Ratings: Amazing Race, Good Wife Take Biggest Hits Opposite NFL/MLB/TWD Trifecta

Get More: News, Ratings

Ratings The Good WIfeOn an evening when every program was down opposite NBC’s Sunday Night Football and Fox’s ALCS coverage, CBS’ The Amazing Race and The Good Wife sustained the biggest hits.

Both TAR (with 8.1 million total viewers and a 1.8 rating) and Good Wife (8.4 mil/1.2 while also battling the ever-mighty Walking Dead premiere) shed viewers while tumbling 25 percent in the coveted 18-49 demo.

RELATED | The Walking Dead Returns To a Record-Smashing 16.1 Million Viewers

The Mentalist‘s wedding episode, however, capped CBS’ night with an audience gain of 9 percent (drawing 9.4 mil) while slipping two tenths in the demo.

RELATED | The Mentalist EP Spills ‘Wedding in Red’ Secrets — Is [Spoiler] No Longer a Red John Suspect?

Over on ABC, Once Upon a Time (7.4 mil/2.3) dipped 7 and 12 percent, yet commanded the night’s best non-sports rating (with The Simpsons on the bench). Revenge followed with 6 mil/1.7 (down 12 percent and two tenths), while Betrayal dropped 23 and 18 percent, to 3 million viewers and a 0.9 rating.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Recap: What Did You Think of the Mulan Twist?

RELATED | Revenge Recap: Jesus, Take the Wheel!

Comments (37)

• Just wondering….how did OUAT get the best non sports rating when their ratings are listed as being lower than TAR? Is TAR considered a sport now?! LOL ;)

Comment by HeatherC – October 14, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Brief typo. ONCE 2.3 > TAR 1.8.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 14, 2013 09:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ahhh, thanks Matt! I thought I was missing something there. =)

Comment by HeatherC – October 14, 2013 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably because of the dreaded demo ratring

Comment by Boiler – October 14, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OUAT beat TAR in the coveted demo that is seemingly way more important than total viewers. Also the best scripted show ratings of the night.

Comment by Jen – October 14, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So what were the numbers for the Cowboys game?

Comment by Dee – October 14, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, you know how live sports are. No real ratings until much later in the day. But based on prelims, looking like the best-rated primetime NFL game airing opppsite an MLB LCS game in 16 years.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 14, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Woohoo!!!!

Gotta love them ‘Boys. They always do bring the ratings, don’t they?

Thanks, Matt. :)

Comment by ninamags – October 14, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OUAT is back to it’s season 1 quality, IMHO, I have loved every episode so far this season!!! Matt is there anyway to know what OUAT’s ratings are factoring in DVR viewing?

Comment by Eric7740 – October 14, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Live+7 DVR playback data for Premiere Week just came in. ONCE went from 8.5 mil/2.6 to 11.1 mil/3.8 (+30% / +45%). But keep in mind, advertisers do not care one lick about Live+7: http://tvline.com/2012/10/18/fall-tv-2012-dvr-ratings-increases/

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 14, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But is it something that network exec’s look at when deciding to renew or cancel a series? Just wondering. Thanks!

Comment by Eric7740 – October 14, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sorry, it’s all explained in last year’s exhaustive story.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 14, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • No, the networks don’t look at those either. They love putting out press releases praising it, but when they decide whether to renew/cancel, they look at what the advertisers look at, the same day 18-49.

Comment by Robert – October 14, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Amazing Race seems really boring this season.

Comment by Jrs – October 14, 2013 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC – Once Upon a Time
    Viewers: 7.36 million A18-49: 2.4/ 6

Comment by faby – October 14, 2013 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yet ABC’s own press release says 2.3. Mysterious!

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – October 14, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is anyone else watching Modern Dads? I know it’s scripted reality but it’s so cute. I just feel like I’m the only person watching it and don’t wanna get too attached if it’s going to be cancelled.

Comment by tp – October 14, 2013 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, I did my bit. I don’t do sports or Zombies; so I stayed with ABC/CBS except for Drop Dead Diva.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli (@AnnaPaolinelli1) – October 14, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we think ABC will wait until this afternoon to cancel Betrayal or maybe tomorrow? I’d say this afternoon…..

Comment by Sparky – October 14, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope not. I really want to see who is holding her hand in the ambulance. The husband or the side piece. When a woman is the side piece she is the mistress, what is a man called?

Comment by tp – October 14, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE GOOD WIFE is must see. Really strong show right now creatively…I used to DVR it and watch it later, but I have to watch it live now.

Comment by TL – October 14, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just asking. Is it possible that The Good Wife will get cancelled with these numbers?

Comment by Hurley – October 14, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good wife Damn good show

move it to an other night

Comment by oldgeezer – October 14, 2013 09:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot believe how completely uninterested I’ve become with OUAT. I’ve started putting it on the DVR and ff through the ridiculous flashbacks and just watch the main story. So far it’s working.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – October 14, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Revenge is great this season! I’m disappointed in its’ ratings. It is one of the few shows I watch live.

Comment by Ava – October 14, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As ludicrous it is to watch a vengeful intelligent girl fawning over three men at once, I LOVE revenge too! and it’s really good this season so far! hope numbers rise and it would go on to live another season or two..

Comment by trainwreck – October 14, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAd to see Good Wife losing steam- Its getting really good with some good plot twists so far this season…last night was really good on all fronts

Comment by David – October 14, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Good Wife is currently in it what is likely to be its best season yet and CBS is still treating it like crap. Constant delays due to sports and losing viewers to huge sports games. They need to move it to a different night. This is ridiculous.

Comment by abz – October 14, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Revenge this season, but I think last year’s problematic season really hurt it.

Comment by Diane – October 14, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Those numbers are getting me worried for The Good Wife. I really hope CBS remembers this is their best drama and that it needs a better treatment from them.

Comment by Che – October 14, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AR is boring and now that footballers are gone even more so.

Loved TGW even if I DVR’d it and watched after my Red Sox have an epic comeback.

Comment by Chablis – October 14, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What does ABC have to air in place of Betrayal…and possibly Wonderland?

Comment by Ryan – October 14, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m getting concerned about Revenge. I’m loving this season and the ratings seem to be dropping from week to week. Hope this trend doesn’t continue or it may not see a 4th season :-(

Comment by Tommy – October 14, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TV By The Numbers has a nice list of shows and their predictions for 2014. The Good Wife is predicted to be canceled. Revenge & Once are not. You should check it out.

Comment by Wrstlgirl – October 14, 2013 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Betrayal. Hoping that it is given a chance.

Comment by Melissa Megehee – October 19, 2013 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post