Fall TV Preview

How I Met Your Mother Final Season Premiere: A Curse, a Bear, a Locket Twist and 6 More Teases

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 SpoilersTVLine has met the mother — or, more accurately, we’ve seen How I Met Your Mother‘s one-hour season premiere (airing Sept. 23 at 8/7c), and we’re sharing some scoop to celebrate.

How will the mom fare when she’s introduced to a member of the group? Will Ted and his locket/Robin fixation ruin the wedding? And what’s up with the big, fuzzy surprise Barney has in store? Read on for intel on those questions and more!

PHOTOS | Fall TV Spoiler Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop on How I Met Your Mother and 44 Other Returning Faves

Ted’s quest to give Robin her locket takes some unexpected twists. He really has had quite a week.

Robin’s flower girls are going to look so cute next to the ring bear. Yes, you read that right. Ring bear.

Remember when Wayne Brady told TVLine he would be singing a little Kenny Rogers/Dolly Parton tune? First, our song guess was spot-on. Second, he’ll be singing both parts, split-personality-style. On a related note, prepare to see a lot more of Barney’s bro James this season and to be a little heartbroken — and scared for Barney and Robin — when he reveals why he’s getting divorced.

As you may have glimpsed from the newest HIMYM promo below, Lily is indeed the first person to meet the mother (sorry, she still has no name), and the newbie provides Ted’s distraught pal with some much-needed comfort and some delicious cookies. Even though there’s biting involved at one point, we’re willing to bet she’s got the Lily stamp of approval.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 — Anna Camp Replaces Ellie Kemper

Fans will learn that the mom shares some of Ted’s very dorky road-trip tendencies.

Barney and Robin realize that by bringing together their wacky relatives, they’ve invited a whole cavalcade of wild cards that could ruin their wedding. That rogues gallery includes their friends Ted, who gets a lot of “poor, single you” pity from Roger Bart’s hotel worker, a boozy Lily and a stranded Marshall.

Speaking of Marshall, after he and Sherri Shepherd’s very angry plane passenger get booted from their flight, his quest to get back to New York involves an environmentalist’s worst nightmare.

PHOTOS | Farewell, How I Met Your Mother: 13 Clue-Filled Episodes To Watch Before the Final Season

A flashback to 1807 Moscow, featuring both Neil Patrick Harris and Brady, reveals the troubling (and hilarious) story of the Stinson Curse.

HIMYM fans, what are you most looking forward to seeing? Hit the comments with your thoughts!

Comments (24)

• SO excited for this season to start and really hoping it lives up to the expectations!

Comment by Katie – September 10, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Cristin Milioti looks so much like Alyson Hannigan. I know it’s been observed before, just had to point it out again.

Comment by lariet50 – September 10, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wish I could get past it. I’m so put off by it I haven’t watched any reruns since the big reveal. Just a lack of interest on my part now I guess. Ted and the mother haven’t even been seen together onscreen yet and I can’t shake the strong brother/sister vibe I’m getting from them. In order to shake it, I would have to convince myself that there has always been a strong sexual chemistry between Ted and Lily, and I don’t think that’s ever going to happen.

Comment by april-ann – September 10, 2013 05:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they’d bring Robin’s sister back for the finale, but I bet the likelihood of that happening is so slim because Lucy Hale is a hot property these days to be a recurring character for a whole season, which is what they’d probably do since she’s her sister.

Comment by Amy – September 10, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Even if she pops up in three or four episodes, it would be nice. Failing that, even a one episode cameo where she calls and apologizes for not being able to make it to the wedding would be nice.

Comment by FatherOctavian – September 10, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even just one episode would be good…

Comment by Azerty – September 10, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is she really that hot of a property? She’s on an ABC Family show, does she do anything else? Not even that recognizable of a name to most people who don’t watch ABC Family.

Comment by Dave – September 10, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • PLL broke new ground this summer when it became the most watched show with women 18-49. It’s been the most watched show for women 12-34 for years before that. And she is one of the most recognizable faces of that franchise. So yes, I’m going with she is a hot property right now.

Comment by twilight123 – September 10, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OK, keeping the Mother’s name as another mystery that’ll take long to unravel is incredibly stupid.

Comment by c – September 10, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be like the end of SATC. “Oh, her name is Mary/Amy/Samantha/Random Meaningless Name? Okay.”

Comment by anon – September 10, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very excited, looking forward to getting to know the mother, I like what I’ve read so far.

Comment by Mike R. – September 10, 2013 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This all looks great this season will be better than I thought it would be.

Comment by Shar – September 10, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The mother’s name was given by Ted in the first season episode where he, Robin & Barney end up at the Lusty Leopard for the surprisingly good buffet. At the end of that episode Ted says and that is how I met your mother, refering to a stripped that approached him and gave her real name. The kid’s reaction to me of total shock would seem to indicate that is the mother’s name, which I cannot recall here.

Comment by Chris – September 10, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it was Tracy.

Comment by Jaye – September 10, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • for the love of fairy godmothers can people stop insisting the name absolutely has to be Tracy? the stripper gave Ted a fake name right before she said Tracy, the kids probably assumed it was another fake name! duh. or maybe they were just so shocked by the idea their mother was a stripper they weren’t thinking about the name.

Comment by Stacey – September 10, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Just how close is the engaged couple? Closer than either Barney or Robin might like.”

Is anyone else thinking that they’re related (in a very distant way, hopefully)? Wasn’t Barney’s biological grandmother Canadian?

Comment by gdv – September 10, 2013 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I had this feeling already two years ago. And this might be a serious issue….As we dont know Robins mum everything could be possible

Comment by robertkrasser – September 13, 2013 02:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I despise Sherri Shepard so much that i am fast forwarding any and all scenes with her. And will skip this season all together if she is on too much. How they can cast some as obnoxious and unlikeable as her is beyond me. Way to ruin the final series with extraneous characters getting too much air time when it should be the core and the mother.

Comment by Kc – September 10, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I guess you didn’t like her on 30 rock either? I’m willing to give her a chance.

Comment by Mike R. – September 10, 2013 06:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And isn’t she a homophobe, too?

Comment by Mikael – September 11, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great scoop about the final season. I can’t wait to see the season premiere.

Comment by Joey – September 10, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really like the promo-trailers that the HIMYM team have been showing on CBS, online, etc. Very nicely done – very classy. A good way to start off this farewell season.
    Also, the HIMYM cast was just on the cover of Entertainment magazine. A good story inside as well. Great to see the cast and crew getting a nice final season send-off as they start up season 9.

Comment by N tTVf – September 10, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think the mothers name is daisy. Reason being that episode 20 of season 9 is titled “daisy”. Plus Lilli’s name is also after a flower and robins name after a bird so it fits the pattern.

Comment by guest – October 3, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually Barney’s been the first one to meet the mother up to now.

Comment by Matías Ezequiel Bidinost – November 18, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post