HIMYM's Cristin Milioti Promises Fans Won't 'Be Let Down' By What's Ahead for Mom/Ted (& Lily!)

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersThe Mother is here, and she’s delightful!

Not only will she charm Lily in How I Met Your Mother‘s Season 9 premiere (airing Monday at 8/7c), but she’ll also win over Ted when the two share some “exciting” screentime together in the CBS comedy’s swan song, new series regular Cristin Milioti reveals to TVLine.

Read on for scoop from the actress about meeting Ted’s pals, learning the future Mrs. Mosby’s name and much more!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on How I Met Your Mother and 44 Other Returning Faves

TVLINE | How has the experience of joining the show been for you? Have you had a particularly surreal moment?
It’s been amazing… I’ve had such a wonderful time. I’ve been made to feel so welcome by the cast and by the creative team and by the crew. It’s just been like a warm, fuzzy, wonderful experience. Surreal moments probably include when I was given an official parking spot. I was very excited. Certainly on set, I’ve had to pinch myself and be like, “Oh, my God, I’m working on this fantastic comedy show with all these wonderful people.”

TVLINE | In your chemistry read with Josh [Rador], did you feel it click then?
I did. [Laughs] I won’t speak for him, but I certainly did. I just felt an instant connection with him from the moment we met each other. There’s an ease there. He’s just the loveliest guy. So immediately, I felt very safe with him. We were making each other laugh. It was great. … You can never predict. Chemistry is extremely unpredictable. And it just so happened to be there.

TVLINE | Despite the fact that you just joined the show, your character has been in the title for eight years. Does that add a strange pressure to represent and live up to viewers’ expectations?
It never had until it was brought up in an interview a couple weeks ago. We did a behind-the-scenes feature, Josh and I, and the interviewer asked, “How are you dealing with the pressure of taking on this role?” That thought had never crossed my mind until that moment. Sure, sometimes the thought will come up, and I’ll think, “Oh, my God, I hope everyone likes me, and I hope I’m doing the character justice.” [But] it’s pretty fleeting, because I’m in excellent hands. Also, oddly, I had never seen the show before I got the role, so I watched all the episodes [on DVD] knowing that I’m The Mother. If I’d seen the show and not known that, I would have been much more frightened. [Laughs]

VIDEO | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Josh Radnor and Cristin Milioti on Their First Kiss

TVLINE | We’ve gotten little tidbits about The Mother over the years. How would you describe her?
I’ve said before that she’s the female version of Ted, but that’s too much of a blanket statement. She’s really warm and openhearted, which you can see in that first episode with [Lily]. I would certainly never offer a stranger cookies on a train who looked like they were having a hard time [the way The Mother does]. As a New Yorker, I’d be like, “Oh, my God, they probably have a knife on them!” She’s just so direct and openhearted and caring — but also at the same time, [she's] a complete dork and shares that dad humor with Ted, that well-intentioned, but corny sense of humor. In my life, sense of humor is number one when it comes to romantic relationships or friendships. That really binds people together.

TVLINE | How much will we see of Ted and the mother together?
Not to sound too cryptic, but you will see a very exciting amount. We just shot an episode this week… I’m sworn to secrecy, but I think it will be such an exciting episode for the fans.

TVLINE | Going into this last season, there was worry that because it was taking place over this 56-hour weekend, we weren’t going to see Ted and the mother’s relationship. Do you feel pretty well assured that fans are going to be satisfied?
They will not be let down. They totally will not be let down. I will leave it at that. They’re in for some really great stuff.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — A Curse, a Bear, a Locket Twist and More

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersTVLINE | The producers have said Ted’s friends will meet The Mother before he does, and Lily is the first in the premiere. How does that go, and do they get along?
In a way, isn’t Lily the ultimate barometer? She’s always meddling and is like the den mother. But then I think everyone is equally important to meet because they’re such a close-knit family of friends. Again, it speaks to the character’s openheartedness and warmness that she immediately wins Lily over. And she’s not trying. She’s just being a good person. They click. I think Lily and The Mother also have a good chemistry.

TVLINE | Does every meeting with one of the gang go as well as that one?
I will say, from what I know so far, yes. [Laughs] But I could rue those words. I’m pretty, pretty sure yes.

TVLINE | Which meeting were you most looking forward to before the season started filming?
I am very much looking forward to when The Mother meets Robin. That is going to be such an epic meeting. It would depend on what I was watching. Certain ones, I was like, “Aww, what’s it going to be like when she meets Barney? Are they going to sing together?”

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — William Zabka Returns

TVLINE | Ted’s been our narrator this whole time, but there’s another side to this story. Will we learn or see what The Mother has been up to these past eight years?
I have no idea. But I certainly hope so. That would be an amazing idea for an episode… I totally know people will learn everything there is to learn about The Mother throughout the season, but I don’t know when that’s happening.

TVLINE | Is there an episode you wish you could have been a part of?
I would have loved to have been in the musical number where Barney sings about suits. That looked like a lot of fun.

TVLINE | And lastly, when are we finally going to be able to call you by your name instead of The Mother?!
Again, no idea. I don’t know her name. It’s anyone’s guess.

TVLINE | Do you hope to learn her name, or would you rather that remained a mystery?
I guess because I played someone without a name ["Girl" in the Broadway musical Once], it doesn’t matter to me. It’s fine with me either way.

1. Okay, here’s one for you TV Line.

What are the chances that Bob Saget might play “Future Ted” in the series finale? ALSO, if he were to play the role (I don’t think using Rador in make up with Saget dubbing him would work), who would play the role of “Future Mother” (again, Milioti in make up would be weird). There might be a double casting for the role. Present-Day and Future-Day Mother. Could Future-Day Mother even be a big name A-List star?

2. ally says:

biggest spoiler for me is the fact that she had never watched the show until after she landed the role. i kind of liked her as the mother until now

• Kel says:

Why does that make a difference? Coming in with no preconceived ideas about her role, probably works to her advantage.

• Cosima says:

In this case I like the fact that she had enough respect for the show and fans to watch all 9 seasons after being cast. Not everyone watches a lot of TV, it’s not unforgivable to not have seen the show before. What annoys me are the actors who refuse to watch a show/book/previous incarnation so they can “bring their own interpretation”.

• Doug says:

Sorry, but that’s a really bizarre opinion to have. TV watching is declining rapidly as the years go by, and there are plenty of people who do binge watch episodic television nowadays. And besides, not everyone watches the same things. I’m sure there are TV shows on the air you’ve never seen am I right?

• ally says:

as someone who is personally excited about meeting the mother, id want the actress who plays the mother to realize how lucky she is and be excited about getting this amazing role. to say that we should congratulate her/respect her for watching a show she is going to act on is much more bizarre. its her job to watch the show she will be on and understand the background and epic quality of this role (epic within the context of this show). granted im not an actress so i dont know what kind of work and research most people put into their auditions, but it seems strange to me to not do a little homework before actually auditioning. how do you not at least watch an episode or 2 before auditioning? ..i cant imagine going into a job interview without knowing anything about the company and then being considered respectful for doing research after the fact. (so on the note of which tv shows i watch. if i were going to audition for one of them, you can bet id watch it first)

• cjeffery7 says:

her job as the mother extends far beyond her audition. isn’t it what ends up on screen in the end that matters more? she was cold-called in for an audition for a mystery role. how much research could she have done? for all she knew it was just another love interest for one of the guys on the show (if she hadn’t seen the show she might not know much of anything about the mother mystery). besides, she watched all 9 seasons in the interim… not a small feat, and in my opinion, a great sign of her dedication and subsequent respect for the part she’s about to take on.

• Patrick says:

That might be why she got hired. Having no preconceived notions of the character might have helped her.

• Alan says:

why is it so important that she be a fan of the show? how would that really make a difference?

• She DID NOT audition for the role of the Mother. She was called to audition on a role but they NEVER told her what. And besides, so what if she never watched the show. Does that make her less of an actress? Shame on you for being so narrow-minded.

3. John says:

She’s from live theater right? That means she worked nights.

4. Mike R. says:

I’m excited, and I hope I’m pleased with the final season, I certainly like Milioti as the mother thus far.

5. Barbara says:

Am I the only one who sees her as Lily’s twin with dark hair?!?

6. Joey says:

Great interview. I can’t wait to see her in the season premiere this monday.

7. niyati says:

Me i am looking forward to the confrontation between the mother and robin, not when they meet but when the mother learns of ted’s history with robin. How would their interaction be when the mother knows how ted idolized robin. wouldn’t it be uncomfortable to be on the best terms with someone whom your husband has so much history with.

• Ash says:

Robin has her flaws and one of them seems to be she really needs to be the center of attention.

I get the feeling that because of the Mother’s personality, Robin will be the one that may be rather upset that the guy who idolized her now does not because someone else has taken her spot, even if she is already married to Barney.

The Mother has been described as being the type that guys just fall in love with her. I don’t think she would be the type that would be intimidated or jealous of Robin.

8. Amie says:

Okay, I know this is a downer, but I’m afraid, to make it reasonable that Ted has spent all this time telling his children how he met their mother *without the mother there*, that we will find out she’s been dead for years and they don’t really know her. I would say, oh, it’s a comedy, they won’t kill the mother, but… They killed Marshal’s dad and the show has definitely had heart-tugging moments. But I’m really, really hoping they don’t kill her off and we get to see her grow old with Ted and their kids.

• She dies giving birth to the twins – A few years later, grieving widower Ted and recently divorced Robin finally give in to fate and marry. Aunt Robin and Ted raise the kids together and live happily ever after.

• Mike R. says:

I really hope that does not happen.

• Courtney says:

I really hope that does not happen… I really like Ted and for him not to get his happily ever after with the mom of his kids would be cruel and heartbreaking.

• DL says:

I really hope Bays and Thomas have enough respect for the fans not to mess with their heads and hearts like that. Seriously. Yes, it’d be dramatic and emotionally impactful, but that’s not the kind of show we’ve been watching, and therefore, I think, not the appropriate kind of payoff.

• cas says:

I personally love this scenario! And even when it doesn’t end that way I will tell myself it did and just pretend. Haha.

• Ashleah Youn says:

Except the kids aren’t twins. When there was a flash-forward to watching the Star Wars trilogy, Ted only had the girl, so she’s the eldest. The boy came later.

• Alan says:

except the kids arent twins, otherwise ted would have had both them with him watching the trllogy.

9. DL says:

I had the pleasure of knowing Cristin at NYU, and she’s every bit as sweet, warm, and funny as she seems in this interview. As a longtime fan of HIMYM, I can’t express how excited I am for this season!

10. Robert Krasser says:

my newest crazy guess is that “TGWTYU” will merry barney after robin and barney found out they are related…
    also Barney will find out that Robin still loves Ted after he watched her in secred in Central Park when they kissed …
    but I am not sure how Carter and Thomas explain all the twists.
    And I am almost sure it is not Ted telling the storry of HIMYM why they use a different voice (Bob Sarget)?

• justsomegirl says:

I was just about to comment “LOL you really didn’t watch 8.23 did you? There was no kiss and Robin doesn’t love Ted” but then I saw your name and was like, “Oh it’s just this guy again. He’s always seeing what he wants to see and doesn’t understand the show at all.”

• Ash says:

Definitely didn’t kiss.

Although I don’t remember where I saw them, but there were pictures of Barney alone at the park looking rather upset at something, which I guess was Ted and Robin, even if they were not doing anything.

I can’t find them now, but I think they will be used for episode “Broken Code”. I don’t know when he would have even had time to get there when he was playing the laser tag game.

• Robert Krasser says:

Up to now there was no kiss, but have you seen the leaked pictures from the “broken bro code” episode?

• Robert Krasser says:

Have you seen the “cousin” video? What do you think? Are Robin and Barney really related?
        And when Barney standing in central park, he looks quite angry, I have seldomly seen him like that.

• justsomegirl says:

Oh my god, of course Barney and Robin aren’t related. They’ll find out in the epiode because the next one after that, both of them are kissing and trying to find alone time together. We saw how in the sneek peek that both of them were so grossed out to the point where they struggled to even kiss each other. If the mere idea disgusts them that much, then why do we see pics of BR in the next episode kissing and cuddling with each other?

I hope somehow, its revealed that Ted and Robin are related. Yeah it would be gross, but maybe it would forever silence TR shippers.

• Robert Krasser says:

To mee this is too strange as well that B+R are related. I think this will not be the obstacle to get merried. But this scene proofs that Barney still dont know about Robins infertillity.

And justsomegirl what do you think Barney sees in central park? Just holding hands between T&R?

• Alan says:

currently banging my head against a wall as punishment for giving this the two seconds it took to read it, wont be getting that precious time back.

11. brian says:

People the mother is not dead! That would be like the finale for “lost” all build up with no payoff, as for the casting of Cristin Milioti, shes perfect. Shes a wonderful actress and the fact that she hadn’t watched the series is to her benifit because she can come at it fresh and without the daunting pressure of trying to be everything that we’ve build up in our minds over the last 8 seasons. With that said Milioti is smacking it out of the park. I used to be diehard Ted and Robin but know that we’ve meet the mother and gotten to know her shes a much better fit for him. So shut with the TR! TR! TR! Stuff

12. brian says:

Im gonna be an a$$ but Robert Krasser your a freaking moron dude, im with everyone else, u got Netflix? Go watch ever single episode of HIMYM twice before u get back on one of HIMYM articles. This time pay attention

• Robert says:

brian, who is now the moron? I was always Ted and Robin shipper. because is is was the only logical option!

13. Bay Pirate says:

From there, it becomes an easy step to get players’ account information from Microsoft if they are logged into Xbox
    Live. It is not designed for secure or large-scale application. s a sign that you can do business your provider however, if
    the feedback is negative, you must never do business with this provider.

14. Aurelia says:

Hey there I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really
    found you by mistake, while I was researching on Askjeeve for something else, Regardless
    I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a all round
    thrilling blog (I also love the theme/design),
    I don’t have time to read it all at the moment but I have bookmarked it and also included your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will
    be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome work.

15. I am really thankful to the holder of this website who has shared this impressive paragraph at at this time.

16. Thanks for finally writing about >How I Met Your Mother
    Season 9 Spoilers – Cristin Milioti on The Mother/Ted | TVLine <Liked it!