Ratings: Mighty S.H.I.E.L.D. Is TV's Best Drama Debut in 4 Years, Chicago Fire Sizzles in New Slot

Ratings Marvel's Agents of SHIELDOne of this fall TV season’s most burning questions — “How will Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. premiere?” — has been answered.

POLL | Is S.H.I.E.L.D. the Hero Series That TV Deserves, Or the One It Needs Right Now?

ABC’s follow-up to the Marvel movies by way of Joss Whedon on Tuesday night opened to (updated) 12.1 million total viewers while scoring a 4.7 rating in the coveted 18-49 demo, per finals — aka this fall’s highest-rated drama debut to date, if not the most watched. It also stands as all of TV’s best drama launch in four years (since ABC’s own V).

In the demo, S.H.I.E.L.D. trounced NBC’s The Blacklist (12.6 mil/3.8), Fox’s Sleepy Hollow (10.1 mil/3.5) and CBS’ Hostages (7.4 mil/1.8).

For comparison’s sake, the first half of Dancing With the Stars‘ results show a year ago did 10.1 mil/1.7 for ABC in the 8 o’clock hour, while the Alphabet net’s last Tuesdays-at-8 drama debut (No Ordinary Family) drew 10.7 mil and a 3.2.

ABC’s strongest previous drama launch was Once Upon a Time‘s 13 mil/4.0 circa 2011.

Facing off against SHIELD, CBS’ NCIS returned to 20 mil (its third-most watched opener ever) and a 3.6 (updated per finals), down 2 and 12 percent from its previous premiere but up from its Season 10 finale (18.8 ml/3.4).

RELATED | NCIS Premiere Recap: The Long, Ziva-Less Goodbye

ABC | Continuing ABC’s all-new Tuesday, The Goldbergs (9.1 mil/3.2) showed 76 and 70 percent retention out of SHIELD. Trophy Wife then debuted to 6.6 mil/2.3, and (un)Lucky 7 brought up the rear with 4.6 mil/1.3 (versus the last premieres of Private Practice [6.5 mil/1.9] and Body of Proof [6.8 mil/1.2]).

POLLS | Did The Goldbergs Make You Kvell? Is Trophy Wife a Prize?

FOX | Fox’s comedies took the biggest hit with SHIELD et al now in play. Dads (3.7 mil/1.5) dropped 28 percent in the demo, Brooklyn Nine-Nine (4 mil/1.8) plunged 30 percent, New Girl (4.1 mil/2.1) fell 28 percent and The Mindy Project (3 mil/1.5) was down “just” 21 percent.

CBS | NCIS: LA‘s season opener led out of the aforementioned NCIS with 16.2 mil/3.0, dipping 3 and 12 percent from its previous premiere. Person of Interest then christened its new time slot with 12.3 mil/2.3, down 14 and 11 percent from its last Thursday premiere and falling shy of Vegas‘ year-ago debut (14.7 mil/2.5). Hmmm….

RELATED | The Voice Recap: Finally Got a Piece of the Pie

NBC | The Voice drew 14.4 mil and a 4.7, down from Monday’s 15 mil/5.1 but up sharply from last fall’s Tuesday premiere (11.4 mil/4.0). Chicago Fire‘s season opener led out of that with 8.9 mil and a time slot-winning 2.7 (per finals), surging 35 and 42 percent from its year-ago launch (on a Wednesday) and improving greatly on Parenthood‘s last Tuesday premiere.

RELATED | Chicago Fire Premiere Recap: A House in Danger

1. Elyse says:

not surprised by Shields ratings at all!

2. Venkman007 says:

And so it should- a SOLID pilot episode!

• Sadface says:

I love Joss but it was very, very bad imo,. I was very let down. The characters are so generic. Strong good looking tough guy who wants to work alone. Check. Bumbling cute tech nerds. Check. It was great to see J. August Richards in it but the story has been done soooo many times.
      Don’t get me started on how bad Chloe Bennet’s acting is. I found it funny TV line says it’s the biggest opening for a show since V….. we all know how well it went for that show right?

• Rook says:

Its been one episode, give them time to flesh out the characters. You can’t expect each character to multiple layers right at the starting point.
        If you give them time, it will be amazing.

• Timmah says:

Yep, he cast an attractive but bad female lead who couldn’t act her way out of a paper bag. The same mistake he made with Dollhouse

• Temperance says:

I hope Joss made the same ‘mistake’ because Dollhouse was brilliant (just too smart by twice for the typical American viewer).

• joe says:

You people have got to get over yourself. I watched Dollhouse. I liked the show. But too smart for viewers? How was Dollhouse an intelligent show? Anyone could follow it. People just didn’t like it. Maybe it’s too smart for you because you’re a little slow. Not everyone has to have your taste.

• Hmmm…. “two smart by twice”….. I see that hit the nail on the head. If you want to show your intelligence, please speak/type correctly. It should be either A) too smart by to or B) twice as smart. They don’t merge. It seems it might be that your assumption was directed to your own understanding of the show.

Dollhouse was ok. Not epic. Shield is still in its first two episodes. They have a large amount of progression that is needed before we can judge it accurately.

3. Karen says:

What were the ratings for NCIS?

4. Esaul says:

I’m surprised. Now it’ll be more interesting to see what happens next week.

5. Joel says:

After Zivas departure. NCIS’ ratings will crater. Especially if the farewell pisses off fans.

• Patrick says:

And it seems to have pissed off fans so far. Next week’s ep will have to be great to overcome the current bad feelings.

• AJ says:

While I haven’t watched NCIS in 3 or 4 years, I’ll have to disagree with you. While there are a few vocal “Tiva” fans or whatever they call themselves; the VAST VAST majority are older people who care more about Mark Harmon than Cote de Pablo.

• Badpenny says:

I agree with you, but the people who matter as far as ratings, the 18-49 group, are the people who cared about Tiva rather then Mark. While NCIS’s viewership is HUGE, 75% of those viewers don’t add to the ratings, and thus mean nothing for NCIS’s advertising income.

• Daisy Day says:

I am in the vast majority of older viewers and I could care less about Mark Harmon. I am on the Tony/Ziva Team! I’ve been a faithful watcher for 8 years mainly because of the Tony/Tiva banter.

• Jerri says:

I doubt the ratings will fall too hard after Ziva’s departure. Ziva isn’t the ‘glue’ that keeps the team together as some fans tend to think. Even if episodes focusing on her have rated higher. The show will survive, it may take a hit, but it’s not going down the drain. NCIS existed before Ziva, it’ll continue to exist after she leaves.

6. Yasin says:

Wow. NCIS better watch out a 4.6 is really good.

• Ash says:

CBS doesn’t really care about the 18-49 demo since it tends to skew to old viewers. All they care about is the 19.4 million viewers which is an increase from the season finale of only 18.79 million viewers.

• Badpenny says:

Bologni. NCIS has a huge cast, and they don’t come cheaply. Mark gets $500,000 an episode by himself. The demo determines advertising income: the higher the demo the more they can charge advertisers. 75% outside of your demo is OK for product placement income, but that’s a fraction compared to advertiser income.

• Esaul says:

Keep in mind that premieres typically have inflated numbers. People are checking the show out for the first time. It doesn’t mean nor does it guarantee that those numbers will stay that way. NCIS is a reliable performer for CBS. They will still deliver strong numbers. S.H.I.E.L.D. could easily flop next week (or the upcoming weeks for that matter).

7. david says:

while i am not surprised by ratings i wasn’t a big fan of the actual ep

• Bridget says:

Yeah, I’ll be more interested in what the ratings for SHIELD are week 2 and beyond.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Especially since Ep 2 is up against Ziva’s actual, in-the-flesh NCIS goodbye.

• Lola says:

True. But somehow, I really feel like the viewers that flocked to Shield in the demo weren’t being drawn from NCIS. I doubt there’s a ton of crossover in the demo population that would watch both shows. I’d guess it drew instead primarily from Fox’s comedies, maybe some from NBC, and a large population who would otherwise not have been watching live television. I have no doubt Shield will drop in the demo next week, but I’m not sure NCIS will see a corollary increase in its demo.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Very true. I just think that Big Exits from a Big Show draw lookie-loos of all stripes, even non-fans. I know I myself have tuned into a show I never bothered with before just to see how a Big Exit was handled.

• MAS says:

Watched NCIS – enjoyed the episode and plan to continue watching (not for or against Ziva and Tony and am in the ‘coveted’ demo). Recorded S.H.I.E.L.D – haven’t watched yet, but am hoping to add it to my weekly shows.

• Abby says:

I agree. I’m one of those who would otherwise not be watching at this time and tuned in for SHIELD.

• Actually you might be surprised. I know a ton of twentysomethings (myself included) who normally would watch NCIS but instead went over to SHIELD. A lot of us just started watching NCIS out of habit, due to the endless USA marathons.

• lily says:

Yeah, especially after that promo! Even after Cote is gone, I will still be with NCIS. I stayed after Kate was killed, ZIva will still be alive…

• cas says:

I read an article that said episode 2 was actually a lot better than the pilot. Not sure how accurate that is but it may be worth a shot. I don’t usually stop watching something after 1 episode in the first place.

8. ? says:

I want agents of shield to dominate the originals

• mac says:

where does the antagonism come from ? why so mean spirited ? And why do you expect an abc show not dominating a CW show ?

• JC says:

Your expectations are not very high. ABC could air reruns of Last Resort and it would beat The Originals.

• mac says:

did any CW ever beat a show from another network ?

I guess the shows on theCW compete among each nother not with other netorks

• Eric7740 says:

I believe Arrow beat the NBC Wednesday comedies last season, if I’m not mistaken. Granted it was Whitney and Guys With Kids, but still a win for Arrow nonetheless.

9. Shelley says:

Some ratings for NCIS:LA would be nice……

10. Eric7740 says:

I honestly expected more total viewers for SHIELD, with all the buzz that was surrounding it.

11. Martina says:

I actually liked Lucky 7, but it was always going to flop in that timeslot.

12. iMember says:

We’ll deserved! It was a. Great pilot and I can’t wait to see more! Love the vast and the characters of the show too.

13. Jake says:

Considering the hype and promotion, I actually thought SHIELD would open bigger. Too bad about Brooklyn Nine Nine and Trophy Wife, really liked those. Would like to see better numbers.

• Jerri says:

It may have opened bigger if the hype came from primarily the Nielsen households. There’s a lot of international hype as well as non-Nielsen.

• Christina says:

I REALLY liked Trophy Wife, way more than I expected to actually. I’m hoping ABC does a schedule shift and pairs it with Modern Family, they seem like they’d go perfectly together.

• TV Gord says:

That’s a very good idea. Super Fun Night is a horrible match with Modern Family.

• Babygate says:

If only ABC would listen to reason! I’m sure that they have been hearing the same since their schedule was announced. Super Fun Night is a terrible companion to Modern Family. Mostly because it looks pretty bad. So bad that they decided to can the first episode all together. Trophy Wife, IMO, has the potential to be even better than MF once they work out the kinks. A move to Wednesdays would be a sound investment in programming. Instead, they keep wasting this slot in shows that are incompatible and won’t stand on their own. And they need to hurry because MF is sliding down pretty fast. In the ’11-’12 it managed to beat BBT ratings a few times. In the ’12-’13 season it didn’t come even close.

• Lola says:

Tuesdays on ABC are such a hot mess. There’s absolutely no logical reason to put Shield (a genre show) on at 8, two family single camera comedies on at 9, and a drama on at 10. It’s discordant. Trophy Wife should take Super Fun Night’s spot after Modern Family, The Goldbergs should have been held back as a replacement for Back in The Game in case it flops, or as mid-season replacement, and something else should be after Shield. I don’t know what, since all of ABC’s other new dramas look a hot mess, but it shouldn’t be The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife. Maybe OUAT in Wonderland.

• Babygate says:

So I’m not the only who sees that The Goldbergs would have been better off paired with The Middle. They are so much more compatible. The Middle is not huge in ratings but it is very solid. It has survived against Fox’s competitions shows and whatever CBS and NBC have going. My first reaction to the Fall schedule was: The Goldbergs with SHIELD is the worst pairing in the entire schedule. And I also agree that OUAT in Wonderland would be a better fit after SHIELD. The Thursday at 8 spot is bad, bad. It is completely incongruent with the rest of the night’s schedule on ABC.

14. Badpenny says:

I really didn’t expect them to go that high against the “end of Ziva” story line Looks like AoS is a hit.

15. Jorge says:

getting a little worried about my FOX comedies, New Girl, The Mindy Project and Brooklyn Nine-Nine

16. Jerri says:

Awesome! I loved the episode and the score by Bear McCreary was just perfect for a show such as SHIELD. I’ll definitely be tuning in next week. Let’s hope those ratings stick from week to week. So many things laid out in the pilot that will hopefully get answered as the show progresses.

17. Shannon says:

I am not surprised by the great SHIELD ratings either. It was a very much hyped show, and it delivered. I was also surprised at how much I liked both The Goldbergs and Trophy Wife. They were both pretty fresh and funny.

18. Gabriel Anthony says:

That’s great news for Chicago Fire. The premiere was great and with the boost of The Voice probably will be renewed! YAY

19. Jen says:

For those hoping that NCIS will begin to fail, it’s not going to happen with 19 million viewers. No matter who is or isn’t in the cast.

• Jerri says:

it’s mostly the Tiva fans who are hoping the ratings will begin to fall, and they will, but Ziva’s departure won’t get the show cancelled. especially if NCIS plays their cards right in casting as well as storylines.

• Jen says:

And full disclosure, I’m a Tiva fan, albeit not a crazy one. But I’m a bigger fan of the show in general and just want to keep watching.

• wrstlgirl says:

Not to mention how completely childish it is to pray for a show’s demise. It’s like “I don’t like it anymore so I don’t want anyone to have it”. Ugh, grow up.

• cas says:

I don’t care if it fails or not, and I don’t want it to fail but viewers don’t matter. I am sure there have been some canceled shows that have had a good number of viewers.

20. OnceFan316 says:

Not Surprising the Pilot was pretty good hopefully Agents of Shield continues to do well.

21. The Kaibosh says:

Hmm. 11.9 million viewers is a decent number to be sure for SHIELD. But I’m certain that there is mild disappointment and concern at the network today. I said this in the spring. Because of its pedigree a show like this must approach the 18-20 million viewer mark to be considered successful. This is why: The show is expensive. It needs to be. For one because it has to deliver close to feature film production quality. Its necessary because although Wedon and co have all said this is not Avengers TV; in many ways it has to FEEL like Avengers TV for the viewers to start watching and stay watching. Secondly; its expensive because its heavily, heavily licenced. Meaning that Marvel, Disney etc all need to get their piece of the pie for using names, images, logos and likenesses of their characters. 11.9 million viewers is very respectable but there are other shows that can and do bring in those numbers for a fraction of the cost. This is not me being a hater and wishing bad things on this show. I enjoyed the pilot and am a fan of the movies and comics. I want this show to succeed. But in order for this to happen more people need to watch.

• Badpenny says:

In case you don’t understand how ratings and advertising income works, it’s all based off of the demo number, not the total viewership. To put it into perspective, about 5 million viewers in NCIS determined how much CBS charges for each commercial whereas about 6 million viewers determine how much ABC can charge for AoS. IE, 1 million more viewers means ABC can charge more for each 30 second commercial. AoS will make more per episode then NCIS, and ABC will make more because the AoS cast costs then a fraction of what the NCIS cast costs.
      Also keep in mind that ABC owns Marvel. There is no huge licensing issue as it’s all in-house.

• Badpenny says:

What I meant to say at the end, but accidentally hit post, was that Disney owns ABC and Marvel, thus all license fees are in-house. It’s not a issue as all money goes back to Disney no matter what.

• The Kaibosh says:

Yes I do understand how ratings and advertising works. Very much so. It scored a 4.6. Which means that of those between 18-49 years of age watching; 4.6% of them were watching Shield. Some people might say WOW 4.6 that’s great! I can assure you there are people right now saying “wow only 4.6? and only 11.6 million total viewers? We put a lot of money into the production and marketing of this.” And yes, total viewers counts very much. Its a bellweather indicator of a show’s reach. And as for licensing; regardless of things being in-house, they’re all separate business entities that have to maintain their separate accounting. They still need to pay license fees to each other. This is an expensive show. It needs more viewers.

• Badpenny says:

It doesn’t need more viewers. New Girl has nearly half as many viewers as AoS and is in its 3rd season because its demo is high. IE, most of its viewers are in the target range. You’re really misunderstanding demo. I suggest you look around and really see how many shows get a 4.0 or higher demo per year. The number might shock you. Total viewership is meaningless.
          And as far as in-house licensing, keep in mind that there’s laws about how much money corporations can claim from their subsidiaries via this process. It doesn’t work like you think it does.

• The Kaibosh says:

No. It works exactly like I’m saying it does. Every time you see Thor’s hammer, Captain America’s Shield or Iron Man’s mask those are trademarked items. Every time the name Nick Fury, “Director Fury” or the “the Avengers” is mentioned; its a Marvel property and a percentage of revenues from the sale of the show goes to the various stakeholders in house or not. Those various subsidiaries are required by law to keep strict and accurate accounting of their licensed products. Other shows like NCIS, Greys Anatomy or Hawaii Five O don’t carry that baggage making them cheaper to produce. This show is expensive and in order for it bring in the gross profit that was promised to the business; it either needs to increase its revenue or lower its cost.

• Badpenny says:

The Kaibosh, what you seem to be missing is that ABC and Marvel are wholly owned subsidiaries of Disney. At the end of the year all their profits or losses are merged into Disney’s to determine a net profit value to be distributed amongst the shareholders. Thus ABC losing $20 million to Marvel is entirely offset by Marvel making $20 million from ABC. The debit and credit cancel each other out when the profit values are added to Disney’s profit. Since Marvel and ABC don’t have shareholders and are completely owned by Disney their individual profits are meaningless. All that maters is the final profit Disney lists for hits shareholders.

• DL says:

I don’t think it’s as expensive as you’re making it out to be. The special effects clearly were not anywhere near feature film quality. They were very much on par, or maybe just a little bit better, than the effects you see on shows like OUAT. However, I have to say that I actually enjoyed the effects being slightly campy. It really made me feel like I was watching a classic Joss Whedon TV show.

• Alex says:

Total viewers don’t matter that much. The demo is what’s really important, and that was big. It’s almost certain to drop in future weeks, though, so the real question is where it will settle.

• Jerri says:

you have to take into consideration who they were up against. If they put the show on a day other than Tuesday, the viewer ratings probably would’ve been considerably higher. but they put it against NCIS, the #1 rated drama on TV to date when it comes to eyeballs. I personally know people who are fans of NCIS (and I’m one of them) and also have enjoyed the SHIELD pilot. Which show to watch live and which show to DVR?
      I’m sure the network is also taking other things into consideration, such as social media chatter (Nielsen has started taking it into consideration too, FYI). SHIELD had 1million + likes on Facebook before the show even aired, these are the kinds of numbers advertisers would salivate at. Doesn’t matter how many of those people are active or not, 1000000+ likes isn’t something to ignore. Neither is all the chatter via the #AgentsofSHIELD hashtag on Twitter.

• The Kaibosh says:

I hear what you’re saying but there is no such thing as a network, film or tv executive that says “we’re aiming for the number 2 spot”. And regardless of how many facebook likes a show has this is still a very antiquated business that relies too much on the old Nielson ratings box to get its data that goes to advertisers. When this show was pitched and fast tracked it was done so on the basis that its based on the highest grossing set of movies in recent memory. It didn’t do as well as it should have. I hope it improves.

22. Steve says:

I am not surprised at the strong open for SHIELD – first week, after all, and very well promoted. Probably will be adjusted up after DVR viewing, too. It’s likely to settle down a little in the coming weeks, but it’s definitely “a keeper.”

23. jasie says:

Fox needs to move B99. It’s such a dumb funny show and it will be obliterated by the competition. Also really hope ABC does something to help Trophy Wife.

24. Hana says:

I can’t believe that Shield is gonna hang on to those numbers, I’ve overheard too many unenthusiastic comments about the pilot. Also, would be interested to see half hour splits.

25. HeatherC says:

Thrilled for the ratings boost to Chicago Fire!! I thought the premiere was great last night and set things up nicely for what should be another strong season. Glad to see SHIELD have a solid debut (I have no past Marvel fandom to speak of but I did enjoy the premiere last night) and hopefully ABC’s comedies do well because they were both actually funny. Thanks as always for the information! =)

• TV Gord says:

I agree on all counts! It just goes to show that you can’t judge a series by its pilot. I didn’t enjoy the Chicago Fire pilot, but I stuck with it, and I’m glad it did. It hit its stride before long, and last night’s episode shows it isn’t slowing down!

26. Josh says:

They need to move Brooklyn 99, put it on Mondays or Thursdays, it’s got the same type of crowed the Shield so it’s going to get slaughtered if it stays.

27. david says:

Shield was excellent. I was disappointed by Dads last week but I think this week’s episode was much better. Hopefully it will continue to get better. Brooklyn 99 is great and I hope it can stick around. The two ABC comedies were both good and hopefully they can keep producing decent numbers. Lucky 7 not so great – I was kind of digging part of it but it really has no name actors and the preview for next week’s episode didn’t look so great (really – someone lost the lottery ticket?).

28. Agents of SHIELD is destined to get a full season pick up soon while Dads is on the verge of being the first new show of the Fall TV season to get canceled.

29. For ►me◄, I solved the SHEILD vs CBS 3 hour block issue: set the DVR to record NCIS, NCIS: LA, & Person of Interest, watch SHIELD, Start NCIS→LA→Person at 9 and zap through the ads …. done at 11:15 or so.
    Comments, S Murray (NCIS, Tim) is gaining his weight back … at least in his face. And SHIELD… FANTASTIC pilot, IMHO.

30. Daisy Day says:

I really enjoyed SHIELD. Can’t wait until next week’s episode.

31. sandy says:

I liked shield was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the Goldbergs didn’t
    Think it would been so funny ncis is awesome I don’t care much for Tiva…

32. Daniel says:

Let’s hope Shield will have the same faith as V, then. Didn’t like it!

33. Drew says:

Not surprised by the ratings for SHIELD… but they will be cut in half within a few weeks. The episode seems to be getting mixed reviews. Hardly a home run.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

So true. TVLine readers only gave it an average grade of “A-.”

• JC says:

And it “only” scored a 74 on Metacritic, which was the highest score for any new show on the broadcast nets.

• Drew says:

“V” debuted Nov. 3, 2009 with over 14 million viewers and mixed reviews. By episode 5, those numbers had been cut in half. By the time the season ended, they’d lost about 10 million viewers.

Online polls don’t reflect actual viewership. Not that I believe the ratings system, but that’s another conversation. TV Line readers would give Veronica Mars and Firefly the highest possible scores, but that doesn’t translate into ratings or overall viewership. It’s just a way to measure the viewership of the people who also visit a particular website. There’s a reason why pollsters generally don’t focus their efforts on one community during national elections.

• magreeda says:

TVLine readers are not a perfect microcosm of American TV viewership. ;)

Like Drew, I’ve seen a lot of mixed reviews about the pilot elswhere and I thought it fell very flat. But who expects anything else out of Whedon? None of his shows have ever started out strong, some taking as long as a season to get any good. (I’m looking at you, Buffy).

With my DVR dance card being as full as it is, the second ep of SHIELD will have to be pretty amazing to make up for the blah pilot.

34. Tuesdays were good before but now it’s a RIDICULOUSLY FANTASTIC night of tv.

35. Brandon says:

Too bad Agents of Shield kinda sucked.

36. sarah says:

I am so happy that Chicago Fire did that well! I hope the numbers stay that way! I was worried about the move but it may be one of the best things that NBC has done!

37. Katelin says:

Honestly when ziva leaves I’m switching over to Shield. It doesn’t mean I want NCIS to fail I’m just not interested right now.

• B. says:

Same here. I wanna see her final episode and then I’m switching over to AoS. I don’t wish bad on the show either, it’s just not for me anymore for many reasons. I think NCIS will definitely take a hit with her leaving but I think it’ll survive. And while AoS’s numbers might fall from the premiere I think it has great potential.

• Amanda says:

Me too. I just feel like NCIS is a little stale for me and I’m switching over to Agents of Shield after I say farewell to Ziva next week. I’m sure NCIS will still draw big numbers, but I’m the “coveted” demo and taking my coveted self over to ABC.

38. JT says:

I will honest, I was expecting SHIELD could be have a good rating, bu to be a bad series. I record this and after to watch the first episode: amazing!!! I dod not have good expection of the show. For me tuesday nigth is awesome: NCIS, NCIS:LA and Shield. All tuesday. And also I like New Girl, Mindy (rating :( ) and Trophy girl.

39. Jane says:

Hahaha…Matt has his snark on today! Awesome.
    My DVR is going to blow up this season.

40. Alex says:

11 million to 19 million people, ncis will crash when ziva leaves?, riiiiiiiiiiight, dream on, hey next week, when ncis and ncis la kick shield’s ass again, what will you say?

• P Diddily says:

Total viewers is pretty much meaningless. All Networks care about is the 18-49 demo where AoS’s 4.6 crushed NCIS’s 3.4.

• Dave says:

To bad total viewers doesn’t mean much. I never thought SHIELD would match it total viewers because NCIS has all the old people that watch that type of show. Take a look at the Demo rating that’s the one that matters. Also I am not sure how it will turn out and who will end up with the higher demo. I just wanted to make it clear you can’t go by total viewers. Also if NCIS does lose viewers because of Ziva leaving it will most likely be in the demo because those are the hard core younger fans that get worked up and quit watching shows because of that type of stuff

41. Rae says:

If you are going to quit watching NCIS because Ziva is leaving then you were never a true fan. The show is so much more than Ziva/Tiva. NCIS isn’t going anywhere and I knew Shield wasn’t going to take away viewers. I have never really understood the demo ratings. I know it is about money and advertising but all I see is how many people are actually watching the shows. What a major feat that NCIS can command 20 million people to tune in live on their couches for one program! No dvr, watching online, this is 20 million people watching LIVE! Everyone can boast about Shield’s demo all you want but 20 million people are watching NCIS!! I don’t think those numbers are going to dip much because Ziva is leaving. Don’t ignore NCIS LA either, it brings in 16 million viewers one of which is me! I think the numbers are good for Person of Interest which I also watch. Tuesday is a good night for me on CBS! 12 million watched PoI and Vegas may have debuted at 14 million but couldn’t hold those viewers. By the time it ended I think it was only in the 7-9 million range. CBS is tough on its shows…you have to hover around 10 million or you are getting the ax. Just so everyone knows who is writing this, I am a loyal CBS watcher and I’m not old…I am 31. I do watch other shows on other networks but most of my shows are from CBS.

• justme says:

I believe next day ratings do include neilsen members who watched via dvr up through 3am. It is not those who are just watching live as it airs.

42. Boiler says:

This is another night, like Monday actually, that shows networks need to start figuring out how to use all the ways TV is watched. I am guessing some big increases for DVR numbers, hopefully to include Fox comedies which, except for Dads, are good. Could we get a TVLine article/video on this subject. Glad they cancelled BOP for Lucky….not.

43. magreeda says:

“UPDATE: It also stands as all of TV’s best drama launch in four years (since ABC’s own V).”

Well I’m sure this means good things since we saw how well it worked out for V. Oh, wait….

44. chris says:

person of interest was amazing.. shield was kinda meh.

• brenna says:

Yes. I love Person of Interest. I think it’s the best show on tv right now. The ratings are good and the number of viewers is good, but I hope they improve. I don’t really care for Shaw or Root. It would have been okay for them to appear occasionally. I think they’ve given some of Reese’s action scenes to Shaw and that is a big mistake to me. However, I love the original characters and will watch as long as it’s on. It’s still great.

• prish says:

I didn’t care for the Root/Shaw addition, either. However, the machine sticking Root in a therapy ward was a hoot. I’ll keep watching.

45. Brian says:

I am disappointed in Person of Interest’s performance- if history repeats itself it’s audience will follow and it will build as it has in the past. Such a great show. I hope this Tuesday night thing does not prove to be a mistake.

46. Rae says:

I thought Person of Interest was really good last night! I really like the addition of Root and Shaw. It freshened up the series! Also, with Carter’s demotion and her looking into HR on her own I’m very interested to see her storyline develop. Tuesday nights are awesome!

47. Tom says:

SHIELD has a built in, week to week audience. It will be strong all season

48. Babygate says:

I hope that SHIELD retains the ratings as much as possible, but the premiere was not spectacular. Besides Coulter and Skye, the cast is pretty bland, at least for now. I’m sure Melinda May is a spectacular player, but that wasn’t reflected on the episode. Hope that changes. It appears pretty obvious that the writers/producers have banked more on the reputation of the Marvel universe and the special effects than actual substance. The writing was pretty pedestrian as well. Still, I’m looking forward to episode 2 being much better. NCIS certainly has a huge following. But the viewership does not translate very well into the 18-49 demo. The next few weeks will tell the tale. SHIELD did much better in the demo but the viewership is in line with Castle’s, so, while good, nothing earth-shattering. It needs to hold the demo to be a serious contender against NCIS and The Voice. Other shows have started with fantastic demo numbers only to end up being cancelled. Hope this is not a repeat of V.

49. Temperance says:

Well, SHIELD was the most anticipated new show, and there was nothing – and I mean nothing – on for about four weeks. Anyone surprised? Nope. And regardless of this, or how good it is, it’ll never be nominated for an Emmy since it’s sci-fi. Sleepy Hollow is actually off to a decent start, too, but horror is a tough sell to a lot of people and really is X-Files creepy.

50. Eric7740 says:

To be fair Matt, Parenthood never had The Voice as its lead-in.