Exclusive: Extended Walking Dead Sneak Peek Confirms Time Jump, Mass Casualties and Terrifying New Enemy That's 'From Inside!'

The Walking Dead Season 4Rick and his battle-weary society of survivors on The Walking Dead are about to get the last thing they need — a new freakin’ threat that is “not really walkers” nor is it “other people,” co-executive producer Denise Huth teases in the following extended preview of the AMC smash’s fourth season (bowing Sunday, Oct. 13). “The relative safety that they’ve created at the prison begins to fall apart.”

Um, if it’s not zombies, and it’s not humans… Then what the hell is it?!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Images and Scoop on The Walking Dead, Plus 44 Other Returning Favorites

“You can’t put your finger on where it’s going to come next,” adds EP Greg Nicotero, allowing only that “it’s from the inside.”

That ominous spoiler is but one of the many newsworthy nuggets dispensed in the four-minute video, which, in addition to featuring interviews with the cast and EPs, includes a generous amount of never-before-seen footage. Among the highlights:

VIDEO | Walking Dead DVD Exclusive: The Lost Season 3 Scene That Will Have Carol-Daryl Fans Swooning

* New showrunner Scott M. Gimple reveals the length of the time jump between Seasons 3 and 4.
* We get a first look at Carl interacting with his new age-appropriate friends.
* Michonne cracks a smile, and it’s directed at [spoiler].
* Carol forms a (presumably unaccredited) day school, featuring the popular class Knife Fighting for Self Defense.

Press PLAY below and then hit the comments with an answer to these Qs: What aspect of TWD S4 are you most looking forward to? And what’s the new threat?!

1. Rachel says:

PLEASE PLEASE make your video’a accessible to your iPhone users!! It makes me want to unlike you on Facebook, because every time you post a video, I click to come here & the video isn’t there. I’m a big fan of Bones, Walking Dead etc & there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to see what’s promised to us.

Thanks for anything you can do.

2. JWB says:

Looks decent. Hope it isn’t like the first part of season 2. The first season and the second part of season 2 were the best. Season 3 had its ups and downs. I think my favorite part of the show was when Rick was on his own in season 1.

3. katrina says:

Love Carol’s class! haha

4. wrstlgirl says:

I’m so ready, bring it :-)

5. The image on the front page is really bad. It makes it look like a comedy, not a horror show.

6. nana27 says:

can’t see it

7. Leah says:

For anyone who can never see these videos like me, they’re always on youtube.

8. tomcat76 says:

Karen and Tyreese? Noooooo I wanted Tyreese and Michonne :(

• PV says:

Combining this promo with the first one, it looks like someone Tyreese loves is going to die a particularly bloody death – and since Sonequa Martin-Green was promoted to series regular, it looks like we know who it is.

9. Funkychopsta says:

Doesn’t work on android either. Cmon guys you can do better in today’s connected mobile world.

10. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I know they say it’s NOT a walker nor human threat……………..but damn WHAT IS IT?!
    I still say that carl is going to be a problem after the END of last season and that new guy roy stark (that army medic.) he has some personal issues so………..idk whatever this threat is…………they’re all in danger.

• Alicia says:

I think it implies the prison is the problem. The lack of resources, the crumbling of the structure, etc. I think the prison is what they have to fight to stay afloat.

• ril says:

Sickness, no food, no resources, etc. Think about it, in our society, we are clean and that keeps us from getting sick. They have no healthy food, no cleaning supplies, and lack of sanitary conditions. It takes a long time to grow food. Where are they going to find enough food to feed all these new people?

• Dane Arreola says:

I think the “threat” from within is themselves, their mental health and sanity. I think the survivors may go truly insane.

11. Bull says:

So what is the new enemy? Animals?

12. Cheeky says:

Is the water contaminated? I got that feeling from the trailer before, but I guess we’ll see

13. Scott says:

I would say the “threat” that they are facing is disease, like a virus or bacteria that is spreading through the prison and they don’t know how it’s being transmitted. In the longer preview that was shown about a month ago Hershel said “go outside, you risk your life. You drink the water and you risk your life” so I think that is a reference to a sickness. In this preview it looks like at one point in time Rick is digging and uncovering a pipe, so maybe he is tracing the water supply as a possible source of the sickness. That would make sense as to how walkers are inside and attacking people in the prison suddenly. It’s not that they are being “let” in on purpose but that people are getting sick and dying quickly enough to turn and attack the survivors. They have no idea where the disease is coming from, how it’s being transmitted, who is carrying it, how to stop or prevent it or possibly even how to tell if someone has it if it is a sudden progression from feeling sick and death.

Just my thought anyway, but I’m possibly very wrong in that assumption. Who knows. I’m more interested and patiently waiting to find out just how the Governor makes his presence known and returns to the show in general.

• Mel says:

Good assessment Scott, and I completely agree. It’s not a stretch at all based on the amount of death and decay happening – Cholera, E.Coli, Salmonella, etc. are all easily explainable diseases. Can hardly wait!

14. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Just read your comment (scott) and i have a feeling that could be it. When the comic-con trailer 1st came out i did hear hershel saying that. if it turns out to be that….. YUP like i said in my comm. they’re all in danger!

15. Linda says:

OMG! I can’t wait till October!!!

16. Bitsy says:

Maybe because they are burying a lot of bodies instead of burning them their water supply and possibly the soil they are growing their food in is contaminated. They all seem to be digging a lot of things up in the preview and/or looking at the ground horrified.

17. Ryan West says:

I’m pretty sure it’s disease or old age that is the new ‘non-zombie’, ‘non-human’ threat.

18. Zathras says:

It seems pretty obvious that the “inside threat” is in fact people turning into zombies without dying first. In a 28 days later fashion, so to speak. Whether it comes from a poisoned water supply, malnutrition or bad dental hygiene is anecdotic at best.

Hell, we already know that the entire populaiton carry the zombie virus since the outbreak, so the next step comes naturaly : the virus mutates and people start developping symptoms of zombification without dying first. Therefore springing from within and without notice a whole new stream of flesh eating undead for Michonne to dispose of.

• Alan says:

nope. the writers have said recently in lots of different articles that they arent going to suddenly change the rules about the zombies like that.

19. Jess Beeby says:

not available in my countryy waaaaahhhht

20. Doppleganer says:

I agree with Scotts assessment. I’m betting on some sort of disease. I liked all of the seasons past shows. Some were better than others. I am looking forward to the new season.

21. Robert says:

I’m guessing the inside threat is boredom.

22. Theresa says:

Its the water. JMO. Maybe STD’s. I’m most looking forward to Rick and Daryl getting laid. And I don’t mean with each other. Season 3 was the best by far. I love the prison setting. I found S2 on the farm abit slow.

23. space chief says:

Spoiler…it’s a serial killer…not “humans” one psychopath loose amongst them…don’t any of you read the comics?! Geez, it couldn’t be more obvious

• Margie says:

@ space chief. I read the comics too. The show hasn’t been following the comics as much. If they have, half of the people alive would be dead by now and some people dead would be alive on the show. I like the idea of the water. They did have that problem at the farm with the walker in the well. I would also like to see them follow some of the comic story lines. I’d like to see some of the new the characters like Jeremiah.

24. rumour007 says:

Maybe the “threat” is them, their selves. I think one or more maybe going insane & it’s their mental state that threatens them.

25. Jennifer says:

I think Scott is onto something but I think it’s nuclear fallout. That could be what’s polluting the water and the air so it could be what Harsh was referring too. Hell,that could even be what’s killing people, radiation poisoning. The said fact is that if the world really did end like that and there was no one left to service the nuclear plants of the world that would be the scariest threat there is because they would eventually blow up and anyone in the radius would catch fallout.

26. Jennifer says:

*Hersh, sorry-autocorrect

27. Blake Davis says:

Yeah what could it be

28. Reblogged this on HORROR BOOM and commented:
    Yeah, if it’s not zombies, or other people, what is it? Running out of food? That would eventually land in the category of ‘other people’, (Cannibalism gets pretty intense in the comics). What the hell is it? Fleas? Ugh, your guess is as good as ours. Anyway, check out the sneak peek!

• PV says:

I always thought it might be weather that is the non-zombie threat (tornado, hurricane), but I think a lot of the suggestions on here are really good. I hope it’s not an illness though – depending on what it is, without proper medical treatment, chances of survival are very slim. Couple that with their already-decreased life expectancy, and the show would be over pretty quickly, hehe.

29. Max says:

OOH MYY ! I’m so afraid for Carol. If she dies, I think I’ll cry !

30. Blakethesnake says:

Since rick bout went crazy seeing his dead wife and Shane, then talking to her on the phone and his son already looks out of it cause he enjoyed shooting that other kid trying to hand him the shotgun, the looks and the way they act now it wont be long till they snap just like the Guy he gave the radio to he lost his mind to. So I think they all will go crazy. Being in that prison ain’t helping either.

31. Henry says:

Well mabe the new guy is crazy in the preview you see him washing blood of his hands quickly Hershel ment that if you go outside to scavenge it better be worth it becuse there are a lot more walkers now and there more aggressive somone unhooked the water hose from the stream and carol went to hook it back up so water can flow to them agen so if somone unhooked it then it whould put that person in danger that hooks it back up she just about gets eaten by walkers doing it somone also put dead rats near the fence to build up walkers to push the fence dowen seems like they don’t care if they did and wants everyone ells to die with them mabe it’s a inmate hiding that they don’t know about and he w as a murderer before he went to prison and he slipped in with the new comers unnoticed are mabe it’s Carl mice whould run away from somthing like fallout are a bad virus so they chould have ran by fence and walkers clawed them to death sense they chouldt pull them though the fence if somone put them there the walkers whould have pulled them though the fence to eat right? So if they were put there why didn’t the walkers bend dowen and pull then though the fence? Unless they didn’t see them mabe they can smell them many walkers can smell fare away becuse why whould there be so meny walkers by the prison it’s not like they people are being so loud to lure them in so the walkers have to have a sense of smell still I remember in season one a walker smelled rick when he was covred in guts so walkers must seem to be able to smell long dectinces becuse the prison is way off the road surrounded by forest there are sooooooo meny questions I hope the questions will be answered this October

32. Henry says:

Has people forgot about the helicopter seen two times? It accadently lured walkers to the farm iam guessing army base of survivors and they hear a recording in the car on the radio

• xK says:

There was the helicopter that crash landed in season 3, where the Governor swooped in and ultimately wiped out the soldiers. While there could be another helicopter, that might be the one that the authors were using in the other scenes.