t moved the story ahead at all.

• c says:

Not even close! With the exception of last night, I have been completely disappointed with that we got so far.

• Brooke says:

Nooo, disagree completely. Now, there have been some awesome episodes and awesome moments, for sure. But overall, it has just gotten cartoony and bizarre. There are so many moments that are just goofy and forced instead of the natural hilarity of the earlier seasons. It feels like there is a brand new stable of writers this year who don’t actually understand the characters, they just have some notecards with bullet points on them that they’re trying to follow.

• John 1138 says:

I’m starting to feel they are just spooked by the solid end date and have been thrown off their game. Just WAY too much time to think about it all and they’ve overthought and come up with this…. string of filler.

3. K. says:

The Voice should be down after that crappy music they sang last night! I’m glad I taped mine and was able to fast forward through most of it!!!

• And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going To Watch! says:

You’re probably right, people probably saw those song spoilers and said “Oh Hell No!” LOL.

• I really hope the producers look at the ratings and realize their viewers do not want to see boring pop singer sing boring pop songs. If they did, they can always watch American Idol. Hopefully the found better and more diverse talent next season or it may be my last.

4. wrstlgirl says:

Anyone know how many eps of Hostages there are left?

5. kevin says:

I wonder if having 2 cycles of the voice on per year is hurting its ratings, I know a lot of ppl who don’t feel the urgency to tune in bc the new cycle comes very soon anyways

• I think it was the lack of talent this season that hurt the ratings because the premiere was the best rated in the show’s history with the exception of season 2 which was launched with the Super Bowl. And yet they still ended up with the lowest rated performance finale ever. A lot of people tuned out as better talent got dumped for a very lackluster final three.

• Walrus says:

Eh. I stayed away from this cycle just because Xtina and Cee Lo were coming back. I’ll come back when Shakira does.

6. Emma says:

I’m going to venture a guess that Blake Shelton not having a contestant in the finale also had something to do with the decline in ratings

7. Rich Abey says:

The ratings are lying this week when it comes to the 2 Broke Girls & HIMYM. They were HI-larious! Choked up on my coke big time.