Arrow's Caity Lotz Talks Bo Staff Bruises, Her Ra's al Ghul Refresher and Canary's Mind Games

Arrow Spoilers Black CanaryFor Caity Lotz, playing Arrow‘s Canary aka Sara Lance has not come without its bumps and bruises.

For though the actress has a martial arts background (in disciplines such as Tae Kwon Do and Muai Thai) and almost segued from a professional dance career (backing up the likes of Lady Gaga and Avril Lavigne) into stunt work, wielding a bo staff and the occasional makeshift kali sticks marked a teaching moment.

“I did a bit of training with our stunt coordinator, Bam-Bam [Bamford], but I definitely got bruises all over me,” she shares with TVLine. Anyone who has been in close proximity as the leather-clad avenger does her thing, however, came away unscathed. “I don’t think I hit anybody else, luckily. Just myself!”

RELATED | Arrow‘s Emily Bett Rickards Talks Canary Intrigue, ‘Rifts’ With Oliver, Flash-y Flirtation

Lotz, whose previous credits include Mad Men and a Bring It On sequel, didn’t quite know what she was getting into when she eyeballed a gig on the CW drama (airing Wednesdays at 8/7c). “I first came in to read for ‘Lisa,’ a very mysterious character that nobody really knew anything about,” she relates. “Even the [audition pages] were made up. It wasn’t until I met with the producers that I learned who I was actually going to be playing.”

Filling the role of Sara Lance — the presumed dead sister of Laurel and onetime hook-up of Oliver — would have been interesting enough. Fold in the character’s secret identity, as Canary, and you up the ante further. But then Arrow took things to a new level, by establishing the well-trained badass as a member of the League of Assassins, one of DC Comics’ most richly realized organizations. Lotz says she thus embarked on a crash course in DC mythology, capped by a screening of Christopher Nolan’s Batman Begins, which costarred Liam Neeson as the fearsome Ra’s al Ghul.
League of AssassinsAs Canary’s story picks up this week, the League of Assassins’ Al-Owal (Homeland‘s Navid Negahban) resumes his determined bid to bring Sara back to the fold, where a certain someone awaits her return. There’s also an entertaining tease (Is League member Malcolm Merlyn alive?!) and the introduction of another DC Comics baddie. Says Lotz, “There are some interesting characters we bring in, including a pretty cool villain” whom she declined to name.

RELATED | The CW’s Arrow Casts Firefly Vet Sean Maher as DC Comics’ Shrapnel

But what brought Sara, who in flashback Keep Your Enemies Closeris seen cavorting with Oliver aboard the Queen’s Gambit, to this dark place? What happened to her aboard the freighter that ultimately imprisoned Oliver? “There are a lot of mind games being played with Sara, by the people who have her,” Lotz previews. “That’s definitely influencing things” — including her shocking first words to Oliver upon their reunion.

Back in Starling City, in the present, can Oliver possibly convince Sara to reveal herself to her family? Coming out of last week’s episode, “She’s pretty against it. She’s afraid for their safety, and she doesn’t feel like she deserves their love, because of who she became,” Lotz explains. That said, don’t rule out some close calls, or more, just yet. Teases the actress, “You’ll just have to watch and find out!”

1. Best live-action Canary to date.

• The domino mask even works with her. I can’t tell she’s the same woman from the third picture.

• M3rc Nate says:

I agree! Its pretty awesome. The mask+ the wig = hard to tell who she is…especially considering the wig does/would draw your eye away from her facial features. Unlike the hood which draws your attention to his lower face which with the birthmark/stubble is obviously Oliver Queen lol. I dont get why they dont digitally add much more shadow from the hood so it basically always looks like its too dark to see his face. Or make the hood deeper (think Assassins Creed hoods) so his lower face isnt always sticking out.

Funny thing is if you told them to make it more like the comics…it would become even more obvious when you have him grow out the wild goatee which is blonde. Also i think they should go heavier/more area with the green paint on Oliver’s face. Sometimes it looks good and is heavy on there and all over his upper face, but other times its like just under his eye lids and basically is purposeless.

2. CBWBDK1 says:

Much better than her sister! I hate Laurel so much!!

• Oliver Queen says:

Laurel will become Black Canary in the last show of the season. Mortal lock, take it to the bank and bet your house on it.

I know.

• M3rc Nate says:

That doesnt make sense. First off the creator(s)/writers have said they have a 5 season plan (that they can obviously go further than), and Katie Cassidy has said multiple times how shes excited to be the Black Canary and to get physical and be a heroine. They arent going to Smallville Katie Cassidy/Laurel/Black Canary. They arent going to not use all the ripe story line material of Oliver doing his Green Arrow thing and working with/against Laurel as Black Canary.

3. JC says:

Really looking forward to this episode, although I won’t get to see it until tomorrow. I’ve been loving Arrow this season – it just keeps getting better and better. Just crossing my fingers they don’t kill Sara off – one of Ausiello’s answers yesterday made me a little nervous.

4. Kira says:

They should go ahead and cancel any plans to have Laurel turn into Black Canary. Caity Lotz is the only one I want to see as BC. Laurel would be nothing but a mediocre imitation. Since the show is putting their own spin on the mythology keep BC in the Lance family. Laurel can be Sara’s sidekick :)

5. sarah says:

I guess I am in the minority but I am not a fan of hers. She is great in the action scenes, but she is not the best actress.
    I am sure Malcolm is alive, I thought that after the season finale, that he was not dead.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, I gotta agree with you, I’m not feeling her performance as far as the acting goes. The action scenes and stuntwork are great but I’d be more invested in the character if there was a slightly better actress playing her.

• Mila says:

I agree with you. Her acting leaves a lot to be desired.

• JC says:

I like her, but I think one of the reasons she’s getting so much praise is the comparison with Katie Cassidy’s Laurel, and Laurel’s not coming off at all favorably. Laurel is a big part of what’s making Sara look so good.

• Kristina says:

I feel the same way. She’s ok, but the Laurel character is terrible, so a lot of fans are desperate for news that we won’t be stuck with her as Black Canary.

• Meredith says:

I’m on your team too. And my biggest issue is that she’s a mouth breather. I just want to yell at her to close her mouth every once in a while. Either that or she’s working for a perpetual sexy pout that is failing.

• M3rc Nate says:

Well to be fair…shes had basically no scenes that call for acting lol. 95% has been fighting/running/etc and 4% making a statement or comment and %1 actual conversation/aka acting. I would say wait until we get into the nitty gritty of her back-story, aka her flash backs. Lots of good acting will be required from her in those scenes.

6. Drew says:

I hope Malcolm is dead. His being alive would make Oliver look a little stupid, since he obviously wasn’t arrested either. “I let him get away? Oops, my bad!”

Yeah, that would be lame.

7. James D says:

I don’t hate Laurel but with that said if the writers were to write her off the show and replace her with Caity I’d be totally cool with that she is a fantastic Black Canary, and from the little we’ve seen seems to have better chemistry with Amell. As much as I love John Borrowman i think bringing Malcolm back would be a little soap operay. i wonder who the other villain will be?

• John 1138 says:

“seems to have better chemistry with Amell.” I saw that as well: but I suspect they’re going to play that as the echoes of a VERY dark training period where she abuses him right over the edge.

8. Alan says:

sara better not die, she is the best thing thats happened this season and it would be a travesty to throw that away.

• Oliver Queen says:

Sara dies in the season finale. Laurel will, unsuspectingly, utter the classic Black Canary scream and realize that she is, genetically, Black Canary.

• JLK says:

I hope not. I prefer Black Canary’s “scream” being created by technology. It’s more realistic. I half wonder if you work for the show and are trolling for comments to see what the fan’s reaction would be if you went in certain directions.

• meatwad says:

personally I would be fine with meta humans popping up on the show but all I’ve ever read was how they were gonna keep it “grounded” which is usually a bad thing for a comic book story but its working on this show so yeah I imagine laurel’s canary will be a lot more like sara’s

• No, just a regular boring troll.
          Not a paid actually useful troll. ;)

9. Karen MT says:

Every time I see Bam-Bam’s name pop up in the interviews, I get really excited. I heard a lot about him when he was coordinator on Stargate Atlantis, thanks to a certain director’s blog. It makes the fight scenes even cooler.

10. MM says:

God I wish they would kill the Canary already, simply because Caity’s mouth is driving me crazy. I could not even enjoy the episode because all I could focus on was that perma-duckface she has going on. GAHHHHHH!

11. Phantom says:

I like Caity’s Canary……and her chemistry with Oliver. I don’t particularly like Laurel anymore. I would rather see Oliver with Caity or Felicity…..that Felicity is sooooo cute. Her and Oliver would make a good match…….she is just as smart and so much cuter than Laurel. I wouldn’t care if they got rid of Laurel. She is too high strung and not that good an actress.

12. rajat says:

malcolm being alive would shift the burden of guilt from oliver’s mother to him, thereby providing for a way for her to escape the noose…,

13. Chris says:

Will she be promoted to a serise regular

14. Katelynne says:

Okay lets get one thing clear. The design for Black Canary was really awesome but just because you get a good actress and a good costume that doesnt mean you can botch up the characters origin or character. It wouldnt have been so bad if they had at least gotten the name right. Dinah Laurel is Black Canary not Sarah Lance.