Ratings: Scandal Tops Quiet, Halloween-ified First Night of November Sweeps

LINUS AND SALLY WAIT IN THE PUMPKIN PATCH FOR THE GREAT PUMPKIN TO APPEARNielsen delivered its annual autumnal trick to broadcasts this morning, as depressed Halloween viewership took its toll on the first night of November sweeps.

In the 8 o’clock hour, when the available demo audience was down 11 percent,The Great Pumpkin gave ABC a boost, delivering 7 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating<– an improvement upon Wonderland’s most recent tallies (4.4 mil/1.1). Grey’s Anatomy then did 8.9 mil and a 2.6, dipping two tenths week-to-week, while Scandal (9.2 mil/2.9) rose 7 percent in audience and held steady in the demo, topping the night in that measure.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy’s Camilla Luddington Weighs In on Alex’s Decision, Future of ‘JoLex’
RELATED | Scandal Recap: The Mother Of All Twists — Plus: The Kennedy Assassination Solved?!

Over on CBS, a Big Bang rerun opened the night with 11.6 mil and a 2.5. The Millers led out of that with 9.6 mil/2.0 (down 26 percent from last week’s 2.7), while The Crazy Ones (8.1 mil1/.9) fell 17 percent. Elementary closed the Eye’s night with 9.4 mil/1.7, adding eyeballs and down just a tenth in the demo.

SNL‘s Halloween special opened NBC’s night with 5.5 mil/1.7, teeing up Sean Saves the World (4.1 mil/1.2) for a gain of a tenth. Michael J Fox (3.6 mil/1.1) however dipped a tenth, while Parenthood was again rock steady at 4 mil/1.3.

RELATED | Parenthood Recap: Marital Mess, Election Upswing, Agonizing Apologies and Puppy Love

The CW’s numbers are subject to adjustment, due to NFL preemptions, but for right now, Vampire Diaries is registering 2.1 mil/0.8 (versus last week’s 2.6 mil/0.8), while Reign is at 1.6 mil/0.6 (down a few viewers but steady in the demo.)

RELATED | The Vampire Diaries Recap: Mommie Dearest

Fox’s X Factor clip show delivered series lows of 2.6 mil and a 0.8.

1. Sara says:

CW wasn’t pre-empted for football but a Halloween show in New York. It aired later at 10pm. Reign aired at its usual time.

2. Jax says:

I’m ready for this wacky, messed up ratings week to end! No more World Series and Halloween to distract the viewers. Now we can get back to “normalized” viewing and see where shows really stand.

3. Fernando says:

Glad Reign stayed steady, I’m rooting for this CW show.

• Rita says:

Me too! Gosh, it’s so good & different… I really hope they keep it, otherwise it’ll be such a disappointment (everyone I’ve talked to who watches Reign, has been obcessed with it since episode 1). Please CW DO NOT CANCEL REIGN. At least give it a full season to see how things progress! :x

• Erin says:

Yes, this is probably my favorite new show of the season. It may be a far cry from historically accurate but it’s just so much fun! I really hope it lasts awhile.

• Elyse says:

I wasn’t gonna check out Reign but I’m so glad I did! I really like it :)

• Leila says:

Reign is just perfect. I hope that CW can see this too. I’m sick of supernatural shows, it’s time for another kind of show.

4. Boiler says:

So another night where Elementary more popular but Scandal gets the headlines…and nothing against Scandal

• Catelyn says:

Elementary edged out by a few extra viewers but Scandal won in the demo which is what matters. How do you not get this?

• Boiler says:

Yea I know this but as someone outside the demo that pays attention to ads I do care how popular a show is. Think ABC regrets Body of Proof right now???

• JLK says:

That’s exactly why advertisers don’t care about you. They know people outside of the demo watch a lot of TV live and see the ads (especially those who are 50+). They’ve got your attention. They want to know how they get the attention of people like me who are in the demo, have some disposable income, but are so gahtdang busy with school, work, kids, etc. that we’re not watching live TV very often. When and where will they find us? It’s not an easy thing to do. It’s incredibly rare when we’re able to sit down and enjoy something as it’s airing.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Unless you are the press release writer for CBS, “the mostest viewers” doesn’t mean much at all when it comes to procuring ad dollars. That said, I include the P2+ numbers because I, and others, do find them of some interest.

5. Karen says:

I am also loving Reign! I’m not bored at all during the episodes. Really hope it gets a full season. Please cw do not cancel.

6. Jerry says:

Yes it is unfair and ageist that way. But shows survive on advertisments, determined by their 18-49 watchers.

I have no doubt CBS would trade the less popular (in viewers) Scandal with Elementary in a heartbeat, no matter how CBS press releases try to justify.

• Boiler says:

And this is exactly why the system is stupid. With the aging population they aren’t hitting as many younger people anyway and with the economy they don’t have the money

• Paul says:

It’s not about how much (or how little) money the 18-49 have, it’s how susceptible they are to the advertisements. The older people may (or may not) have more money to spend, but they’re less likely to be influenced by ads.

At least that’s what the sponsors believe, based on their ‘research’.

7. Will says:

ouch for The Crazy Ones and The Michael J. Fox Show (lower than SSTW?!) they are two of my new favorite shows! I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the latter’s quality and TCO has grown so much on me – the cast just clicks together. Sadly TCO chances on CBS don’t seem too great to me, but TMJFS could eke out a renewal based on NBC’s continued decline.

• Zach says:

It’s one night. They’ll do better next week. If MJF was on at 9, it would have gotten better ratings. It does make me pissed when people knock it. Were they expecting more? Do they just get off on bashing NBC?

8. THE 50 AND OVER CLUB says:

It’s clear this reporter has no respect for anybody over 50. He needs a lesson in how to respect the elders!

9. Family Matters says:

The reason why family shows are not succeeding these days is because Nielsen does not care about the families!

10. Family Matters says:

The reason why family shows are not succeeding these days is because Nielsen does not care about families.!