Bones Bosses Preview New Big Bad, Booth and Brennan's Relationship 'Test' and More

Bones Season 9 SpoilersPelant may be on his way out, but that doesn’t mean Bones‘ Booth and Brennan can kick back and focus on wedding seating charts and signature cocktails.

It’s no secret that the pair will take down their nemesis during Season 9 (which premieres Sept. 16 at 8/7c), but the end of his reign of terror will only bring on more troubles for the crime-solving duo.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on Bones and 44 Other Returning Faves

“Pelant is part of uncovering our next Big Bad,” executive producer Hart Hanson revealed during a recent conference call.

But first, Brennan and Booth must deal with that pesky cyber hacktavist. “Pelant will definitely figure into their lives quite heavily in the first few episodes,” shared Nathan. “It’ll be a far more intense episode. It’ll be them confronting him in a way we haven’t seen before.”

And the resolution will come “fairly quickly,” since the couple will tie the knot early in the season. “They can’t really get married until the issue of Pelant has been dealt with one way or another,” pointed out Hanson.

VIDEO | Bones Season 9 Spoilers — Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz on Big Pelant Confrontation and Wedding Episode

Read on for more scoop about the new season:

WEDDED BLISS | Hanson said he intends to give fans “a wedding in the way they don’t expect it.” One of the guests at the affair will be Booth’s ex-priest, Aldo (played by Mather Zickel), who will be back throughout the season. As for after the nuptials, Booth and Brennan’s union won’t change them, but it will challenge them. “We wanted them to get married and then put them in the most extreme situations we possibly could for the remainder of the year to test that relationship,” said Nathan.

GOING ABROAD | The newly married couple will honeymoon in Buenos Aires, where they discover “that the entire country of Argentina is madly in love with Brennan’s books, and it takes a turn that even Brennan didn’t see coming,” previewed Nathan.

RELATED | Bones Season 9 Casts David Hornsby as Priest in Wedding Episode

BROKEN FRIENDSHIP | The bad feelings between Booth and Angela, who takes Brennan’s side during the couple’s woes, will linger for a while. “They both love Brennan, and [you] don’t step between sisters, which Booth has done,” explained Hanson. “That’s going to take a while to play out, because hurtful things were said, and they don’t fix themselves overnight.”

BURNING QUESTIONS | The EPs wouldn’t say when the mystery behind the cryptic “447” number will be answered, but they did reveal that viewers soon will learn what Brennan wrote when she was buried alive with Hodgins in Season 2, as well as Angela’s real name!

GROSS-OUT | “One episode coming up has something that seems to be one of the most revolting things – and I say that with great delight – that we’ve ever had on Bones, and it has nothing do to with a dead body,” teased Nathan.

1. Babybop says:

I’m excited to find out what Brennan wrote! That was one of the best episodes. Can’t wait for this to come back, I miss it!

2. July Lark says:

OK, I’m truly at a loss, they set it up so Booth has to break the engagement so as not to have more blood on his hands and by doing this he gets in between the sisters? huh, so the plan is just to make Booth out the bad guy and the whole team turns against him? I’m truly missing what they are trying to tell me. I don’t get it, I really don’t.

• Hoosierdaddy says:

Angela and Booth aren’t getting along, doesn’t mean team is turning against him…everything we’re going to see is simply fallout

• July Lark says:

Well, let me see, Caro, Sweets, Cam have been on Booth’s back & Brennan said Ang was too, that leaves only Hod that hasn’t taken a bite out of Booth…..that’s the whole team to me.

• Kwapple says:

Angela may be only only one openly hostile…Cam, Caroline, and Sweets are just trying to get answers which doesn’t mean turning on Booth. I figure Angela is the only person who is 100% in Brennan’s corner

• 1mars says:

Well, ok, I could buy that but why should he air his laundry in the workplace? How is that their business? A little professionalism would be nice for all of the team. Would you be that open to your coworkers discussing your personal, private relationship with your SO? I would tell them to su too, hopefully politely.

• Kwapple says:

If they were all simply co-workers I would agree, but they are far more than co-workers. One of the underlying themes of Bones has always been about the family you choose, and the team has become a family of sorts. Brennan and Booth are the nucleus of this family unit and when they hurt everyone hurts. That’s why everyone weighs in on the subject (Caroline even said something similar in one of the sneak peaks).

• anon says:

Getting in between sisters…I mean what? huh?…that makes no sense…for that to make sense it would mean that Brennan would stick up for Booth when Angela is being a biatch to him..making Angela peeved that she did that….which going by the press i doubt Brennan does…it is none of Angela’s business what goes on btwn B&B…i don’t care if she is Brennan’s BFF…there are 2 people in B&B relationship not 3. ..I mean they are even going to have Angela be a biatch to Booth on his wedding day and this is after she finds out why Booth did what he did…I mean seriously is Angela still in High School ? GROW UP

• sd says:

To the team have no idea that the reason Booth reneged on the engagement was because of Pelant. It makes perfect sense for them to be upset with him under those circumstances. They know how hard it was for Brennan to ask him to marry her and how big a step that was for her, and they clearly are disappointed in him.

• anon says:

they ALL have known Booth long enough to know that him not wanting to marry Brennan is OOC for him…they know he is the marrying kind…. and has been waiting for years on Brennan to ask him to marry her ..he even told Sweets that in the finale…and yet few of them are giving him the benefit of the doubt and asking themselves maybe Booth is in trouble, maybe he has a good reason…oh no they just disregard their knowledge of Booth throughout the years and turn on him like a pack of dogs…well with friends like that who needs enemies.

3. lucy says:

disappointed there was no mention of freddie prinze jr. in this article when he was mentioned in the conference call by the bosses…i mean he IS in the premier with a key role setting up a future plot for booth…

• Lauren says:

I was relieved, I feel like FPJ has been in every scoop and story this summer. Nice to get a break.

• anon says:

Freddie has been barely mentioned since the initial casting news was broke…when a show hires a well known star in an ep, it is suppose to be highlighted and not buried…PR 101

4. Kwapple says:

I’d love to see a new serial killer, as long as they don’t get carried away with him/her the way they did with Pelant. Also can’t wait to see what Brennan wrote while buried alive…I can’t wait for s9!

5. O'Brien says:

The letters from season 2!!! Yes!

6. Maeve O'Brien says:

Pelant should have been killed off last season. Its wrecking my head that he’s still alive.

7. Nicole says:

I could’ve sworn that Angela’s real name was once revealed. There was an episode where a woman from a government agency came in and interviewed everyone and mentioned it while she was talking with Angela. Anyone else remember?

• Nicole says:

Way back in season 1. I believe the episode was titled “The Woman in the Car”

• madbengalsfan85 says:

I went back and watched the episode, and I didn’t catch it

• suzi says:

I think the closest they’ve come to a reveal is when she whispered it to the judge/justice of the peace/whatever who married them in jail. I also think the woman from the agency started to say it but Angela stopped her…but I don’t always correctly remember things anymore…

8. sladewilson says:

Let me help y’all here – if Booth verbally fights back against what Angela says to him, then yeah, he’s the bad guy. You know how Brennan and Angela are, so take the hit, dude. When it all comes out later, Angela would’ve probably been the first to apologize to him but if he goes in on her, well yeah, those words linger, on both sides.

9. Kris says:

-The new foe “looms over our people in a way we have yet to see on Bones,” added fellow EP Stephen Nathan. “It’s someone who is far more ephemeral than any of our other bad guys.”-

I don’t know how much more “looming” a big bad can be. Pelant is the be all/end all of techno-criminals. Will the new big bad be a wizard? The whole Pelant arc has just soured me. The Grave Digger was a legitimately scary foe. Pelant is ridiculous. So it is hard for me to take anything that has been cause by him serious….including the whole cancelled engagement (and all the feelings around that). I just want him gone.

The Argentina episode sounds fun though.

10. Amanda says:

Does anyone else feel like the show has drawn this Pelant thing on too long? He’s so dark, disgusting and vengeful (threatening Angela and Hodgins baby in their home). I miss the Gravedigger, she just burried them underground. Sheesh.

11. Pauline says:

I was ready to see the back of Palant from the crack in the code. He make me cringe every time he is on screen. I am in agreement that Booth and Brennan work family should know Booth would not just decide not to marry his sweetheart. Such brilliant stupid people. I think base on what Booth told Sweets he should have put two and two together. sweets even said that the two of them getting married could cause Palant to do more bad things

12. John says:

This show is beyond tired at this point. It’s died of exhaustion but nobody seems to have noticed.