Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on Bones, SOA, NCIS: LA, Under the Dome, Vampire Diaries and More

blog_aa_9.10.13Got a scoop request? An anonymous tip you’re dying to share? Send any/all of the above to askausiello@tvline.com

Question: Did you watch the Revenge premiere yet? I’m dying to know what you thought. —Jodi
Ausiello: I did watch it, and my reaction will be featured exclusively in next week’s Season 3 premiere of Spoiler Alert! (the talent bookers on that show are crazy competitive with their scoops). But I can go ahead and tell you now that Revenge‘s post-Mike Kelley era gets off to a mostly solid start. It’s far from a disaster. It’s also not quite a home run. Kim Roots already teased some of the episode’s juicier developments, one of which I’ll confirm: Victoria’s relationship with her son Patrick is Fifty Shades of Not OK.

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Pics and Scoops on 45 Returning Favorites

Question: We’ve seen NCIS: LA scoops about Deeks, Kensi, Sam and Callen, but what about Michelle? Girlfriend was left hanging out a window! –Helen
Ausiello: We’ve watched the Season 5 premiere (airing Sept. 24), and most simply said: Do not underestimate Sam’s wife. By any stretch. And on a semi-related note: motorcycle chase!

SurburgatoryQuestion: Any scoop on Suburgatory? —Latifah
Ausiello: Tessa is going to join a band fronted by a conspicuously charismatic female singer named Caris. But there’s a twist, and I want to tell you what it is so bad. Seriously, the secret is killing me. This is me right now.

Question: With Under the Dome being renewed for a second season, does this mean we won’t discover who or what’s behind the dome? –Glenn
Ausiello: Well, that’s not exactly what the renewal means. Previewing Monday’s season finale, Dean “Big Jim” Norris told Matt Mitovich, “You’re going to learn a lot about the Dome. It’s all very satisfying and it will make you go, ‘Oh, wow. OK, how are they going to play that out in Season 2?’ It sets up for a great second season.” Looking even further down the line, Norris let slip with this teaser for the eventual series finale: “There is a final ending for Under the Dome that is different than the book. And when it was pitched to Stephen King, he said, ‘Wow. I wish I’d thought of that.'”

Question: Do you have any new scoops for Chicago Fire? I’m especially interested in what’s next for Dawson and Mills. Is there any hope for them to get back together? —Máté
Ausiello:
They’re done. As in stick-a-fork-in-them done. “They’re over in terms of they don’t get back together,” confirms EP Danielle Gelber. “But there’s still underlying feelings of a difficult breakup that we will play inter-personally between them. And we’ll watch them both become involved with other people.”

RELATED | Fall TV: Your Handy Calendar of 100+ Season and Series Premiere Dates

Question: You’re my source for all things TV-related. And with 30 new shows premiering this season, I was wondering if you could bottom-line it for me. What are the best new shows to watch? I totally trust your judgment and have relied on your picks in previous years, so I was hoping that you could do the same for us this year. —Holly
Ausiello: OK, here goes nothing — my five favorite new fall series (in no particular order) are…

mastersBrooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox): The best new comedy of the fall also boasts the funniest new ensemble. Not a weak link in the bunch.
Hostages (CBS): Taut. Suspenseful. Unpredictable. And Toni Collette at her badass best.
Masters of Sex (Showtime): Flawlessly executed and thoroughly engrossing, it’s easily my favorite pilot of the year. Lizzy Caplan is a revelation.
Trophy Wife (ABC): I really didn’t want to like any of ABC’s new comedies out of respect for Happy Endings, but, dammit, this show has one of the highest concentrations of laughs this fall. It also has the makings of a classic rivalry between Malin Akerman and Marcia Gay Harden.
Sleepy Hollow (Fox): I came for the mythology, I’m staying for the chemistry between leads Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie. There will be a lot of people boarding this ‘ship.

Question: What’s new on the Walking Dead front? I’d love something on Daryl and Carol. —Jeff
Ausiello: They’re going to face “some really intense, scary, very detail-oriented zombies” in Season 4, teases series creator Robert Kirkman. “More so than anything you’ve seen thus far.” However, don’t look for Dead‘s walkers to evolve into World War Z-caliber sprinters. “As far as changing their methods or behavior or evolving in any kind of major way, that’s really just not the point of the show,” he maintains. “The show is about these characters. And the zombies are present and they will always be a threat, but the show isn’t really about these creatures evolving into something new.”

RELATED | The Walking Dead — Is [Spoiler] Leaving the Show?

Question: I’m so excited about season 5 of The Vampire Diaries! In the new promo, there was moment where it seemed like Stefan was flirting with Katherine. Now that Elena is with Damon, does this mean that Stefan has his eyes on Katherine? —Rashad
Ausiello: Actually, if you caught the finale, it means Silas has eyes for Katherine. But trust me when I say, his intentions with the now-human rabble-rouser are far from amorous.

Question: I’ll take what I can get on Bones. Maybe something on Pelant’s demise? Or the undercover episode? —Amelia
Ausiello: Undercover episode it is! As we reported, the cheeky hour — airing Sept. 23 — finds Booth and Brennan going undercover as their infamous alters Tony and Rox. Their destination: A couples retreat. “There’s a sweat lodge, greasy outfits, a lot of velour, and a few ‘How you doin’s,'” previews David Boreanaz with a laugh. “It’s a really fun episode.”

Question: Does Bones‘ wedding episode have a title? —Jeremy
Ausiello: It does! [Crickets] Oh, you want me to tell you what the title is. I get how this works now. Booth and Brennan’s nups-themed installment is called, “The Woman in White.” Speaking of the Wedding of the Year, Boreanaz says it will feature the return of some “old faces” and a musical interlude by occasional guest star Cyndi Lauper. He also promises that sparks will fly. There will literally be flying sparks. I’M TALKING ABOUT A FIRE! “I do know something burns down, so that could be bad,” he cryptically teases. “And it’s not [Booth]‘s fault!”

"Boardwalk Empire" Season Four New York PremiereQuestion: Please tell me you have something about Margaret’s whereabouts this season on Boardwalk Empire. Kelly Macdonald is still in the credits yet her character wasn’t in Sunday’s premiere. Anything? —Michael
Ausiello: She’s not in Episode 2 either. Beyond that, my lips are sealed — although you can probably glean something from the fact that Macdonald attended the show’s big NY premiere last week (see photo, right). And the opening credits thing is also a pretty big tip off.

Question: Any Castiel-centric Supernatural scoop? —Craig
Ausiello: I feel obligated to tell you that I’m hearing the Oct. 15 episode is 100 percent Cas-free. PUT DOWN THE GUN AND BACK AWAY FROM THE MESSENGER. (Full disclosure: I originally said Cas was missing from the Oct. 8 opener, which is incorrect. He’s totally in the premiere. It’s the second episode he’s missing from. I’m human! I make mistakes! I even bleed!)

RELATED | Supernatural Spin-Off Premise Revealed!

Question: Revolution‘s Sebastian Monroe and Rachel Matheson have been burning up my screen in every scene they’ve been in, since their little heart-to-heart talk in that bunker. Do you know if we will get to see some of that tension play out this season? —Grace
Ausiello: Before Bass could ever possibly reunite in any way with Rachel, he’ll have to first dodge several bullets, literal and proverbial, coming from her daughter Charlie! In fact, if Bass/Rachel is your agenda, you might be “uncomfortable” with the scenes the former general shares with the younger Ms. Matheson — in close confines — in Episode 2.

soaQuestion: I am getting so excited for Sons of Anarchy! Any news on Jax, Tara, Gemma, Juice or Clay? —Andrea
Ausiello: They’re in for 13 episodes of pure misery. “This season more than any other season, in my humble opinion, is the saddest motherf—ing season in the history of television,” declares co-star Kim Coates (Tig). “It’s heavy… [We had] Gemma in Season 2 getting raped; Season 3 had the whole Irish drama; Season 4, Juice hanged himself and Clay beat up Gemma; Season 5 with Tig and his daughter — and Opie!. Every season has topped the last, and this one I’m sure will do the same. It’s violent.”

Question: Please tell me we won’t have to endure another significant loss on Downton Abbey this season. I’ve had enough loss! —Christy
Ausiello: So has Michelle Dockery. In fact, Abbey‘s leading lady doesn’t think the show can sustain another major departure (which leads me to believe there won’t be one anytime soon). “It has to remain as the ensemble, otherwise I don’t think we can keep going,” she tells TVLine. “The core reason for the show’s success is that it’s a huge ensemble of such great characters. It was [one thing to lose] Sybil and Matthew. But any more of that, I think it will start to falter.”

That’s a wrap! Please send questions, comments, and anonymous tips to askausiello@tvline.com. (Additional reporting by Meg Masters and Vlada Gelman)

1. Helen says:

So excited for the wedding on Bones! AND Pelant’s Demise. Season 9 Here we go!:)

2. kate says:

I love Dean Norris, it’s really too bad Under the Dome got so ridiculous I had to be done with it. It was fun watching him play a bad guy.

• lz says:

I’m with you. I had to quit but my husband still watches, so sometimes I’m in the room (reading or surfing) while it’s on. It gets worse each week. Even he admits it’s terrible. We laugh at moments that aren’t meant to be funny. It’s just so bad.

• Ducky says:

Dome was originally planned as a limited mini-series but became popular so CBS did a turnaround in the middle of the series and made it so convoluted that they had to throw all logic out the window that it no longer makes sense in order to make it last a second (third? fourth?) season.

Fighting over a working well water one episode because the town’s water supply was in danger of running out and the next Big Jim is on a lake so large he needs a powerboat to cross it. Big Jim had to go and kill the well owner who he had cross words before instead of putting a hose in the lake and pumping the water into town.

The town folks were rioting in the streets over the food in the supermarket before they realize they are living in farm country with cows, chickens, corn and other crops.

Somewhere in those episodes is where I think CBS changed the scripts from ending in a few weeks to continue the series into the next season.

That’s where they lost me as a viewer.

• Amy says:

To be fair, I believe the issue with the lake water was to do with it being contaminated. Dead fish floating and all that.

• johnhelvete says:

There are several interviews online before the first episode aired where the writers talk about wanting to do more than one season of the show. There were also several reviews/articles that made the show seem like a limited one time mini-series. At least CBS renewed the show after the 5th or 6th episode, allowing a viewer like you a chance to stop watching. They could have renewed it after the end of the season.

• Travis says:

I still like the show, but Monday’s episode where they kept saying “the dome came down two weeks ago”, I feel the same way you do…worrying about, food, water and surviving and it’s only been two weeks???

• Alex says:

PLEASE, almost anything has the potential to become a long-term series if the ratings are any good. TPTB at UTD definitely had ideas for future seasons before the show even started airing. It’s very naive to think otherwise.

3. Stef says:

I was very disappointed with Suburgatory last season…and even more disappointed now that I know Mr. Wolfe and Noah won’t be returning to the show.

• Marc says:

Suburgatory completely changed the tone of their show last season to the point where I didn’t recognize it at all. And I agree with you, how can Noah NOT return? He’s such an integral part of the show. His friendship with George, not to mention the fact that the majority of the laughs are contributed by him. For some reason, I think that this might be it’s last season.

• hatepickingscreennames says:

Me, too. Noah was my favorite character—he had the best one-liners and the BEST facial expressions EVER. REALLY going to miss him and Mr. Wolfe.

• Lou says:

No more Noah on Suburgatory!? He was the comic relief to George’s straight man. That’s lame!

4. Joe TV says:

I don’t know why Ausiello is being so secretive but I believe it’s all but confirmed that Kelly Macdonald (Margaret) on Boardwalk Empire will not be back for the first five episodes. I believe it’s to lend credulity to the end of season 3 where she claimed she had had enough of Nucky. However, she will be back in the latter half of the season as the story calls her back into play.

5. Ivy says:

I’m devastated by the absence of Castle spoilers. Just a little something… anything would be good. The promotional pictures that were released for the premiere may as well not have been released at all. Argh, I can’t take it much longer.

• Danyelle says:

For one, did you send in a question? Also I can understand why there is not much that can be said since we’re not supposed to know Beck’s decisions.

• april-ann says:

I actually think there’s been alot of Castle coverage here lately, and it’s all been very enjoyable. I loved the promotional pictures, but also I think we’ve been told many things about the upcoming season. Obviously we can’t be told everything, but we’ve been told alot.

6. Holly says:

Okay Mister Ausiello,

I’m taking your word for it and starting my list of new shows to watch this fall — Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox), Hostages (CBS), Masters of Sex (Showtime), Trophy Wife (ABC). We will see!

• Delirious says:

Damn, he only mentioned one of the shows I’m looking forward to in his top five… I hope it’s not because the others I wanna see are bad :/

And for the record, my (alphabetical) list is: Almost Human, Blacklist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Crazy Ones, Intelligence, Ironside, S.H.I.E.L.D., Michael J Fox Show, Wonderland, Tomorrow People, Us & Them. And on a lesser grade (meaning, I’ll give the pilot a watch): The 100, Dads, Enlisted, Goldbergs, Mind Games, Mom, Undateable,

• Martoukian says:

I was a little surprised he likes Sleepy Hollow, since most reviewers have said it is terrible. But the lead is pretty hot, so I was thinking about giving it a go.

• Sharantyr says:

Everything I’ve heard has been overwhelmingly positive. It’s made several sites “best new shows” list, so I’m not sure where you are getting “most reviewers have said it is terrible”.

• Marsha Hurst says:

I watched Sleepy Hollow last night. It was TERRIFIC!!!! This an old story brought to life. I have been waiting almost all summer for it and I was literally on the edge of my couch from start to finish!! There are a lot of shows I love but they are all mysteries this is the first edgy, horror, present day, 300yr old mystery, all tied up together and it works. It is fast paced with the past interacting well with the present. I am no critic but, I know what I like and it sure worked for me!

• Sara says:

I take what reviewers say with a grain of salt. They hated Beauty and the Beast too, but that show got better with each episode.

• Delirious says:

Uh… It seems I somehow completely overlooked the Sleepy Hollow synopsis & trailer… I thought it was just a series based on the original story. I had no idea it had back-then’s Ichabod in our current time, and all that. Just watched the trailer, and even tho the premise and the apparent theme seems completely surreal/preposterous/ridiculous, it actually looks good, so I’m adding it to my watchlist.

• gdv says:

I can already tell I’m going to like Brooklyn and Masters of Sex, but I’m surprised by the Trophy Wife recommendation. I watched the pilot On Demand (early) and thought it was pretty terrible. It had some ok moments, but it seemed like it was trying a little too hard to be a new Modern Family. It must get better after the pilot.

7. A Cas free episode? Music to my ears.

• Cheryl says:

A Castile free episode, and rightfully so, This show is about the brothers. Still Music to my ears too.

• Michele says:

It is about the brothers first but also about Cas second as it should be. Just sayin’! If it’s just about the boys period going on 9 years it would have gotten stale but instead it got a shot in the arm starting with Season 4 while keeping it mostly about the boys (as it should be) but allowing for someone else to mix it up a bit. I never hear people complaining too much about Bobby or Kevin Tran or Charlie so deal with it. Buffy the Vampire Slayer was mainly about Buffy but she had Giles, Xander and Willow to mix it up a bit and i never one doubted who it was really about and SPN figured that out. Even my friends who say the show needs to be about the boys and I say “so, Cas shouldn’t be there” and they say no, Cas needs to be there too and even if an episode is a bit Cas heavy they say he gets to shine sometimes as well.

8. Erica says:

What?? No Cas in 9×01? Ughh great.

• SB says:

I think Ausiello is confused; there are billions of photos of Misha filming for episode 1, and the new preview shows him with a character that is only in episode 1.

• Linda says:

Dang it. I for one was hoping he wouldn’t be but oh well, I’ll just ignore him like I have been for the last couple of seasons.

• Lou says:

Yeah, that would be stupid of the show. The cliffhanger of season 8 was all about Castiel and the angels. What a terrible premiere it would be without Cas. Must be a mistake.

• LisaMBri says:

Maybe he is being literal “Cas” won’t be in the episode, but Misha will be the newly human alterna-Cas like when he had amnesia and called himself “Emanuel”

• melissa says:

But tons of interviews have made a point of “Castiel” discovering how to be human. I don’t think they’ll be rehashing the Emmanuel storyline.

• jen says:

Man, I will be wicked pissed if Cas isn’t in the premiere. I hate getting screwed around- what happened to Cas and the angels was a huge cliffhanger last season. That’s what the first episode of the next season is supposed to do, resolve the cliffhangers (or at least start on them). We gotta find out about Sam and Cas, those are the two big question marks.

• SPNCastielLover says:

Seriously! What the heck! That’s the worst news I’ve heard in ages! I was so looking forward to seeing Cas in the first episode! He’s my favorite part of the show.

9. iMember says:

OH MY GOSH. Just give me the REVENGE premiere NOW! The thirst is reeeeal!

10. Jace says:

Your 5 picks for best shows seem good, the only one im not really interested in is Hostages, but the number 1 show im looking forward to is Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. Have you not seen it yet, or are the 5 shows just better?

11. Booky says:

I’m rather distressed to hear that Cas won’t be in the premiere… I was looking forward to it so much, particularly since the S9 promo looked so promising.

I guess here’s hoping he’s in the second episode, though this does dampen my enthusiasm for the premiere.

12. Alex says:

Re: Chicago Fire, I’m glad Dawson and Mills are done. They were just an awkward couple.

13. Beth says:

If it means Dawson will be involved with Casey I am all for it on Chicago Fire! I liked Mills in the beginning but he got on my nerves by the season finale.

14. DarkDefender says:

Still hoping to get an answer to my Orphan Black question.. When will it come back and give us some spoilers! :)

15. Kval14 says:

Wasn’t The Blacklist your favorite drama pilot? How did that not make your top 5?

16. fairlyoddangel says:

no cas? i thought there were pictures of misha filming on set? boo :(

17. CasisFamily says:

No Cas. No reason to watch.

Just more woobie sick suffering Super Special Sam and Dean saving him for the 454th time. Can we get some new material?

• Frances says:

Sam and Dean are the main characters so why shouldn’t be premiere be about them. And besides that, not watching because your favourite character isn’t in an episode is sad. There are plenty of great characters and storylines to enjoy on Supernatural.

• CasisFamily says:

Because there is nothing exciting about Sam and Dean anymore. We’re just rehashing the exact same material. Somethings wrong with Sam. Dean saves him. Dean’s got a secret about Sam. Sam gets mad. Dean has to grovel and beg forgiveness. How many times do we have to keep doing this?

Cas is family. If Sam and Dean can only focus on each other and write Cas off so easily then doesn’t that kind of make them selfish jerks who only care about each other

At least with Cas we have a chance to see something different hopefully instead of the 9th version what’s wrong wtih Sam?

Shouldn’t Sam and Dean be concerned about Cas who’ve they’ve both said is important to them in the past?

Because I thought this was a show about family. One that wasn’t supposed to end with Blood.

• Cheryl says:

Supernatural is and always will be about love of family, the love between two brothers Sam and Dean. They are the heart of this show,its main focus is them,their relationship,journey and where the best of storytelling comes. The bond the boys share is what the show is about and Castile and all the other extra characters, even the Supernatural element itself is just back drop to the story of Sam and Dean. I am beyond estatic that we finally got a talented and professional showrunner in Jeremy Carver that remembers that and has utilized that great potential even greater than before.

• Lou says:

Misha is a regular now for a reason. Lots of people watch mostly for Cas, and have been for awhile. To me the brothers story got less interesting after Swan Song (which wrapped up their issues) and Cas’s story got more interesting. The best part of the finale was the surprising Cas/falling angels plot, followed by Crowley’s shocking semi-transformation. The brothers and their brotherly stuff was pretty been there/done that. Sam won’t die, we all know Dean will find a way to save him, yawn. We don’t know how Cas will react to being graceless, how Crowley will deal with being more in touch with his humanity, if Kevin will be angry that the boys didnt follow through with the hell gates after all he sacrificed, and how the fallen angels will react to their predicament. That is the stuff I’m looking forward to this season.

18. Francine says:

REALLY looking forward to Stefan getting a storyline on TVD that doesn’t revolve around him mooning over a girl who is not worth it. Please dont ruin the potential! And I’m surprised that you like Sleepy Hollow so much. I’m planning to watch it because its my type of show but I didn’t want to get my hopes up.

19. april-ann says:

Too bad Suburgatory was relegated to mid-season. It’s one of the best shows out there. Caris’ “relative” age is not mentioned. Could this “conspicuously charismatic female singer” be a relative? Hmm…

20. the girl says:

The pilot for Trophy Wife is available via ABC online, and I enjoyed it when I watched it earlier. Check it out. It’s no Happy Endings, but I’ll accept it.

21. mose says:

Er, no? I’m pretty sure Cas is in the premier and but not 9.02. It’d be kind of off-kilter to pick right up after S8 and then NOT show Cas.

22. That does not make sense at all that if Supernatural is picking up where it leaves off, Cas would be in the premiere. I think you have your information wrong. They filmed out of order. Please someone look into this because it is upsetting a lot of people.

23. alistaircrane says:

I am super-happy that Cas is NOT in the season premiere! I can’t stand him. Hopefully as a series regular he will only appear in a maximum of 13 episodes like he did as a regular in Seasons 5 and 6.

• Cheryl says:

I hope we get another 7 or 8 straight Castile free episodes like we did in Season 8. What a breath of fresh air that was and a nice flash back to seasons where Castiel and Angel storylines were not being forced in season after season keeping the show and the boys relationship and journey stagnant. Carver however being the smart and professional showrunner he is has managed to put the boys back as the focus of the show where they belong, while moving thier journey forward and still keep Castile in the show and an Angel storyline going.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. The show is at its best when it’s focusing on just the brothers. The angels have derailed my show. I still love it, but the first 3 (angel-free) seasons were the best.

• Lou says:

Nah, seasons 4 and 5 were the best. 3 was pretty good, too, because back then you really did not know how Dean and Sam would react to the other dying. Now its so old hat its almost comical. I don’t think the show would’ve run for 9 seasons without the “angel stuff” that goosed the ratings.

24. Dee says:

Music to my ears that that baby in a trench coat will not be on. That way we can focus on Sam and Dean.

25. Please remove the Supernatural “spoiler”, as it’s wrong. Castiel WILL be in episode 901. Multiple set photos prove that.

Honestly, we very rarely get decent spoilers from you guys, when you choose to talk about SPN it’s either something we already know, or crap, like this.

26. long time fan says:

Cas will be in 9×01 but not 9×02. I love the boys and have been a long time fan for 8yrs now but even my family and I are getting sick of manservant Dean and always sick Sam. That is nothing new same old same old. S7 was all about the boys and Cas was only in 1-4 episodes but that season failed. Like how many times can fans watch the same thing over and over again. One brother lies to the other brother then other brother gets pissed then brother leaves then brothers make up. I am not hating on the Sam and Dean I love them but my family and I enjoy watching Cas and other new characters as long as they have a good story line. Everyone has their right to like what character they chose but when fans take it to another level well that’s just wrong.

• alistaircrane says:

Maybe Castiel will get his own spinoff. Then you freaky Cas fans can stop watching my show and go away!

• eaksoy says:

You do realize that us “freaky Cas fans” are the reasons the ratings are moderately good. For someone who presumably loves the show, you sure do not want people watching it.

• Lou says:

What’s so freaky about being a Cas fan? He’s a great character played by a great actor. It would be freaky if he didnt have fans.

• Freaky Cas Fan says:

Sorry to tell you, but the show doesn’t just belong to you. What a poor attitude you have. If people like you are the opposite of us freaky Cas fans, then I’m thrilled to be a freaky Cas fan. Better freaky than rude and inconsiderate.

27. Kate says:

I’m surprised Sleepy Hollow is among his top 5. It looked like a hate-watch show for sure (although the hot British guy meant I was always going to try it). Maybe it will actually be worth watching!

28. Team free will says:

Oh you guys are wrong Cas is in 9×01 but not 9×02. YES!!!

29. A.B. says:

Opie….No not Opie. Damn you Sutter I’m still mad.

30. Mandy says:

Good to know about the Supernatural season premiere! I won’t watch it then–it sounds like a rehash of Season 2, and there are too many other good original shows I should catch. The Cas episodes seem to be the best eps though, so I will catch the ones he’s in.

• RLT says:

One of my sisters definitely agrees with you. She is not a Supernatural fan, she is just a Castiel fan. She only watches the Castiel episodes, and the show has such a simple plot that she can drop in and out and discuss the show with no problems. Good thing for newbie fans, little boring for old timers.
      So to be honest I’m almost at that point myself. Plus Sam and Dean have the same daddy issues and other problems they had from the beginning. I really don’t think there’s anything more to know about them. Maybe their ancestors, the Men of Letters, but not them and I don’t know, I just find it hard to care about them anymore. Castiel is constantly changing though, screwing up and fixing things and just generally doing something different, which makes his episodes inherently interesting.

• Kara says:

I see comments like this and I have to wonder. I think last season showed the lack of Cas makes no difference to the ratings. The highest rated seasons were before s 4 and Cas’s intro to the show. So boycott all you want, the show will do just fine with its loyal fan base with or with out Cas and his fair weather fans.

And from my pov s2 was the best, so I say if this season is a rehash, bring it on.

• Factcheck says:

Well you’re obviously very ignorant about ratings Kara. Last season the highest rated episodes either had Castiel, or Charley. Highest in YEARS. And the lowest just had Sam and Dean. Furthermore season seven, which was almost completely devoid of Castiel and just focused on Sam and Dean, had all time low ratings. So… you’re wrong. Castiel fans obviously do matter. Even if they didn’t, Castiel fans are still fans. The fans that where here in the early seasons and gave those nice numbers? They tried the show, they grew bored, they left. They’re gone. The show will never see those numbers again, especially not rehashing the same old same old. Season seven proved that.

• CasisFamily says:

Actually s4 had one of the highestest ratings on the CW. Not to mention ep 4.01 with the introduction of Castiel was almost 4 million, the highest ratings on the CW. S7 had some of the lowest and Cas was gone for most of it.

• Freaky Cas Fan says:

I enjoy most of the episodes, but the ones with Castiel are definitely the best episodes for me as well.

31. Anna says:

Very disappointed that Castiel won’t be in the season premiere. I was hoping he would be, but it doesn’t change my plan to watch only the episodes with Cas in them, watching the brothers interact with no one but each other and keep things from each other is quite boring and has been for several seasons. I’ll be back when Cas is, he’s the reason I watch this predictable and repetitive show.

32. I watched the 3 comedies that ABC put on HULU. I was pleasantly surprised at how funny The Goldbergs was, Back in the Game was cute, I did not like Trophy Wife at all. I really wanted to like it.

33. lilu says:

thanks for the recommendied the new shows! I def will check them out!
    IN AUSIELLO WE TRUST!!!

34. Kate'shomesick says:

I’m not happy at all about Dawson and Mills. I loved the developement of their relationship. It seemed to be worth fighting for. Realistically they would break up for some time but definitely get back together later. Now it seems they are taking the Dawson-Casey route. I actually really liked Casey with Hallie. Killing her might have been effective for the storyline but I found it too (hollywood-)dramatic in some way. So. I’m not happy about this at all. They are transferring Mills to the police offspring anyways, right? He was one of my favourite characters…

35. Meh says:

I watched the Trophy Wife pilot and was really disappointed. The promo looked funny, but the pilot itself wasn’t. I gave up after 12 minutes.

36. Sunny says:

Tvline should remove that supernatural “spoiler”, since Cas IS in the premiere. False information simply causes unnecessary drama.
    Spn filmed the first two episodes out of order- the second episode, which has no Cas, was filmed first. There are tons of set photos of Misha filming the premiere episode, plus the sneak peek makes it obvious Cas is in it.

37. Huh?? Supernatural Cas-free??? How’s that possible if they’ll keep going from where they stopped on season 8??? And Jim Michaels, I think, conffirmed Cas is on 9.01!!!

38. eaksoy says:

Meh not watching the Supernatural premiere than. I’ll just read about what happened online, that’ll give me the same level of excitement. Same old same old.

39. Lisa says:

I am really hoping that the fans are correct and Mr. Aussiello is mistaken about Cas not being in the season premiere of Supernatural. I know he, unfortunately, isn’t in every episode of the show (but yay for him being in more episodes this season! and maybe we’ll get even more if there is a Season 9), but anyways I was really expecting him to be in the first episode at least! I never love the episodes without Castiel quite as much as I adore the Cas-heavy episodes. Dean and Sam are awesome and I love their brotherly bond, but it is the (former angel) warrior and the profound bond that keep me coming back and staying addicted to this show now!

40. Dana says:

With the new season starting this week any scoop on Haven?

41. Kara says:

I used to be a fan of Cas but I’m over all this drama. So what if he is absent in one episode, I welcome his absence. I started the show a fan of Sam and Dean and watch for the brothers. I welcome other characters to the show, but at the end of the day this is the Sam and Dean show. Show did great before Cas and will do just fine after Cas is gone.

Now if the show were to finally explore a friendship between Sam and Cas that might be interesting. Other than that I’m afraid Cas has worn out his welcome from my pov.

• chanclas says:

yeah season 7 showed how the show can go back to just the brothers and do just fine in both ratings and demos. i don’t know why tptb didn’t learn. the numbers don’t lie.

• Lou says:

Season 7 was a big fail. The show was hemorrhaging viewers. Season 8 is widely considered to be something of a creative renaissance for the show, and not only did they bring back the angels and Cas, they also expanded the mythology with the Men of Letters and didnt kill off any of the more prominent supporting characters like Charlie and Kevin and even Crowley. I will never understand the campaign by this vocal minority to downsize the cast and decrease the quality of the show. Who cares if there are people who are mostly Sam fans or Dean fans or Cas fans or Kevin fans or Charlie fans or whatever. The more the merrier. Ensemble casts generally enhance rather than detract from the quality of the program, and I think that is the case with Supernatural. I mean, I can’t stand Garth, but the actor and character has fans and that’s fine. I don’t start a kill off Garth/bring back Bobby campaign because Garth adds something to the show that other people appreciate.

• Lisa says:

Thanks for the update on Castiel! I’m so relieved and happy that he WILL be in the premiere episode for Supernatural Season 9! I wish Cas could be in ALL the episodes! Love him so much. He, Dean, and Sam are the best trio ever. As with most of my friends and people I talk to about SPN, Seasons 4 and 5 were absolutely my favorite seasons so far of Supernatural and Season 7 usually ranks on the bottom for all of us, but Season 8 was a big improvement and we’re all looking forward to more Cas in Season 9 now!Team Free Will, Castiel, and Dean/Cas are the best parts of the show for me!

Also a big thank you to Craig for asking for Castiel-centric scoop!

• Erica says:

Is this a joke? Season 7 almost killed Supernatural for good. It had the absolute worst ratings and reviews of any season.

• chanclas says:

how anyone could think i was serious about season 7’s flop numbers being positive just shows how out there some “brothers only” can be lo

• CasisFamily says:

Is your real problem with Cas that he likes Dean better?

42. Beryl says:

That is, if you don’t consider Mrs. O’Brien’s departure a loss. It’s a loss for me.

43. Dear Sooper Scooper:
    – Lovely update per usual. Looking forward to Bones premier big time.
    – Thanks for confirming Sleepy Hollow is worth a look. I’m going to be completely honest here – this already looks like a guilty pleasure because of the pretty star. I intend to swim in the shallow end of the pool for this show.
    – Thanks for the heads up on SPN. I’m new to the series and fandom (and a little scared of it) so I just want to say THANK YOU for providing scoop. Have you seen the S9 preview? Alaina Huffman is totally rocking the red do. I can’t wait for Oct 8th. Bring me SPN in any form.

Which leads me to a request. Don’t you think a trip to Vancouver is warranted for you or Matt? The SPN folks would totally roll out the red carpet (or the Impala) for you I’m sure.

44. silverchex says:

So glad to hear Sleepy Hollow is one of your top picks! Can’t wait to see this one. I’m intrigued by not only the storyline but the leads definitely have the chemistry! Then add an apocalyptic premise with the past and present being weaved through the story… I’m caught!

45. Gail Trembley says:

I loved Under the Dome and am so happy to hear there will be a second season. Hopefully there will be even more than that. Could you keep me informed about the show?

46. Does your site have a contact page? I’m having a tough time
    locating it but, I’d like to send you an email. I’ve got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great website and I look forward to seeing
    it grow over time.