Golden Globe Nods: My Snappy Judgments

The Good WifeThe Hollywood Foreign Press Association served up a nice helping of justice Thursday morning, honoring a number of kudos-deprived performers and shows with Golden Globe nominations. In fact, for the first time in recent memory, the Globes got way more right than it got wrong. That’s not to say this year’s list is perfect though. Because it’s not. (Someone please send the HFPA a copy of Vera Farmiga’s Bates Motel reel.) So, without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from GG Nods 2014.

RELATED | Golden Globe Nominations: The Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany making the cut for best drama series actress after getting snubbed by Emmy and SAG.
* All the love for CBS’ red-hot The Good Wife, which scored nods for best drama, best actress (Julianna Margulies) and best supporting actor (Josh Charles).
* Parenthood‘s Monica Potter sneaking in for last season’s wrenching cancer storyline.
* Fox’s Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s surprising and much-deserved best comedy nod.
* Parks and Recreation‘s better-late-than-never best comedy nomination.
* Nods for Showtime’s Masters of Sex and its leading man Michael Sheen.
* House of Cards‘ incredible Corey Stoll snagging a supporting actor mention.
Nashville spitfire Hayden Panettiere landing in the supporting actress race again.

PHOTOS | Golden Globe Nods 2014: The 30 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* The Globes’ infuriating tradition of lumping every single genre in the supporting acting races. Enough. (Yes, I copied and pasted this directly from last year’s Snappy Js. And I will continue to do so until something changes.)

I’m Super-Pissed About:
* No love for The Walking Dead. Ditto The Mindy Project. And Southland. And Hannibal.
* The absence of The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell in the drama actor and actress categories.
* The omission of (because it bears repeating) Bates Motel‘s Vera Farmiga.
* Masters of Sex‘s Lizzy Caplan getting the shaft. (Yes, I went there.)
* Sons of Anarchy‘s criminally underrated Maggie Siff getting the equivalent of a meat fork to the back of the head.
* Breaking Bad‘s Anna Gunn getting bupkis. Ditto Scandal‘s Bellamy Young.
* No love for The Big Bang Theory‘s peerless supporting cast.
* The disappearance of Globes darling Claire Danes, who didn’t deserve to be punished for Homeland‘s uneven season.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

1. Sam says:

Why does Modern Family get so much love?

2. kyl3fong says:

KERRY WASHINGTON FOR THE GOLDEN GLOBE!!!!

• dax says:

I like Kerry and I love Scandal .. but she is definitely not the best out there.. even Bellamy Young from her own show outshines her by far.. Kerry is good but as Olivia she just pouts, make some weird faces and sometimes give some speeches

AMERICANS :( Kerri Russel and Mathew Rhys both deserve so much more than just a nod.. they deserve to win the damn thing! KGB should do something about this!!!

• Jodi says:

Agreed, but Jeff Perry neeeeeeds to be included on this list. He flawlessly nails it week after week and should be shown some Emmy and GG love.

• Lin says:

I really hope no! I´m sorry, but for me she´s just an ordinary actress…any of the nominees is better than her…actually, for me, Bellamy Young is better than her!

• The Beach says:

Uh, no…not unless you consider that great acting can be condensed into one expression of just having smelled some stinky cheese (or feet, your pick).

3. kenara says:

I’m glad that The Walking Dead didn’t get nominated. It’s not Golden Globes material.

• Dan says:

As much as I absolutely love the show from ep 1, including season 2 and all, I have to agree. Not GG material in most aspects (acting, writing, ensemble, whatever), just very entertaining TV.

• The Golden Globes honors exceptional television and acting. I don’t know how The Walking Dead isn’t GG material when you take that into consideration…the show in itself is incredibly reviewed and some of the acting (Andrew Lincoln especially) is worthy of some love.

• azu says:

Thank you!! Those people that say the walking dead is not golden globe material are as short sighted and as dense as the Hollywood foreign press. Are comedy and drama the only genres that should be considered? Most of these gritty dramas and action / horror tv series contain top notch actors and actresses that are by far more superior to these cookie cutter shows they keep nominating

• Tammy says:

Thank you for saying this. The Walking Dead was absolutely left out!!! I was in complete shock by this, especially with Andrew Lincoln missing out on a nomination, among others on this series. Total disappointment!!

• April says:

Are you out of your mind. Golden Globes are meant to reward great acting and writing. The Walking Dead is exactly that. I have more than a few friends and family who hate zombies and horror, and yet the exception is TWD because the writing and the characters portrayed by the actors is so exceptional they couldn’t help but watch. That is what the Globes are supposed to be about. I am angry and saddened to see this year’s horrible lineup of second rate shows based on friendships and alliances in hollywood.

4. Ally Oop says:

For once I’m not mad. So happy Monica Potter and Tatiana Maslany made the cut–I so did not see that coming.

5. Eric7740 says:

I’m truly shocked there was nothing for Mad Men??? I know, it wasn’t Mad Men’s best season, but Jon Hamm was amazing as always and the show is still an outstanding series

6. Jaclyn says:

So so happy to see Parks on the list!

7. Bmc9999 says:

30 Rock? Alec Baldwin? They should be ashamed to take a slot from a far more deserving show and lead actor!

8. Dan says:

Ausiello, the expression is “Without further ado” (without more fuss). There is no “Without further adieu” (which means goodbye).

9. Sam says:

With so few spots in certain categories and so many great television shows, it’s a little silly to get mad about The Walking Dead or The Mindy Project not getting noms.

That being said, Robin Wright, Downton Abbey, and House of Cards all probably should not have been nominated. None of them are part of the upper tier of TV dramas or actors. For my money, Lizzy Caplan should have replaced Wright, while Mad Men and The Americans should have been the other two drama nominees.

• Amanda says:

House of Cards not an exceptional show!?!? Kevin Spacey is gripping in that show! Not to mention the supporting cast is phenomenal. It’s one of the better drama series out there right now. You kray kray!

10. Agree with Sam, Modern Family doesn’t deserve this much attention.

11. Marianne says:

I love Taylor Schilling on Orange is the New Black, but I sort of feel other cast members are better on the show, although she is the main one. Like Laura Prepon, Natasha Lyonne, and Taryn Manning have far more interesting characters, in my opinion.

12. Kdkd says:

Where the hell is Maggie Siff?

13. reggie says:

No Americans, Anna Gunn and Vera Farmiga are head scratchers for sure. And where the hell is Christine Baranski !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. SylwekG says:

I’m super pissed about no love for Mad Men. C’mon, seasons 4-6 are even better than 1-3!

15. Apples says:

Where’s Game of Thrones?
    The Good Wife is a terrible, overrated soap.

• Dan says:

I honestly think you have watched some ads and never saw the show itself. Or maybe you watched the first few episodes and jumped to some completely wrong conclusion. Because you couldn’t be more mistaken.

• Apples says:

I’ve watched a couple of episodes (my mother loves it), and I truly think it is awful. But then, tastes are subjective aren’t they.

• abz says:

You are so unbelievably wrong. You’re really missing out.

16. erninlow says:

After Tuesday’s episode of Sons of Anarchy it will be a crime if the show or Charlie Hunnam, Maggie Siff and Katey Segal get snubbed again next year! Those scenes with Jax and Tara in the hotel and at the end were so freaking incredible.

• The Guat says:

Completely agree with you. SOA is so great and completely unappreciated out there.

• V says:

Seriously! The three of them absolutely killed it. Maggie was amazing in the park scene with Charlie, Katey showed such great viciousness and brutality when her character killed Tara and then her reaction after she realized what she did killed me. And of course, Charlie while mourning Tara broke me. Absolutely powerful performances from the three of them.

17. kns says:

How about the consistently and criminally ignored Shameless and Emmy Rossum? Shameless is absolutely one of the best shows on TV, and Emmy is one of the most talented leading ladies around, so why don’t they ever get the respect they deserve? I was also expecting to see more acting nods for the great Masters of Sex cast. Where’s Allison Janney, Caitlin FitzGerald, and obviously, Lizzy Caplan?

18. Josh says:

NO Game of Thrones? It had the most talked about episode of the season! It’s much better show than the Walking Dead(which I know wasn’t nominated but was mentioned in Michael’s “pissed about section)

19. Jules says:

Where is Anna Gunn, Vega Farmiga AND Freddie Highmore’s noms indeed? And most of all, when is The Mindy Project EVER gonna get some love? Brooklyn 99 is an okay show, but I really don’t get all the rave behind the show. The Mindy Project is x10 better, with fantastic performances (hello Chris Messina!) and the critic’s underdog darling.

• Dan says:

It doesn’t help that Bates Motel is so badly written. Vera Farmiga is indeed the highest point and is doing a great job, but the show itself gives an overall bad impression. Maybe that’s what happens in that case.

• scooby says:

I really enjoy B99. If The Mindy Project was robbed, but not by that.

• scooby says:

Ack, I wish we had the ability to edit. Once a typo ends up in a post, it makes you look like an idiot. I changed the last half of the sentence and forgot to reread it.

20. Roberta says:

Give Breaking Bad every award and then throw out your TV’s because nothing
    will ever compare.

• gregk says:

Right on, especially the statement that nothing can ever be this good again! Anyone that watches BB knows this. I was fortunate to have been an extra on the fourth episode from the finale and could appreciate the superb craftsmanship first hand.

21. katrina says:

Super annoyed that they overlook Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy, and The Walking Dead! Don’t understand why nothing at all. Who comes up with these nominations!??

22. angelwings says:

Charlie Hunnam should be on this list.

23. Para says:

Yeah! Where is shameless????

24. Francine says:

No Shameless, Justified or SOA gets me mad every year.

25. TheGuat says:

I’m really super-duper pissed about Sons of Anarchy! Hello! Where the hell is Maggie Siff and Charlie Hunnam. Even Katey Segal I totally hated her this season. It’s the best show out there along with those that were nominated. And no Game of Thrones? What the hell!! At least they got Breaking Bad right.

• abz says:

I completely hated Gemma sooooooooooooooooo much this season. Can’t stand her at all and in that finale moment I was trying hard to just remember Gemma is not a real person. Katey Sagal is not really killing Maggie Siff. I do agree though that both actresses are fantastic and deserve recognition.

26. cjeffery7 says:

genuinely shocked about no Lizzy Caplan. and the perennial Jennifer Carpenter… at this point im just rolling me eyes and feeling dumb for thinking they would’ve considered her.

27. V says:

Katey Sagal (literally) slayed the Sons finale. I know everyone hates her now, but damn, she is so good at playing viciousness. Constantly overlooked, makes me so sad but I’m used to it, I guess.

28. Jules says:

I’m not presuming to say whose place they should have taken, but really nothing for Game of Thrones after that stellar 3rd season, which included the Red Wedding and a phenomenal performance of Nikolas Coster-Waldau (just the bathroom scene would have been enough for that…)?!
    That should have made Ausiello’s “I’m Super-Pissed About” list!

29. dude says:

Best Actress in a Drama nominees ever! Tatiana, Kerry and Taylor FTW! So happy about Hayden as well.

30. Brianna says:

No love for Hannibal makes me so sad. Mads and Hugh turn out two of the very best performances I have ever seen and are totally gipped. The whole cast, the writers, literally everyone involved gift us with this beautiful show and it definitely deserved more recognition. Not to mention, that show is just the most visually stunning piece of art ever to grace our televisions. For shame Hollywood Foreign Press!

31. SLS says:

I am sad they left out: Christine Baranski, Taraji P. Henson, Carrie Preston for the Good Wife, and Guillermo Diaz.

32. Britta Unfiltered says:

Orange is the New Black made a huge mistake going in the drama category. They could have swept the comedy categories. Now they didn’t even get a show nomination. I’m super shocked about the omissions of Jon Hamm, Claire Danes, and Mandy Patinkin. But I sadly did expect them to dump Homeland and Damian Lewis. I’m a little surprised and saddened by the omission of Anna Gunn, but it just confirms what I’ve known for awhile, which is, they don’t really like Breaking Bad. Breaking Bad has some real competition on its hands with House of Cards, and possibly Masters of Sex. Heck, I bet there’s even more voters in the HFPA who like Good Wife better than Breaking Bad. I do think Breaking Bad was the best show this year, but I don’t have faith in its chances to win. I’m thrilled for Masters of Sex and Michael Sheen, but Lizzy Caplan getting the shaft was a sad thing. I really thought she was a shoo in and could even win. I didn’t even realize The White Queen was eligible, but good for them and their nominations. Rebecca Ferguson is a strong contender in her category. I am heartbroken over the omission of Hello Ladies and Stephen Merchant, which is my favorite new comedy of the year. I guess I am a tad surprised over the GoT shutout. It was such a buzzy show this year. Veep is a sad omission. I am really surprised that Downton Abbey still got best show, but Maggie Smith didn’t get in. I kind of wish Downton Abbey would die, I’m sick of them taking slots that should belong to better shows and better actors.

• scooby says:

Some of us happen to like Downton Abbey and think it’s a very well done show. How many of your shows are run by an Oscar winner? Maybe stop thinking you’re the objective judge of quality television. Downton won last year’s SAG drama ensemble so clearly their peers disagree with you. Stop wishing other shows ill as if but for them your show would’ve made it–maybe your shows still wouldn’t have gotten in even if DA stayed out. You’re assuming they only just missed. Also if there’s so much good television not everybody can make it, that’s a good thing, not bad. It means tv in general is stronger, they’re hopefully getting viewers and more good shows will get made because there’s more money to make them. Champion your favorites and keep in mind that maybe other people feel about those shows the way you do about DA. If you’re gonna criticize anything, get specific (and these awards are by the season so griping about S2 for instance would be silly, say what your problem is with the latest season/series). A general ‘ugghh’ attitude isn’t an opinion that’s gonna encourage any sort of debate and makes it look like you’re just being sour about your shows not getting in there rather than actually having a problem DA’s quality.

33. Raven says:

It’s Hannibal’s snub that bothers me the most… it was, to me, one of the best new shows of 2013. Sigh.

34. CJ says:

I agree with just about everything you said, Ausiello, especially all the things you’re super ecstatic about. So many great surprises.

35. Whatever says:

Mr Ausiello I agree with your “Pissed Off List” , it was spot on.

36. Babybop says:

Ah-greed on every single count.

37. Miss VCI says:

With all the Love for Masters of Sex. I was so mad Lizzy Caplan didn’t get a nomination. Granted drama actress is a crowded field, but somehow Taylor Schilling got in over Claire Danes and Lizzy Caplan!!! UGH.

Also as much as I liked House of Cards, I LOVED Orange is the New Black, so would have preferred OITNB to be nominated in best drama (but that’s why I thought it should have been comedy anyway)

38. abz says:

I so agree with you Michael on Maggie Siff. She was excellent on SOA this season and I don’t think this season would have been half as interesting without. Maybe she will get some Emmy love but I doubt it.
    Clare Danes is great as usual even in a not-so-great season of Homeland but I am definitely very happy she’s not nominated. There are so many people who done greater work this past season that deserve to battle out and win. So glad Tatiana Maslany and The Good Wife were nominated and Hayden Panettiere is very deserving as well because without her, I don’t think I would have continued with Nashville at all last season.

39. Daniel says:

Stop with all the Modern Family hate. It Still is THE best comedyseries. The only show that comes close is Parks and Recreation. I’m so happy Josh Charles and Hayden Panettiere both got nominated. And when is Sons Of Anarchy going to get nods, It’s one of the best shows on tv right now.

40. sarah says:

The Mindy project is unwatchable…..Modern Family is not what it once was, but it’s better than a lot of whats out there!

41. DavidSask says:

Kerry Washington I agree is not the best actress and there are better actors and actresses on her show! Happy for Hayden and Tatiana, hope they produce wins!

• Carmen says:

She shouldn’t even be nominated. Not when they you have Lizzy Caplan, Claire Danes and Vera Farmiga out there without a nomination. I am rooting for Julianna Margulies this year, she is phenomenal. If it’s not Julianna, then it should be Tatiana Maslany. I prefer Julianna because it is actually much more difficult to manage to constantly successfully unfold uknown layers of a character that is already 5 years old and to manage to still surprise and move the viewers than to portray many different characters in a brand new show.

42. Kayla says:

Josh Charles ABSOLUTELY deserves to be nominated. He has been given great material and elevated it even further. Really glad he’s in this pack, although I don’t think he will win.

43. Ally_D says:

The more I think about it, the more saddened I am that Allison Janney has not been recognised for Masters of Sex. Granted she has great writing behind her, but her performance is so subtle yet heartfelt it has really stayed with me between episodes. The one where she was being interviewed to join the study and she admitted that she and her husband only made love once as year was just heartbreaking. And then her pure joy at meeting Austin followed swiftly by the disappointment when it ended – I was just left thinking ‘wow, what an acting masterclass!’ So classy

44. Tom says:

What reason do the people who decide the winners on these “big, important TV awards” think that 10-20 million viewers ON AVERAGE are watching The Walking Dead!?!?! The zombies are the back drop, 99% of the fanbase watch it for the story, the character development/relationships, the incredible acting, writing, directing.
    I mean the average ratings for what is considered great, “award worthy” TV shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk, Homeland, Man Men, Newsroom etc etc still barely pushes 5+ million. TWD is in double figures on average. Do they really think its just so we can watch some zombie gore? Would that not get repetitive by Season 4? Andrew Lincoln as lead actor is up there with the best of them. Even if I didn’t watch it I’d still find TWDs popularity hard to ignore. The word “Snub” doesn’t do this injustice……..any justice!

Unbelievable….