Ratings: Good Wife Eyes Highs, ABC Dramas Rise

Ratings Good Wife Season HighsCBS’ The Good Wife this Sunday put up especially good numbers, rising 4 percent in total audience to a season-high 9.8 million viewers and rising two tenths to match this season’s best demo rating, 1.6, per fast nationals.

And this was airing an hour later in many markets (due to football overrun), and with the World Series now out of the mix.

Leading into Good Wife, The Amazing Race did 9.4 mil/2.0, up 16 percent and two tenths. The Mentalist swapped in a repeat due to the late start time, thus pushing back all coming episodes by a week.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: Chamber of Secrets

Over on ABC, Once Upon a Time (7.5 mil/2.3) and Betrayal (3.5 mil/1.0) each added a handful of viewers and a tenth in the demo, while Revenge rose 11 and 21 percent to 6.3 mil/1.7.

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Back to the Future

Fox’s The Simpsons returned to 5.5 mil/2.5 (down 17 percent in the demo), Bob’s Burgers (3.8 mil/1.8) ticked down a tenth, Family Guy (4.9 mil/2.5) was flat and American Dad (3.7 mil/1.9) dipped two tenths.

NBC’s Sunday Night Football, per prelim data (15.4 mil/5.7), was up a smidgen week-to-week.

1. Jake says:

Revenge is awesome again. The good wife is so stressful to watch, it’s like going to a family dinner.

2. Ames says:

guess all the (well-deserved) hype from last weeks amazing episode had a few more people coming back. Hope this trend continues. Would love another season of The Good Wife.

• I was lucky enough to catch the beginning just in time and watched it as it aired. Not as great as last weeks episode but still better than it’s been. What is going on in Grace’s mind?

• Zayne says:

One of the things I love most about this show is they don’t usually spell out stuff like that. They let the viewers decide. I’m glad the ratings bumped back up. If this season, it’s absolute best so far, is its last, I’ll be extremely pissed.

3. iMember says:

YESSS!!!! So glad REVENGE rose. Last nights episode was FANTASTIC!! I hope this is the start of an upward trend!

4. HeatherC says:

Glad to see OUAT and Revenge go up this week! I think both shows have been pretty amazing so far this year. =)

• RUCookie says:

100% agree. Loving OUAT sooo much this season. Bringing a smaller group to Neverland has created some fun interactions. And Revenge is much better this season – I am happy to see that Emily’s team is all on the same page. Loving this block on Sunday night!

5. d4h8a15r16m23a42 says:

Because of the football overrun isn’t CBS more likely to adjust down? I’m pretty sure that’s the case so people shouldn’t get excited too early.

6. Eric7740 says:

Way to go OUAT!!! Amazing episode last night!!! Season 1 caliber!!!

7. enri says:

Bummed about the mentalist not airing. This season has been so good

8. Amanda says:

I usually have to decide between watching the Good Wife and Revenge, but thanks to the late airing, I got to enjoy Once, Revenge, and the Good Wife all in a row. Best night for TV!

9. Jimmy says:

I can’t say that I happy about the animosity between Alicia, Will, and Diane but it’s certainly making for some interesting and frenetic television. It was nice to see Mamie Gummer again, her character is always a lot of fun when she’s going up against Alicia.

10. Matt says:

Awesome news for Once and Revenge! I cannot wait to see how the rest of the Neverland storyline plays out, and Revenge was awesome as always!

11. MIka says:

GO REVENGE!

12. I was very annoyed with CBS about the Mentalist swap. I stayed up quite late waiting for it only to have no new episode. (Okay, fine, not really. I was procrastinating on my thesis.) I wish that they had announced that they were going to do it before hand so that fans wouldn’t have been expecting it. Especially with how they left things.

13. Ms Thing says:

TGW is such a pleasure to watch. I love the new dynamics between Florrick-Agos and Lockhart-Gardner.

14. Roger says:

Good news for Betrayal. Happy for Revenge.

15. IMO, The Good Wife will always suffer in the ratings as long as CBS insists on letting sports determine what time it airs. It’s so frustrating!!! Only the super word-of-mouth over last week’s show gave it a boost this week.

16. J says:

I am glad for TGW but many Mentalist fans were waiting fir their “Hitting the Fan” like episode. Some of the ratings could be inflated I know several people watch TGW waiting for a new TM. What were the TM repeat ratings?

• R.D. Frable ♞ says:

Given it was (for all intents and purposes) post-primetime I doubt any ratings would even include it; the one list I saw didn’t.

CBS has to be held over the fire on this. The four-hour primetime just is not feasible anymore during football season, and possibly not during college basketball season either, esp. once you get to the end of the major conferences’ schedule and the NCAAs.

Their thinking obviously has been that they won’t be made to look like (vulgar plural anatomical reference voluntarily withdrawn by Frable) for following Fox’s lead and filling to the top of the next hour with football talk, never mind that the talking actually is happening somewhere on the Net, if I’m not mistaken…

17. Shaun says:

Woo,I saw The Mentalist online.It was a good one.Revenge was really great last night too,Emily was on fire!

18. kenara says:

I was kind of disappointed in this latest episode for TGW. After ‘Hitting The Fan”, CBS needed to keep building on that and keep the pace frenetic. I’m not so sure I like the whole “Alicia” steals a client in one episode then she loses in the next. Hopefully, this won’t be an ‘every episode” type of thing and I think they need to keep the animosity between Will/Dianne and Alicia/Carey. Otherwise, it’ll come off looking like a cheap ratings gimmick. I definitely wont want to see Will and Alicia hooking back up.

But, I think Lockhart/Gardner is setting themselves up to be acquired by Florick/Agos by the time the season ends. Now that Hayden Clarke is coming in to help Florick/Agos, that’s going to be a wonderful team in going up against Lockhart/Gardner.

19. Phillip says:

Where I’am, Minnesota, I didn’t be a rerun of The Mentalist. It was a brand new episode.

20. Britta Unfiltered says:

The Simpsons was supposed to air the Bart the Lover episode in the 6:30/7:30 time slot, which I was really looking forward to seeing after hearing of Marcia Wallace’s death, but instead they aired the episode where Krabappel starts dating Flanders. It’s not nearly as funny and as sweet an episode as Bart the Lover. What the heck happened there? Why the change up? My cable guide claimed it was Bart the Lover that I was watching. But I did like the short tribute they did for Marcia during the new episode. Our chalkboard gag was “We’ll really miss you, Mrs. K”, and the ending credits featured a short “Hah!” clip of Mrs. Krabappel with the dedication. It made me weepy. I’m still so bummed out over her death. I don’t know why, it’s not like I knew her.