Ratings: Opposite Almost Human's Strong Debut, Amazing Race Slips and Once Hits Low

Get More: News, Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Almost Human PremiereThe future looks good for Fox’s Almost Human, which with its Sunday-night sneak peek drew 9.1 million samplers and a 3.1 demo rating, off about 10 percent from Sleepy Hollow‘s premiere numbers.

That said, inflation due to its NFL lead-in was evident, seeing as Almost Human opened the hour with 10 mil/3.4 and closed it with 8.2 mil/2.8.

Leading out of that, The Simpsons (4.1 mil/1.8) was flat while Family Guy (4.3 mil/2.2) rose two tenths.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: Follow the Laddie

Facing off against stronger, genre competition, ABC’s Once Upon a Time mustered 6.6 mil and a 1.9, sliding two tenths in the demo to a series low. Similarly, CBS’ The Amazing Race (9.1 mil/2.0) fell two tenths.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: The Baby Bump

Come 9 pm, Revenge registered 5.8 mil and a 1.5, rising 5 percent and two tenths, while CBS’ The Good Wife (9.7 mil/1.4) dipped 6 and 18 percent.

In the 10 o’clock hour, The Mentalist‘s penultimate Red John episode drew 9.5 million total viewers — its best audience since the season opener — and a 1.3 rating, ticking down a tenth. ABC’s Betrayal (3.4 mil/0.9) added some eyeballs and a tenth in the demo.

RELATED | The Mentalist Post Mortem: Did Jane Really Just [Spoiler]? Plus: Red John Showdown Preview

NBC’s Sunday Night Football coverage of the Chiefs-Broncos game averaged 25.1 million viewers and a 9.1 — up sharply versus the prelim numbers for last week’s Cowboys/Saints match-up (19.3 mil/7.0) — and netted the best primetime overnight rating for a November game in 17 years.

Comments (32)

• OUAT will rebound in 2 weeks
    It went up against Almost Human, Also for a HUGE part of the Midwest; there was No OUAT b/c of storm coverage so keep this in mind people. Markets like Chicago had no OUAT

Comment by AL – November 18, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In my opinion OUAT has dragged out this Neverland arc for waaaay too long and they haven’t been able to tell any really interesting stories while on the island. I’m not surprised people are bailing.

Comment by Erin – November 18, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. They’ve definitely failed to show enough decent Neverland flashbacks involving the characters most important to the Peter Pan story, which has been hugely disappointing. There was so much potential but I feel like half of every episode has been the same group of people tramping around the jungle and not really resolving a whole lot. I’m still a fan of the show and will watch to the very end but I think bad writing has lost them a number of viewers recently. Also a lot of people are growing tired of every character and fairy tale story being connected/related to Rumple and/or Regina.

Comment by shandelle – November 18, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I bailed on last night’s episode for that reason, and hearing people’s reactions to the reveal, I’m glad I did. Neverland was completely wasted by these writers.

Comment by Steph – November 18, 2013 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Parts of Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio were also without power for a long time although I got lucky and still had power in Cincinnati. Hoping Once’s ratings rebound big in two weeks because the show has been pretty awesome and they don’t deserve to be down so much this season. YAY that Revenge bumped up a bit this week. That show has been great too and more like season one which I loved so much. Sunday nights just suck with so much television! I feel like all the shows suffer because there’s so much competition (wouldn’t be surprised if OUAT’s DVR numbers are way bigger than normal this week due to AH).

Comment by HeatherC – November 18, 2013 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • OUAT has been getting pretty big DVR boosts this whole season. (I think I read that last week’s +7 came out to 3.2?) The fact is that it’s not appointment viewing for most people anymore and I don’t think anything in the Neverland arc changed that.

Comment by Cass – November 18, 2013 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Here in Chicago, I had power but the first 15 minutes of OUAT was pre-empted for tornado coverage. I don’t have a Neilsen box or even pay for cable for that matter, but when a show starts 15 minutes in, I wouldn’t bother. I’d already found a livestream online and watched that way. I guess my tv viewing habits don’t really count toward ratings, however. I think much of the Midwest being unable to watch accounted for a big drop in ratings, but definitely also stronger competition in the timeslot. I wouldn’t be worried, though. The show is almost guaranteed a renewal and we know it gets huge ratings boosts from +3/+7 results.

Comment by Shandelle – November 18, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad to see that about Almost Human, here’s hoping tonights episode of Almost Human can maintain it’s viewers.

Bad news about OUAT, really enjoying season three!

Comment by Ashley – November 18, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Almost Human was fantastic. And surprisingly I really enjoyed OUAT last night and the Pan reveal. One of my favorite episodes, I’m not a big fan of the show anymore. For me it’s lost its appeal. Revenge, I don’t know what to say. I feel like I’m rewatching s1 with all this Daniel / Emily marriage ridiculousness. They’ve ruined Daniels character IMO. And the pregnancy card……my eyes rolled so hard they damn near popped right out of my head.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 18, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Daniel actually used to be likeable and I much preferred the Daniel/Emily/Jack triangle than the Aiden/Emily/Jack one. Daniel’s character used to be so much better written. They turned him into a jerk too quickly without any real explanation. They did the same thing with Charlotte too. Can someone please remind me why Charlotte is so against Emily now?

Comment by Ally Oop – November 18, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, don’t get the quick turnabout for either Charlotte or Daniel either. Makes no sense.

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 18, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s funny because the “my eyes rolled so hard they damn near popped right out of my head” line perfectly describes my reaction to OUAT’s Pan reveal.

Comment by Ali – November 18, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hahaha, I think the reason why I liked it was because I haven’t been paying very much attention to the detail of the show lately, because I’m just not all that interested, so when that happened I was like “really, that’s kinda cool”. Plus I’ve been a bit of a Pan fan when most people can’t stand the character. I live in the minority :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 18, 2013 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the first very entertaining season, Emily took down someone every episode. It’s devolved into just another soap opera.

Comment by bobbie – November 18, 2013 01:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wanted to see Almost Human, but I’ll have to catch it online, since I’m a faithful OUAT watcher (though I don’t have a Neilson box…I want one!) I was nervous it wouldn’t show because of the tornado-like weather. I’m also happy The Mentalist aired at the right time. If they keep this up, maybe the ratings will stay decent.

Comment by Lysh – November 18, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The ratings were horrible last night, not decent!

Comment by Alex – November 18, 2013 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Almost Human would have had higher numbers due to it’s gazillion promos and with the NFL bump….Sleepy Hallow did way better imo….also that sharp 0.6 drop in it’s 2nd half hour is nothing to brag about. Jmho

Comment by Jess – November 18, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re comment, plus a number of others, seem to indicate some kind of completely odd dislike of Almost Human. There have been a number of people on Almost Human columns who seem to want the show to fail. By all accounts, last nights show was a very good show – I’d expect how well it continues to do in the ratings may ultimately depend on whether or not people continue to see it that way.

Comment by BenM – November 18, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m honestly surprised that Almost Human premiere as low as it did, but I’m glad it did.

Also, I think it will drop some tonight because of CBS, but I think next week will be the real test when The Voice is back live at 8.

Comment by Sarah – November 18, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re glad it premiered low?

The show’s casting people reject you for a part our something?

Comment by John 1138 – November 18, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting pretty good ratings for a heavily hyped premiere is one thing.

Keeping that rating is quite another. Let’s see how the show is doing after 4-5 weeks.

Comment by J.Norman – November 18, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very pleased with Almost Human’s ratings. Lets hope it stays up.

Comment by BenM – November 18, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC’s drama slate is in quite a bit of strife (apart from veterans Greys and Castle, and Scandal). OUAT is the tentpole show for Sunday and going below 2 is a not a great sign.

Comment by Apples – November 18, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The very fact that people consider Scandal a veteran show (given that it is just airing it’s 2nd season) shows how much ABC depends on a select few shows..as you said ABC depends way too much on Castle (S6), Grey’s (S10) & Scandal.
      Gone were the days when ABC ruled the roost with the likes of Lost & Desperate Housewives.

Comment by Rich Abey – November 18, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No I called Greys and Castle veterans, and put Scandal in a separate category (it is now in its third season)- not a veteran, but obviously doing well.
        Nonetheless, we’re basically agreed. ABC’s dramas are fairing poorly for the most part and its new shows have generally crashed. Even SHIELD is yet to stabilize.

Comment by Apples – November 18, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Gone are the days when anyone rules the roost with the likes of anything… except for Singing competitions. It’s not the networks and the product they are putting out – its the way people are consuming their television.
        If the same shows at the same quality were debuting ten years ago when Lost did, I bet they would have ratings that look more like Lost’s ratings.

Comment by ben – November 18, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Once slipped because all those who depend on the Chicago market didn’t get to even SEE the first 30 minutes of the episode.

Comment by Red – November 18, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited about Almost Human it was WAY better than I thought it would be. As for OUAT I just couldn’t get into this season and I was an avid watcher. It doesn’t matter anyway b/c Almost Human is going to be on Monday nights going forward

Comment by bostongreekgirl (@BostonGreekgirl) – November 18, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is getting better and better this season!
    Viewers from season 1 who left watchingdue to the stupid Season 2 Initiative storyline, should totally watch it again! Its back to its raw revengelicious goodness! #PleaseDontCancelRevengeCuzIWorshipVictoriaGrayson

Comment by trainwreck – November 18, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is so exciting again and to think I almost bailed after the first two episodes. It too gains a substantial amount of viewers with dvr.

Comment by Jake – November 18, 2013 12:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The twist on OUT last night was pretty good and I didn’t see that coming at all but this season has been so boring I’m almost giving up

Comment by Pati – November 18, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just watched the pilot and the show from Monday night, and one word describes this new show- Awesome! I wasn’t sure if I wanted to watch them because of so many other shows that I am invested in, but then I figured why not. So with that, Almost Human has won me over.

Comment by Pat – November 19, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post