The Million Second Quiz: Time Worth Spending?

The Million Second Quiz Series PremiereThe Million Second Quiz started ticking Monday at 8/7c on NBC, begging the inevitable question: Is the live game show’s get-rich-quick premise money in the bank?

American Idol’s Ryan Seacrest hosts the competition, in which contestants answer simple trivia questions while sitting in the “Money Chair.” Each second a player remains in the chair equals $10; therefore, the longer that correct answers keep your tush in the seat, the more riches you’ll amass.

The potential for Scrooge McDuck levels of wealth is high. $10 a second means a possible $36,000 each hour… and $864,000 for an entire day.

The whole competition unfolds over a million seconds — or 12 consecutive days and nights. Once a player is defeated by a challenger, the challenger assumes the seat and starts earning prize money. Those who’ve accumulated the most cash hang out in “Winners’ Row,” a cushy area (complete with pod-like beds!) where they hope not to be displaced by those who’ve achieved longer runs in the Money Chair.

When the million seconds are up, those who’ve stuck it out to the end cash in their winnings and battle for the grand prize — which the show touts as the largest in game-show history.

The general trivia questions have a scope and form similar to those on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire… but they’re far more timely, and the show moves a jillion times faster. NBC personalities, such as Voice coach Blake Shelton and America’s Got Talent judge Heidi Klum, pose questions via tape. And Quiz‘s set — a giant, open-air hourglass built atop a New York roof — heightens the game’s drama.

Quiz airs nightly at 8 pm through this Saturday, then picks up again next Monday through Wednesday, culminating with its two-hour finale on Thursday, Sept. 19 at 8 pm.

What did you think of The Million Second Quiz? Grade the premiere via the poll below, then back up your choice in the comments!

1. PB says:

It will be canceled a few episodes later. Ryan Seacrest needs to go away..

• Jill says:

Was so disappointed!! Show was confusing – with all the rules and Ryan Seacrest seemed unsure of why he was there. Spontenaneous visits to “line jumpers” seem very staged. How many of us have a typical dinner with their entire family in makeup? And what is with the pod?? Was very George Orwellian. I give this show 10 SECONDS….

2. David4 says:

Ryan Seacrest was horrible on this show, and that is saying something because the show is a mess!

He rather talk during the game, spending valuable seconds on stupid stuff that everyone has on their screens / TVs instead of asking the next question.

Plus the show also has no replay value at all! You can still watch and enjoy Family Feud from 40 years ago. But half of these questions were “This past weekend…”.

Just a waste.

• ZigZagZoey says:

AGREE! There are a lot of old game shows I love to watch, but this could never be one. And what about the people in the winner’s row….Do they get to watch the news and go online while there? Otherwise, they won’t know the answers to the recent questions. And YUCK. I am SO sick of Ryan Seacrest. This was produced exactly like Idol. The stupid crap meeting the contestants (I don’t CARE, actually I hate it), the constant commercials (thank you dvr). YUCK. I like the Chase much much better.

3. Guy says:

Well, I’ll be skipping this one, then.

4. Amanda says:

only enjoyable if you are playing the online game when it is on, otherwise its boring and confusing

5. dw says:

It seemed a bit complicated. Hopefully on future nights they won’t have to spend so much time explaining how it works and there will be more actual game play.

6. Kate says:

Not a big Ryan Seacrest fan, but I actually enjoyed the show (so far), But I won’t know if Im going to watch till the end until I’ve seen a few more episodes. Easy to watch though.

7. Is $10 million the biggest prize in game show history on The Million Second Quiz?

8. Chablis says:

I loved it.

9. Christopher says:

This ended up being one craptacular mess with anyone who tried to play this online at the same time. Not only did NBC have huge server errors where you couldn’t play, you also couldn’t even log into your account if you had been piling up points before tonight’s show if you were trying to be one of those line jumpers. As of now, the servers are STILL one giant disaster.

• Matt says:

I was actually able to play during the first live bout, but then the app started acting nuts, and like you were saying, I was not able to log into my account! I wouldn’t mind being on this show, but I have to agree the show needs to spend more time answering actual questions if they want more people at home to be involved.

10. Mike R. says:

Not enough actual quizzing, too much talk. Only really fun if you are playing along. I’ll give it another shot, but I was disappointed.

11. DanOregon says:

Pretty genius on the part of NBC to use a game show to promote themselves, their new shows, and other members of the Comcast family. I like that they’ve skewed more than a few questions to women, but yeah I get the sense that if you’ve seen one episode, you’ve seen them all.
    Still waiting for my phone call. (Hell yeah I qualified for a line jumper!) I hope they don’t show up at my door unannounced I’m not quite as perky and presentable right now as the people they picked tonight.
    Of course the biggest challenge is submitting the casting up once you qualify.

12. Mike Lightner says:

Looks like NBC is picking who will win. The final question which determined who would move into first place was a math/computer science question and one of the two contestants is a math/computer science major! Gee, guess who won? Surprise, surprise!! They’re rigging the show to ensure specific contestants do well. I won’t be watching.

13. RobM says:

two words…SERVER ERROR WTF

14. HAP says:

Waste of a hour. And Seacrest certainly doesn’t need the money.