Breaking Bad's Anna Gunn: 'I Was Unprepared for the Vitriolic Response Skyler Inspired'

Breaking Bad Backlash Death Threats Anna GunnSome Breaking Bad fans have disturbingly projected their attitudes toward Skyler onto her portrayer, to the point that actress Anna Gunn has taken steps to safeguard herself from violent threats.

RELATED | TVLine Performer of the Week, Honorable Mention: Anna Gunn

“At some point on the message boards, the character of Skyler seemed to drop out of the conversation, and people transferred their negative feelings directly to me,” Gunn shares in an op-ed contribution to the New York Times. “One post read: ‘Could somebody tell me where I can find Anna Gunn so I can kill her?’ Besides being frightened (and taking steps to ensure my safety), I was also astonished: how had disliking a character spiraled into homicidal rage at the actress playing her?”

Since meth-king Walter’s wife calls him on his lies both huge and small, “Skyler is, in a sense, his antagonist” and “might not be the show’s most popular character,” Gunn acknowledges. “But I was unprepared for the vitriolic response she inspired.”

“Could it be that they can’t stand a woman who won’t suffer silently or ‘stand by her man’? That they despise her because she won’t back down or give up?” she muses. “Or because she is, in fact, Walter’s equal?”

RELATED | Dean Norris Revisits Breaking Bad‘s Garage Showdown, Previews Hank/Jesse Face-Off

Gunn — who has twice (including this year) been Emmy-nominated for her performance as Skyler — says she ultimately realized that neither she nor her character are the problem but rather some viewers’ “perception of women and wives. Because Skyler didn’t conform to a comfortable ideal of the archetypical female, she had become … a measure of our attitudes toward gender.”

“I can’t say that I have enjoyed being the center of the storm of Skyler hate,” Gunn concludes. “But in the end, I’m glad that this discussion has happened, that it has taken place in public and that it has illuminated some of the dark and murky corners that we often ignore or pretend aren’t still there in our everyday lives.”

(Again, the full text of Gunn’s excellent, candid editorial can and should be read at NYTimes.com.)

PHOTO GALLERY | Breaking Bad’s 8 Most Bitchin’ and Bold Twists!

Have you ever found yourself among those wishing that Skyler was a bigger cheerleader for her drug lord hubby? Or do you appreciate that she has challenged Walt most every step of the way?

1. Jonathan says:

(1) I don’t understand why the character of Skyler would inspire so much hatred. (2) People are stupid and scary.

• I’ve never understood the Skylar hate. It doesn’t always surprise me when viewers make questionable choices about whom they root on. When Dexter Morgan is on the brink of being caught, I find myself hoping that someone, quickly, saves the day. I don’t, however, understand the Walter White love. WW is a fantastic character study but he is an awful human being, who broke bad a long time ago has hasn’t found his way back. Skylar has made some questionable choices and has willingly reaped the benefits of the drug sales, but she is not the villain of this show, not by a long-shot.

• BD says:

I think it’s the fact that Skyler cheated on Walt. No matter what you think of Walt, his goal is to take care of his family financially. He’s loyal…unless he thinks you are a threat to him.

Can’t explain the irrational hate towards Anna.

2. Stella says:

I love Skyler. She is such a strong female character. Anna Gunn is a fine actress and she doesn’t deserve the hate!

• Ben says:

This! I don’t understand it either. Walt should get a lot more hate, especially now that he’s a major asshole with his head up his ass.

3. Cate Amos says:

I’m glad that Skyler is a wife who is not afraid of going head-to-head with Walt occasionally. She is by far not my favorite character, but Gunn does a brilliant job on the show. It’s sad that people can’t seem to separate the artist from the work.

4. Dick Whitman says:

I disliked the character at first, but right now it’s my second favorite (Jesse being #1). I hope both of them live to dance on Walter’s grave.

5. Mik says:

Yeah, some TV viewers definitely have problems with strong female leads today. I’m happy she spoke out about this, because I have been wondering this for so long. I enjoy seeing women like Skyler (and Carmela from Sopranos and Betty from Mad Men, as the article also mentions) stand up to their husbands, but at the same time I’m also scared that they did, because I know they’ll instantly become hated by fans. I mean, I have never seen so many people dislike two characters, that were supposed to be protagonists, as Lori and Andrea from The Walking Dead. Sure, they made some bad decisions, but why did everyone want them to die because of it?

I hope Anna Gunn is OK. Someone saying she deserved to die is just crazy!

6. Ray says:

Taking things to that level of extreme is never, ever acceptable. Ever. Those people should be ashamed.

That said, I have never seen Skyler as Walt’s ‘equal’, and I have repeatedly thought she was the living incarnation of stupidity, most particularly during her ‘Am I under arrest’ tantrum last week. It’s not her opposing Walt that bugs me, it’s her (imo) complete idiocy in how she goes about it or anything else.

• tripoli says:

Well said. That’s pretty much how I feel about Skyler. She just goes about everything in such an aggravating, annoying manner.

• dee123 says:

Huh? And no male characters do that on the same show?

• Adriene says:

Exactly! Walt does stupid and annoying all the time, but Skyler is the idiot? Really? This is exactly the argument that I don’t understand.

• Ray says:

I didn’t say no male character does stupid or annoying things. The subject was specifically Skyler. My saying that Skyler does stupid things or behaves like an idiot has absolutely no bearing on whether or not other characters also do stupid things. Nor does it (for me) have any bearing whatsoever on how I feel about Anna Gunn as an actress or (more importantly) as a person. I do not like Skyler, the character, period. It has nothing to do with whether she opposes Walt or not. One could make the argument that if she really was opposing Walt, she wouldn’t have run away from Hank last week.

And yes, Skyler has proven time and time again that she is an idiot. Anna Gunn is a lovely actress and I wish her the best in everything. I just, personally, dislike Skyler. :)

7. Matt says:

I feel so incredibly bad for her. It’s a shame that many of us can’t distinguish fiction from reality.

8. Anna says:

It pains me that people are so damn stupid. If you hate her character so much it’s certainly because the actress is THAT good. Like that boy who plays King Joffrey on Game of Thrones. Anna Gunn is doing a great job on Breaking Bad!

9. Austin says:

If they want to blame Skyler for the storyline, blame the writers. But you can’t blame the innocent portrayer.

10. courts says:

Wow. I can’t even believe it. I pretty much find her the protagonist of the show anyway

11. Ty says:

The acting of both Jack Gleeson and Anna Gunn is simply amazing. Do I despise the antagonistic characters they portray, yes. Should that disgust carry over to the actors that portray them, absolutely not.

12. Daniel says:

For me, it is truly refreshing to view such a real character. Rather than being subservient and downtrodden, Skyler represents a strong female.e

13. Zoe says:

What the hell is wrong with people? Everything I’ve heard about this character makes her sound awesome. Why on earth would people be so cruel to not only her character, but the actress herself? Unbelievable.

14. kajar says:

Unfortunately, this type of thing is becoming more and more prevalent. I don’t know whether it’s just massive repressed rage that becomes directed against any perceived threat/slight or genuine lack of moral compass/common decency or what… but it’s getting really scary. People are creeping me the hell out. I wouldn’t want to be in the spotlight for nuthin’; people are so hateful towards celebrities (and each other) these days and there are some truly deranged sickos out there. And sadly, these types of people are usually the most vocal members of most fandoms (i.e. walking dead, NCIS, to name but two).

15. Jooshua says:

I HATE Skyler.. which is why I LOVE Anna Gunn.. she is a fantastic actress.

16. D says:

I’m so pleased she’s spoken out against this. It’s misogyny plain and simple. Nobody ever criticised Jesse when he stood up to Walt, and the fact they decided to project their hatred towards the actress as well is just craziness. I wish this was the only example of this behaviour, but it’s not.

• tripoli says:

Not the best comparison as Jesse has been a fan fave since the start, while Skyler has not. I get your point but I find it hard to get on board with it with characters on oppostie ends of the love/hate spectrum.

• Frimp says:

But that’s just it: gender plays in to who becomes a fan favorite.

You said above that part of why you don’t like Skyler is because she responds to situations in stupid ways. Yet you now defend Jesse, despite the fact that his behavior has been equally, if not more, stupid over the course of the show. For most of its duration, he has acted like a complete idiot (and been obnoxious, to boot). Yet he has been a favorite “since the start.”

So we have two characters who are both fools, but one is received positively, and the other is not — and the primary difference between them is gender.

And the one who is received negatively is female.

Explain how this is not misogyny.

• neha says:

Fine. Take ANYONE ELSE. Hank, Gus, Mike – all fan favorites, ALL antagonists to Walt. And, yet, you never see that type of hatred towards them. In fact, it’s more like “yay, this will be a fun battle to watch!”. It’s because people don’t like the fact that a woman can stand up to a powerful man. Even Vince Gilligan said that people who hate Skyler are misogynistic, plain and simple. If the brilliant writer behind BB is telling you that you’re a sexist pig, chances are you’re a sexist pig.

• Bob Lamm says:

Misogyny is exactly the right word. It’s the same old stupid sick misogynist culture.

17. redtempest666 says:

This is terrible. I know that viewers expressed strong dislike toward Skyler, but it is never acceptable to spew hatred, and certainly not violence toward the actor. I agree, kajar about not being in the spotlight at all. The Internet gives everyone a voice, and there are too many people who are losing a grip on reality and lacking in empathy.

18. Casey says:

I didn’t really like her in the beginning, but the character development in Breaking Bad is brilliant, and Skyler is no exception. I love her now. But whether you like the character or not, threatening the actress who portrays her is not okay. People need to learn to separate fiction from reality.

19. Jake says:

I was not a fan of skylar for the first season, but after the second and she called out alt on all of his lies– I fell in love with Anna gunn. She is simply a great actress, and I hope she wins best supporting actress

20. Off topic, but am I the only one who has a problem with TVLine copying and pasting 4/5 of the content on this page from the original article and they get ad revenue from this?

21. Thom says:

Pop culture is full of sexist nerds, unfortunately. There is nothing wrong with Skylar. There is nothing wrong with Betty from Mad Men, or Dany from Game of Thrones. Lori was a bad mother but Rick was just as bad; how can one praise him and yet condemn her? It’s a sad fact I’ve realized over the past year- if the main character of a show is a male, the females almost always get the short stick with the fans. It’s sad.

• Megan says:

You are absolutely right. I would also like to add that these harsh criticisms are absurd coming from most fans, as most viewers have never been in the fictional situations these characters have gone through. I don’t know what the hell I’d do in any of their situations, I could easily have a mental breakdown or lash out due to desperation. People expect these characters to make perfect decisions that will lead to the best outcome, when in truth, there often is no right thing to do. Everyone is flawed; people don’t always keep promises, or help others, or win battles. Just like the real world, that’s how life is. Drastic situations can make anyone change. When the stakes raise, you don’t always have the option to be perfect if you want to survive. These people do their best with what they are given and often they mess up, but it doesn’t make them bad or evil. It makes them human.

22. kate says:

I’ve never understood the vitriol at all. Honestly in the first season or two I kind of didn’t think much of her at all. Then when she knew her reaction was totally understandable and pretty quickly moved to helping him where I thought Walt was a total jerk to her. The only time I thought anything real negative was that she never took advantage of the position she had (she could have ratted him out at any time). Now that she is becoming Lady MacBeth I kind of find myself cheering for her in a way I sort of it did for Walt like the end of the first season.

23. Jose says:

Never liked her for some reason but then sleeping with Ted and wishing the father of her children to have cancer threw me into the “hate” skyler the character , but not the actress

• Kat says:

Are you implying that adultery is worse than cooking crystal meth?

• Jess says:

Not to mention MURDER! And putting his family in danger!

• neha says:

And, let’s not forget, Walt ALSO tried to commit adultery, with the high school principle. She just didn’t let him. Then, when you add in the dozen or so murders, cooking crystal meth, and poisoning a child…yes, Skyler is definitely the evil one. Also, Skyler only wanted him to die because she chose not to go with the alternative aka turning him in.

• Kat says:

Honestly, I think if your significant other has committed a horrible crime, then adultery is fair game.

• Malachi says:

Adultery is not okay. Divorce? Yes. But someone else’s bad behavior does not excuse your own. I am not saying that adultery is an equivalent sin — that would be silly. But your husband being a drug dealer is not causally related to falling on another fellow’s johnson.

• Malachi says:

I have never hated Anna, but Skyler? Never liked her in seasons 1 and 2, felt sorry for her (for the most part) thereafter. Part of the reason was that she seemed like a bit of a harpy and then she cheated on her husband thereafter. I think a big part of it too is that Skyler was at her worst during those early seasons, when the audience was still feeling very sympathetic for Walter, as he was not yet in full Heisenberg mode, and had been diagnosed with inoperable cancer. It is also important, I think, that seasons 1 and 2 Walter had fewer options. Later, he chose NOT to minimize the collateral damage from his career choice. There were many times when Walter might have put aside enough money to live quietly and not made waves. Instead, full Heisenberg, he wanted to be in the “empire business.” And he didn’t have to do that. But early on he was just Walt: a poor schmuck of a guy with cancer, no money, and a nagging wife. I don’t think we were supposed to like Skyler at that point.
        Part of Anna’s (and Vince Gilligan’s) brilliance is that they have managed to mirror Skyler against Walt — as he becomes more and more of a monster, she becomes conversely a more interesting and sympathetic character.
        Regarding the question of adultery versus drug dealing — let me say that I think both are really very naughty, and should likely be avoided by decent people. I would point out that (1) Walt started cooking to *provide* for his family, or at least that was the spur; (2) cheating on one’s spouse is incredibly destructive of one’s family; and (3) Skyler seems to be pretty okay with laundering drug money and otherwise participating in the process, even given numerous chances to turn Walt in. So he is a murdering drug dealer who nonetheless provides for his family, and she is an accessory to drug dealing who also cheated on her spouse.
        Neither are really completely on the side of the angels here. Just my opinion — take it for what it’s worth to you.

• Kat says:

I agree that Skyler is a flawed character, but Walt is, I believe, even moreso flawed. Yet Walt- and certainly Cranston- do not not receive 1/100 of the hate that Skyler and her portrayer Anna do.

• Tom Mc says:

That’s interesting. When she told Walt that she wished his cancer would return, my first thought was “wow, Walt. Look what you have done to the woman who once loved you!” I didn’t blame her a bit for that comment. I felt she was totally justified in how she felt.

24. Jack says:

Shows how many brain cells people out there have unable to distinguish between real life and reality. Let’s give death threats to an actress because she stands up to her husband. Let’s cheer an actor because he plays a serial killer and kills people. Lots of logic there, morons out there need to be locked in a rubber room.

Oh and not a dig at Dexter as I love that show, just making a point.

25. Joey says:

Not sure if I’d go down the misogyny route, but I would definitely be calling out the idiots who can’t seem to discern fiction from reality, as I’ve seen hate for plenty of actors as well as actresses who play pretty despicable characters.

26. neha says:

I’m interested to see if Aaron Paul and Dean Norris start to get hate mail now that they are getting in the way of Walt’s “fun”. My guess is no. Hmmmm…what’s the one difference between them and Skyler?

27. Lyn says:

What a whiner! Why does the fact that some people are ridiculously invested in fictional characters have to be seen as “misogynistic vitriol” that makes the poor millionaire actress feel bad? I agree fans go easy on the increasingly evil Walt. But Skyler — and by the way, 40 years ago, who named their girls Skyler? — has hardly been the super-strong character the actress imagines. Especially lately when she’s participated in the meth biz. But in any case, the writers are to blame. Anna Gunn should just be proud she’s played the part so well. Someday she’ll get a more sympathetic role and people will love her again.

28. Parker says:

Jessica Pare needs to write one of these too. She is entirely justified in doing so.

• rebecca says:

Seriously? Megan gets no where near the amount of misogynistic vitriol that Betty and Skyler get. The dislike for Megan comes from the amount of screen time she receives, she doesn’t get hated for being a wife and mother like Betty does.

29. canadian ninja says:

People say a lot of vicious crap on the internet. Means very little. And I’m not sure the example cited in the article is anything more than a hyperbolic attempt at humour.

Not sure calling the internet jerks women-haters is the way to go either. I don’t think the nasty/anti-social corner of the web is limited to any one (or fifty) things they like to hate on.

30. John Arthur says:

Making a national case out of this is such a Skylar thing to do.

I don’t hate the character because she’s a woman, I hate her for being annoying, passive aggressive, and humorless. When you think of the character ask yourself why would I root for this person

• t. says:

this is not about her complaining about the hate her character gets, but the hate she gets herself. and that’s what’s concerning! she absolutely has the right to make a ‘national case’ out of it!

31. John Arthur says:

Oh it was so bad for her that she waited to make it a national story until after all the episodes were finished and she got her check. She picked the roll, didn’t push for her character to change and is now whining about it on a national level. I have no sympathy for her because this whole thing stinks of passive aggressiveness.

• Brooke says:

What kind of roll? Was it pumpkernickle or just a plain white dinner roll?

I have a hard time having sympathy for people who are upset about getting death threats just for doing their job, too. My therapist suggested it’s part of my personality disorder.

• Trent says:

Actually her, the rest of the cast, and Vince have been speaking out about this for years. It’s just that this time she wrote an op-ed about its reflection of societal views that got picked up by the media so it’s getting more traction on a national level versus just within the show’s fandom.

32. efe says:

Skyler is by far my favorite character but just because someone doesn’t like Skyler doesn’t mean they are sexist.

• TXSunshine says:

Just hating Skyler was not what Anna Gunn (the actress) was complaining about, or at least not only what she was complaining about. When the hatred transfers to the the REAL person, that’s a huge problem. That’s not just sexist — I read a lot of TV news and opinion and the actress is right that the women characters suffer the most hatred — but delusional. And before someone says something like, “people just like to blow off steam on the internet,” I can think of celebrities who would disagree, all the way back to that young actress who was killed in the 80s, Rebecca Schaefer, to Selena Gomez recently.

33. david says:

I know i am late to joining the party but people need to get a life. Its a character that she plays amazingly well but its not who she is. Some people go overboard. I happened to have disliked Skylar early on because i liked Walt as the main character and she was coming between that but i have loved her character for the last year and a half especially since the show came back.

34. Marcus says:

The most interesting aspect of the article is that she wrote it during the Emmy voting period. Coincidence?

35. Kayla says:

I have never once heard anyone say that Skyler should just silently stand by Walt. That type of statement makes Anna seem very out of touch.

• kajar says:

And because you personally have never seen or heard such a comment means the sentiment doesn’t exist?

I’d say that Anna has the gist of the situation pretty well and she has every right to be a little freaked out by it. And it disturbs me more than anything that there are people just on this comment thread alone that can’t see the forest for the trees, so to speak, deciding to nitpick little details instead of looking at the bigger issue that is being presented here.

Leaving aside the whole sexism and misogyny debate, there is a very real and increasing problem with “fans” who cannot distinguish between an actor and the character that he/she plays on screen. And in some rare instances, these people have real mental issues and can be dangerous. Celebrity deaths and criminal acts against celebrities have occurred because of it. The thing is, if you are the object of this type of irrational hatred it’s hard determine which threats you may receive carry real malice behind them. So I would say being concerned and taking precautions for your personal safety is very much warranted.

And calling attention to the problem, thereby sparking debate over potential causes and solutions, can only be a good thing, IMO.

36. Megan says:

Although I am not caught up completely with the series yet, I will say that so far I feel for Skyler significantly more than Walt. Let me begin by mentioning that all the characters on this show are so incredibly human. They aren’t always going to act consistently, and things happening around them shape their moods and actions. Every character on the show is flawed, including Skyler. No one can be perfect, and I found her reactions to Walt’s increasingly erratic and suspicious behavior to be understandable. This blind hatred is mostly for absurd reasons that can be analyzed and discussed if fans would only take the time to talk and listen. First off, people who think Skyler should be supporting Walt need to step back from their keyboards for a minute and realize what they are saying. Walt may start off with good intentions, but his actions create worse and worse outcomes for everyone around him. He’s a drug dealer and a murderer who obsessed over controlling and staying with his family, despite causing chaos for them. Others say that Skyler’s cheating was totally uncalled for. Once again, I will remind you that although Skyler is a strong women, she is flawed like everyone else. No one is strong all the time, and she used her frustration irrationally by lashing out at Walt the only way she saw how, even if it was a childish and not well thought out plan. She WANTED him to get angry and leave her, people! Skyler no longer wanted a relationship with Walt, and so she hoped a drastic action on her part would cause him to leave, but it failed. She even admitted later on that it was a stupid thing to do. I have heardly ever seen Walt show regret for previous actions lately. Despite all this, Skyler did not want the father of her children to go to jail, so she ends up lying for him. I feel the worst for Skyler and her kids in this series, as she’s got a massive weight put on her shoulders that truly doesn’t belong there. She tries her hardest to do what she thinks is best in each situation she’s in, getting sucked deeper into Walt’s dangerous world. Walt’s attempts to justify his actions eventually become totally invalid. What he has done to his family is his own fault, and as a result everyone around him begins sacrificing pieces of themselves and becoming a bit darker as the story progresses. I honestly have no idea what I would do in Skyler’s shoes, and as she becomes more and more flawed, I know that some of her behavior cannot be excused away anymore. But I simply do not understand how people could utterly hate her, especially if they support Walter. As of right now, Walt’s become a full blown monster with no real excuse for his actions. He is certainly more disdainful that Skyler in terms of wrongdoing and morality. At the start of Breaking Bad, I sympathized with Walter White more than anyone else, but his transformation has caused me to lose all sympathy. I am left with only pity for this miserable man who has lies on top of lies and has only vast amounts of money to show for it, while the rest of his normal life has been irreversibly shattered. Skyler still has my sympathy, her attempts to keep her family and her life together and safe is causing her own downfall. I hope she makes it out okay. Unfortunately, I can’t say the same for Walter anymore.

37. cj says:

Well people are passionate and really care about the show so they want everything to be perfect and so when you care that much being upset gets amplified to hatred. I personally never “hated” her but a few seasons back I can understand why people didn’t care that much for hee portrayl of the character. She was so frantic and loud at times but most of the time she was clever and making the best of a bad situation. I think early on her storylines werent as good as they are now and people wanted all Walt Jesse and hank all the time. But she is killing it now.

38. SpikedYum says:

For the love of God, stop making this a gender issue. Seriously. Are you trying to say that a female character cannot be disliked? Seriously?

“nd makes a convincing case that some male viewers just don’t like the
    fact that Skyler stands up for herself, even against a husband who has
    turned into a murderer.”

I have talked to some female fans that feel the exact same, so stop trying to make it seem like men are the bad guys hating an innocent female character due to some sort of delusion of misogyny. If you think people are moronic enough to buy in to this agenda, then the only one showing their idiocy is you.

“But I finally realized that most people’s hatred of Skyler had little to
    do with me and a lot to do with their own perception of women and
    wives.”

Based on what? Your assumption? I didn’t dislike the actor, I thought she done a good job in playing the character, however now I can’t even respect her for that now.

Do you want to know “my” reasons for not liking her? I can’t even remember all of them, however I will try my best.

- She would not let Walter hold his own child. Yes, some could say “well, she was afraid it may of gotten the child hurt”. By who? Who would hurt this child? Does him merely holding his child make it in any more of a risk than living under the same roof? No. That is what irritated me. The child was both of theirs, not just Skylar’s, and yet Walter had to ask permission to hold his own daughter.

- She seemed to be all set against him, wanting him out, resilient in this one day happening, not wanting to be involved with him even if they are under the same roof.
    Then came the tons of money, and what happened? We seen an instant change in her. All of a sudden that hate for Walter started to not matter, now she was acting like he should be given another chance, and why? Less risk now? All the truth came out? Nope. Money.

- Sleeping with Ted. This was her choice, she could of done that if she wanted, they were separated. However it was clear that she was doing it purely to get back at Walter, not caring about how it would effect Ted’s emotions. Then what does she do? She rubs it in Walter’s face, because she knew it would some-what break him. She done it completely out of malice. The difference between Walter and Skylar is that Walter done his bad for a good reason, where as Skylar done her bad for bad reasons – they are not at all comparable to one another.

- She gave away $600,000 to Ted without running it through with Walter, and yet insists that Walter tells her everything that is going on. She thinks he must tell her everything about what it is he is doing with “his” money that he gained, and yet feels like she can just give away that money without even running it by Walt, which then causes problems later on.

- This is a duo one, because I liked what she done here against Ted, however the aftermath irritated me.
    Ted was being a d***, to put it short, so she aimed to correct this problem, and I was all like “you go, girl”, despite not liking her that much. Ted was an dweeb that deserved some sort of retaliation, and even what happened was not what irritated me. What irritated me is that Skylar went in, seen Ted’s condition, then started tearing up, all upset (so it seemed). The second Ted showed weakness, those tears were no more, she didn’t show sadness for what happened to him, and why? Because she got what she wanted, so she had no need to show emotion.

The whole thing with Skylar that bugs so many people is not that she is being a player in this – it’s that she is a hypocrite that aims to hurt people emotionally when she cannot get what she wants, be it information or some other way. That is the problem so many people have with Skylar. The difference between Walt and Jesse, and Skylar, is that although they do wrong things, they are loyal, they aren’t selfish on the same level, and on top of that, they don’t try to be seen as this holy’er than thou person even after doing what they done.

As for the “death threats”, I honestly do not believe any of these should be taken seriously. Honestly. I have received death threats from multiple people since my time on the internet. If you have not gathered by now that people say B.s just to say B.s, then perhaps you should consider not being on the internet so much.

Out of all the characters, I only find three that I “like”, and those three are, in no order, well maybe with the exclusion of the last one being third: Jesse, Hank, And Sol.
    As the show has gone on, Walt has become somewhat annoying but somewhat more intense at the same time. He is one of those characters you like and hate.

But I digress, back on to the point of Skylar, the gender roles, and so on. You claim that the reason for “men” (not only men do this, however I love how so many articles lately like to completely ignore the females that think the exact same, as it dismantles their whole “SOCIETY IS MISOGYNIST crap) hating her is because of their views on women. I’m sorry, but this is an insult on women from you, not from Skylar haters.
    You are trying to compare Skylar to how women are or should be, and so on. The reason why people dislike her is not that she is not the “traditional wife”, it’s that she is irritating. That is like me saying “I realize why so many people dislike Skylar. It’s because society thinks that she should stay a traditional wife, and so by killing three children are not complying with that traditional role” (not actually happened in the show, just an example).
    Women characters can differentiate from the “traditional wife” role, however that doesn’t mean that every role they take that isn’t the “traditional wife” role is a good role, there are good and bad roles, and Skylar has not went in to a good role, she has done the reverse.
    If Skylar went in to a good role outside of the “traditional wife” role, then people would not be so irritated by her.

Just because you may see the traditional wife role as a bad thing (some do, some don’t) does not mean there are worse roles out there that don’t come under that traditional wife role.

I understood Skylar’s concerns at the beginning. Due to knowing the secrets she doesn’t know due to me being a viewer of the show, I knew that what Walt was doing was with good intentions, so I couldn’t be irritated with him, however I also knew that Skylar did not know what the audience knew, so although I was not routing for her due to knowing what the secrets were, I understood her point of view and felt nothing wrong with her. It was after a certain point I just couldn’t stand her anymore.

I think a lot of people trying to compare the situations Walt and Jesse go through with Skylar are not accurate. Walt and Jesse done most of what they done for non-selfish reasons when it came to hurting other people. Jesse killed to help Walt, to save someone he cares about, even if he doesn’t want to admit it, and Walt does the same for Jesse.
    Skylar, on the other hand, has sex with her boss for the reason to hurt Walt, then tries to rub it in to his face, someone that risked a lot to ensure his family had something while he was gone due to him not being able to be around to help financially. That is one of the differences.

When it comes down to it, yes, the crimes the main characters do are worse, however you can’t eliminate the motivations behind it, otherwise you come out with an inaccurate conclusion. Kind of like the comparison of saying you k*lled someone and someone saying they killed someone to save someone else – completely different.

Well, I just went on and on there, however I don’t think people think enough on the subjects, and I think too many short minded people will just stop looking in to it as soon as the “PATRIARCHY! SEXISM AGAINST WOMEN!” comes in to consideration (somehow), which then makes them completely oblivious to the actual reasons behind situations and subjects

39. Hannah says:

I just watched it on YouTube with no sound and it was the funniest thing I’ve seen all week.

40. Jeff says:

The question is; if Slyler had not slept with Ted, would there be this anger toward her. I’ve seen many strong women characters on TV and movies and they were never “hated.” I suggest this has much more to do with infidelity than anything she’s done since.

41. jim says:

people are crazy.i remember one year that show big brother.some lady and her family got death threats just because she voted out the fan favorite.its a scary world we live in with basement dwellers and twitter

42. Anthony says:

Skylar is the worst character in the whole show, I hope her and Jessie get killed off by the end. Walt has not had his family in any immediate danger the whole entire time, this is obvious because Walt jr still has no idea what’s going on. Skylar is a very stereotypical emotionally driven, hypocritical woman, which I find very annoying. This was obvious in season one when she makes the moronic choice to show up to Jessie’s house, a drug dealer and try to scare him off. It would have made the whole series better if she for whatever reason caught a bullet to the face right there. And Walt has not made any idiotic choices almost the whole series besides selling meth and killing people of course. But he is so smart he covers his tracks every step, senses danger immediately, out smarts everyone (including skylars dumb***), and strikes at the perfect moments. His poorest lack of judgement just happened. When he let himself get tricked by Jessie.

43. Figures some FOOL would make this into some gender issue SMH. It has nothing to do with “archetypes” of the family and being bothered by strong women. It’s about an annoying character. PERIOD.

44. Allison McClymont says:

I dislike her because she’s nosey, aggressive, unfaithful and a ball-breaker. Not very attractive attributes.

45. zjqnd says:

What happens here exactly explains why there are still sexist in 21th century. The sex-equalists put anything that related to any opinion against any female into the sexist frame.

Now, the real thing is, I hate skyler character too, but not because she’s not an archetype female. I hate her because she is so DUMB.

1. She had to go to police, you may say she couldn’t, but yes she could and should. There’s no argument here. At least after walter got hit few times. She always mentioned she had to show good example of husband to Junior but… how can it be a example when his mother covers the criminal husband? It’s practically teaching her child that do whatever it takes, just don’t get caught.

2. She shouldn’t get involved with Ted. Sexual thing? Fine. It’s emotional so I can’t blame. But account scam? How can you literally blame husband for being a criminal when you’re committing the other kind of federal crime? It’s just nonsense. Writers just put it in there to keep the story go on, that’a all.

3. Keep her children away from home? I mean, it’s a millionare drug dealing gangsta she’s dealing with if some squads want to hit her. She already saw that anything could happen from Hank and Gus cases. If she really thought childrens first, she actually had to go to police, or send them to the boarding school without consulting with Walt, or at least had to divorce with Walt.

Yes, I hate her so much because she’s so dumb. I would hate that Stupid person still if she’s HE, and his WIFE is a meth cook. Any haters would be same. They just don’t know what they hate exactly but this is it.

Sometimes the only reason evil can grow up is there’s always stupids like Skyler in here and there. That’s why general german people say sorry to victims. They ignored or looked the other side when 2nd war was happening.
    If Skyler was a evil person so willingfully helped or even led the whole meth operations then I won’t hate her. Because it’s just a stupid TV show and we all know that. But being stupid and helping Walt with only reason to keep her family fed when they can be fed to by going to police and get into witness protection or something? No.

Again, it’s not about the gender. It’s just about the character.

46. zjqnd says:

Oh and about that why sexist still exist thing, I’m just saying about sexist frame makes somebody anti-sex equalist so being one of the sexist.
    Natural sexists doesn’t count as one of them because they will be sexist regardless there’s some stupid sex equalist or not. They’re just stupid as stupid kind of sex equalists. No offense to wise sex equalist but they will know that without me mentioning it already.

47. zjqnd says:

Oh and actually there is a TV show
    For perfect example.

Weeds.

It draws a story where this mom is a cook.

She’s the opposite of archetype female but everybody likes her because she’s just not annoying like skyler does and she’s clever.

Yeah I think if Mary louise parker was playing Skyler, she would never mentioned that this hatred is about some archetype and non-archetype female thing.
    She and Anna guun are two fine actors, I give you that but wise? No. Anna’s not half much good as Mary is.