Exclusive: Castle Creator Sheds Light on New 3XK Mystery, Beckett's Reaction to That Song

Castle 3XK Alive BeckettWhile many Castle fans at this instant have baby on the brain — tonight’s episode (ABC, 10/9c) thrusts Rick and Kate into the role of accidental nannies — some still are dwelling on the questions raised by last week’s “Disciple,” in which Jerry Tyson aka 3XK/The Triple Killer in some form or fashion rose from the dead to unleash a new reign of terror.

On the heels of that thrilling, tense hour, TVLine asked series creator Andrew W. Marlowe to offer insight on the serial killer’s improbable encore (is Dr. Kelly Niemann merely executing kills in his stead, as some sort of “disciple”/groupie?) and tease a few clues embedded within.

RELATED | Castle Recap: Dead Ringers — AKA the Best Episode of the Season

A NEW FACE ON AN OLD FOE? | Supposing for just a moment that Tyson is somehow alive, being chummy as he was/is with a plastic surgeon, is it safe to say that we — and Castle/Beckett — might not recognize him if he resurfaces? “It is certainly possible that Tyson, if alive, may have altered his appearance,” Marlowe allows. “Then again, Castle shot Tyson multiple times in the chest. He fell 100 feet into the water. How could he have possibly survived that?”

COUGHY BREAK | ‘Member the Coughing Guy in Hooded Coat that waterfront watchman Carl Matthews (Lost‘s William Mapother) made scram just before he “discovered” Lanie’s dead look-alike? Eagle-eyed/-eared viewers noted that just before Beckett & Co. stormed Carl’s motel room, a Coughing Guy in Hooded Coat crossed in front of the camera.Castle_Disciple_Hoodie2 copy (See photo.) Same guy? “I would say that they bear an uncanny resemblance to each other and seem to be suffering from identical respiratory conditions,” Marlowe notes. “It’s quite the coincidence, don’t you think?” Mmmhmm. Especially since the first fella bears a faint resemblance to Jerry Tyson/portrayer Michael Mosley.

RELATED | Castle — The Reason Why Rick’s Celeb Poker Games Have Ended

BACK WITH A VENGEANCE? | Having thus teased us with this provocative mystery, can viewers count on Castle revisiting it again before Season 6 is over? Says Marlowe: “I think Vera Lynn said it best when she sang, ‘We’ll meet again. Don’t know where… Don’t know when….’” Ah, speaking of that old-timey tune….

BECKETT HAS A SONG REACTION | Does “We’ll Meet Again” carry any greater significance than suggesting that the Beckett-fetishing Dr. Niemann (played by 24‘s Annie Wersching) and/or Tyson will be back? After all, Beckett’s reaction to the song suddenly filling Castle’s loft was conspicuously strong. Here, Marlowe drops his most curious clue.

RELATED | Castle Creator Explains Why There Won’t Be a Big Alexis/Kate Scene

Did anyone else just get goosebumps? And with the above information now in play, what’s your current theory on last week’s Castle?

Tags: ,

Comments (116)

• Interesting .

Comment by CBWBDK1 – November 25, 2013 07:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWM; Oh look, the fans all think Stana’s reaction means there is more to that song than meet the eye. You know, that’s a really good idea! Let’s write that!
    I didn’t think I could roll my eyes quite this much.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do you live in my mirror? ‘Cause that was exactly my reaction.

Comment by Annie – November 25, 2013 07:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It totally could have been their intention to have the final moment play ambiguously, but I have a hard time seeing how it fits. Tonight’s episode is delightfully devoid of the drama I personally love, playing as a holiday-themed standalone episode.
        They don’t exactly do a lot of “previously on” recaps at top top of Castle episodes anymore, so without explaining the (possible) connection to Beckett’s past, how are they going to tie it all in? When 3XK is revisited in February or, worse, May, is Kate gonna say, “Hey, remember my strange reaction to thatcVera Lynn song back in November? Here’s why…?”
        I’m not going to say he’s lying, but it seems a bit fishy. They clearly orchestrated little Horschach-like 3XK Easter eggs a la The Watchmen, which showed a considerable and crafty amount of foresight. That alone suggests there’s a long game for this story. Why muddy the waters with odd ambiguity?

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Great analysis. I agree that it was odd ambiguity, but I’m happy TVLine gave us this interview for at least a little bit of clarity.
          It’s doubtful they’ll ever explain her reaction though, unless they bring the song back into play in the next episode that deals with 3XK. I’m pretty excited to see what they do with it, but I’m really hoping we don’t have to wait until May for it.
          SPOILER
          I saw an interview a little while back with James Brolin, and he said he was filming another episode of Castle this season, so I’m kind of hoping/wishing his episode back deals with the fallout from this. I think it’d be great if Castle’s Dad stepped in to help catch the serial killer obsessed with his son.

Comment by Christina – November 25, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Very true! Castle fans can always count on TVLine to get the dish, which is very much appreciated.
            And that’s a good point about the song… They could replay it in a later episode, and maybe — MAYBE — it would be an organic opportunity for Beckett to explain for the audience’s benefit. There are actually a few ways they could make that work. I’m just doubtful her reaction was meant to mean anything other than horrified realization. I’m really excited about where this story leads, too, and I sincerely hope David Amann and Rob Bowman are at the helm of it until the arc concludes.
            SPOILER Re: 6×12 or 6×13
            Yes! I also saw that he’s coming back. I’m not sure how I feel about Jackson Hunt coming in to save Castle from 3XK. Much like Bracken is Beckett’s demon to fight, I feel like 3XK is Castle’s. At the end of the day, both protagonists should get to put their own demons away, once and for all. That said, I’ll take any opportunity for Castle to interact with his dad from a character development standpoint, so if 3XK brings Hunt back, that’s cool. :-)

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 08:51 AM PDT
          • I doubt 3XK is back again this season. One of the reasons he works so great is the fact they use him sparingly (once per season) for maximum impact.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 08:58 AM PDT
          • With a message like that song, Apples, and with no clear grounds for Caskett relationship-related drama, it seems to me like 3XK could be the perfect wrinkle toward the end of the season.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 09:28 AM PDT
          • Just one thing: I’m not ruling out the reappearance of 3XK, but I think we all know that other procedurals have had their issues with omniscient-serial-killer arcs, often by making those characters too prominent. I’d hate for Castle to retread the territory that Bones has already covered, for example. Let’s see what happens towards the back end of the season, for me it is a little too early to predicting what kind of ending Marlowe and co are envisaging for the end of the season. Maybe they’ll turn back to the Johanna-Beckett/Bracken arc.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 09:38 AM PDT
          • I don’t want them to bring 3XK up too often either, but I also don’t want to go another year without any mention of him. Omniscient serial killer arcs can be done well, but I agree that they can’t be made too prominent. I thought Bones handled the Gravedigger fairly well, she was used sporadically here and there – just enough to remind us that she posed a threat.
            I do agree with Just one thing that 3XK or Bracken seem to be getting set up to be the drama of the season. It’s nice to not have any drama in the Caskett relationship, and I’d love to keep it that way throughout the season. Just let the outside drama bring the excitement!

Comment by Christina – November 25, 2013 11:57 AM PDT
        • AM’s response on Kate’s reaction to the song was very vague in saying that it’s possible the song had a more personal connection or not. We all know AM likes to play us Castle fans (in this aspect he is quite similar to 3XK!) but if he is in a teasing mood on something, that something usually ends up having a pretty big significance.
          So it’s going to be interesting how he clears up Kate’s reaction when next dealing with 3XK. Hopefully it’s by the end of this season as I don’t want them to drag the 3XK plot too long and make it lose it’s appeal & thrill, like how the writers over at Bones dealt with super-baddie Pelant, dragging his stay far too long, making him look way too superhuman, which ended up making his very human demise (which due to his overstay had lost it’s appeal in the first place) at odds with what had happened so far.
          Hence if Castle stays true to it’s excellent crafting & planning of overarching plots (like how they dealt with Joanna’s murder), 3XK would really be dead and it’s just Dr. Niemen running the serial-killer front. Besides given that Castle’s dad Hunt only turns up when his son really really really has no other option, I bet he arrives late in S6 to kick Dr. Niemen in her pretty little butt after a fantastic Kate-Rick-Niemen-Hunt-Espo-Lanie-Ryan face off, finish off any other 3XK disciples left, fish out 3XK’s corpse (which had washed up down stream from where he fell in after Castle shot him end the 3XK) and put a satisfactory end to the 3XK mystery.

Comment by Rich Abey – November 25, 2013 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They never did a lot of “previously on” recaps. They only did that on big episodes pertaining to Beckett’s mother.

Comment by LL624 – November 25, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She was obviously directed to react more extremely then Castle for a reason. I know that after ep ended most people thought that song had something to do with her mom so I don’t know why would you think they are now listening to fans when it’s obvious they couldn’t care less what fandom thinks or else they would make some changes.

Comment by Jenna – November 25, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • They listen when it suits them. It suits them to make Stana’s reaction into more than they had originally intended. So they’ll write it.
        They don’t listen when it comes to a character they like but a majority in fans don’t seem to. They cherry pick what they listen to. Why not take advantage of a better story idea than they had themselves?

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • If Stana´s reaction was more than they had originally intended, it was easy to fix: CUT! REPLAY! And they would made her repeat the scene untill they were satisfied! Is it so hard to admit that the episode was always planned to be as it was and leave the doubts it did?! That´s exactly why, at least for me, it was so damn good – the open ended situations!
          And I was never in the camp of the ones with blind faith in Marlowe and company…

Comment by Mary – November 25, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Then I think it’s very bad story telling. If you’re correct and her reaction was planned to plant that song as a call back later, it’s bad story telling. There has never been a hint of a special song concerning Kate or her mom. But now suddenly, because 3XK is apparently going to be all about Kate next they randomly through in a non sequitur like that? Sorry, it’s easier for me to think they just didn’t have time to cut, repeat and Stana just got it wrong for once.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 08:52 AM PDT
          • @ Jenni
            First of all, I´m not intending to say you don´t have the right to your opinions, because you have, the same way I have to mines, but I respectfully disagree with you:)
            I find funny that you say if the song is a call back to later, it´s because some fans gave their toughts, not because it was planned – yet you say you prefer to believe Stana was overacting, when it was so easy to fix, (please, don´t say again it was lack of time to cut or replay it, that´s b.s) why? Because it suits your theory?:)
            And of course there has been no hint that the song could have any meaning (and probably it has nothing to do with her mother, but something that we still don´t know about her past) – because if it has, it´s to be used later and letting us guessing in the meantime – that´s the storytelling.
            You think it´s a bad storytelling? Okay, that´s your opinion; mine is that it´s a great storytelling! So, once again, I respectfully disagree with you – but that´s a good thing, if we all had the same opinions, there would be no debat:)

Comment by Mary – November 25, 2013 10:10 AM PDT
          • @Mary

Thank you for being so kind in your reply. I also thank you for having the respect to disagree so entirely and yet not make me feel like I’m lesser for having a contrary opinion. So I sincerely thank you for that.
            If Stana was overeacting, then that’s the fault of the director (and/or the writing). Now, either it was a deliberate directing choice or they ran out of time. If it was a deliberate directing choice, I don’t believe it was as a set up to call back to the song later in the show. I think it more likely that Rob Bowman liked seeing that level of fear from Kate. I truly do not believe the call back has been planned. Because if it was, there is absolutely nothing to play into it. At all. Ever. So this then puts it in non sequitur territory for me. ie, a lack of logical progression.
            However f this is exactly the way they are introducing it and that you are right and it will be the callback and there is no introduction to the song other than this moment. Why then not show the plan in this episode. Why not end with ‘Castle, that song, it was my mother’s favourite’ and THEN fade to black. By just ending it on a look, they’re not giving you anything to go with. Other than some people conjecturing wildly and some people doubting the acting/directing. This isn’t one of those times that abstract works. It’s a much bigger sucker punch if you have the reason. Not if you have to wait at least a half a season to get a pay off.
            Write the pay off to the moment. Give the moment the horror it deserves if thats where you are taking the story. A solid exit. That’s why i think it’s bad writing.
            But again, that is only my opinion and just as valid as any one else’s and open to being entirely incorrect.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 12:15 PM PDT
        • I said this last week, but Rob Bowman doesn’t strike me as the kind of director who’d let an actor overplay something without corrections or tweaks.
          Penny Johnson Jerald and Susan Sullivan, the two most seasoned actors in the cast, have made comments that suggest to me that he doesn’t just let actors coast. Most of them talk about how much he pushes them. And Stana Katic seems to have a solid relationship with him.
          So… I’m inclined to believe that the scene was played as the EPs (Marlowe, Amann and Bowman) intended.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I definitely think it was down to Bowman et al, rather than the actors, but I did find the scene a little artificially shot. I love most of the cinematography in the Bowman-directed episodes (the scene where Castle and Beckett walk into the mist side-by-side in Close Encounters of the Murderous Kind is one of my personal favourites), but occasionally he reaches for artistic as opposed to realistic to the characters (C/B stand there staring as the song plays instead of embracing/shutting off the music etc).
            Just a personal bugbear.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 09:11 AM PDT
          • Really? I loved the way they shot that last scene. You say it’s artistic, which I think is exactly right. It was the most like cable that the show has ever looked. :-) He threw out the typical procedural directing formula, and in the process (with the actors) helped evoke some pretty intense reactions from the audience. Even if it also posed unintended questions.
            Embracing and shutting off the music would have removed all tension in those final moments. The characters were left kind of floundering there, and so were the viewers. Good drama.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 09:25 AM PDT
          • Right, so it looked beautiful and dramatic…but felt unrealistic. Of course it is a 50-50 call, but given that I felt that Beckett’s reaction was too strong (and still do- this is a woman who has been shot in the heart by a sniper, and bluffed off the man who made the decision with a file that no longer exists…heck Castle was actually poisoned and dying just 8 eps ago, and she barely let her emotions show then), the moment felt OOC and not in tone with the show or the character for the sake of “art” so I disliked it.
            Each to their own of course.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 09:33 AM PDT
          • I agree with Apples, even if Stana did what the director wanted and didn’t overact, that scene seemed too staged to me. Her facial reaction was OK (tho again, no context so who knows), but overall her little walk-halt-stare looked forced to me. May be it would have looked better if she was staying in one place I don’t know. Castle’s reaction can be interpreted in both ways – as a reaction to Beckett’s overreaction or as a sort of gloomy acceptance of the threat in the song. So who knows. But I agree about it being a bad storytelling device, this ambiguity left for the fans to dig for meaning. Especially if it turns out there’s no meaning after all.

What I don’t get tho is those hordes of fans proclaiming this the best moment in the ep or the finest piece of acting they’ve ever seen. Really? Like you know what it means? Like you don’t do the writers or actors job for them explaining away their ambiguity like anyone who doesn’t get it is a fool?

Comment by bibs – November 25, 2013 10:13 AM PDT
          • This actually reminds me of season’s 5 last episode, when Nathan Fillion admitted that in the proposal scene he was directed to be ambiguous so that the viewers won’t guess what Castle’s actual feelings are and what the outcome would be. So some fans thought he looked angry and others thought he looked determined etc.
            It struck me as such a lazy way of storytelling! So I won’t be surprised if it’s the same here.

Comment by bibs – November 25, 2013 10:20 AM PDT
        • Actually, as soon as I saw Beckett’s reaction, AND THEN Castle’s reaction to it, I thought something had to be in the works for down the line. Watch that part again, and pay more attention to Castle this time. He’s clearly feeding off of whatever is going on with Beckett–he has to be, as he’s been convinced Tyson is alive since before this episode’s shenanigans.

Comment by Kim – November 25, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sorry, just because they don’t make ALL the changes that a vocal group of fans demand doesn’t mean they “couldn’t care less” about the fans.
        It means they’re telling THEIR story, and, unlike many showrunners of more “buzzy” and even critically-acclaimed shows, they also just happen to give a damn about their core audience’s enjoyment.
        Do I always agree with their storytelling tactics? Nope. I think a number of variables (unseen by us) play a large role in how the final product shakes out each week. And yeah, at the end of the day, it is THEIR show and THEIr characters. But I think they’ve made it abundantly clear that they do not intentionally screw with fans.
        That said, if Beckett really does have some personal connection to that song, they did not do their storytelling due diligence by connecting the dots before or after the reveal. Castle is sadly not a serialized drama, so they would’ve needed to spell that out more clearly.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well said.

Comment by Astrid – November 25, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I believe that the meaning of the song, if there is one, will play into how they deal with 3XK reapperence – maybe he will be after Beckett this time and the song is somehow connected…

Comment by Mary – November 25, 2013 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Good point! Though I think Kelly Nieman’s behavior with Beckett laid the foundation for that eventuality as well — and in a more clearer way, too.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 08:58 AM PDT
          • In a clearer way. Not more clearer way. I does like grammar.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 08:59 AM PDT
    • This is exactly what I was thinking.

Comment by Sarah – November 25, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I always tought Stana wasn´t overacting, that the song had some meaning! And yes, I felt goosebumps and this looks so interesting:)

Comment by Mary – November 25, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I always thought Stana was over-reacting and now they’ve realized there’s a fortuitous moment handed to them by fan theory. Sorry. I love Stana as much as anyone, but I didn’t buy her reaction in that moment. It was too much.
        But I am resigned to a convenient plot device now that explains that OMG THE SONG HAS SPECIAL MEANING TO KATE in the future.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jeez you complain to much if you don’t like don’t see..

Comment by Lauren – November 25, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow. So if I have a complaint, your solution is that I don’t watch any more?
            You’re only allowed to watch the show if you agree with every aspect of it?
            Way to lose viewers, Lauren. Plenty people disagree with my opinion of this, and yet they remain calm, polite and respectful. I appreciate that so much as opposed to being told to stop watching. So thank you for that.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 12:04 PM PDT
        • Stana’s reaction is guided by the director. Multiple reactions are shot and the director and AWM are the people who have the final say as to what it you see. For every facial expression you see on the screen there are two or three for that same scene that end up on the cutting room floor.

Comment by lame – November 29, 2013 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So basically Marlowe confirms absolutely nothing at all.
    I personally think Tyson is alive, we saw him as the hooded homeless guy, that the next person he targets will be Beckett as a way of getting to Castle (Nieman will Beckett’s direct nemesis, all that foreshadowing about making her “perfect”- I can visualise the scene now, Beckett strapped into a surgeon’s table, Nieman looming overhead with a scalpel in hand),
    I don’t think the song has any special meaning for Beckett otherwise they would’ve hinted at that in that episode itself.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hi! I read these posts a lot but seldom comment because there is usually just too much angst and quibbling . But let me put two things out there..1. If Dr. Neiman has been Tysons girlfriend for many years, it is possible that the watchman,who is now in jail is in fact 3xk with his face altered! Also as to the song. These guys have written a tremendous series that has kept our attention for over 5 years. I suggest when one of us can write anything nearly as compelling , then perhaps we can offer them some suggestions. Until then perhaps we can let them get on with it! We know very little about Beckett’s mom. Perhaps that was her song, perhaps one her dad likes, who knows!! are you suggesting they can’t bring up details about Beckett’s family and add more information because it hasn’t been mentioned before! Seriously! Same goes for Castle, his Dad, mom and even himself! there are a great many things we don’t know about the character!

So now I am done! I just intend to sit back and watch a great story with great writing and stellar performers unfold! Oh, BTW..Stana Katic never overacts!

Comment by Lynn – November 25, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • While I love the show and writers and the actors, I certainly don’t feel they are above criticism or feedback. I’m sure they don’t feel that way either. Katic is a fine actress but she’s had her off episodes and moments as has Fillion and other cast members. Nobody’s perfect, and I certainly don’t subscribe to any celeb-worship philosophy that states otherwise.
        If the song were meaningful, it would have had more impact on the audience and would have been better foreshadowing and more menacing were that mentioned before we heard it. While I’m not ruling out them adding a meaning after the fact, it certainly doesn’t seem consistent with the show. Plus I do not think it is likely the two myth-arcs will cross over in this way.
        While I’m open to the suggestion that Tyson has had his face changed, I’m less sanguine about changing his build, height and body structure. Plastic surgery can realistically only do so much. I personally have no doubts that Tyson is free and planning to wreak further havoc on Castle and Beckett.
        Congrats on sitting back and watching. We’re all fans in our different ways. I prefer to discuss and deconstruct.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • To be honest, when I first heard the song, I thought it was probably the creepiest thing Tyson (or…whomever, if that’s even really an argument at this point) could have left them. Then, I watched the impact it had on Beckett, and Castle’s reaction to Beckett, and that upped the ante. So, to blanket that scene with your (legitimate, it must be said, because we all watch for and take away different things from every episode) disconnect is disingenuous. It definitely connected with me, I recognized the import, and I look forward to discovering its impetus.

Comment by Kim – November 25, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I don’t deny that moment is ambiguous and open to interpretation. I just think it is relatively weak writing to make it SO ambiguous.
            My opinions are absolutely simply reflect my own viewing experience and I’ve never made a claim to speak for everybody. Obviously I did not realise my posts on the matter needed a disclaimer about that.

Comment by Apples – November 26, 2013 04:28 AM PDT
          • @ Apples

Well, you wrote that, “[i]f the song were meaningful, it would have had more impact on the audience and would have been better foreshadowing and more menacing.” I was merely pointing out that, for a portion of the audience, it DID have appropriate impact and foreshadowing and menace. I understand that it was not present or enough for you, and that’s fine. To each, and all that.

Comment by Kim – November 26, 2013 11:33 AM PDT
  • Three shots to the chest …. kevlar. Fell 100 ft. …. see National Treasure. He does have minions and he initiated the scene on the bridge, so preplanning isn’t out of the question.

Comment by Stormy – November 25, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know, when I watched that episode, I was thinking that somehow the gun was loaded with blanks. Kate shot him too when she got out of the car and that seemed to have no effect on him either. I have never understood why Kate was so adament that 3XK was dead. It was certainly plausable that he might have been wearing a bullet proof vest, but she wouldn’t even entertain the idea. That to me was really strange. After setting Castle up like he did, what isn’t this guy capable of?

Comment by Carolina – November 25, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think that the reason Beckett wanted 3XK to be dead is because of how he infiltrated their lives without her even knowing it. Remember all the pictures, all the information he had on them? Their relationship wasn’t public knowledge at the time. I think she wanted him gone because of how 3XK hurts Castle, how it affects him and ultimately them. I don’t think she wanted for Castle to be in that place again. I don’t think it’s because she didn’t believe it was possible, I just think that she didn’t want it to be happening.

Comment by Leigh – November 25, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just like Beckett doesn’t believe in fantasy or supernatural, it makes sense that she would assume that several bullets and a 100-foot drop would kill him. She’s not like Castle, who would entertain a Mike Myers-esque return. :P
        And, like Leigh says above, there is some indication that she worried/worries about how 3XK has affected Castle. It has haunted him in many ways, and he’s definitely invaded their privacy and threatened their way of life. Castle’s obsession with 3XK has the potential to burn as deeply as Kate’s obsession with her mom’s killers.
        It’d be nice to delve into that more. Castle has this great capacity for lightness, particularly when compared to Beckett’s quest. But he’s proven more than a handful of times that he can go to the dark side. It’d be cool to explore that a bit more, and maybe that’ll happen later this season.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Tyson altered his appearance then he can’t be the hooded guy, right?

Comment by martina – November 25, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they altered the appearance of 3XK (e.g. hair colour, contacts, a beard, a deep tan, etc) I’d be fine with it, but to possibly change the actor and go from Michael Mosley to someone else would be frustrating. 3XK may have only been in two eps, but it’s the portrayal from the actor himself that makes him so enjoyable.

Comment by JJM – November 25, 2013 07:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, I don’t think they’ll change actors. They may have the original actor wear prosthetic make-up or something, but I can’t imagine they’d switch it up unless Mosley got a gig that prevented him from taking on the character again.
      And, really, the longer they run this story and the Bracken one, the higher the risk that these actors (esp. Jack Coleman) will get snatched up on a show that’s not on ABC.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does Marlowe even give interviews when he says absolutely nothing at all? Blah.

Comment by Hammy – November 25, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or maybe that was his exact intention when the episode was written……..I swear all people on here do is complain.

Comment by Jordyn – November 25, 2013 07:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amazing, right? Yea, Internet.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – November 25, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Matt, if you haven’t noticed about the Castle fandom already that whining and complaining is what you’ll find on the majority of your interviews with the cast and Marlowe, please keep tabs from this point on. It’s frustrating loving this show and not finding flaws in everything and actually *gasp* wanting to discuss the show instead of fighting with other fans about how wrong Marlowe is doing it. He’s not perfect, but he’s a great showrunner who’s given us over 5 seasons and does listen to his audience sometimes… not just the shippers who want a sex scene, kiss, hug, and touch in every other minute of the episode because apparently that’s the ONLY way to show two people in love on tv for them. Nathan/Stana have an overload of chemistry where I don’t need to see that all the time. We got a lot of physicality last season and this fandom complained nonstop that they were lacking, too dark, too short, too this or too that. Now we’re not getting those kisses and hugs and touches as much this season and now those same fans swear they loved what we got last season and miss it. It doesn’t matter what Marlowe does, it’s never enough and those fans act like he should bow down to them and give them what they want or his show will be canceled.

I find it funny the ratings remain consistent and sometimes even better than last season after all the threats that fans would quit the show if Caskett didn’t kiss, touch, hug, have sex more. Ha!

Anyways, just know there are fans out there who love and appreciate all that you do to keep us informed with the happenings with the show.

I am not a rainbow lover, but I do find them to be beautiful. I also realize there’ll be rainy and cloudy days and there’s no avoiding that. Some fans need to realize up to 15 million fans tune in each week and watch for varying reasons. Marlowe has to consider us all, not just that vocal bunch who think they know best.

Comment by Shawn – November 25, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You have more faith in AWM than me. Before this season, I was in the Trust AWM camp. After this season, not so much. Throwing new characters in and writing them as the biggest stereotypes on television, (Pi) or throwing a new character in with zero intro or backstory (Tori, sorry, Matt, but she really is an ‘odd sock’).

My blind faith is over. But I hope you are right. Sadly we’ll never find out, because if they write it that way, he’s never going to admit it was anything other than the plan all along.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t forget Sully who just disappeared when he stopped being useful (or was he ever?)

Comment by bibs – November 25, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes! Sully disappears into the ether while Pi is still around, even when fan reaction was so heavily against Pi. But because certain writers like Pi, he stays. Regardless of fan opinion. Oh, wait, we don’t get to have an opinion unless it agrees with them. Otherwise we’re immature and don’t understand the complexity of their storytelling.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Easy…Sully was there as a replacement for Beckett – she´s back, so no need for him to be there too. Pi is there as a way of showing Alexis is now an adult with a life of her own. Their presence, or lack of it, has only to do with storytelling, nothing more. Doesn´t mean the fans don´t have the right to an opinion, you have yours, I have mine…only I´m not expecting the writters to go with mine opinion, it´s THEIR story to tell.

Comment by Lin – November 25, 2013 09:52 AM PDT
          • Marlowe should send y’all the script so you can mark it up and edit–then send it back for filming. Of course, with all you want in it, it will be a 4 hr show instead of a 42 min show. Anyway, everyone knows that Sully is 3XK! :)

Comment by lkh – November 26, 2013 11:51 AM PDT
        • I presume Sully was simply reassigned to another precinct or department. Hardly a burning question.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Still, characters don’t just disappear on (good) shows, it reeks of soap. We shouldn’t be left to “presume”.

Comment by bibs – November 25, 2013 10:25 AM PDT
          • Major characters no. But Sully? He had a short two-ep arc. Hardly worth wasting dialogue explaining where he went when there is a natural assumption in play. After all, the audience didn’t need to be told McCord went back to DC etc.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 10:41 AM PDT
          • Sorry, but no. McCord (or McCuddy, as I prefer to call her) stayed in DC, while Beckett went to NY. It was explained, it was logical, the character got her closure. Sully was Beckett’s replacement in NY and his reassignment can not be just assumed. Actually he could be a major obstacle in Beckett’s return, because in RL people don’t really ping-pong from place to place like nobody’s business. I remember fans asking how the show will do Beckett’s comeback believably seeing as her place is taken. Turned out, her replacement just magically disappeared, that’s how the show did it. I’m glad it doesn’t bother many people, but it stuck with me.

Comment by bibs – November 25, 2013 12:19 PM PDT
          • *shrugs* Well I’m sorry it is bothering you, for me it is a no-brainer he was simply re-assigned to another precinct or squad (Vice, Gangs etc). I didn’t need that explained and have moved on.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 12:49 PM PDT
      • Tori appeared in 3 episodes last season. She wasn’t just “thrown” in there. I’m pretty sure Esposito even flirted a bit with her last season, too. You’re entitled to your opinion, but at least make sure it’s accurate before you start complaining.

Comment by Katherine215 – November 25, 2013 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ok. Suddenly Ryan went from Tech-guy, so Tori. Was she introduced in any way other than, oh, here, she’s gonna do it from now on? No. she just suddenly took over. No explanation as to why Ryan no longer did the tech. I think they wanted to into another sexy female character and figured there we go. It was lazy. So yes, she was just thrown in. Just because we’ve seen her more then three times doesn’t mean she wasn’t originally thrown in.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When something is bad, shouldn’t we have a right to complain? I swear. You rainbow loving fans are going to be death of the fandom. Watch it. You’ll run all the people willing to take a stand away from “sharing their opinion.”

Comment by Michael – November 25, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Didn’t you get the memo, Michael? We’re only allowed to have an opinion if it agrees with TPTB. Otherwise we’re immature and don’t understand complex storytelling.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t think anyone should allow another poster to “run them away” from posting their opinions. There’s no threat of violence, just a challenge of debating skills. :P To be wholly transparent, I post only on TVLine’s comments section because I’m about 90% certain it’s read by those behind the show. People can use their group-think, “with us or against us” mentality on fellow fans in forums if they want to (been there, done that), but I think there are enough different perspectives — and nice people — on TVLine to make it possible to co-exist here.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. It’s not like they just run a camera and take the video straight off to the transmitter: LOT’S of takes that don’t get any further than the “delete” folder….. what we see is what the want us to see. Or at least their best shot at it…

Comment by John 1138 – November 25, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t believe it took me four years to get into this show. Thank goodness it’s hit syndication or I might still not have been turned onto it.

Comment by Carolina – November 25, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • All things that have been sitting in my brain since the episode ended. So many twists and turns and open ended situations in this episode.

Love. it.

Comment by iammusic – November 25, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the interview Matt! No complaints from me lol

Comment by Astrid – November 25, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This all you got? Seriously? That’s not an interview. That’s another showrunner just going “yeah, but maybe.” It’s his prerogative. But maybe we as fans should stop accepting this BS and demand honest answers. I found last week’s episode to be a bore. It’s like they’ve run out of ideas. There’s no reason to have brought 3XK into the picture. I’m sorry. But that episode? Sucked. I’ve been a fan of the show since the beginning and this season? They’re struggling to find suitable storylines to meet the changing dynamics of the character. And fans shouldn’t be afraid to say that. I’m tired of all the rainbow loving fans. And I’m tired of all the rainbow loving fans coming after people like me who are willing to say: give us a better product.

Comment by Michael – November 25, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If that episode sucked then I think you should stop watching the show. It was the best ep of the season and one of the better in 3xk mythology.

Comment by mary – November 25, 2013 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It was crap. They have essentially turned 3xk into a super villain, it’s so horribly cliche.

Should have left him dead on the bridge and moved on, not every show needs an unkillable Joker character.

Comment by guesto – November 25, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think it says more about the other episodes of the season when 609 is easily the best of the season so far.
          This season has been so far below average that it’s worrying. However, heaven forbid that we dare complain or air an opinion other than 100% love and rainbows.

Comment by Jenni – November 25, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • *shrugs* Each to their own of course. I personally think the first 10 eps of S6 has been one of those strongest openings to a season the show has had, but I’m not going to shout down fans who think otherwise.
            The ratings are strong, and up again, which is nice and speaks to its own story naturally.

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 08:55 AM PDT
          • Totally disagree but each to their own I guess :)

Comment by Astrid – November 25, 2013 09:03 AM PDT
          • Totally disagree, I found this season very strong, but to each one their own:)

Comment by Lin – November 25, 2013 09:54 AM PDT
          • No offense, Jenni, but have you not posted here often? Many, many fans come here to complain (myself included). People disagree, and I’ve had posters dismiss my complaints. But I honestly don’t think it’s forbidden to complain – at least not here.

Comment by Just one thing – November 25, 2013 11:06 AM PDT
          • I, too, have to disagree. Though the cases are not as good as in previous seasons, it’s still better than last season in my opinion. They are actually bringing back fun. I like that they are trying to do different arcs. Hopefully, they’ll be be able to tie some up by this season’s end.

And gotta agree with @Jordyn up there. Actors get directed on how to play the scene, and Bowman doesn’t seem like a director who would let his actors overplays stuff.

Comment by Audrey – November 25, 2013 11:26 AM PDT
        • Anyone with half a grasp of genre-savvinness (including Castle) knew that falling off the bridge without a body = 3XK alive. They had to bring him back at some point. I don’t agree he is a super-villian tbf, mostly because they use him so sparingly (once per season).

Comment by Apples – November 25, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does he even bother giving interviews? If all you can answer is ‘maybe’ to every question it’s a complete waste of time…

Comment by guesto – November 25, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know, we love this show, flaws and all. And I for one, am glad that Matt takes the time to follow up on the questions we raise after a confusing moment in an episode. As for AWM.. He didn’t even have to take Matt’s call… But he did.
      Ambiguity – sometimes – allows a story to go in a direction not originally intended.. And if you think any TV series is scripted and planned (in nauseating detail) in advance, you’d be quite wrong. No matter the answers, it seemed clear that the song was a device to show Beckett in fear.. Something we have rarely seen (and never to this degree). How ever they play it out, I’ll be there to watch (and maybe question)..
      I think following up by Matt asking the questions the viewers pose and AWM taking the time – even to be cheeky about it – and to give some answers (and food for thought/bait to get us talking even more) well, that is in no way a complete waste of time.

Comment by DarkDefender – November 25, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for this! I am truly grateful anytime Matt takes the time and effort to follow up on a show I’m obsessed with, and I’m equally delighted when the show big wigs take time to give interviews.
        Considering the myriad characters, storylines and plot points that the show runners have to juggle simultaneously, I think it’s a wonder more isn’t left ambiguous or unexplained. I see no reason why Kate’s reaction to the song and the way Stana played it can’t pertain to something we viewers no nothing about as yet. As viewers we are only um, VIEWING the action and not actually inside the characters heads, so who’s to say what has yet to be revealed? I think it is to both the writers and the actors credit that fans can find so many little details to debate – all equivalent to the superior job they are all doing!

Comment by Huskygrl – December 11, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m more interested in James Brolin ep that starts filming today, 3xk probably won’t come back until next year, unless Nathan and Stana decide to quit.

Comment by mary – November 25, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t buy that the song means anything else to Beckett. She believed Tyson was dead, and in some form or other she now knows that’s not the case. That news is shocking to her This season has not been my favorite, but 6×09 was a fabulous episode, even with all the crazy theories that surfaced after it aired. I hope the second half the season improves from this fall.

Comment by Andrea – November 25, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr Marlowe’s answers are intentionally, and correctly, vague in order to keep everyone guessing. That is his job. I don’t like his interviews because he does this part of his job very well. I have lost steam for Castle for quite some time. Season 5 was my least favorite overall and its three episode finale just solidified that for me. Season 6 has been up and down with no clear direction that I can find. I like the fact that Caskett has at least one sentence of direct conversation in each episode; that is a big improvement over most of season 5. I like the fact that they are confident in their relationship with each other; at least until the back half of season 6 when history suggests things will fall apart. The “chemistry” between Nathan and Stana has about disappeared. I recall that a few years ago one of them said that chemistry starts with the writing. The show must have lousy writing now. The bromance chemistry is better than ever and (sadly) has become the highlight of the show’s relationships for me. The 3XK? episode was ok for me but certainly not at the top of my favorite list. It does set up the potential for action later but that too will probably be unresolved. My favorite this season remains Number One Fan. The story was good; the Caskett was good (sugar sweet); the character of Emma was both scary and sympathetic and Alicia Lagano was outstanding.

Comment by T – November 25, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So a nice convenient wrap on a badly shot moment and another storyline becomes all about Beckett. I wish this surprised me. I wish I cared that I don’t care about the show anymore. I think my love affair with Castle is over and I blame season six. To those of you still loving it, please keep doing so, for Nathan and Stana I want the show to last and go out strong, but I don’t like the arcs or the way the characters are being written this year. All good things and all that. Not even the baby episode could save the show for me.goodbye and good luck.

Comment by Emily – November 25, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not becoming all about Beckett. 3XK has targeted everyone else. Now it’s Beckett’s turn. And what better way for 3XK to hurt Castle than to go after his wife-to-be?

Comment by LL624 – November 25, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That was just a bunch on non-answers!

Comment by GeoDiva – November 25, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow. Anyone else think TV shows were better when they didn’t have to cater to “fandoms” on either side of a show?! This is THEIR show, AWM and ABC and whichever studio owns it. Am I going to like everything a particular show does? No…..but it’s not my money or livelihood. So I just sit back and enjoy the ride. If I don’t enjoy the ride, I hit stop instead of complaining and threatening to quit like a 10 year old girl. Watch or don’t watch, but let them do their jobs. Just because fans posited that the song meant something more to Kate doesn’t mean that AWM and team didn’t have that plan all along. WTG internet!

Comment by J – November 25, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Couldn’t agree more. The constant complaining of the same small group of people is annoying. I personally wish they’d finally resolve the Bracken storyline but since its only 1-2 episodes per season, I’d don’t mind so much. The rest of the episodes blow away most everything else on TV.

Comment by georgiamadman – November 25, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the Castle crew will be travelling to England for the season finale where they will shoot the final scene in Dover with Vera lynn’s other big hit playing in the background as Beckett Castle & the 3xK killer fall over the cliffs paying homage to another great detective
    and paving the way for their return next season .

Comment by A.I. Persofsky – November 25, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unless they’re Agatha Christie fans in which case Rick kills 3XK and then himself: fade to black….. More of a Sherlock Holmes fan myself…

Comment by John 1138 – November 25, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Different country, similarity in descent . Fade to black with” We’ll be (reichen)back ” in the fall(s) .

Comment by a.i.persofsky – November 25, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the episode, and now I love it more, so intriguing, I’m excited to watch what will come out from it :D

Comment by Ana Rubio – November 25, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My theory now is the same as it was when the episode aired. Marlowe just confirmed it for me. The song has a personal meaning to Kate. The fact that we were never introduced to this meaning before means absolutely nothing. We’re going to learn it now. Are we not supposed to learn new things about these characters as the show continues? This was a great episode and I can’t wait until they return to this storyline. I’ll be very surprised if that’s later this season.

Comment by LL624 – November 25, 2013 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wonder if it is a song that has personal meaning for Rick and Kate, not necessarily about just Kate, that we haven’t seen yet. Either way, I look forward to seeing the return of 3XK!

Comment by J – November 25, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I do believe 3XK will be revisited this season just because it was said the caracther of the doctor would be recurring…if it´s not, than maybe just next season.

Comment by Mary – November 25, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jerry Tyson will be back and in that there’s no doubt. If AWM wishes to drive the fan base nuts, this is the most cruelly malicious character he’s ever imagined,”till we meet again”, is his calling card. The best or worst case senario would be to have 3XK kill William Brackens and frame Beckett for the murder. Follow that by shooting Castle, seriously wounding him while Castle was trying to clear Beckett name, with her under house arrest and not being able to investigate either the Bracken or Castle shootings. Leaving Beckett without ever learning why her mom will killed and thus torture both Castle and Beckett. Alexis would have to be the one to make the call to Jackson Hunt who would extract retribution in the most frightening and merciless way, and disappear leaving Alexis as the person with the knowledge of who and how everything went down.

Comment by lame – November 25, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Some of that is actually one of the most interesting twists on the story that I have heard. The lady doctor could transform someone, or herself, into a clone of Kate and then knock off Bracken, only to be seen of course. Then it is Beckett who looks guilty and the chain of events of begins. Good idea!

Comment by T – November 25, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t want them to anything that will result in a delay of the wedding or a break up and that was exactly what Marlowe was hinting at with his comment about that song having some significance to Becketts past that we don’t know about. That song is a farewell for now song between two deeply in love people and it would again mean she is keeping secrets from Castle.

Comment by Db – November 25, 2013 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares if 3XK is back? What have they done with Castle and Beckett? It’s been five episodes since they’ve kissed (yes, people keep track) and at least three since they’ve embraced romantically. Heck the last two times they’ve been shown in bed, it’s been for comic effect and there was enough room between them to park a semi.

Comment by skrable2 – November 25, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ha,ha,haaa, this is a Disney channel not HBO or Showtime, but if AWM wanted to be really funny how about having Caskett appear totally disheveled whenever they arrive at the morgue to see Lanie.[ i.e. blouse unbuttoned, fly open] Now that would be subtext. Lanie wouldn”t say a word only smile and raise her eyebrows .

Comment by lame – November 25, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Skrable all you do is complain. Why don’t you just give the show up?! In case you haven’t noticed the show is on ABC Disney and has never been written like Grey’s or Scandal. Why must Caskett kiss, touch, make love in every episode? I’m sorry, but sometimes less is more. We had a lot of kisses last season and people complained about them being too short, not enough light, not enough passion. I seriously wish some of you just stopped watching the show. I don’t need to see physicality in every episode to know these two are in love. They’re not some horny teens. I swear some fans need to take Hart Hanson’s advice and go watch a porn.

And btw, no I don’t count how many episodes it was since they last kissed. Grow up.

Comment by Shawn – November 25, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Grow up.”

You too, Shawn!

Comment by Brand – November 26, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m confused what’s Beckett’s referring to when she alludes to her use of “ice” is it something that would involve sex?

Comment by vincent m colletti – December 1, 2013 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Marlowe quote: “It could be that Beckett is just reacting to the disturbing and terrifying possibility that Tyson or Niemann will be back to toy with her and the people she loves,” he posits. “Or maybe, just maybe, Beckett has a personal history with that particular song that makes her think that it was more than just a general threat. That maybe someone out there knows more about her past than she realizes.”

The latter part of Marlowe’s statement I agree with, this is not just a reaction to 3XK, being 3XK, this song has meaning for Beckett, deep meaning, and I for one would not be so quick as some have to dismiss this fact. Is it tied to her mother, and if so why, when, how, and who would know this piece about her life? This is intimate and personal, which means there is a unspoken piece that Marlowe is about to hit all of us with, and I can’t wait. Next, if this is tied to Beckett’s mother, could she be alive? If, so who was the women in her place, and what other case is her mother tied to that would – produce the need for a double? In addition if Johanna is alive, what does that do to Kate’s memory of her mother, and how will they be reshaped, and then there is her father (folks if Marlowe goes here – we can all expect major fireworks, and then some).

Someone picked up on my posting of a story by a friend that has Kate being kidnapped by 3XK at her wedding – which my friend wrote it as before the wedding service, and she did two scenarios, one where she is kidnapped, the other where she gets cold feet and ends up back at the swings with Castle. A lot of what this friend has written has been used in episodes from 3 to Season 5, they seem to get the pulse of the show and what the writers are thinking.

Comment by Jennifer Castanati – December 3, 2013 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After viewing ‘Disciple’ again and viewing Beckett’s reaction to the song 3 or 4 times I tend to agree with Jennifer C. The song has a deep and personal meaning for Beckett that is more than realizing 3XK is alive. In the final scene when she and Castle are on the sofa discussing the case in a calm manner, it seems that she has opened her mind to the possibility that he may have survived or that his work/threat could be carried out by his disciple. Beckett has experienced a shot to the heart, stared down the barrels of guns, chased criminal suspects, dealt with PTSD, feared that she had lost Castle, dealt with the lost of her training officer/friend and being unable to assist Capt. Mongomery when he faced death. Through all of this the audience has not seen such a vulnerable and fearful look from Beckett. She was caught totally off guard. She was not overacting, she was reacting. If fact Stana took it beyond acting, she was feeling. (Good acting Stana) It was more a personal feeling. Tears came to her eyes. This was more than case related. I think Castle was reacting to Beckett. He, too, had not seen her in such a state. He was more confused. Since Marlowe and his staff offer us foreshadowing, I will regress to this. We know that Beckett is a private person. We and Castle know that she has many layers. As Castle stated in Watershed, he has had to fight at every step in order to enter her world. Early on in this series , shortly after Beckett became his muse, we witnessed Castle typing that at some point her heart had been broken. Also when Beckett and Castle argued at his book signing, he stated to her, ‘what man would ever reject you’. She didn’t respond, but a look crossed her face. Also I noted that when Beckett got the widow’s statement in The Good, The Bad, The Baby and the widow (p.s., I simply cannot remember names) told her that her husband had gotten extra security because he loved her and feared for her and that now he is dead, Beckett had a slight emotional reaction to this. It was beyond sympathy, it was more relating to the statement in a personal way. It was hardly noticeable. I think that song allowed Beckett to realized that 3XK may have some personal knowledge. Remember in Probable Cause, he told Castle he had spied on them and had witnessed their lovemaking. I don’t think Castle told her that part because Castle protects Beckett. I also wonder why the plastic surgeon found it necessary to comment on Beckett’s beauty each time they met. One time would have surficed if it was a random observation. She stated it as if she already knew Beckett was beautiful. Did she already have personal knowledge about Beckett. She also originally pushed the pin toward Castle, not Beckett. Was she trying to inform Castle about something. Remember she already knew the pen contained a USB. She seems to think Beckett will need her in the future, hence the business card. When she said beckett was not perfect, I do not think she meant her physical appearance. Ofcourse I maybe over reacting. LOL

Comment by anon – December 8, 2013 12:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • wow! very interesting viewpoint! You just may be right!

Comment by Lynn – December 8, 2013 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the last episode!!!! Would like to see more affectionate moments in each episode between castle and Beckett but not take up the whole episode. Would like to see more about the family dynamics between castle and Alexis, his mom, and Beckett I love the plots in the show but it’s nice to see things about family too it brings a human and a believable element to the characters…..thank you

Comment by Betty – December 5, 2013 08:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really looking forward to seeing where they go with this 3XK storyline. Regarding babies, however, I really, really hope they don’t go there during the show. Nothing ruins a crime drama show more than having one of the lead characters get pregnant, unless it’s her getting pregnant by another lead character. Please don’t go there, Castle. This is a crime drama, not a soap opera.

Comment by Samantha – December 7, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Forget the significance of the song…I’m still wondering where 3XK gets his money and computer skills? Did he work for the CIA and take a chunk of change with him when he left?

Comment by Kathy – December 9, 2013 12:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post