Lisa Edelstein Talks Castle Making Nice With McCord (and Her Unimaginable House Exit)

Castle Season 6 SpoilersMcCastle, anyone?

Although Castle‘s titular novelist and his fiancée Kate’s D.C. partner didn’t get off on the best foot in the ABC drama’s Season 6 premiere, looming death has a way of changing things. Lisa Edelstein spoke with TVLine about her three-episode arc and how scene partner Stana Katic impressed her, as well as reflected on Dr. Cuddy’s unplanned House exit.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Castle and 44 Other Returning Faves

TVLINE | Were you familiar at all with Castle going in?
I’d heard about it but I hadn’t watched it, so I watched a bunch of episodes when they called me. My mother’s a big fan, so I did it for my mother. [Laughs]

TVLINE | I saw the photos that you and Stana tweeted from the set. The two of you became fast friends.
She’s great. I really didn’t want to do an arc on a show without really investing as much as I could in it, or else it’s not worth it. You know what I mean? So I walked onto that show with a lot of ideas, really wanting to create a real character and a real world, and Stana was psyched, which was just great.

TVLINE | Yeah — she said the same thing to me about you.
That’s so nice. So nice. I really enjoyed working with her. Look, I was on her show, so it could go many different directions when you’re that particular. Especially since it was the first episode back and the whole crew was starting anew, and there I was jumping in side-by-side with her. I was really happy she was so gracious.

RELATED | Castle Season 6 Spoilers — Beckett Returns to New York City

TVLINE | McCord thus far has been a little exasperated with Mr. Castle. Is that going to change at all now that he’s, you know, on death’s doorstep, having been exposed to a chemical weapon?
Yeah, looming death, impending doom, it sort of changes the dynamic of things, and I think McCord allows for some leeway in terms of Castle’s participation [in the Valkyrie investigation]. Because how could you really say no to someone trying to stop themselves from dying?

TVLINE | Plus, he’s now like a piece of evidence.
And he’s a living, breathing piece of evidence — at least for another 24 hours!

TVLINE | Will this lead to any bonding between McCord and Beckett? I can imagine that Beckett might need someone to talk to about what she’s going through.
Yes — although neither one of these women are gabbers. And that’s what they like about each other. There is not a lot of requirement for warm, cushy conversation. They sort of both cut to the chase.

TVLINE | What about working with Nathan Fillion — how did you find him to be?
Hilarious. Just a good-natured fellow.

TVLINE | So it was kind of tough coming down hard on his character when you had to?
No, he can take it!

RELATED | Castle Creator Previews ‘Fun’ New Obstacles — Plus: Is a Wedding Coming?

TVLINE | Did you experience any déjà vu there on Castle – you know, a Monday night drama HLaurie_LEdelstein_300featuring a “Will they, wont they” couple that finally got together?
Right. Yes. It is a little bit like “something” [Laughs], but I can’t remember what…. It’s been so long.

TVLINE | Well, speaking of House: Before you ever got wind of the way things were going to go, did you ever think that, when that series finale ever rolled around, it would be “happily ever after” for Cuddy and House?
Never. I always thought they would get together at some point — and I thought they probably should have pushed it a little sooner. I think they dragged it on for too long. But I never thought it would work.

TVLINE | And the way that it ended up totally not working, with him driving his car into her dining room — was that something you ever imagined?
I don’t think it was something anybody imagined. It was not the intention of the showrunner [for that to be Cuddy’s final appearance]. Maybe they should have rethought that a little, but that’s all right. It’ll live on in our imaginations.

RELATED | House Boss Answers Burning Finale Qs, Addresses Cuddy, Foreman, Kutner Mysteries

TVLINE | Anything else you would like to say about your time on Castle?
I’m really happy I did it. I don’t know how many more times I could say, “Stop! Federal Agent! Drop your weapon!” in my life, but I did enjoy it.

TVLINE | And the door’s open for you to come back at some point, if needed?
Yes, they’ve always made that clear it’s just really a question of availability — and now I’m doing this new project [headlining Bravo’s The Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce pilot, from Buffy scribe Marti Noxon], which I’m so excited about.

TVLINE | Yes, that seems like a really good fit for you. Marti’s terrific.
It’s a really fun project. And it’s so smart. It’s so much the modern problem of dealing with life after divorce, and its funny and its dark and its sassy. Marti’s a great writer, so I’m thrilled.

1. Erin says:

I love her. And i’m loving Beckett and McCord’s chemistry a lot. Am I the only one who ships them a little?

2. PEL says:

“Sorry, advertising is not loaded, because something goes wrong…”
    Don’t be sorry, that’s quite alright by my book ;)

Interesting interview. I like the idea of McCord coming back if possible. I also like that she is honest with House and what she really think about it. Too many actors, even afters years, always say only good things about their show, when you know they can’t have like everything moreso when they were in this show for 6 or 7 years. That kind of honesty is refreshing. And she’s classy because she doesn’t bash it either.

3. Maria says:

Many guest stars on Castle have commented on what a nice environment it is, and on how gracious Nathan, Stana, and the entire cast/crew are. I’m so proud to be a fan of this show, and of its actors. I thought Lisa did a great job in the premiere, and I’m looking forward to seeing how her arc plays out. Thanks for the interview, Matt. You give such great coverage to Castle…always. (see how I did that??)

4. Intrigued says:

I have watched Castle for the first time last Monday and likely won’t be tuning in again, it’s just not my type of a show. Nevertheless, Stana and Lisa were “playing the same air”, and it’s always fun to watch how good interpersonal energy fills up the voids left by condensed dialogs.

5. Babygate says:

I loved the Beckett/McCord interactions. They have great chemistry and would not be opposed to seeing the entire show moved to DC and having McCord as a regular.

6. Disappointed says:

Lisa, I’ve always been a huge fan of yours, and I know that you were treated awfully during this whole House mess, but I really think it’s time to for you to make peace with everyone involved. In recent interviews the lingering animosity between you and Hugh Laurie has become so palpable. I just think it’s a shame that it’s come to this for two people who so obviously were good friends once, especially as this whole mess came about, partially at least, because a few over zealous ‘fans’ had little regard for a people’s privacy. All in all it just makes me incredibly sad.

• Disappointed in Disappointed says:

WHAT lingering animosity? Every single interview I’ve seen (or read) with her, she practically publically begs for the opportunity to hit her knees and blow Hugh Laurie, and for free! Her “admiration” for him has always been loud and clear, and most definitely inappropriate. She didn’t leave the show because of “animosity” towards him, she left because her contract re-negotiation fell through; that is, if Hollywood lore is to be believed.

• Disappointed says:

The opposite of what you said is actually closer to the truth, but that’s beside the point. Two people who used to really get on now don’t.

• D says:

How on Earth would you know that? They’re actors who were paired together on a TV show; not conjoined twins. Laurie has a wife and children on the other side of the world, and is making music and touring. Edelstein has her own show coming up and is doing tons of guest spots. Is it so impossible to conceive that all party members are busy? And even if they weren’t, why would the other person come up in an interview about them, unless specifically prompted?

• Disappointed says:

Well let’s put it this way, certain parts of the media got prosecuted for taking similar steps as these ‘fans’. They took obsession to the next level. The information is out there if people know where to look. It’s horrible.

• Annoyed says:

Oh, please stop projecting your fangirl wet dreams on others. It was a big part of her job to turn her clinically insecure, self-deprecating and anxious co-star into a sex symbol. And considering your hysterical wailing on Friday night, she did that job mighty well, whether or not you, desperate Hugh groupies, realize it.

• Tracy Murray says:

Yes, agreed, I am positive she is still on good terms with Hugh Laurie, as a friend and colleague only, and this whole mess is to be blamed on Comcast NBC Universal and/or Fox, too bad there are people who like to think otherwise.

• Disappointed says:

Sadly recent interviews indicate there is a rift, which is a shame for two people who genuinely were close friends once.

• Interested says:

I’ve heard rumors about these ‘over zealous fans’ before, and I dismissed it because what they were were supposed to have done was so foul that I didn’t think anybody who supposedly liked these actors would be capable of such a thing. If that really is one of the reasons that things ended so badly over at House then they should be ashamed of themselves. They contributed to the whole fandom imploding in on itself, as well as creating fractures between people on-set.

• maggie says:

I have no idea what these “fans” were supposed to have done. But I can’t imagine anything that fans could have done that would have impacted contract negotiations between “House” and Ms. Edelstein. I never got the impression that Ms. Edelstein had any problem with Hugh Laurie, but rather with the producers of “House.”

• Vero says:

I think „Interested“ is talking about the so called HuLi-shippers. (HuLi = Hugh/Lisa) These are people who would love nothing more then Hugh Laurie cheating on his wife and leaving his family to start an affair with Lisa Edelstein. I detest the Huli’s because they have zero respect towards Hugh Laurie and his family.
          I hold Lisa Edelstein and her inappropriate comments she has said regarding Hugh Laurie over the years in various Interviews for joint responsible that the HuLi shipper community exists. IMO, she really did make a fool of herself with the way she displayed her massive crush on HL in the past. Sorry Lisa Edelstein, but if you don’t want that people like me get such a negative opinion of you, then you should have paid more attention about what you said in your interviews! With inappropriate comments I mean the ones she said about the Thunder Roadtrip beach photos and regarding “American Wife”, for example. What I still find highly interesting is that after LE compared herself to HL’s American Wife, the joint interviews and public appearances with them stopped almost completely.
          Someone made a gif photo set on tumblr with some of the IMO inappropriate comments. Search for “#huli on tumblr” and “lisa-edelstein-about-hugh-laurie” in the Google search function! Or what she said in the “House – Lisa Edelstein – Huddy Hallucination” interview on You Tube and so on.
          BTW, I completely agree with the “Comment by Disappointed in Disappointed – September 27, 2013 09:52 PM PDT “!

• Check your Quotes says:

Oh the wonderful “American Wife” quote again! The one where she actually said something along the lines of people think I’m Hugh’s American wife, but I actually just go in, do my lines and then go home. But go on! You keep paraphrasing to the max. It must be difficult for you to remember more than two words at once! We could also mention Mr Laurie’s ‘openness’ to workshop a threesome between his, Lisa’s and JMo’s character. Hardly appropriate for a ‘happily’ married man, is it? At least by your own warped standards. Just grow up and get over the fact that they were good friends, who had great chemistry on-screen and off.

• Disappointed says:

It’s ridiculous the whole thing is descending into petty fights again. This just proves my point about certain fans going too far.

• Code Red says:

Whoa. Dear Vero, are you serious? All those google researches, fanfic probes, tumblr links, youtube interviews and comparative timeframes? Really? Do you realize that the only obsessed person here is YOU? Classical groupie behavior – “if I can’t have him, nobody should, and I shall appoint myself his guardian and attack anyone whom I perceive as a threat”. Get help, you poor delusional thing. It’s not even funny.

• Corey says:

How incredibly dense of some fans to leave comments about Laurie and Edelstein’s so called off camera relationship years later when both have moved on and are busy elsewhere. There’s water under the bridge now. Whatever was (friendship or else) isn’t anymore and the show House is done and over. It was part of both their jobs to sell whatever was going on on screen. Lisa has always been an outspoken and playful free-spirit which was always enjoyed by the reserved Hugh. And for the record, Hugh is doing his music and things while Lisa is steadily working and about to hop on her next big project while being very happy in her personal life. This argument is therefore irrelevant now despite the remaining crazy fans. These actors can handle themselves.

• Melly says:

Please go and google “Stana Katic and Nathan Fillion”, then google “Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny” and then go and google the word “promotion”.
            Promoting is necessary and a HUGE part of the job of on actor. Especially in series promoting a couple is essential and promoting is exactly what Mrs Edelstein did. Nothing more, nothing less. What she did was her job and she did it pretty well. PERIOD.

• Erin says:

I’ve got two words for you Vero: “Silky gorgeousness”.

7. JBC says:

I think there is the making of another show that could stem from McCord and her team in DC. Good episode.

8. Bridget says:

The chemistry between McCord, Beckett, and Castle was instant. Watching her on the show this week, it was like Lisa Edelstein had been part of the show from the start. She just fit right in. No slight intended to Penny Johnson Jerald, but Capt Gates seems to be a character the writers have no clue how to fully utilize. I wouldn’t miss Gates if she were gone if it meant McCord and Beckett working together more, but I know that’s not in the cards…

9. LL624 says:

I really hope this is the last Lisa Edelstein interview we get for Castle. She’s just a guest! Get to the real stars! I would have much rather read the Stana interview we were supposed to get today.

10. Rich Abey says:

Enjoyed her character on ‘Castle’ a lot despite the dislike between her & Castle, especially after she acts like a strict mother towards Kate (because all she wants is to improve Kate’s ability in taking down criminals). Still she has valid reasons for disliking Castle: I mean the man was looking into classified info & making his own investigation into a classified Federal case! This is totally different from Gates’ dislike of Castle, which feels more personal & unjustified. Its in Gate’s nature & job to find fault with people.

Hopefully the showrunners find a way to bring Lisa back in the future!

11. Erin says:

Her character has nothing out of ordinary to me, don’t understand the fuss about it.

12. John says:

Fun character very well played. Reappearances would be welcome!

13. Ana says:

IF she practically wrote her character, same as Stana, what does Marlowe do in there?

• Beckstle says:

Writers are architects, Actors are builders, They create the back story of characters. A script may say, “a tough, no-nonsense agent who appreciated talent.” Why the agent’s like that, how that colors the reactions, what motivates them – that’s all on the actor. They may get the opportunity to talk about their ideas with the writers, (which is what it sounds like Castle makes time for) but often they don’t. Actors don’t just memorize lines – they create the character’s life – especially if they’re strongly “method” actors. At one of the Paley events Stana was asked what Beckett’s favorite color was and favorite milkshake – she didn’t even have to think – she knew. Those kind of things don’t come from the writer.

14. John says:

Hey matt!, in your interview with Stana do you asked her when Beckett will be a loser?

15. Linderella says:

I love Lisa but I will be glad to see Beckett return to NYC. Looking forward to seeing the new show. It sounds great!

16. Zoe says:

I freakin’ love Lisa Edelstein, and I’m glad she’s getting work. She’s also been the voice of Kya on Legend of Korra lately, which is great. …And that’s all I have to say about that.

17. Marie Wilkerson says:

Like the chemistry between Stana and Lisa Edelstein. Rooting for a return to NY for Stana and her gang there though. Loved the scene where Kate sees Rick go by in the golf cart! My favorite people back in 12th precint NY will hopefully go back to solving crime, making Gates happy.

18. Paige says:

Although I like Lisa Edelstein, and loved Cuddy, I really don’t like her character on Castle. I cannot wait for her to be gone and hope the character never comes back.

19. pfoggy says:

Sounds like she wasn’t overly thrilled with the role, grabbed the big paycheck and ran. Which is OK. One thing the premiere proved was that castle and beckett apart aren’t remotely as interesting as castle and beckett together. Not in the romantic sense, but just in terms of character and storyline. And the whole opening with Beckett in the traning drill complete with Hollywood blood squibs where she pretends to fall down and die? That was just embarassingly bad writing.