The Carrie Diaries Season 2 Premiere Recap: Enter Samantha Jones!

Carrie Diaries Season 2 Premiere“Just a few more inches — that’s what I always hope for!”

With that double entendre — delivered as she attempts to wriggle her way onto and up a fire-escape ladder — the ribald, underwear-free Samantha Jones we all know and love puts her stamp on Season 2 of The Carrie Diaries.

RELATED | Carrie Diaries Season 2: Samantha’s Sexy POV, Carrie’s New Guy and Walt/Bennet’s ‘Conflict’

The introduction of Sam (an amusing Lindsey Gort, channeling Kim Cattrall in face, voice and attitude), cousin of Season 1 villainess Donna and a bouncer (er, “keeper of the cool”) at a NYC rock-n-roll bar, heralds the likely emergence of both “sex” and “the city” as more central themes in the life of Carrie Bradshaw, adorable high-school student by day and wide-eyed Interview magazine intern/big-city party-girl by, well, any time she can get out of Connecticut.

RELATED | Matt’s Inside Line: Scoop on NCIS, The Mentalist, Bones, Grey’s, Castle, Criminal Minds and More

And “Win Some, Lose Some” finds Carrie mainly in the Big Apple — thanks to her dad letting her stay in her traveling boss Larissa’s Manhattan apartment (along with Walt) for the summer. Let’s recap how Carrie‘s sophomore season kicked off:

PURSE OF INTEREST | Carrie and Walt agree to hang with former rival Donna for a night in the city, but to their shock, she brings along Sebastian — whom Carrie’s been avoiding since she discovered he’d kissed her best friend Maggie at the end of last season. And so Ms. Bradshaw abruptly changes course, heads to hotspot Arena on her own but gets her purse stolen while she’s distracted trying to get past the bouncer. She wanders back to aforementioned rock-n-roll bar, only to find Sebastian, Walt and Donna have already left, but finds an ally in Samantha, who agrees to help her new pal break back into her apartment as long as she doesn’t do any more whining. The police catch them in flagrante breakinto, but Sam charms the bemused law enforcers into helping ‘em out. And there, in Larissa’s place, a friendship is forged. We learn Sam and her mother aren’t close, and that Sam — while she knows a lot about men — openly admits that she doesn’t specialize in love. By the end of the hour, she’s calling on Carrie to return the favor, crashing with the high-schooler for a few days after she quits her job and has to move out of her own boss’s pad. (Warning: That final scene of the very stylish Carrie and Samantha strolling down the street may cause major SATC flashbacks.)

MILLER TIME! | After several months of what I have to say is pretty poor parenting, Mr. Bradshaw discovers (via Carrie’s offhand remark) that Dorrit has a boyfriend (one with whom, unbeknownst to him, she’s been spending the night for a lot of her summer vacation). He demands to meet the guy, but while Dorrit freaks out, Miller strolls over to Casa Bradshaw, introduces himself to Tom and even enjoys dishing his shared musical interests with his girlfriend’s dad. Dorrit, naturally, freaks out when she stumbles across the pow-wow, but Miller makes a pretty good case that, now that the meeting has taken place, Mr. Bradshaw isn’t going to stop them from spending time alone together. “You need to stop being stubborn just to be stubborn.” A round of smooching ensues — which seems like a good time for me to admit that the idea of Dorrit having sex still makes me uncomfortable. Am I alone on this one, or do you get the same squeamish feeling, too?

4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS | Maggie takes a job at the country club where Sebastian and Donna are members, and Mouse — out of loyalty to Carrie — avoids the place and their “tart” of a former friend. Mouse, though, loves celebrating Independence Day at the club, and Carrie tells her she should take her boyfriend and go — she won’t mind. In a somewhat contrived story arc, Mouse attempts to ice out Maggie but winds up falling into the pool during an argument — leading to Maggie’s firing. But when Mouse learns Maggie took the job not to get close to Sebastian, but because her parents don’t plan to help her pay for college, her facade breaks and their friendship is revived. How this will play out when Maggie, Mouse, Carrie, Walt and Sebastian are all strolling the high-school corridors together, well, that remains to be seen.

BEST ZINGERS
“What?! I don’t do public transportation — and he drives a Porsche.” –Donna, making an excuse for bringing Sebastian to Carrie and Walt’s place

Tea-quila!” –Samantha, explaining the kind of “tea” that can be found in a Long Island Iced Tea

“Hell, I was wearing underwear today when I got to the bar — now I’m not…I really liked that underwear.” –Samantha, explaining to Carrie the fleeting nature of material possessions

What did you think of the Carrie Diaries Season 2 premiere? How did you like Lindsey Gort as Samantha? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Jack says:

Oh how I love Lindsey Gort as Sam Jones! I was smiling the whole time.

2. Jeremiah says:

Definitely still one of my favorites!

3. Ms Thing says:

I love the addition of Lindsey Gort to TCD. I can’t wait to see more of her and Anna Sophia’s scenes.

4. Hoyt says:

This show is DOA 2.0
    Cancel this already! (Cancel B&TB too).

5. Haven’t watched the episode yet, but I agree with you about Dorrit.

6. Cassandra says:

Dorrit’s childish behavior towards her father is proof enough that she’s is too immature to be sexually active. Barring my annoyance with her, I loved the premiere and the addition of Sam is better than I expected. So happy CW decided to renew this show, it’s one of my favorites out of all the network shows.

7. Kelly says:

While I am slightly squeamish about Dorrit having sex, it’s realistic. I like that about this show!

8. Kelly says:

And also, I love the new Sam!

9. Kimberly says:

Really love Lindsey Gort in the role of Samantha! She really looks and acts like a younger Samantha would! I hope to see a lot more of Lindsey in The Carrie Diaries in the future! She is a great addition!

10. Saabgirlatx says:

Soooo happy this show is finally back. Loved the episode, it really showed the characters evolving and I liked the adaptations from the Summer in the City book on how they meet. Also v. Pleased they got rid if that awful wig AnnaSophia wore last year. Liked that Carrie is sporting done current Topshop, even though its 1985!!!

11. Liam says:

That was a great episode! Really liking the 80’s Sam!

12. Jared says:

The Carrie Diaries is such a cute show. Love the cast and the addition of Samantha!

13. 80s says:

I love this show. It’s so charming.

14. Lisa Benwitz says:

I enjoy this show, but every time I watch it, I wind up sad because Carrie’s dad is so great, yet evidently they were estranged when she was an adult – she didn’t even invite him to her wedding!!! Maybe having a father and sister were mentioned and I just don’t remember the canon on Carrie’s family. Even though the sisters love each other, I can definitely see them becoming estranged as they grow older – but thinking that about the dad breaks my heart. Unless he died or something… which breaks my heart too! Or maybe I just take television waaaaaay too seriously and need to get a life!

• Amy says:

You obviously didn’t watch Sex and the City that closely. She once said that her father walked out on her when she was 3 to the man at Vogue. The Carrie Diaries is more of a reflection on the books whereas Sex and the City is more of an adaptation and they built their own background story rather than staying true to the books! Or they just don’t really do very good background research!

15. para says:

cancel thus show already…. who cares!

16. Amy says:

The actress who plays Samantha is good. That’s about it. Why are they writing Carrie like some Carrie/Charlotte hybrid??? And where’s the sex???

• Tamara says:

I literally thought the same thing today- AnnaSophia’s Carrie is more Charlotte than Carrie! Now SJP may have her fair share of hate, but she had so much character as Carrie- no offense to ASR (who is perfectly lovely), but her Carrie is a little dull by comparison- and by dull I don’t mean a prude, I just mean slightly wishy washy and very inconsistent (blaming the writing really). Some of her ‘perfect, family loving, loyal person’ traits don’t really match some of her actions in new york if I’m making any sense- again, no hate! One thing that’s sort of been nagging at me since this started is how unrealistic it is for a 16 year old, bright eyed innocent girl to be falling into places like Interview magazine and “the hottest clubs in NYC” which they can’t seem to stop reminding us of.

That being said, I do like the show and the young Samantha Jones is PERFECT! How amazing were her little facial expressions and inflections that totally felt like a young Kim Catrall!? I’m looking forward to this season mainly because of her!

• the girl says:

It’s REALLY bothering me how much alcohol these high school students seem to be drinking. How were they getting into clubs? As far as Carrie being more like Charlotte, she’s 16. Carrie has some life experiences to go through and she’ll evolve her perspectives on life and love and become the Carrie we know. I’m willing to watch that process take place; I don’t believe she’s going to be that woman right now at 16.

17. Nas says:

BEST SHOW EVER! Am i the only one SUPER sad that her purse was taken and that she’ll never get it back?! UGHHH bring the carrie purse back!

18. Amelia says:

Lindsey Gort was great!! Looking forward to the rest of Season 2 :) yay writers and actors (& everyone else)

19. Yvette says:

Mr Big is to be seen in this episode! He’s is getting out of a Limo in front of the club (where Carrie lost her purse) when Donna, Sebastian and Walt are looking for Carrie, at about 25:06! He flirts with Donna, then walks into the club. It very subtle but it’s really him, or at least a younger actor who really looks like him and it’s really meant to be Mr Big.