Ratings: S.H.I.E.L.D. Dips Again, Originals Down

Agents of SHIELD RatingsABC’s Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD this Tuesday drew 7.4 million total viewers and a 2.7 demo rating, per finals, down 6 percent and one tenth week-to-week and now off 42 percent from its boffo debut.

This marks a fourth consecutive week of declines for SHIELD, which already earned a full-season ride.

Continuing ABC’s night, The Goldbergs (5.2 mil/1.7) ticked up a tenth, while Trophy Wife (4.1 mil/1.2) dipped one tenth. At 10pm, a Shark Tank rerun (3.3 mil/1.1) fared better than last Tuesday’s Scandal repeat (2.6 mil/0.6).

RELATED | ABC May Exhume Body of Proof — But Which Cast Members Could Possibly Return?

Over on CBS, NCIS as usual scored the night’s largest audience (19 mil) while ticking down to a 3.0 rating. NCIS: LA (14.9 mil/2.5) dipped a tenth, while Person of Interest (13.2 mil/2.2) held steady.

RELATED | Michael Slezak’s The Voice Recap: Knockouts. Who’s There?

The Biggest Loser opened NBC’s night with 6.7 mil and a 2.0, down 7 and 13 percent from its premiere. The Voice rose a tenth from its week-ago demo (13.1 mil/4.1), but Chicago Fire (7.5 mil/2.1) shed some eyeballs and two tenths.

RELATED | Chicago Fire Bosses on Benny’s Power Play, ‘Opportunity’ for Casey/Dawson and Shay’s Spiral

Fox’s Dads (3.6 mil/1.4) and New Girl (3.8 mil/1.8) added a few viewers and were flat in the demo, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.8 mil/1.6) ticked up a tenth and Mindy Project (2.9 mil/1.3) dipped a tenth.

The CW’s The Originals (2.2 mil/0.9) fell two tenths, but Supernatural (2.3 mil/1.1) was up a tenth.

1. Kevin says:

Trophy Wife :(

• bar says:

I knowww. It needs to picked up. I love the dynamic between all the characters on the show. Hopefully it picks up soon.

• Jen says:

Agreed. I wish they would have paired this with Modern Family. More people should watch!

• Nicole says:

I wish people would give this show a chance. It has gotten better and last nights episode was really funny! It would be so much better paired with modern family!!!

• Luis says:

I think INSTANT MOM (with the same premise) is a much better show!! if you haven’t watch it, you should check it out!!

2. ChicagoDan says:

CF probably includes 1 minute of TV, which scored a 4.3 at 9:30, while CF at 10 was down to 2.3 and then 2.0 at 10:30. NBC has to be disappointed that it’s shedding 50% of demo and is basically same levels as last year.

3. bar says:

The only SHYELD I want to watch on TV is the beautiful Big Brother Canada alliance between Peter and Alex. Plus, I dislike most of Marvel except Spider-Man. Both Avengers and the SHIELD pilot bored me to death. I hope it tanks.

• Josh says:

What are you even talking about?

• Eurisko says:

Shield was awfyl this week. Asian guy who shoots fireballs? Is this Street Fighter. The scripts are so clunky. This EP was pretty much the pilot story. And why did Scorch flip from a normal guy to evil villan? Why didn’t May knock Scorch out when she injected him? Pretty much killing the dude. Why did they need hunky hacker guy to take over Shield computers to rout the fireball that was Scorch when two geniuse, Simmons and Fitz, are right there? I could go on and on…I love Marvel and Joss so i keep checking it out. But they need to get it together soon. Oh the burning the doctor down, that was cool.

• Eurisko says:

*Awful

• Alan says:

no its not street fighter, there is a character in the comics who is vietnamese and has the same powers.
          of course it followed the same path as the pilot, its about the same bad guys and it advanced their plot enough for a single episode in an ongoing story.
          extremis screws with peoples brains, we have seen that in iron man 3 and in the pilot of the show, and the guy already had problems with shield and the bad guys just screwed with his body, of course he would flip like that.
          he was going to explode anyway eventually and they had no way to stop him long enough to avert that so they decided to trigger it quicker to contain it.

• Eurisko says:

lol dude do you work for Marvel? I grew up on comics and saw Ironman 3. It still doesn’t make up for bad plot holes and redoing the pilots story. You can have the same bad guys but write original stuff. And yes, he was Ryu from Street Fighter. He’s throwing fireballs….Its called a joke Alan.

4. John 1138 says:

SHIELD had some development, enough to keep me watching.

5. Eric7740 says:

I think I’m officially done with SHIELD, I still have the last 2 weeks of episodes on my DVR, but I think I’m about to delete them. Unless someone can give a reason not to. Thanks!

• They had a pyrokinetic disintegrate someone with fire last night. Was pretty cool. Not literally.

• Joel says:

Here is a reason…2-3 episodes is not enough of an opportunity for a show. It took Fringe about 5-6 episodes to finally figure out what kind of show it was, and became one of my favorite shows on TV thereafter.

There has definitely been progress in SHIELD, definitely enough to give it another 4-5 episodes. If you don’t like it after about 10, I think you’ve given it a fair shake.

Hell, it took me 2+ seasons to finally give up on Once.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m hanging on by a thread with Shield. Not sure which way I want to go yet. IMR I’m still watching Once and I don’t know why. It’s terrible.

• Mikael says:

I completely agree about Fringe. It was good at first, but halfway through season 1 it started to get REALLY good. And that finale… Fringe quickly became my favorite show after that. I hope SHIELD goes in that direction. They really should have had at least 1 superhero on the team. That’s what people want to see. There are a number of established Marvel heroes who wouldn’t require too much FX. And maybe adding ACTUAL SHIELD agents wouldn’t hurt either. Where is Clay Quartermaine?

• Apples says:

That’s a fair amount of time to invest in “might get better”…I’m teetering on the edge of quitting watching myself. The cast are so wooden (Coulson and May apart) and the writing has been banal to say the least.

• Joel says:

I’m not sure if you mean fair as in reasonable, or as in substatial, haha. But either way, I think it can take shows some time to gain their footing. I think watching a handful of episodes and dismissing it isn’t quite fair. They are establishing an entirely new group of characters and dynamics.

But to each his/her own I guess. I tend to give these shows some time to figure themselves out.

• Apples says:

I meant substantial. Most of my favourite shows have hooked me by the pilot (Castle, The West Wing, Friday Night Lights etc) or I’ve been heard substantial word-of-mouth buzz to get past the first few eps till it gets better (Parks and Rec). If AoS is the latter type of show I’ll return to it, but I won’t keep watching it of hope.

• Eric7740 says:

Thank you Joel, I may hang on a little bit longer. I usually give new shows 3 episodes to hook me and after that, I usually know. True every one has their own taste, Once hooked me from episode 1 and I still love it!!! Thanks again!

• Alan says:

3 episodes just isnt enough to gage a network show because they are mandated to spin their wheels for the first 5 or so episodes basically reintroducing the cast each episode. its usually around episode 6-7 when things change and they are allowed to develop the show beyond the bare minimum.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

…and yet EP Jeph Loeb maintained to me, when asked point blank, that is NOT the case here. That what you’re seeing IS the show. http://tvline.com/2013/10/15/marvels-agents-of-shield-coulson-secret-rising-tide/

• Alan says:

sorry matt but jeph loeb is where im getting this info from, seems he doesnt keep track of what he said to one website while talking to another. just wish i could remember what site it was that he said it to.

• Alia says:

I know that’s what happened with Dollhouse. It improved dramatically at Episode 6, but by then, too many people had already quit watching.

I’m really enjoying SHIELD, especially now that we’re finally starting to get a little bit of character development. I’ll definitely stick with it.

• John 1138 says:

But Matt that could have been an effort to give people a head’s up they weren’t going to see a superheroes cartoon show. Something I’ve read them take pains to do numerous times. Not that the show won’t mature and gain texture but that it won’t morph into a PowerRanger suit…… so to speak. Which many could misinterpret from the title.

• Joel says:

Glad to hear it Eric. I hope they kick it up a notch in the coming weeks, and prove us right for sticking around. I’m hopeful.

Wish I could say the same about Once! I loved the first season, was so excited for season 2…and my interest waned throughout that whole season. I made it a couple eps into the current season, and I had to call it, haha.

• Esaul says:

The amount of episodes it takes differs with each person. The pilot generally draws the initial audience in. But if they can’t build off that…and the pilot was weak anyway. I typically give a show five episodes, then I decide to keep watching or quit. I haven’t made it to that mark with S.H.I.E.L.D. and I’m already considering quitting. It isn’t good. At all. It’s Joss Whedon’s worst project. I even liked Dollhouse better than S.H.I.E.L.D. The writing is stale. The characters for the most part are flat. It’s just…no. It needs a revamp.

• T says:

This week’s episode SHIELD was pretty good, I liked it a lot better than the previous episodes.

• Elyse says:

I had to give up on Shield. it can’t keep my attention and I barely know what happens in each episode. biggest disappointment of the fall season for sure!

• Jimpy says:

A few very random thoughts on SHIELD-First, let’s be honest, Joss Whedon’s TV shows have never been big winners in the ratings, thus far SHIELD is doing fantastic by his standards. Also, NCIS survived head to head to head with American Idol and Glee, for a while at the same time, I wonder what exactly prompted ABC to place SHIELD opposite Gibbs and company. I know what agents I’m watching “live” and it’s not Coulson and company.

Finally, and most importantly, a lesson from what is maybe my all time favorite show, Star Trek: Deep space 9. Although I love the show some of the early episodes can be painful to watch. It took a while for the writers and actors to find the characters and their relationships. The problem is in television you often aren’t given enough time. Whedon has a full season, if he can’t find his stride by mid season, then he has a problem.

6. B says:

I’m loving The Originals

• Mark says:

It’s been great, so far.

• Yanez says:

To be honest, “The Originals” put me to sleep last night. It made me miss “Supernatural.” I’m trying to hang in there but I’m thinking “Supernatural” needs a new lead in show. Maybe “the Tomorrow People.”

7. Zalina says:

NCIS is the best show on tv.. With or without Ziva, great cast and writers… More than 18 milion total viewers yesterday on season 11… Congrats

8. Aimee says:

Yay for Person of Interest! It was a great episode last night.

• Joel says:

Have not seen last nights yet, but I absolutely LOVE this show. One of the best things to watch on TV. The addition of Shaw and Root full time have really added something to an already fantastic show.

• Maria says:

It was terrific, once again. The little girl who guest-starred did a fantastic job.

• ninamags says:

It was a fantastic episode. Kind of disagree with the addition of the 2 women. Shaw is severely damaged and that Root is a frightening, insane person.

Shaw did more work than Reese. It’s never a good thing when there is less of Caviezel on my screen. It seemed he didn’t do anything. Is Jim working on a movie or something? It seems his screen time has been reduced. Me no like.

Carter is a total bad-a$$, oh my goodness, she was freaking AWESOME yesterday!!!

• Nicole says:

It is such a well written show…great action, dry humour and great story. I like the addition of shaw and root. Carter was amazing in last nights episode. My favourite tv show!!

• DreamRose311 says:

Seriously, I need to start seeing the numbers for this show go up even higher. SO GOOD

9. Giulia says:

Yes please someone cancel The Originals already

• Elyse says:

not gonna happen. it has great ratings by CW standards.

• wrstlgirl says:

This type of comment always bewilders me :-) If you don’t like it then just don’t watch it. Why do you have to wish it canceled and ruin it for those who do enjoy it. That’s just mean.

10. Drew says:

SHIELD is down 45% and still going. I’m not gloating about the failure of the series, but I do want to gloat a little to the people who got angry at me when I said that it would lose half of its viewers within a few weeks.

But yeah, the little gloaty dance might have been a little much.

• Joel says:

You sir, are a regular Nostradamus. I think it will be just fine, and will survive for a few seasons. There is my prediction. I will be sure to come back and tell you about it if I’m correct.

• Drew says:

Yeah, I doubt it will be cancelled this year, but I would be surprised if it goes beyond season 2. The network wants it to succeed, but they can’t throw this much money into the show for long if it doesn’t stabilize soon.

• Joel says:

I defintely don’t see it as a 10+ episode show, but with everything they have invested in it (and I’m sure we will be getting some movie character cameos before long)…. it’ll last a good 4-5 seasons. Maybe help them bridge into their Phase 3 plans.

• Larc says:

I think it was overly ambitious to schedule it against NCIS. In a different time slot, it might do a lot better. As it was, even NCIS: LA equaled SHIELD in demo last night and had more than double the viewers.

• John says:

My dog also predicted that SHIELD would lose half of its viewers within a few weeks. The hype around the first episode was abnormal, due to the popularity of the movie franchise. Anyone with half a brain knew the ratings would start to shrink a LOT after the first episode. But go ahead a gloat, there’s only about 7 million other people (plus my dog) that said the same exact thing as you.

• Drew says:

I’m not being a d-bag. I know it was common sense, but some people on this site got really b!tchy with me when I said it. So I will happily take the opportunity to remind them how silly it was to think it would maintain those ratings.

11. sarah says:

Chicago Fire may have dipped a bit BUT for an NBC show to post over 7 million is great! It is doing better on Tuesdays than in did Wednesdays last year. I love Parenthood but Chicago Fire is also doing way better than Parenthood did at the same day and time last year!
    I still need to know how long Chicago Fire is off for!

• wrstlgirl says:

Back in three weeks Sarah!! :-)

• HeatherC says:

They said last night that the show would be back with new episodes in three weeks (Nov. 12th). Last night’s show was fantastic! CF has been so solid this year and I keep hoping more people start watching but the ratings are driving me nuts. They’re all over the place! =P

• Cam says:

The promo after the show said the it will return in three weeks.

• Eric7740 says:

Mind you Sarah, Parenthood never had The Voice as a lead in either. Look at Revolution without The Voice as its lead-in this season. Just something to think about.

12. Apples says:

ABC is a having a horrific season with new dramas.

13. barbara says:

ncis not that great. ncisla was good glad they showcased nell. person of interest best of night. i was at one point wishing less shaw but she was good last nite and gave some insight why she acts the way she does. preview with root next week don’t care for her hope shaw will get rid of her at some point. carter was good too i new her partner was up to no good. liked when carter said “you work for me now”

• Jimpy says:

Re NCIS LA, the people in that company are luck Nell didn’t shoot at a lot more of them, maybe even Mr. I could kill you with my pen.

• Sue Richards says:

I agree completely about The Originals and Person of Interest.

It’s about time that Carter’s subplot is finally heading into collision with the world of Finch and Reese.

The actor who plays Niklaus is amazing. He brings so much intensity to his performance.

14. kchamley says:

The Originals is a really good show! With numbers like that they are guaranteed a renewal very soon.

• jerrired says:

Let’s hope. The Originals is way better than I expected it to be, and it keeps getting better. It’s actually better than The Vampire Diaries right now.

S.H.I.E.L.D hasn’t completely sold me yet, but I feel like it gets better with every episode. So I won’t give up on it.

• Joel says:

I prefer it to TVD at this point.

15. nateddog says:

Originals and Shield was down cause PLL was on

16. Bella says:

The Originals keeps holding against all its competitions. Changing nights/Up against The Voice on its first Tuesday and now held steady against the highly advertised PLL special

17. B says:

The Originals is greatbetterthan TVD

18. Esaul says:

It’s interesting to note the predictions were inaccurate toward NCIS and S.H.I.E.L.D. It also indicates that while NCIS has dipped, not all the viewers were there for Tiva (or even Ziva).

19. ninamags says:

I totally agree with some, The Originals keeps getting better and better. I enjoy it much more than TVD.

The NCIS episode was sort of bizarre. If they are trying to show that DiNozzo is upset or whatever, it really isn’t coming across as such.

I kind of thought Supernatural would dip in viewers some, given the focus of the episode :P Maybe the fact that Jared is live tweeting is a draw? I love him for the behind-the-scenes info.

20. auntiemm says:

I can’t get into SHIELD despite being a Marvel fan since, well, a long time. It reminds me of Terra Nova where I also expected more wow to balance character. So I went back to NCIS and am pleasantly surprised with its earlier seasons feel. I like the rotating agent filling Ziva’s slot and hope there isn’t a permanent replacement. The remaining three get to do more than their characters have been allowed in a long time.

21. Chad says:

I’m loving The Originals. I think we all know the ratings dropped because of the PLL special.

22. Jon says:

I finally caught up with all the episodes of Shield from my DVR and have taken it off my DVR schedule. Just didn’t grab me enough to keep me interested any more. Didn’t even record last night’s episode.

23. Matthew says:

Absolutely disgusted that NCIS continues to beat SHIELD. Maybe if people didn’t want to dislike it for what it was, they’d actually give it a chance. Let the characters develop, for crying out loud.

• Bran says:

Or maybe people just like NCIS more?

• Jeff says:

I wanted Shield to beat NCIS, but so far, the stories don’t really hold your interest. They’re probably on par with the dull crap that NCIS puts out, but it has the built-in old people audience who’ll watch Mark Harmon sleep and find it interesting. I hear CBS is thinking about doing an NCIS/Ironsides mash-up for when Harmon gets really old…

24. Jared says:

The Originals is definitely holding its own against competition and is just as good if not better than TVDs. Each episode keeps getting better and I personally love the New Orleans setting.
    As far as SHIELD goes ABC can’t be too happy with the double digit ratings declines week to week. This was supposed to be a HUGE show for the network and clearly it isn’t. The CWs Arrow is far superior and action packed.

25. barbara says:

tony said something about nobody says her name she chose to leave so why say her name time to move on doing good without her. glad magee gained some weight back looks alot better.

26. Angela says:

I loved the Goldbergs!! They are so spot on with the 80’s references. I really hope ABC keeps it around!!

27. black widow says:

Simmons and Fitz are almost always useless. Skye is not sympathetic. These three characters need to die ASAP.

28. Sue Richards says:

Except for Coulson and May, the rest of the cast are unappealing, unrelatable, or simply bland.

Heck, the woman ” in the flower dress” is more interesting.

29. While the show has a few problems to be sure, Skye’s definitely a big one on Shield for me. God bless Chloe Bennet she is trying, character’s too annoying. Stuck in a room with Skye and Gina from Brooklyn Nine-Nine with a gun that only has one bullet, I’d shoot myself. Still Skye’s storyline stupid ‘is she a mole’ storyline seems to be over so maybe now we can focus on stuff like what’s up with Coulson or what’s up with May, characters I actually am finding enjoyable enough.

Scorch was a goofy villain but I do like the nice points made about why heroes have admittedly cheesy names.

30. Patti says:

Urghh…damn you ABC/direcTV settle your dispute so i can watch the show

31. Nancy says:

I LOVE CHICAGO FIRE!! It is the only show I NEVER miss. Love the writing, love the pace, and love the characters, especially Casey, Severide, Herman, and the two beautiful ladies. I hope this show airs for years and years.

32. shamangrrl says:

I’m going to give it a few more episodes, but I’ve felt very let down by the quality of the scripts. They just aren’t that good. Also, there are two majorly miscast roles in my opinion, the biggest being Skye. I just don’t believe that she’s some hacker extraordinaire. Whenever she pulls out her phone, I don’t believe she could browse the internet on it without help, nevermind hack governments. The character is annoying, but the performance is distinctly lacking. Everyone (especially Coulson) goes on about how talented Skye is, but it’s all tell. The actress isn’t convincing me Skye could walk from one end of the room to the other if there are obstacles in the way, and that’s a major problem if the character is supposed to be a genius. Coulson and May are great, but may not be enough on their own. The scripts need to be much better and the dialog less klugey.

33. Eric says:

I don’t know. I almost feel like all the doom and gloom when it comes to the SHIELD ratings is being blown out of proportion. It has pretty stiff competition. I figured that it would open high. I think that as long as it stays above the 7 million viewer mark, it will be fine. I think people’s expectations were a little out of proportion. I think people thought that they were going to get like Avengers style action every week and that is not the case. I think each episode has gotten better. I thought last night’s was the best by far. I like the developments with Centipede and clearing up Skye’s motivation was great too.

Also, I think it’s interesting that someone pointed out that the show matched NCIS: LA in the demo and was higher than Person of Interest. I think people need to simmer down.

34. Britta Unfiltered says:

Shield has tremendous problems. I don’t even recognize it as a Joss Whedon show. It’s missing his spark. You can tell it’s had a lot of network interference and a lot of network notes applied to it. They put so much money into it they probably would never let Joss have complete creative control over the show. And they are putting way more emphasis into special effects than they are into their characters and stories. I’m surprised they jumped the gun on a full season order, but I guess ABC is desperate to have dramas to air right now. I think when spring rolls around they’ll realize the expense of such an effects-driven show will not be worth the kind of ratings they’re getting and the show will be canceled. Or, you know, they could just give Joss Whedon complete control over it and do whatever he wants, and it might actually end up being good.

35. Mikael says:

I heard that SHIELD is being tweaked once they learned about the full-season pickup and hearing fans’ complaints. Each episode seems to get better, it’s just a really slow burn. I wish the tone was more like Alias. I happy to finally see a scene take place at night. Every episode is just so bright.

As far as the Originals goes, I love it much more than TVD. One of the major reasons is that it’s not completely bogged down by an annoying love triangle. I do wonder how long they can make the “take back New Orleans” plot last though.

36. oncesux says:

And you guys are morons if you think Joss is as involved as you all think he is.

37. iamkessuki23tw says:

The way Buffy and Angel were and shield is, it does not feel like it’s Joss’s project, right now all his time is on the avengers sequel and phase 2 films.

Ps I love person of interest and Sarah and Amy both becoming regulars, smart move.

Also Mindy is amazing. Love that woman. Morgan cracks me up every week & Danny Castellano is a stud.

38. cowcowmeows says:

I really want to get into The Originals, considering how much I love Klaus and Elijah, but… something’s just not doing it for me. This is not because I want Klaus and Caroline to be together (even though I totally do), but Klaus just works better with her around. They play so well off of each other.

39. JimC says:

Shield needs a storyline. It’s that simple. The castastrophe of the week will kill this show….Marvel backing or not.

40. NewShadeOfBlue says:

Love the S.H.I.E.L.D. it gets better with each episode.