Homeland Finale Post Mortem: EP Reveals Whether [Spoiler] Is Really Dead, Confirms [Spoiler] Will Be Back, Teases Season 4 Storyline

Homeland Brody DeathHomeland fans are still holding out for a miracle.

It’s been 24 hours since the Showtime drama killed off Damian Lewis’ Brody and not everyone is convinced that he’s dead.

RELATED | Homeland Exclusive: Two Original Castmembers Not Returning as Regulars in Season 4

“All [the] evidence points to his death, undoubtedly,” exec producer Alex Gansa tells TVLine, dismissing speculation that Brody’s public hanging was somehow staged. “I encourage [doubters] to watch the episode again. The issue has been settled. He is not unkillable.”

One burning question down, another 10 to go. Read on as Gansa addresses the other big unsolved mysteries coming out of Sunday’s Season 3 finale, including the future of Mandy Patinkin’s Saul and Rupert Friend’s Quinn.

TVLINE | It’s no secret that you considered killing off Brody sooner than Season 3, but Showtime pushed back. Was everyone on the same page this time around?
Yes, there was pushback last season. There was pushback at the end of the first season. There was pushback this season. But all done in very good spirit of, “Let’s make sure this is the right call.” For example, last season, I am so grateful that Showtime convinced us that we had more story to tell, because indeed we did have more story to tell. I don’t think it was enough story for an entire season, which is why you didn’t see Brody in every episode. But, my God, the last sweep of episodes — from Episode 8 on to the finale — there was stuff still to go through with Brody and Carrie. And I’m grateful that they convinced us of such. But there was a real strong feeling, both at Showtime and in the story room, that we’ve crossed a lot of emotional ground and the time was right. Hopefully, it was the correct decision.

RELATED | Homeland Season 3 Finale Recap: Who Died? Who Left the CIA? Who Moved?

TVLINE | Why did you decide not to show Jessica or Dana’s reaction to learning of Brody’s death and that he died a hero?
Neither Carrie nor Saul were in a position to tell the Brody family the truth. The secrecy surrounding the operation — the idea that Brody was actually a CIA agent operating on their behalf — is something that had to be kept secret. It was the whole foundation of the Iranian/American détente. If the Iranians realized that this was a CIA operation, if there was a breath or a whisper of that, everything would go up in smoke. So Dana and Jessica would never be allowed to be privy to that. And indeed if Carrie had been successful in convincing Lockhart to put Brody’s star up on the wall, it would have been an anonymous star. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that if you couldn’t tell the Brody family this piece of information, their responses would be no different than the responses that we’ve seen from them already. Dana would be fine. “OK, he’s dead; good riddance.” Which is pretty much what she told him in the hotel. We felt it would be a retread, and not as compelling as chronicling Carrie’s reaction to his death.

TVLINE | Even though Morena Baccarin and Morgan Saylor are not returning as regulars, might we see them return as guest stars in Season 4?
We should always hold out that possibility. It’s a definite possibility. I would not be surprised if you saw Jessica or Dana one or two more times.

TVLINE | Will Season 4 include Mandy Patinkin?
It definitely includes Mandy Patinkin. That I can tell you. And the rationale is, [Saul] is now a private contractor, and the CIA does outsource so much intelligence work to these private contractors. So even though Saul may not have a desk at Langley anymore, his interface with the agency is going to be big.

TVLINE | And Rupert Friend?
One of the ideas that we’re really toying around with next year is [to have] Carrie go and do what she was trained to do, and that is be a case officer in a foreign country. And as she mentioned to Sen. Lockhart, she gets to choose her own people. So Quinn, Fara… Virgil and possibly Max may come along with her. We get to bring some of our familiar faces overseas.

TVLINE | How did real life inroads with Iran affect storyline, or was everything locked by then?
Everything was locked by then. And we were a little nervous about how quickly events were transpiring on the ground in Geneva. This détente had been reached and we were worried we were a little behind the news. But, ultimately, I don’t think we were.

TVLINE | Is it possible Homeland‘s fourth season could be a show about a working mother?
Absolutely. That’s certainly one direction it could go — and an interesting one. I don’t think you’d spend a lot of time [on that], but who knows? Read Valerie Plame’s book about being a case officer and having a child. It’s an interesting dynamic.

TVLINE | What exactly did Carrie write on the memorial at the end?
She just drew the star. That’s all she did.

1. Patrick says:

They left enough wiggle room to bring him back if the numbers warrant it. Specifically, if the ratings are low enough, they will pay him enough, and he will come back.

• x says:

really?! REALLY?! dude, he’s DEAD. let him be dead!

• A says:

Seriously. The Star was sad, but it was a beautifully tragic goodbye to a beautifully tragic character. Just let it be done with.

• Jaz7 says:

What is hard for viewer’s to deal with is that Brody never got his peace. DON’T forget this is one of our Marines that was a POW and was severely brainwashed. He never got the redemption his heart yearned for. He believed there was a glimmer of hope when he heard about the baby, and than was hung with no one knowing he wasn’t the one who attacked Langley. I don’t think I want to watch the show anymore because the way they left off was that OUR COUNTRY would leave one of it’s own, that has sacrificed his whole life for OUR Government out in the cold after achieving an impossible mission. Let’s not forget Brody’s whole life had been sacrificed by OUR Government in this Series because he let Kari know that he was born on a military base while his father was serving. So as a child he was going where the Military moved his father. I’m sorry but I get enough of the real world in the REAL WORLD sometimes you want someone to magically make it through something like this on a show. It makes you feel good. This ending has me not wanting to watch any further cause the “GOOD GUYS” didn’t win. The real world has enough misery.

• Rose says:

I agree! And what made it worse is that Carrie kept working for these people, they literally fed Brody to the wolves after he completed what they set him out to do, and she goes back to work with them, for them…and they didn’t even have the decency to clean his name for the langley bombing!

• jazzyt2u says:

You do remember he killed the VP. So the take away, he follows through on his plans regardless if it’s from a terrorist or the government.

• cellomaestra says:

I agree as well. The heart has gone out of Homeland for me. While Claire Danes, Mandy Pantinkin and F. Murray Abraham make up a remaining stellar cast, Brody was the draw for me. I kept waiting for some miraculous rescue during the hanging scene – and when it did not come I was devastated. The scene when Carrie tells her sister how sad she is was heart wrenching. I am very angry with the writers and producers for allowing this to happen. I am done with it.

• drora says:

Rose – Carrie can’t quit now. She needs the job: 1. she is pregnant and 2. her sister can’t continue stealing medicines for her forever – she has a few kids of her own and needs her job and her own health insurance.

• Rose says:

Are you telling me that someone with her experience wouldn’t get another job…with a private agency she would make loads of money and have time for her girl (if she wanted her) and take better care of her illness! And in the end, any thing would be better than keep working for the people who led Brody to his death!

• Betty Shaw says:

I agree -what an awful ending .It was so sad and I won’t watch it again /

• Helpisa Jundi says:

I totally agree with you. Brody shouldn’t be left alone to die after all he has been through. Think of all americans who are sent to fight and who believe that they will be rescued if they need it. I’m Brazilian but this is something we all know about American government: they would never let their men behind. I’m really disappointed and frustrated with this last season. If he doesn’t come back I will be done with watching Homeland!

• itchyfruits says:

I COMPLETELY AGREE WITH EVERY WORD YOU SAID!!! We all have enough real life in our lives. I really was hoping for something a little more hearty

• elijahlover says:

Well said ;)

• That’s how real life is though. So basically they have made it too real for someone like you who just wants to believe in fantasies. if the USA had a spy in Iran to kill someone to get a puppet official/president into power and had to sacrifice 1 American citizen to do it. They would. Research all the atrocities the CIA have backed they have no shame at the CIA.

• MJ says:

You all have to be kidding, right? I can’t take another season of Brody and his sad-sack depressing/morose family of his. Thank goodness we are moving on finally.

• Tango palm says:

i agree, brody never found any peace, thats what upset me and the scene where carrie said she was sad was truly heart breaking, great performance but really heart felt. i won’t be watching the next season!!!!

• Kay says:

Do you think it is feasible that a brainwashed marine could ever be loyal to his family and country ever again? Brodie did not attempt to get psychological help or did not get an offer to go through psychiatric care in season 1. I disliked him from the get-go and had no respect for him or what his brain-washed psyche stood for. I always wanted him to get caught in his terrorist efforts as I’m sure most patriotic viewers did as well. But now we are sobbing over his demise on the series. He is poison for carrie’s life as a field agent and other engaging story lines by engaging writers (perhaps needed to be hired) can be developed to soothe the effects of losing Brodie. Tired of the old story line!

• Kay says:

• DISAPPOINTED says:

YOU SAID IT RIGHT!! I AM NOT WATCHING NEXT SEASON EITHER!! I AM SOOOO DISAPPOINTED! AND SO IS EVERYONE ELSE THAT I TALK TO…THEY LOVE BRODY…HE WAS THE POINT OF THE SHOW. I LOVE HIM AND CARRIE TOGETHER. I LOVE THEIR FORBIDDEN LOVE. THE DYNAMIC THAT THEY HAVE. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO SEE THEM TOGETHER GETTING REVENGE ON THOSE WHO BETRAYED THEM. I AM SO DISAPPOINTED THAT IF HE IS NOT SOMEHOW ALIVE NEXT SEASON I WILL NEVER WATCH THIS. THE CHEMISTRY WITH HIM AND CARRIE WAS BEYOND PERFECT! ALEX GANSA MESSED UP! HE NEEDS TO FIX THIS SHOW OR ELSE THE MAJORITY OF THE FANS WILL BE DISAPPOINTED.

I HOPE BRODY’S DEATH WAS STAGED. THAT HE IS BEING SECRETLY HELPED BY SAL AGAIN! HE UNDER HIDING AND STAGING A PLAN TO TAKE DOWN THE HEAD OF THE CIA. CARRIE FINDS OUT AND SHE HELPS HIM AND HE GETS TO SEE HIS NEW BABY. HE FIGHTS FOR THIS CHILD WHO DESERVES A DAD. HE FIGHTS FOR DANA. I WANT TO SEE HIM WIN FOR ONCE. THERE WAS NO CLOSURE WITH BRODY. AN INNOCENT POW GETS KILLED? REALLY? AND THE CIA WINS? THE WRITERS OF THE FINALE SUCK!

• Mary says:

I agree. I just finished watching all the seasons one after the other on my cable station. I am so disappointed. I feel like the story with Brody is not finished. Why would you want to have Carrie get pregnant only to take out the father? This is not real life but entertainment. Brody is not a real hero because of the murders he did commit but his character was flawed by what can happen under torture and stress that was portrayed effectively in the show. Please we need something good for Brody, Carrie and her child (and his other children) as closure. The real world does have enough misery.

• Alessia says:

You are totally right!!!
            I hate that Brody had to die!!! He was a real hero and it was stupid to let him die……. I don’t want to watch seson 4 after this stupid end.
            It was such a great story but now they killed everything:-(

• johnhelvete says:

This is not Nikita on the CW, Brody is dead.

• nancy says:

It makes me sick that he dies – you can bring him back if you want to. Gee whiz that is horrible. I cried after he had to leave at the end of the second season and why does a wonderful series kill him off – he deserved his happiness as well as carrie needs brody

• Chuck Finley says:

He’s dead, they left NO wiggle room. He is not coming back. Stop being delusional.

• I think the problem with people thinking he could be dead is how easy it would be to fake it. He was hanging and choking. He wasn’t dropped to break his neck and they didn’t show a nasty rotting corpse hung up on that Christmas noose four months later. He could have been wearing a harness that attaches to a hidden hook and Brody could have been pretending to die. It’s the way it was depicted. An old-fashioned beheading would leave no doubt at all.
        Still, I don’t believe they’re trying to pull one over us and I really hope that’s the case. Because if Brody comes back after being involved in another insane conspiracy, that will be burning off the last ounce of credibility the show still has.

• hackinsat says:

I agree. It was they way they did it. Hoist him up on a crane. Really… Normally in hangings the condemned is dropped so the sudden stop at the end breaks the next. The rope appeared more under his chin than around his neck. Brodie could be working again this time for the Iranians, or perhaps he will be the new “Osama bin laden”. There are many ways this story line can go. Next season they could be chasing a “ghost” all season, and in the season finally, it is revealed that brodie is indeed alive and well.

Another ending that leaves a question in my mind was the finally to breaking bad. We all assume that ww was dead, but as the camera pulled back not one of the police officers that arrived even bothered to check him. Perhaps he is just unconscious, and down the road with the next show old ww will be back again with his old friends getting in trouble.

A beheading, or firing squad would have left do doubt. Now there is doubt that it was staged, and it is brilliant writing. The fact that so many are sounding off on this topic proves that.

• Annie says:

Guys, this is how they do it in Tehran. Turn off safe-search and search Google Images if you don’t believe me. Trust. Brody’s dead as the proverbial door-nail.

• cravingglory says:

Three words: Zombie Apocalypse Marine!

• Rose says:

Damian Lewis was under contract for more seasons, so they don’t need to pay him more. They killed his character and I believe he will stay dead. It’s a shame though, for me, his story was the heart of the whole show!

• greysfan says:

Brody is dead. Deal with it. It was emotional to watch. I don’t know what Season 4 will bring us though. There will be a hole there but i am sure they will work something out.

• Annie says:

He’s dead, Jim. He’s an ex-Brody. He’s not coming back. (If he does, the levels of shark-vaulting will be off the charts, and this show will be toast, for real.)

• Just Stop says:

He’s dead. He’s really, really dead. Everyone who thinks he’s going to come back or think he could come back weren’t watching. There is no “wiggle room.” He’s definitely, positively, absolutely dead. Move. On.

• Al says:

How can a tv show lose credibility? It’s tv it isn’t reality if I wanted reality I’d watch a reality show to see fake reality. This story isn’t true for the people who say “he’s dead deal with it” There is wiggle room not much but a tiny bit. Other people posted some possibilities I don’t think they broody should have been killed off just yet. One or two more seasons for the show to gradually featuring a bigger threat than broody and then they coulda killed him off. But I do find myself less interested. I honestly only had showtime for a couple of shows one being homeland. Ill probably cancel my subscription and stream the show on some website when the next season is over because I won’t pay for homeland until they pull out a plot that interests me again. I think Brody is gone for good but doesn’t mean i wouldnt want to see him back.

• Dave Davies says:

Well, just finished watching in January – we always record and watch the whole series consecutively – the wife and I feel bereaved. In the UK we get Homeland later than the US. Surely there is so much latitude for Nicholas to be “magically” hanged but somehow saved. There is so much more for Carrie and Nicholas to do, but not for the CIA. The tender moment when they were in the “safe” house when Carrie was soothing him really was touching. Come on Showtime don’t ruin a strong storyline. We want to look forward to season 4!

2. Stacie says:

I think they are going down with the ship, in terms of Brody’s death. If the ratings plunge because he is gone and people lose interest then so be it, if the ratings stay the same or do well then they will know they made the right move. No matter what they will stand by this decision and the show’s future will go along with it. I know this show got soap opera-y here and there but I don’t think this time they are bringing him back from the dead. I think the move of killing him was one they wrote themselves into. Do I think there was a way they could have redeemed him and made it interesting at the same time? Sure, but the way they wrote it, and had things planned out made it impossible for him to be redeemed and for him to continue on.

• Al says:

Your absolutely right. They will sink or swim from this decisions I’d like to see him back but they will probably stick to their guns. Good comment no one else said it. And I may stop watching homeland until season 4 is over.

3. Tran 2.0 says:

Now that Brody is gone for good, where does Homeland go from here and how long it would take for the series to end? Homeland is still taking a page out of 24’s playbook.

4. A says:

Wow, Carrie, Quinn, Fara, Max, and Virgil working together as a team all the time? It really is Christmas – please let it happen. Unfortunately you can’t always get what you want, so Saul isn’t there working with them as part of the team, but I can’t wait to see where the show goes.

5. Jake says:

So does this mean we’ll get some Carrie and Quinn action next season? And by action I mean bow chicka wow wow.

6. Doug says:

Totally diggin the badass CIA crew Carrie will have starting with Quinn… I enjoy the team ups. Hoping we’ll see more of Quinn and hoping Saul will join the badass crew as well. Looking forward to season 4.

7. D says:

This season was so boring until Brody came back not sure if I can watch it without him. Quinn is such a horrible and boring character. If Carrie gets with Quinn then she is the most pathetic weak woman ever, he shot her.

8. Rose says:

I think this will be it for me with Homeland. I loved this show from the beginning but this season in the episodes without Brody, I found them quite dragging so I don’t think that any story will compel me enough to watch it! Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t think so.
    I just can’t find myself caring for Saul and his new job or how Carrie will fare with a baby, her job and her illness. It’s not what made me love Homeland!
    I think I would have preferred to watch Carrie turn her back on the CIA and the people that let the man she loved be killed after promising to bring him out instead of accepting a promotion!

• panteha hunter says:

you are so right…theres no show without him, how could they kill of one of the main characters????? they used him and abused him then he was disposed… he couldve still work for them… they couldve trained him and and used him as one of their agents he did everything they asked of him…
      ALEX GANSA you SUCK…
      and your damn writers… hope the ratings falls so drastically… you turned the great show to semi boring show then to a terrible show… very sad

• BA says:

I totally agree, couldn’t say it better. Too many male writers on board. Typical male fantasies. Even the great Tolstoi needed his wife to build the great romantic arcs in War and Peace. Half of the writers should be woman for much better balance of the story.

• Brodyfan says:

I totally agree with you Rose. He’s not dead. I think I saw a trailer for next season where he comes back all happy and smiling. I don’t care if they end the whole show but Brody deserves some kind of happy ending after all they put him through.I won’t watch again either. You can only manipulate the viewer’s emotions so much. There is enough horror going on in the real world. It is not entertaining to find fantasy is even worse! Who needs it!

• MJ says:

Rose, just because you post this same opinion on this here over and over doesn’t make it right.

In the end, substance usually defeats process.

• Rose says:

If you had deigned to look at the time and date for a second you would have seen that this was my first comment here, the others were replies to what other people said…which is usually what happens in comments!
        And just because you don’t agree with what I say that doesn’t make it wrong!

9. Alia says:

And there’s the blind item. So should we expect to see some casting news regarding Damian Lewis in the very near future?

• Sparky says:

Didn’t the blind item imply that the actor had signed for a new show and that prompted the show he was currently in to have him written out of said show. Could be wrong but how much of the finale was also pushed along by Damian Lewis decision to put the character to bed and finally move on??? Gotta wonder…. Either way RIP Brody….he was a huge part of why I loved the show. Too early to tell if I’ll be back for more next year!!!!

• Just Stop says:

No. The blind item implied that the character was being written off of the show and THAT’s why he got another job. He was under contract, so he couldn’t go looking for another job even if he wanted to, unless they let him go. Which they did. Killing Brody was always the plan, it just took a lot longer than they originally planned.

• Francine says:

I’m starting to wonder if this blind item is still valid. It’s been two months since it was posted and it stated we wouldn’t have to wait very long… Plus it said we’d know about the actors new gig the morning after the show. So I’d guess something must have changed. Are there any shows left that have not aired their mid-season or season finales yet?

• Jess says:

That’s what I’ve been thinking too, that something happened behind the scenes and the storyline was changed. I don’t think there are any more mid-season finales left after tomorrow.

• rarefied says:

It’s possible that it’s still valid and about Lewis, but maybe they’ve put the announcement on hold for a while until the scandal about his homophobic remarks dies down.

• Ewa says:

Maybe they just want to avoid angering people who consider an information (Brody’s death) from an aired episode to still be a spoiler for, like, the next two months? Can you imagine their outrage if the next headline on TvLine right now was “Damien Lewis to star in a new show”?

Plus, this really is not the best moment for Lewis PR-wise, he unwillingly did let it slip that he is a total d-bag :P I mean, is ian McKellen really someone you want to be criticising???

• dude says:

I don’t think if that was a consideration, they’d have said the news would be posted the morning after in the first place. I think Brody was the blind item, his new project just may have fell through or maybe something happened behind the scenes and he was recast.

10. Marie says:

Is this the blind item???

11. Roxy says:

Ok I’m a sentimental schmuck so I can’t process the fact that Brody is dead. Perhaps this is a ruse put on by Jivadi. Gave him some sort of drugs or harness to prevent him from actually dying but allowed him to ‘die’ in the public’s eye. Maybe there is something sinister going on with Jivadi, as I really don’t see such a evil man turning such a corner where he is all peace and understanding. If he’s the new leader of the Iranian party then will that money he stole still hold the weight it would have in the past. And if so why didn’t Carrie threaten to expose him had he not saved Brody. I think Brody is being held in prison by Jivadi waiting for a great purpose. Or so I’m going to believe because Homeland without Brody is like the Office without Michael Scott. Destined to be cancelled.

• Just Stop says:

Dead. Dead. Dead. He’s really dead. You saw the noose put around his neck. There was no harness. He’s super, super, super dead.

12. Joe says:

I’d love to see a season where Carrie isn’t a total emotional wreck.

13. HereThere says:

So is he your Blind item? or OUaT????

14. Ange says:

Who we consider the stars of shows die on a regular basis. Brody is dead.

15. Emily says:

Im gonna miss Brody. i really thought brody was the core of the show apart from carrie.both of them were really good characters and had really good chemistry and a good dynamic.i dont know how they are going to create another interesting story line for next season.i dont know if ill watch the show again cos i really like brody on my tv screen

• D says:

I read something a few months ago about an Iranian Prisoner who was hung and didn’t die . I was hoping that would be the case for Brody. He took these deep breaths before they put the noose on him . I thought it was some king of Seal breath storage thing and he kept talking about not being able to die like a cockroach. I thought that was foreshadowing . He’s a great actor. I think they should keep him !!!

16. DavidSask says:

This show doesn’t deserve a re-boot it needs to go but I guess syndication always wins!

17. Susan says:

Heartbroken by Brody’s death.

18. heLLpaso says:

We need more Virgil!

19. Siouxsie Sus says:

I am also devistated that they killed Brody! I was sobbing… yes it was a tear jerker! He is a great actor and had the most compelling.. ‘edge of your seat action’ happen to him. There were 2 lead characters… Carrie & Brody. How could they kill a lead character ?? Saul’s departure… Carrie not wanting to be the Mother to Brody’s child & Moving the team to Turkey… I just don’t know if it will be as exciting. I hope the Saul/Carrie relationship has to get back together… He was her ‘Rock’ ! I think that is the only way the show will be able to survive… and maybe if Quinn has a bigger, more romantic role w/ carrie…(deep down he is a caring character)
    …. but so sad won’t see Brody anymore… I can only hope they have a BIG surprise that he really isn’t dead in Season 4..!!

20. DanielleZ says:

Watched the Season 4 finale again. So sad but very well done. I’ll miss Brody. I’m planning to tune in next season but it won’t be the same. It would be nice if Carrie took Quinn and Virgil with her to Istanbul and I’m happy Saul is returning. Love Alex Gansa’s mention of Valerie Plame near the end of the interview. She is a total badass. I’m assuming he’s talking about her book “Blowback.” “Fair Game” is also a good read about her.

• DanielleZ says:

To correct one of my comments, Gansa must be referring to “Fair Game” in his mention of Valerie Plame because “Blowback” is fiction. I’ve not read the latter.

21. John says:

They’re going to bring Damian Lewis back as Brody’s long lost twin brother….

22. Anonymous says:

Really? Carrie, Quinn, virgil and Fara working together. OOh sounds so exciting! NOT. As far as I’m concerned the Homeland that was is over without the Brody/Carrie dynamic. Bye Bye

23. homeland-fan-no-more says:

No Brody and No saul/Carrie relationship anymore? Just doesn’t seem interesting anymore. Brody and Carrie are the core of the show.

24. Amber Sky says:

I thought that the whole point of Season 3 was to clear Brody’s name (not kill him).

And the way Carrie was treated, disrespected, even shot, has been most disturbing to watch. I found the whole thing abusive.

For me Season 3 was a major disappointment from start to finish, even more so because season 1 and 2 was so compelling.

First mistake was killing off so many main characters at the end of series 2. And now without Brody I can see no way back, as Lockhart and Dar Adal are about as compelling to watch as a slice of moldy bread.

Carrie is the only person holding the series together but she cant do it all on her own as she needs other dynamic characters to develop her character in new directions.

25. Brody IS Homeland. Killing the lead is always a bad idea. No respect for the fans. We deserved a happy ending!

• suzette says:

how are they being disrespectful? because they’re not making the show about two lovers? about Brody being forgiven and living in peace when everybody knows the US would NEVER do that?

the writers of this show have continuously proved themselves and I trust them to make an amazing season 4, a lot smarter than that.

• Bob says:

He wasn’t supposed to be “the show”. His character originally was supposed to die at the end of Season 1. Only the intervention of Showtime (CBS) executives changed that plan.

• Rose says:

Because when a character is THAT good and THAT loved by fans you change, you evolve the story for a better one! It happened on other shows so keeping Brody was the best decision they ever took and I thank them for these 3 seasons but now I say goodbye….,and judging from the comments, the majority of the fans thinks the same!

26. suzette says:

People here asking for a happy ending make me wonder if we’re watching the same show, come on.

While I did enjoy the entire season, I found myself enjoying A LOT the episodes WITHOUT Brody because as much as I loved his character, his story was getting old and it was stretched to the point where there was just no escape, and yet the managed to kill him with grace, having a big impact on the story, instead of just dispatching him.

I loved the dynamic between Saul, Carrie and Peter, and I definitely see the show working without Brody.

• Rose says:

I’m curious, what exactly did you like about the episodes without Brody? Carrie once more in hospital? Or Saul’s wife having an affair? Or the useless Dana’s story line?
      The best episodes were the one with Brody in Caracas and when he was brought back! The 2nd one especially, Damian kept me glued to the screen with his performance…for me that was what Homeland was about and what made it watchable!

• Virginia says:

Totally agreed!!!! Dana´s story was SO useless…

• QueenMary says:

I liked watching Carrie, Saul and Queen working together (how to frame Javadi) and I didn’t feel much Brody’s absence. The Dana storyline though was boring to death. Now that’s a character i would never like to see again!
        That being said, I have to admit I really disliked the season finale regarding what they did to Brody. For me the two main characters were Carrie and him. I never thought a show could just kill off one of the main characters unless it’s a series finale.
        I guess the new “couple” now will be Carrie-Queen and while I’m very interested to see how this’ll go I can’t help feeling that something will be missing big time from next season…

27. tp says:

oh my……well folks what a really i good show..ol brody could go either way his kids are uselessi I really ldislike lockheart
    the ratings are already down no.awards I mean in masters beqts you wow…..itsnotthhing without talking about littlte dicks and getting to see some pretty titties allbeit small….you better bring him back with no guessing.

and dexter wlso

28. Cesc says:

Brody is Homeland. No Brody, no Homeland…

29. Katie says:

I still can’t believe that Claire Danes didn’t get a golden globe nomination, a hat trick of wins might have been a bit much, but not even a nomination!!! Tis cray cray
    Also he’s definitely dead, but I can’t imagine the show without him

30. Virginia says:

31. Virginia says:

Two-and-a Half-Men leaving-Charlie-out-of-the-picture same story again… I think this is the end of Homeland… :( :(

32. trish says:

I really think the show will die in season 4. The Brody/Carrie relationship kept it alive this long. Bringing him back will be the shows only way of saving.

33. John says:

That really felt like a SERIES finale. I think I’m going to treat it as such…

34. Anna bi says:

What a terrible mistake to kill Brody. And in such an ugly way.
    You can forget me! I am done with Homeland. I am Sooo upset. My reason to like Homeland was the great Damian Lewis , THAT IS ALL !!!

35. Rusty says:

The show ended the way it should have last season. Brody is dead. I hope Damian Lewis gets a new role somewhere. I really like him, loved him in Life. I was hoping that as Carrie was going to her apartment, that a shadowy figure would be shown shooting her in the head. That would have been a good ending. Can’t stand her whinny, crazy character. It is totally unbelievable that the new director would keep her on or give her a major posting. The show is over and should be cancelled.

36. joan says:

Season 3 was a bit lackluster until Brody showed up. If his death wasn’t staged, then this show is going to lose viewers. Whatever the writers originally intended for this show, the game changed when Damien Lewis walked on the set. Brody IS Homeland. His journey toward redemption, freedom, family reconciliation, and even heroic status could have been material for several more seasons. The writers took the lazy way out. There are those who complain about the show’s credibility. Folks, this is just entertainment, CARRIE IS NOT CREDIBLE and she is still with the Agency.

37. Azerty says:

I will watch season 4 but I don’t know, with Brody only for a couple of episodes this season it was not very good so without him at all…Season 1 and 2 were the best because of the questions about Brody and his doubts “will he do it?” “will he put the bomb?” “will he get caught?” “what’s Carrie gonna do?” etc. I didn’t feel this tension this year and I don’t know if they can recreate the magic. Just have to wait and see.

38. Maryann says:

I was planning on watching the whole series from the beginning. I only watched episode 1, but didn’t want to waste the time on the series unless Brody found redemption and/or exoneration in the end. I watch my movies on netflix, so I have no reason now to keep my Showtime subscription.

39. Kale says:

I can deal with Brodys death but I hate how they skirted past it with the time jump. How can Carrie still work for the people that helped kill the person she loves most? I still would like to see his family find the truth about him out.

40. Joe says:

Great show, but this last show for the season may as well have been billed as the series finale. Intense until the hanging. Silly, unrealistic and poorly written – Four months later. The interesting characters and story line dynamic died with Brody. As for the people who keep saying go back and watch the hanging and you will see Brody is really dead… you realize that the actor is still alive, right? A clear demonstration of why, realistically, Brody could return to the story.

41. anonymous says:

Assassination and extraction was always the plan and Jivardi was not supposed to harm Brody. What a nasty turn this show took. Whatever happened to Brody’s exoneration and redemption? Whatever happened to Carrie’s choice from season 2 to be with Brodie after clearing his name. Four months later, why wasn’t Carrie locked up in a mental institution for attempting to scratch out Lockhart’s eyeballs? And wasn’t Quinn disillusioned and going to quit? What’s he hanging around for?

Not only did they get rid of the show’s key character, something smells like they’ll be getting rid of Brody’s baby as well. Carrie’s father said he would take her daughter if she felt she couldn’t care for her, so Carrie could be completely free and on her own in Instanbul next season. Without Brody, there’s no Homeland for me.

42. joan says:

To that commenter who wrote Brody killed the V.P. : As I recall, it wasn’t that simple. Brody exchanged the code to the VP’s pacemaker for Carrie’s life, and the VP had killed several innocent children, the collateral damage of a failed mission no one knew about.

43. robin says:

I, for one, will not continue watching this show. Damian Lewis was certainly one of the strongest actors and I don’t want to watch it without him. Plus, there were storylines left hazy and vague…just the fact that he never came to any peace, he just experienced ever more trauma. The first two seasons were amazing, this one was just so-so. For me it’s goodbye Homeland.

44. joe says:

Damian Lewis had the most interesting, captivating scenes and storylines in Homeland. This year has been lackluster because he has been in so few scenes. I am left with no fire to watch season 4. I don’t know why Hollywood writers do this. They start out strong (seasons 1 and 2) and then majorly peter out, like the writers of the series Lost. I’m not interested in watching this show anymore.

45. James D says:

well that’s it for me i think. to me personally this season showed how pivitol Brody is to the show. Nothing against Claire because she is fabulous, but she can’t carry this show without Brody. My hope is this is a bait and switch and they come to their senses, because i’m sorry but this season was extremely dissapointing and i see no reason to keep watching. i wouldn’t be surprised to see a big drop in viewership at the start of next season.

• Bob says:

No. He’s dead. Yes, the Showtime executives painted Gansa into a corner by insisting the Brody character live at the end of Season 1 (he was supposed to die). Guess we’ll just have to see how Season 4 plays out. I’m still hopeful.

46. cz says:

Killing Brody was dumber then dumb. Even dumber is a Democracy installing a psychopath like Javadi in a power position. Brody was betrayed and sold out to protect Javadi?? Killing Brody killed the series for me. The message that our US Gov. feels justified to betray its own operative for some control in a foreign country may or may not be true in reality, but I just can’t believe that I am now supposed to watch a series about people that betrayed a Marine and protected a psychopath murderer that also shot another Marine point blank without even blinking. This show has lost its way. Clare Danes is now playing a whinny woman that doesn’t want her baby and I am supposed to beileve she can be in a high rank security position? Professional women don’t act that way. There is so much more but it’sall here in the comments..
    So it’s so long Homeland

47. His character has no where to go says:

Am i the only on here that watches this show for Claire Danes?

48. Zachary Cornilliac says:

To me season one was the best. and that was cause of all the elements with brody and his family, his best friend and carrie and the CIA and everything was the right balance. season two similarly. season 3 wasnt as balanced. there just wasnt enough closure with the brody family… and what ever happened to his best friend… after all brody has been through they take him out like this ? to me brody was a main reason to watch this show. homeland wont be the same…. this show has evolved for the worse for me.

49. Lily Moon says:

I think that in the next Homeland season, they are either going to do a flashback on Brody before he was a prisoner or ‘revive’ him as the hanging was just a cover up (there are ways to hang people that do not kill them) and the Iranians or CIA made a deal with Brody as an asset… Since the US producers just signed up Damian Lewis for another 7 years, the logic is that he will come back in the show.

50. Paulio says:

IF Brody was doing to be in Season 4 they could hardly tell you without it being a massive spoiler. So Yes, he is dead BUT he still could be in it… but that’s a really long shot. The show really came alive in the Brody episodes. The show without him? Most people won’t be interested…