Frankly, the Sharknado Sequel Title Kinda Bites

Get More: News

Sharknado 2: The Second One‘Member when Sharknado premiered to big buzz, and as sequel talk quickly swirled, countless clever titles for the follow-up fish tale were bandied about?

And ‘member when Syfy officially greenlit the sequel, and invited fans to pitch titles via Twitter, with the promise they’d pick the best?

Well, some 5,000 submissions later, your winner is: Sharknado 2: The Second One.

[Head scratch]

RELATED | Sharknado: So Bad It Was Kinda Great? Plus: Vote for a Sequel Title

That’s right. No lick of wordplay. No nod to the fact that the sequel is set in the mecca that is New York frickin’ City. (I mean, no one needed to see an eighth Friday the 13th movie, but Jason taking Manhattan by way of Vancouver? Ticket bought!) And there’s obviously no indication that any new twist is in play (a la Sharknado Meets Piranhacane).

I suppose Sharknado 2: The Second One is meant to be “wry” and/or underwhelming, a wink to the fact, “We’re not really trying here.” Or maybe there was the practical concern, “If we make the title too smart and exciting, it’ll oversell the ultimate product.”

Regardless, this title is, for the reasons listed two paragraphs above, a fail — so much so, we barely could bring ourselves to write about it. But hey, now the 2014 telepic can only surpass the promise, right?

What do you think of Sharknado 2: The Second One? Savvy in its simplicity? Or does it make you wonder which submission came in 4,999th?

Tags: ,

Comments (42)

• Perhaps it’s more of a dig at the fact that there’s actually going to be a second tornado containing sharks?

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell (@Jarry9493) – August 9, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aren’t they being redundant with this title?

Comment by Bob – August 9, 2013 07:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s the best they could come up with from 5,000 entries?? Scratching my head on this one too!!

Comment by CarolinaGirl – August 9, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s hilarious.

Comment by John – August 9, 2013 07:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with John. It is hilarious. These movies are never quality movies. Why should the title be any different. I just hope they can find a spot in the next film for Lorenzo Lamas and Debbie Gibson.

Comment by Mr Bo – August 9, 2013 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL! Good casting! These movies could become this generation’s Love Boat of casting! :-D The title of the sequel is ridiculous, but it’s completely fitting for what will be a cheesy movie. Gloriously bad TV!

Comment by TV Gord – August 10, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! And really, why bother trying to top a title like “Sharknado” anyway?

Comment by Lyria – August 10, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know…I kind of like it. It’s like they’re saying, “Yeah. A second one. Two sharknados. That’s right. Just deal with that for a second. Okay, then. Let’s do this.” Which is basically the attitude I want them to have if they’re making a second movie about a tornado full of sharks.

Comment by kaci – August 9, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we all just skip to the part where everyone acknowledges the Sharknado joke is over and move on?

Comment by d – August 9, 2013 07:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it is hilarious and perfectly represents the Idiocracy that is Sharknado

Comment by Carter – August 9, 2013 07:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the tradition of Pet Rocks, where the marketing and the public interest far, far surpassed either the idea or the execution, the facts still remain: Syfy movies are an embarrassment to grade B movies everywhere. Not anywhere close to being either kitschy or funny enough to be enjoyed on that level NOR anywhere close enough to being solid storytelling to be enjoyed on their own level. They are a vapid waste of money and airtime. It’s a fact that “Sharknado” became enough of a Twitter/FB meme to trick a lot of people into wasting their time with it (which also triggered a lot of comedy writers and bloggers into absorbing it into the zeitgeist) … but, come on … this garbage doesn’t even rise to the level of “Megalodon vs Giant Croc” (and that’s saying something).

It’s amazing to me that this crapfest can garner so much giddy chatter … but *quality* Science Fiction like “Caprica” and “Stargate: SGU” got short shrift and almost universally negative press (and then got dumped mid-story). I don’t mind the reams of electrons wasted here lamenting whatever heartwrenching disaster befell the latest bag of hair on the Bachelorette (and other such reality garbage), but shouldn’t discerning TV journalists be able to, at least, identify the best of whatever genre he or she covers, and not just be a shill for some idiot publicist?

Comment by Mark – August 9, 2013 07:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think what your failing to realize is that sharknado and stargate are not targeted to the same audience.

Comment by Ky – August 9, 2013 07:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dunno….I think they kind of are. I LOVE science fiction, good quality scifi is the best thing (even did my Masters thesis on it). But at the same time I adore, absolutely adore, horrible scifi. The worse the acting and writing the better in my books. I look forward to these horrible SyFy films (made even more delightful when some hasbeen B star is in it). I might live and breathe Orphan Black or BSG….but I loved MegaPiranah too.

Comment by liz – August 9, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t believe that someone of your superior intellect would even bother commenting on Sharknado. There are 200 other channels to watch. Leave us morons enjoy crappy movies.

Comment by Mr Bo – August 9, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I believe you meant “*let* us morons enjoy crappy movies” … your English is atrocious.

Comment by Mark – August 9, 2013 12:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hey, I’m the grammar police myself but this was hardly atrocious English. One wrong word is not that bad. Have you seen some of the other comments? Incidentally, they also could have forgotten the word “to”… As in “leave us morons to enjoy crappy movies”. Either way, it’s not that bad.

Comment by Janie – August 10, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I believe you meant “he also could have forgotten” rather than “they also could have forgotten,” Ms. Grammar Police, lmao.

Comment by Alex – August 11, 2013 09:17 AM PDT
  • The sadder thing is that Syfy greenlights lousy work like this instead of keeping on shows like Sanctuary. Syfy has turned into a joke of a channel that I stopped watching long ago…..

Comment by KenL – August 9, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Hardly been a thing worth watching since they stupefied the networks name. SciFi was spiffy, but “”SyFy”” just makes me want to cry.

Comment by BrenRen – August 9, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • C’mon!! Why not SHARKNADO 2: ELECTRIC BUGALOO ??

Comment by Eric O – August 9, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s what I was hoping for hoping for as well.

Comment by d4h8a15r16m23a42 – August 9, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanted to called it Sharkboob, ’cause instead of a tornado, the sharks are dropped on unsuspecting people via a haboob. But nooooooo…It’s all, “the Second One.” Whatever. – John

Comment by John T. Grose – August 9, 2013 08:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I submitted 4 titles and that’s what they decided to go with. What a load of crap.
    I had gone with the finned
    Fishion impossible
    Findapendance day and my favourite one
    Sharknado 2 the tooth is out there.
    Poor show guys you suck.

Comment by Alan – August 9, 2013 08:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! These are great titles and I would have loved any of those to be the one chosen. Thanks for the laugh – The Tooth is Out There is my favorite!

Comment by CarolinaGirl – August 9, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe there would have been copyright issues…?

Comment by Nat – August 9, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Copyright issues? Um, NO. There would not have been.

Comment by Alex – August 11, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really love these two the best. The first one I heard online but the second one is one that I sent it.

1. Sharknado 2: Taking A Bite Out Of The Big Apple
    2. Sharknado 2: Jaws Ani’t Got Nothing On Us

Comment by Cody Drennen – August 9, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t like either of them. Long and dull.

Comment by Alex – August 11, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sharknami was obviously too much for them too handle.

Comment by canadian ninja – August 9, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sharknado 3: …2…1…BOOM!

My suggestion for the third.

Comment by Midori – August 9, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That is such a brilliant name, and I’m not even lying. What were you expecting? Sharknado 2: Citizen Kane?.

Comment by RobMF – August 9, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not citizen Kane but maybe citizen canine … As in teeth ;)

Comment by Dave – August 9, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about blood at first bite
    Or
    Big Apple bigger shark

Comment by Dave – August 9, 2013 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not, “Sharknado: Another One Bites It”

Comment by jericho – August 9, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it perfectly represents what the movie is. I personally think it’s funny and better then silly plays on words/other movie titles.

Comment by Nessie – August 9, 2013 07:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sharknado 2: Shark Avenue

Comment by Rotasevian – August 10, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boring title! It does nothing for sharks.

Comment by Alex – August 11, 2013 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2harknado!

Comment by Tony Baker – August 11, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sharknami.

Comment by Tony Baker – August 11, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the the title, but I enjoy a bit of wittiness. “Snakes on a Plane” was a perfect title and now we have “Sharknado 2: The Second One” in case you thought it was the first one.

Comment by Hannah – August 11, 2013 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 2 Shark 2 Nado

Comment by Mikael – August 12, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why use sharks again, what about a different animal and natural disaster? Alpacalanche or Meerkatastrophe, anyone?

Comment by Matt – August 13, 2013 09:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post