Ominous Walking Dead Spoiler: Andrew Lincoln Warns of 'Painful' Midseason Finale

The Walking Dead Season 4The Walking Dead‘s much-anticipated fourth season bows this Sunday (9/8c, AMC), but you should go ahead and start worrying about the episode slated to air on Dec. 1.

According to leading man Andrew Lincoln, that particular installment — the midseason finale, as it were — will be a grueling experience on par with some of the show’s most taxing hours.

Below, Lincoln teases that fateful outing, while also shedding new light on the seven episodes leading up to the big 2013 cliffhanger.

TVLINE | Rick seems to be in a much better place in premiere? I can’t imagine that lasts…
Rest assured, it really doesn’t last much longer than the first episode. It’s not The Waltons. [Laughs] We’re very good at smashing things and breaking things and everything falling apart very, very quickly. That is, in fact, what happens. My wife came home from watching the first episode and said, ‘Rick smiled! And laughed!’ She was so pleased, she went, ‘Thank f—k!’ [Laughs] It’s been so long coming. The writers do a beautiful job at creating the beginnings of civilization and the potential for these people. You do feel they’re beginning this civilization – and it’s working. Rick has put all of his energy into growing things.

TVLINE | Seriously, who knew that the ex-cop was such a good farmer?
[Laughs] We even have some little piggies… You wait until Episode 2. It’s crazy.

RELATED | AMC Orders Walking Dead Spin-Off — Get Scoop on the Premise

TVLINE | Have you had to shoot any scenes that rival Rick’s breakdown over Lori’s death?
There’s been one scene that was pretty painful to do — it’s always the midseason finale! [Laughs] It was all going so well for me this year, I was farming and just kicking back – I thought it was going to be a really relaxed season for me – and then they just go, ‘Bam!’ [Makes crashing noise].

TVLINE | Let’s talk about Carl and Rick’s relationship this season…
Most of the story arc for Rick is driven by children, by Carl and Judith. [The] central theme throughout this whole season is his responsibilities as a father pulled against his responsibilities as a good leader of the group – in spite of the new setup and regimen. It’s the central thrust of this season: the boy becoming a man and the father accepting it. You meet them in a much happier place, and Rick’s become present in Carl’s life. He’s a hard father, but he’s a fair and loving father. What happens this season – as all parents undergo – is you have to start to listen to your children because they can educate you at times.

RELATED | Rick and Michonne Romance — The Walking Dead Season 4

TVLINE | Lauren Cohan tells us that the scariest stuff this year comes at the hands of group members doing things for the greater good. Agree?
We’ve become this incredibly tight-knit band of misfits, this family, which I love… We look out for each other. But the problem is, when a threat appears, what are you willing to do in order to prevent it? One of the characters certainly does something that I think is playing God. He or she plays God, for all intents and purposes.

TVLINE | Where do you think fans’ desire for Michonne and Rick to become an item comes from?
I don’t know! Where do you think it’s coming from? [Laughs] I suppose maybe it was the scene in [last season’s] Episode 12, “Clear,” where you saw that there was chemistry and camaraderie between those two people. He makes a couple of jokes in there with her and there’s a lightness that possibly the fans haven’t seen before, and they want to see that again… So, maybe that’s where it stems from? I do think it’d be nice for Rick to find someone, don’t get me wrong! [Laughs] Maybe not just yet…? I think Sarah Wayne Callies will kick my ass! There will be a phone call [from her]: ‘What’s going on?!’ A voice from the grave… [Laughs]

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Premieres, Previews

1. Mel says:

2 days! Woot! Woot!

2. I Heart Damon Salvatore says:

I don’t care who dies — just don’t be Daryl.

3. Labpar says:

He is the only reason to watch the show. love his interviews always witty and articulate.

4. James D says:

Oh man. if they kill off Glenn or Daryl I will be supremely pissed off. I wonder if it will be Judith. anyway i can’t wait till Sunday :)

5. wrstlgirl says:

Losing any of the main group will be heartbreaking. I love all these guys. I did notice Rick’s little smile in one of the promos and was like, wait, did Rick just smile. I can’t remember the last time we saw that. Is it Sunday yet????

6. Yunuem says:

Maggie is soooooo dead

7. dave says:

best show ever

8. Britta Unfiltered says:

“‘Painful’ midseason finale”? Compared to the happiness and joy the season usually gives us? :)

9. Kristin says:

I can’t wait! I’m so excited!
    I just know that one of the main cast is toast though. Maybe Carol or Maggie?

10. Tad says:

In the comics Rick looses it and in fear kills Judith, if this happens I am done.

11. Wrstlgirl says:

Everytime I see a comment that begins with “in the comics” I just wanna throw cotton balls in your mouth. It’s inevitably a spoiler for upcoming events and disrespectful to others.

• Liz says:

While I agree that people shouldn’t talk about the comics in articles about the show without serious spoiler warnings, the show doesn’t stick to the comics 100%. There are characters who are still alive in the comics who have died on the show and vice versa. And there are storylines in the show that never happened in the comics.

• Wrstlgirl says:

I’ve read the comics and out of respect for others I don’t bring up anything that hasn’t appeared on the show because it still could at some point and I wouldn’t want to ruin the surprise.

• Quantumnerd says:

They said they are really far off from the comics now and they aren’t really following the comic anymore.

12. kenny wilson says:

I hope hershal doesn’t die because he’s been so caring to the others and he is also a doctor so if he dies then the whole place falls apart

13. Deion says:

OK. But remember. If Darryl dies, we riot.

14. Sharon says:

if daryl dies, they will loose roughly a third of their fan base

15. Tanya Louth says:

I for one can not wait to see what plays out between Rick and Michonne . Love to see the glime and happiness returne to Rick . Rick , Dyral , And Michonne are by far my favorite .

16. linda says:

Daryl has grown into such an interesting character. He was cool before but now he’s cool and just solid, with just enough a#@hole left in him to keep me satisfied. He’s become my favorite survivor. Everyone’s great…. but there’s just something about Daryl. He’s AWESOME!

17. Susie says:

Anything could happen…nobody is safe…just please don’t let it be Rick, or Daryl!

18. johnk kud says:

So its considered OK to interview world-famous professionals on camera in a star wars T shirt and blazer???

19. christian K says:

They won’t ever kill of rick the episodes are all about Rick Grimes and his family surviving in a zombie apocalypse and the people on the way. And I’m also sure Daryl is safen I mean the Robert K isn’t stupid and most definently won’t want to lose a major percentage of his fan base by killing of main characters. Don’t worry fans Darly and Rick and Carl are most definently safe this season!!!!b

20. Ann says:

If Daryl dies I’m going to destroy zombies on my computer and destroy terminus and kick a random guy in the nuts and curse everybody and throw the books and cry while hitting a wall.

21. Crazkids1234 says:

(shaking, sweating.)Freak about the ,”Walking Dead!” I’m hopping they all live. KILL THE BAD GUYS! Okay, I’m a little over rated but, that’s the point. Today is a value- able day…. so; FREAK!!! The season ends tomorrow! Shouldn’t that be enough? So, freak out. We all learn that way. Is it me or I’m I missing points. I guess hanging in there is kinda freaking fun…and stress if you know what I mean? Right? Right. Well, can’t wait. See, ya crazed fans. Walking Dead…. yaaah!