Ratings: DWTS and Castle Down, The Voice and Sleepy Hollow Rise, Mom and Molly Hit Lows

Get More: News, Ratings

The First And Last Ride-AlongDancing With the Stars stumbled this week, hitting an all-time demo low for a Monday telecast — with a 1.7 rating — while dipping 9 percent in audience to 12.5 million total viewers.

Castle in turn dropped 6 and two tenths, to 10.1 mil and a 2.0 (per finals).

RELATED | Read TVLine’s Recaps for Dancing With the Stars and Castle

Elsewhere….

CBS | How I Met Your Mother (8.1 mil/3.1) shed viewers and 9 percent in the demo, 2 Broke Girls (8.2 mil/2.7) ticked up a tenth, Mike & Molly (8.6 mil/2.3) fell 11 percent to an all-time fall low and Mom (7 mil/1.9) slipped a tenth to a series low. Hostages (4.5 mil/1.1) lost some viewers but held steady in the demo.

NBC | The Voice (11.9 mil/3.8) rose two tenths in the demo, while The Blacklist (10.7 mil/3.0) hit a four-week high in audience and ticked up a tenth in the demo. Fun fact: Blacklist packs on, like, an additional 5 million viewers with DVR playback.

RELATED | The Voice Top 12 Performance Recap: Another Day for You and Me in Paradise?

FOX | Bones‘ Monday finale (7.4 mil/2.0) added a few viewers while flat in the demo, and Sleepy Hollow (7 mil/2.6) inched up a tenth.

RELATED | Sleepy Hollow Recap: Getting a Head

THE CW | Hart of Dixie (1.1 mil/0.4) and Beauty and the Beast (750K/0.3) each added a couple eyeballs while flat in the demo.

Comments (57)

• I haven’t figured it out yet but something is different about Mike and Molly I different and I’m not really liking it

Comment by Joe – November 12, 2013 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The show is now all about her career change at the expense of the supporting characters. I don’t like it either.

Comment by Carm – November 12, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. And it’s so stupidly unrealistic. Yep, just quit a job with bennies and a pension, and then decide to be a writer. You haven’t been writing while you’ve been working, but yeah, start now, The mother-in-laws comment about making room on her bookshelf was great. Keep living in your parents basement, survive on your hubbies salary (which he said was less than your teachers), and keep spending on those credit cards. We came into this show late last season, and fell in love with it. What they have done with it this season is awful.

Comment by CountryQueen – November 12, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • ITA. It began as a new start for a pair of overweight, lonely people who came together over a common goal. It’s become an absurd and vulgar slapstick mess. I’ve given up on it.

Comment by Fallon – November 12, 2013 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s called “We have a ‘BIG’ star on the show now, so we need to take advantage of it” syndrome. Many shows in the past have done that. For those old enough to remember, “The Fonz” was supposed to be a very minor character on Happy Days. Didn’t even have a leather jacket in his first few episodes. Same with “Urkel” on Family Matters.

Comment by Bob – November 12, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They have ruined Mike & Molly by trying to make her character like the one in Bridesmaids or Heat. What was great about the show is gone now.

Comment by Bmc9999 – November 12, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree. I’m so disappointed. I loved Molly before but they’ve turned her into the offensive clown characters her portrayer plays on the big screen. They’ve even changed the theme song which used to be nice. The show was tender, sweet and really funny before. Now the whole show is nothing but her loud, obnoxious unfunny stunts with the other characters (including even Mike!) nothing more than window dressing. They have completely destroyed it. I won’t tune in again.

Comment by april-ann – November 12, 2013 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • low ratings for castle should be expected for this week. 3 weeks of Alexis stuff in a row pissed off a lot of viewers. maybe some just decided tuning in wasn’t worth it this week.

Comment by morgan – November 12, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I think it was the opposite…the promo and s.p. didn´t show Alexis or Pi, so no conflict. People may complain about them, but I think conflicts atract more viewers.

Comment by Mary – November 12, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed 100% Morgan. Maybe the SP didnt show Alexis but nobody knew if she would be in this episode too.

Comment by Blakblank – November 12, 2013 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We really can’t point out exactly why the ratings change as they do. For example some fantastic episodes from last season like the fan-favorite comic-con themed episode ‘Final Frontier’ had only 10 million viewers flat, while the horror-themed episode ‘Scared to Death’ which wasn’t exactly a fan-favorite had 11.3 million viewers. All this variation happened despite both episodes being aired outside the viewer-low ‘December-February’ period.

Comment by Rich Abey – November 13, 2013 06:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who was happy that they shot the boyfriend on Hostages? He was working on my last nerve, where Pi from Castle was on.
    And why did we need to see a fly growing out of Hodgins neck and those nasty slugs? The noises they were making me freak out!
    Overall I’m glad my shows are doing well, but I wish Beauty and the Beast was doing better. Jay Ryan is getting hotter by the minute and the show is getting better.

Comment by Britt – November 12, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, the whole boyfriend on Hostages was a story line that was not needed. The show has enough going on that they could have left that out.

Comment by MJ – November 12, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the BF being killed was supposed to be dramatic but it was a complete dud :-)

Comment by wrstlgirl – November 12, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still love Bones and Castle and watch them all the time!

Comment by pam – November 12, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HoD deserves so much better. Yesterday was great. Hostages was a bit slow yesterday but good overall. I hope CBS gives them a 2nd chance.

Comment by Maki – November 12, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Hart of Dixie! It’s nice to have shows like that and Parenthood about real life people without any supernatural elements! It fills the gap One Tree Hill left too!

Comment by David – November 12, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hart of Dixie wasn’t on in Miami! All I got was sucky Modern Family re-runs!

Comment by Alice – November 12, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the first time in a long time I love Bones more than I did Castle. In fact I think this season of Bones is better than Castle.

Comment by RBA – November 12, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I’ve been a long time fan of both Bones & Castle too but haven’t felt the same. Sure this is one of the better seasons of Bones in a while but still nothing can top the awesomeness of Castle this season!

Comment by Rich Abey – November 13, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t stand Castle this season. The emotion got ripped from the show.

Comment by Shaylee – November 14, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Castle adjusts up in the demo, given how an overrun of DWTS and its awful demo share would affect the numbers.

Comment by Apples – November 12, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unlikely…. Castle will not adjust up given that it saw a huge drop off in viewers at the half..

Halves. 10.65 and 2.0 for 10PM and 9.52 and 1.9 at 1030PM

Comment by eridapo – November 12, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If those are the half-hours, then yes it will not adjust up. However I saw different half-hours posted in the TVBTN comments…

Comment by Apples – November 12, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • These are the halves per Marc Berman… The guy that posted the halves at TVBTNS just stole them from Marc Berman without giving Marc Credit. I can tell you that because Marc made a mistake at 10PM which he later corrected, and the mistake is still in the post at TVBTNs. Note… Neither Bill nor Robert (from TVBTN) have posted any halves officially.

Comment by eridapo – November 12, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I know they were the uncredited halves from Berman. I guess Castle will stay at 1.9.

Comment by Apples – November 12, 2013 10:55 AM PDT
      • Glad to see Castle did adjust up :)

Comment by Apples – November 12, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Me, too.

Comment by Just one thing – November 12, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was wronged.. Sleepy Hollow, Mike & Molly and Castle were each adjusted up a tenth

Comment by eridapo – November 12, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m proud of Bones :) It may have been flat, Matt, but it beat DWTS in its hour and was 3rd. And hopefully it gets adjusted up.

Comment by Sarah – November 12, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bones had a great episode last night with the Kathie Reichs written episode.

Comment by RBA – November 12, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy to see The Blacklist go back up..best show on TV. James Spader is absolutely brilliant.

Comment by bonesfan – November 12, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the blacklist & sleepy hollow. Two very good shows.

Comment by enri – November 12, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • enjoyed Castle last night, loved Hostages. I personally thought that Bones was boring last night. i could of done with out the giving birth to a fly bit as well.

Comment by James D – November 12, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Blacklist is such a great show!

Comment by sarah – November 12, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How much does Sleepy Hollow add with DVR playbacks? It’s on opposite a very popular LIVE show, so I’m guessing it’s a lot, too.

Comment by meem – November 12, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Hart of Dixie was getting ratings like it was before, at least 1.30 million and a .6 demo, oh well I hope it can do decent on Fridays enough to keep it past season 4.

Comment by fernando rodriguez (@Fernanaberry) – November 12, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should have Monday Night Football in the fall and DWTS in the spring…why they haven’t figured that out is beyond me.

Comment by Graham – November 12, 2013 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do know that Monday Night Football is on ESPN, right

Comment by P Diddily – November 12, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Disney owns both ABC and ESPN. I thought there was some drama, or at least a decent story, behind the MNF move to ESPN whenever that happened. Either way, ABC could use the Nielsens facelift, but I doubt ESPN execs would go for it.

Comment by Just one thing – November 12, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • They make more money overall having the football on ESPN.

Comment by Apples – November 12, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Believe it or not the reason ABC got rid of MNF back in the day was that it had become a ratings loser compare to the rest of the lineup….. MNF only looks good now because Broadcast TV has collapse over the years.

Comment by eridapo – November 12, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Melissa McCarthy is really funny but it seems like she has to carry the entire weight of this show. The other characters with the possible exception of Mike’s mom are not very funny. I tried the first couple of episodes but I’m not compelled to go back for a third. The writing is sub-par and the characters are just bland.

Comment by Babygate – November 12, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Blacklist was so solid last night. Great episode, and I loved Justin Kirk playing a bad guy. Definitely my favorite new drama of the season.

Comment by CJ – November 12, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We’ve been watching Mike and Molly since it started. It was one of our favorites but this season hasn’t been as good. I don’t know what’s different but something has changed. Hopefully it will get better.

Comment by Sarah Schaefer – November 12, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They completely changed Molly’s character from caring teacher to asinine mean drunk, clown doing pratfalls, and drop out, irresponsible egocentric . The show was always borderline blue, now it’s just trashy and vulgar.

Comment by Stormy – November 12, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m reading the comments, keeping an eye out for how CBS Monday night comedies are doing. I knew M&M was trying to adjust to a more ‘Molly’ centric format – from the comments here [and elsewhere], that change may not be working. And, as M&M goes, so goes Mom. Mom will be continue to be dependent upon it’s lead-in, be it TBG, or M&M. There may be a point where CBS decides to try Mom at 9pm and hope.

If M&M and Mom continue to drift lower, and TBG remains flat (at best), CBS could be in for some rough going in May as they try to determine what to schedule for Fall ’14 on Mondays. For any fan of HIMYM who may want to see a HIMYF spin off (and I’m not saying I’m 100% on board with this idea at this point), chances are that we may indeed see this spinoff pilot this spring, and series next fall if TGB-M&M-Mom don’t catch fire by March/pilot season.

If the numbers on these three are still flat/drifting lower at that point, something will have to be done and a full shakeup of the Monday lineup could be very possible. I also don’t believe 2.5 Men will be coming back next fall, so CBS will have a lot of holes to fill if they continue to program eight comedies over two blocks on Monday and Thursday. I’m sure they would hate to scale back, but CBS may have to scale back to just the one hour of comedies on Thursday nights if the Monday night lineup is in trouble and needs help.

Comment by TV Scout – November 12, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh about your fun fact Matt: TB comes at 1 on the viewership increase from DVR, and Castle is not far behind at 3 (TBBT is at 2). That Monday 10 pm hr is much watch TV, I guess!

Comment by Apples – November 12, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy to see The Black List and Sleepy Hollow do well. For once, two new shows I’ve become attached to are doing well in the ratings.
    Love that Bones and Castle are doing well too. Both have hitandmiss episodes, but mostly steadyasshegoes.
    Very much looking forward to Almost Human next weeks.

Comment by mandy – November 12, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How much longer can they keep airing B&B with those numbers, put Carrie Diaries there! HIMYM is horrible this year for show ending year should not be this way, the Marshal plot alone with that gross Sheri Shepherd, its just constant shriek whinefest of all cast members! Dancing With The Stars judging with audience numbers problem this year is making viewers angry and if not corrected fast this show will be major problematic next year. My last thing, Is anyone not curious that next year if NBC moves the Blacklist away from the Voice will it lose all its viewers just as The Revolution did?

Comment by DavidSask – November 12, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Revolution lost viewers because as soon as it got really good they took it off the air for four months.

Comment by tp – November 12, 2013 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • boy did last night HIMYM really expose how stupid this whole season over a weekend thing is. But the mom is great

Comment by Paul – November 12, 2013 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know what was on CW here last night, but Dixie & Beast won’t air until Sat. at 2pm.

Comment by Diz – November 12, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Sleepy Hollow.

Comment by MisterGrimmster – November 12, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Blacklist seems to be doing well. I’m curious to watch it, but I don’t think I can see anything with current day James Spader in it. It just makes me sad because I miss sexy James Spader so much. You know, from back in his Secretary days. I know it’s been 10 years since that movie came out, but it doesn’t really feel like it’s been that long. I want James Spader to look like that again. I was just watching The Saint Sunday night, and it made me miss sexy Val Kilmer too. Nowadays he looks like he’s been spending his weekends eating cheetos and playing Magic the Gathering. Anyhoo….tangent!

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – November 12, 2013 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as they say, the DVR adds 5 million pounds.

Comment by cjeffery7 – November 12, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Voice ratings are down17% because they sang a song about heaven and excluded the word Lord in the song. Instead of in the sky Lord in the sky, they sang in the sky Oh in the sky. All the way through the song they replaced the Lord with Oh! They offended every person of Christian faith that watched the show. I didn’t watch, and never will again. I hope as other Christian people find out about it they wont watch again either. They could have chosen another song. What were they thinking!!!! We of Christian faith are still the majority in this country. I actually told one today that didn’t know about it she was shocked, and said she will never watch again. How dare you!!!!

Comment by BG – December 14, 2013 08:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post