HBO's Jonathan Groff Gay Dramedy Looking: Watch the First Full Trailer!

“It’s San Francisco. It shouldn’t be so hard to meet cool people in this town.”

So says Patrick (Jonathan Groff of Boss and Glee fame) at the start of the new trailer for HBO’s upcoming gay romantic comedy Looking. And from the scenes that follow, it appears as though Patrick and his pals — the about-to-turn-40 Dom (Murray Bartlett) and partnered-but-“curious” Agustin (Frankie J. Alvarez) — will be kissing frogs and hoping for princes while grappling with their own idiosyncrasies and insecurities.

RELATED | Girls Season 3 Trailer: ‘It’s Really Liberating to Say No to S*** You Hate’

Initially, it appeared to my eyes that Looking (premiering Jan. 19 at 10:30/9:30c) was a late ’70s/early ’80s-set show, until Groff’s character dropped this line: “Instagram filters have ruined everything, and I can’t tell if this guy’s hot or not.” (Maybe it was that retro sign for Esta Noche lounge that misled me?)

RELATED | Glee Sets End Date — What Is Your Dream End Game For Rachel, Kurt, Etc?

Nevertheless, the wistful, witty tone of the trailer — set to St. Lucia’s “All Eyes on You” — has me thisclose to a series-recording committment on my DVR.

Check out the trailer below, then weigh in on whether you’ll be checking out Looking.

1. Tori says:

I love the trailer, January can’t get here soon enough. I do hope they touch on the fact that San Francisco is beyond expensive and how do the working class section of gay culture survive.

2. lynn says:

Russell tovey <3

3. Dan says:

I am SOOOOO ready for this. And it does look kind of 70’s-80’s but whatever. I’ll take shows about queer people anytime.

4. Fernanda says:

I am so confused, I though Jonathan Grofff was in OPEN the new Ryan Murphy drama for HBO, but it´s fine. There will be two gay shows in HBO next year. Great, I still wait for a Queer as Folk reunion on Showtime.. PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN

5. Jesse says:

It looks like the 80s cuz everyone in San Francisco looks like the 80s! Lol. And that sign for esta noche is still there.

6. Ian says:

I dunno about this- as a young guy (who likes guys) i’m intrigued, but i’m worried i’ll just be viewing frustrating stereotypes. Hopefully they won’t be defined solely by their sexuality and will have other dimensions to explore. It does seem like a good fit to premiere right after girls, though.

And obviously dope song for the trailer.

• alistaircrane says:

Guys like you who have a problem with stereotypes are suffering from a little something called “internalized homophobia”. You obviously have a problem with “queeny”, “fem” gay guys just like straight homophobic bigots do. That’s sad.

• Ian says:

Wow, you seem to know a lot about someone you’ve never met.
        That’s neat.

• SAM says:

loved your response! :)

• alistaircrane says:

You haven’t denied anything I said. I’m right.

• Francine says:

Probably because its completely pointless to argue with some random Internet person who thinks they know what or how a pera

• Francine says:

We’ll let’s try that again…. You’re making an awfully big assumption from one post so I don’t think there’s any point in anyone trying to argue with you.

• Ian says:

Sorry, bro, didn’t mean to make you feel neglected. It figured the one time I actually post on one of the boards I find myself in some sort of discussion. I didn’t respond because arguing on a message board with some rando seems immature and insignificant. But you do you.
            And I just because I don’t relate to stereotypical gay culture doesn’t mean I suffer from “internalized homophobia.” It means I’d like to see a character on tv that I can identify with.
            Have a good night!

• Mike R. says:

Not necessarily, don’t be so quick to call internalized homophobia. There is nothing wrong with stereotypes, let’s be honest some of them ring true, but also being a guy who likes guys, I am too frustrated that in TV, while lgbt representation is growing, it often still filled with stereotypes that do not represent the majority of gay men. What we need in TV is representation for all kinds of gay men. I don’t see what is wrong with hoping for these character defined by more than them liking men.

• Josh says:

Well that escalated quickly..

• Eric says:

I think that is a little ridiculous. Coming from a gay man myself, I am glad that most TV shows have gay characters. However, it angers me that they only feature the stereotypes. Sometimes the stereotypes ring true, but guess what? There are so many gay men in this world that aren’t like that. I am one of them. Most people don’t know I am gay until I tell them that I am and it’s like that for a lot of the gay men that I know. Yet TV shows only feature one type: overly feminine, overly sexualized, queens with bitchy attitudes. It gets a little exhausting seeing the gay community being represented that way. So it’s really great to see a TV show that actually doesn’t portray the community like that. Obviously there are many gay men out there like that, but there are also a lot of us that aren’t. It’s about time TV recognizes that and stops playing up this awful stereotype. Maybe more people would be more open about gay marriage and other equality issues if they actually got to see another side of our community.

I have this opinion, but I am in no way homophobic. I have no problems with the queen-y type men. That is who they are and they should be proud of who they are. I have a problem with television. They only show one side and often it’s a negative side. They portray the community in such a bad light sometimes and that truly doesn’t help anything. They need to show all sides.

• Mihai says:

Don’t mind them, Ian !

I’ve never liked Queer as Folk (here comes the bashing…) and I’ve grown tired of str8 productions (actors, writers, directors) with gay characters (off the top of my head: Brokeback Mountain, Behind the Candelabra, Brothers&Sisters, True Blood).
      But I do agree that now more than ever it’s time for a gay TV show.

The trailers so far don’t sway me but I’ll definitely tune in when it arrives!

7. Sara says:

Was that Craig David?

8. Melchoir says:

Jon Groff is reason enough to watch. Hope his chracter can got to a karaoke bar once in awhile.

9. rtwegrew says:

this is one of the best gay tv show

10. Brandy says:

I’m so planning on watching this show. Only part that concerns me is it will be airing after “Girls”, and that show has such an anemic audience.

11. McGee says:

That moustache makes its look like early 80s.

12. James says:

Not enough ethnic characters to grab my attention.

• Xavier R. says:

^This. But then again it’s about gay men so I kinda want to watch…Feel a bit like Queer as Folk all over again with the lack of color.

13. O'Brien says:

Already shipping JG with whoever his cute Australian/English friend is. Should be good!

14. marc says:

Not much of a TV watcher, mostly just news, weather. As a gay guy who spent his 20’s and 30’s in the city, I recognize the scenery, the buses, even the same old same old. I was put of by the guy wearing a lock around his neck, another guy in a leather vest etc. Gay all my life and I have never known a living person who was into ‘leather’ S&M, Bears, Daddies etc. I just knew guys who looked and spoke like everyone else and were not into the latest dance track or had some twisted addiction to 70 yo drag queens , aka Cher. The gay men I know are carpenters, and mechanics, school teachers, state police men and A/C installers. Where do you have to live to see all these gay stereotypes? La? NYC? Miami? Cuz ya damned sure are not going to meet them in central Texas.

15. xwiseguyx says:

Looking forward to checking this out.. it looks a lot like DTLA actually…but it should have a bigger budget and more solid backing ..

16. ddv says:

Anyone know what song was playing at the end credits of the Looking premiere tonight-it was slamming,

17. djuan says:

I would also like to know the name of the song playing at the end. It didn’t show in the credits.

18. djuan says:

The name of the song is “Take A Look Around” by 2Bears. Check it out on youtube.

19. marsha says:

That take a look around is the theme song at the beginning. Anyone know the one at the end??