Ratings: Amazing Race, Good Wife Take Biggest Hits Opposite NFL/MLB/TWD Trifecta

Ratings The Good WIfeOn an evening when every program was down opposite NBC’s Sunday Night Football and Fox’s ALCS coverage, CBS’ The Amazing Race and The Good Wife sustained the biggest hits.

Both TAR (with 8.1 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating) and Good Wife (8.4 mil/1.2 while also battling the ever-mighty Walking Dead premiere) shed viewers while tumbling 25 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo.

RELATED | The Walking Dead Returns To a Record-Smashing 16.1 Million Viewers

The Mentalist‘s wedding episode, however, capped CBS’ night with an audience gain of 9 percent (drawing 9.4 mil) while slipping two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | The Mentalist EP Spills ‘Wedding in Red’ Secrets — Is [Spoiler] No Longer a Red John Suspect?

Over on ABC, Once Upon a Time (7.4 mil/2.3) dipped 7 and 12 percent, yet commanded the night’s best non-sports rating (with The Simpsons on the bench). Revenge followed with 6 mil/1.7 (down 12 percent and two tenths), while Betrayal dropped 23 and 18 percent, to 3 million viewers and a 0.9 rating.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: What Did You Think of the Mulan Twist?

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Jesus, Take the Wheel!

1. HeatherC says:

Just wondering….how did OUAT get the best non sports rating when their ratings are listed as being lower than TAR? Is TAR considered a sport now?! LOL ;)

2. Dee says:

So what were the numbers for the Cowboys game?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Oh, you know how live sports are. No real ratings until much later in the day. But based on prelims, looking like the best-rated primetime NFL game airing opppsite an MLB LCS game in 16 years.

3. Eric7740 says:

OUAT is back to it’s season 1 quality, IMHO, I have loved every episode so far this season!!! Matt is there anyway to know what OUAT’s ratings are factoring in DVR viewing?

4. Jrs says:

The Amazing Race seems really boring this season.

5. faby says:

ABC – Once Upon a Time
    Viewers: 7.36 million A18-49: 2.4/ 6

6. tp says:

Is anyone else watching Modern Dads? I know it’s scripted reality but it’s so cute. I just feel like I’m the only person watching it and don’t wanna get too attached if it’s going to be cancelled.

7. Hey, I did my bit. I don’t do sports or Zombies; so I stayed with ABC/CBS except for Drop Dead Diva.

8. Sparky says:

Do we think ABC will wait until this afternoon to cancel Betrayal or maybe tomorrow? I’d say this afternoon…..

• tp says:

I hope not. I really want to see who is holding her hand in the ambulance. The husband or the side piece. When a woman is the side piece she is the mistress, what is a man called?

9. TL says:

THE GOOD WIFE is must see. Really strong show right now creatively…I used to DVR it and watch it later, but I have to watch it live now.

10. Hurley says:

Just asking. Is it possible that The Good Wife will get cancelled with these numbers?

11. Wrstlgirl says:

I cannot believe how completely uninterested I’ve become with OUAT. I’ve started putting it on the DVR and ff through the ridiculous flashbacks and just watch the main story. So far it’s working.

12. Ava says:

Revenge is great this season! I’m disappointed in its’ ratings. It is one of the few shows I watch live.

• trainwreck says:

As ludicrous it is to watch a vengeful intelligent girl fawning over three men at once, I LOVE revenge too! and it’s really good this season so far! hope numbers rise and it would go on to live another season or two..

13. David says:

SAd to see Good Wife losing steam- Its getting really good with some good plot twists so far this season…last night was really good on all fronts

14. abz says:

The Good Wife is currently in it what is likely to be its best season yet and CBS is still treating it like crap. Constant delays due to sports and losing viewers to huge sports games. They need to move it to a different night. This is ridiculous.

15. Diane says:

I like Revenge this season, but I think last year’s problematic season really hurt it.

16. Che says:

Those numbers are getting me worried for The Good Wife. I really hope CBS remembers this is their best drama and that it needs a better treatment from them.

17. Chablis says:

AR is boring and now that footballers are gone even more so.

Loved TGW even if I DVR’d it and watched after my Red Sox have an epic comeback.

18. Ryan says:

What does ABC have to air in place of Betrayal…and possibly Wonderland?

19. Tommy says:

I’m getting concerned about Revenge. I’m loving this season and the ratings seem to be dropping from week to week. Hope this trend doesn’t continue or it may not see a 4th season :-(

20. Wrstlgirl says:

TV By The Numbers has a nice list of shows and their predictions for 2014. The Good Wife is predicted to be canceled. Revenge & Once are not. You should check it out.

21. Melissa Megehee says:

Love Betrayal. Hoping that it is given a chance.