Dexter EP Prepares for Polarizing Fan Reaction to Series Finale, Maintains, 'It Feels Right to Us'

Get More: Finales, Interviews, Scoop

Dexter Last Season FinaleIt’s nearly impossible to please everyone with a series ender these days. But the folks behind Dexter (which wraps its eight-season run on Sunday, Sept. 22) are feeling confident about that prospect, while nevertheless preparing for the worst.

“This has been the ending that we [the executive producers] have talked about for years now,” the Showtime saga’s EP Sara Colleton shares with TVLine. “So to us, it feels right for our show and how we feel about it.”

VIDEO | Dexter Season 8 Spoilers: Deb Reacts to Hannah’s Return

While the brains behind the Dark Passenger “hope fans will think it’s right,” too, Colleton notes, “At the end of the day, we know that you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.

“There will be people who hate it,” she admits, “but we can’t try to anticipate that or put it through the lens of any other show’s finale — because that was another show. This is our show. This is Dexter.”

RELATED | Dexter Season 8 Series Finale — Deb and Dex Reunited?

Love it or… what Colleton said above, the producer and her team stand behind their yet-to-be-seen finale decisions. “At the end of the day, we would rather go down with what we feel is right than try to figure out how to make everybody happy,” she explained. “We feel that we’ve pulled off what we wanted, and that is what we needed to feel.”

Do Colleton’s comments give you confidence or cause some concern going into Dexter‘s final days? Sound off below!

Comments (112)

• It has to end with his death, there really is no other conclusion

Comment by scorpo – August 7, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? His death would wrap things up very neatly and the showrunners have never really done what was expected. I hope that Dexter abandons his code and goes off into the world as a full-fledged serial-killer without a conscience…and thus leave us wondering and a little on edge.

Comment by Michael – August 7, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ^^^ THIS

Comment by DarkDefender – August 7, 2013 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love it, great idea!

Comment by Jeff – August 18, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Too true. We completely expected them to get it together and craft a masterful final season, drawing from what came before. Instead we got 5 episodes of mad Deb, and a whole bunch of characters thrown in to the mix. There’s still time to somewhat salvage a decent ending to this show (though I doubt it at this point, my guess is Dexter gives up killing and while he’s trying to get away, Quinn, of all people, catches him.), but I fully expect this to be even worse than season 5 at this point.

This series should have ended with season 4.

Comment by fruffybunnies – August 27, 2013 04:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have a feeling that Dexter is already dead (hey, they did a Psych plot, why not The Six Sense too)

Comment by git – August 7, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What was the Psych plot?

Comment by bearpita – August 7, 2013 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Psycho, I forgot the O..
          And the plot with Tom Hanks son and the dude from BSG

Comment by git – August 9, 2013 06:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always thought the best ending was Dexter’s death, but I’m ready to accept whatever the writers/producers have planned, this is their show after all :)

Comment by lilys87 – August 7, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Morgans be dead….like Francisco Franco, LaGuerta will valiantly fight to remain…dead….

Comment by Bruce – August 7, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as it doesn’t end with a Dex/Deb wedding, I’m sure it will be fine. That really is the only way to completely screw it up.

Comment by Brendan – August 7, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes ideed ! THAT I would not buy !

Comment by lilys87 – August 7, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I second that! That would be unacceptable! :(

Comment by Kim R – August 7, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think that’s always the best approach to ending a series. You do what narratively feels right. Even if you try and appease fans, there are still going to be people who hate it, and you’ve sold out for no reason. I trust that Dexter will end appropriately.

Comment by Nat – August 7, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I imagine Dexter will be killed by another vigilante who rationalizes serial killing by only killing other serial killers. The circle of life, etc.

Comment by Queerbec – August 7, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This will be the ending…

Comment by Kevin – August 7, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hannah kills Deb, Zach kills Dex.. Zach and Hannah then run off together, thus setting up the spin-off.

Comment by bobby91 – August 7, 2013 06:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Would be interesting but I doubt it seeing as Zach was just made a regular in The Following….plus it would just be awful

I think Dexter sacrifices himself for Deb in a way that does get him killed but does NOT expose him as a serial killer. Deb raises Harrison. Zach will continue his “work”.

Comment by Tim – August 7, 2013 07:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would not be a bad ending.

Comment by Patchi – August 7, 2013 07:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree.

Comment by Buddy – August 7, 2013 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s amazing, Tim! You should write this!

Comment by Lee – August 7, 2013 08:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ummm, you know Zach was killed off, right??

Comment by sara – September 22, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yes Zach is dead, But a Dex and Hannah happy ending no way

Comment by Steve – September 22, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The best ending would obviously be the death of everyone at the Miami PD. It’s a happy ending, knowing that maybe this time they’ll get competent, less horrible human beings to protect Miami.

I do think Dexter has to die…And maybe when he does it becomes about Deb now taking Zach under her wings(keeping him to the code) and obviously raising Harrison.

Comment by Josh – August 7, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve got a feeling “the series” has been him reflecting on his life on death row just as he faces the chair.

Comment by Eve – August 7, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Inceptiony! But wow. Never thought of that. Don’t know how I’d feel about of. But it would make sense explaining Harry’s presence and Dexter’s constant inner voice. Hmm.

Comment by Jackie – August 7, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wow! I like it and never thought of it! :)

Comment by Kim R – August 7, 2013 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Isn’t it lethal injection in Florida? He could end up “on the table” himself.

Comment by Olivia – August 7, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like that!

Comment by R.O.B. – August 7, 2013 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they do ‘student becomes the master’ I’ll throw my television out the window.

Comment by jo – August 7, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think that Dexter dies. Everyone has been predicting that. If it happens, everyone says, “oh, yeah, I saw that coming a mile away.” What would be the suspense in having him die?

Comment by CC – August 7, 2013 07:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it ends with his death honestly, it’d be the best TV experience.

Just imagine a f*cking epic 5 minutes long Dexter monologue as he’s dying. That’d be bloody (no pun intended) great.

Comment by erk – August 7, 2013 07:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb will die. That’s pretty obvious.

Comment by D – August 7, 2013 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deb will die in the series finale. That’s pretty obvious. I don’t think Dexter will die though – that will be the most obvious ending. Though maybe they will do some kind of flash forward or use some kind of device that shows that the last few seasons were only in Dexter’s head, as he is about to be electrocuted or something.

Comment by sleeplessghost – August 7, 2013 08:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Deb’s death would free him from his code. Her death could open up many possiblities for Dexter’s journey into the beyond, wherever the beyond may be.

Comment by Michae – August 7, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last 3 episodes was just awful.

Comment by Maxim Knyazev – August 7, 2013 08:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, it ‘feels right’ to the writers/producers? Then obviously the series finale will end with Dexter being exposed as none other than…. Batman. No one deny that the final seasons are nowhere near the same show at the brilliant start, with pointless side stories and God-awful nannies. So naturally, our C- writers will make him Batman.

Comment by McKenzie – August 7, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think a natural ending, whether Dexter himself dies or not, is the elimination of his Dark Passenger. The Dark Passenger has been the villian the whole time, the true antagonistic force of the show, and for Dexter to succeed as an anti-hero, this force has to be reconciled. Dexter “cured” might be the true ending, choosing not to kill someone, and this is who the new character (played by Sam Underwood) might be. The first killer he chooses not to kill.

Comment by Matthew – August 7, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They’re making a creative decision and sticking with it. Good for them.

Comment by Marceline (@MsMarceline) – August 7, 2013 08:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • so much information about the finale episodes is already out there , I don’t think people are going to like the ending.

Comment by danna – August 7, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Setting the bar low by using the “well you can’t please everyone” excuse. Interesting.

Comment by JAB – August 7, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That bothered me too.

Comment by binro – August 11, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope Dexter kills Hannah this week so that they do not drag this on eternally but she needs to go.

Comment by jDAWg – August 7, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHY IS THE FINALE THE SAME NIGHT AS THE EMMY AWARDS????

Comment by Matt Alex – August 7, 2013 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RIGHT?!

Comment by roxy – August 7, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They aren’t. The Dexter finale is September 15.

Comment by alistaircrane – August 7, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The Emmys are September 22. But seriously, who watches awards shows?

Comment by alistaircrane – August 7, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dexter finale is also September 22. Says so in the article.

Comment by Jess – August 7, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as long as quinn has nothing to do with dexters fate, I’m fine. Actually I would prefer quinn to die.

Comment by roxy – August 7, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • dex and hannah killing deb would be lovable

Comment by rb – August 7, 2013 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would like that, too.

Comment by bobbie – August 7, 2013 09:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what we’re seeing now turns out to be Harrison, as an adult, telling the story of his dear old dad. he’s telling the story to one of his own victims. Harrison has followed in his father’s footsteps and grew up to be a killer too.

Comment by laverne – August 7, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would like to see Dexter arrested and then flash forward ahead to his execution. That is the most satisfying ending in my book.

Comment by alistaircrane – August 7, 2013 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How it ends.

The screen turns to white with blood splatters right in the middle of a scene. ;)

Comment by Midori – August 7, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With all the spoilery details out there, I am already preparing myself to be disappointed by the finale. IMO, Dexter (the character) doesn’t deserve a happy ending. I would feel robbed if other central characters (*cough*Deb*cough*) meet a tragic end while Dexter lives on happily in Miami or some other country.

The show runners have been setting up S8 to look like Dexter is not to blame for who he is and it’s all Vogel’s fault and she is the one who made him into a killer. So, what’s stopping them from giving Dexter an epiphany that he can stop killing and be completely normal and go live a hassle free life with Hannah in Argentina. If the show indeed goes down this path then it will be a major disappointment (for me). Dexter is a serial killer and it will be poetic if his luck runs out and he gets caught/dies – his loss control over the past two seasons leading him to make mistakes and not follow the code are already breadcrumbs to his devolving as a man in control.

Or maybe, I have been spoiled by Breaking Bad – where the philosophy is that “all bad things must end” and I am perfectly okay with accepting the fate of Walter White/Heisenberg.

Comment by Spoiler Junkie – August 7, 2013 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • uh, deb is a serial killer also

Comment by mmartian – August 7, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Not really no, not in the way dexter is.

Comment by Matilda – August 8, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how about theres a accident he loses his memory and debby takes care of him

Comment by John Moshier – August 7, 2013 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Dexter dies (at Debs hands) and Deb continues the family tradition?

Comment by Kerry Kissiger – August 7, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter could be in a Glass cell like Hannibal Lecter! he’s probably gonna die though and unlike trinity his secret will be kept so that Harrison doesn’t find out the truth unlike trinity’s family.

Comment by David Simpson – August 7, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It all comes down to whether or not they are gonna leave Harrison orphaned…..just can’t see it…..But if they do kill off Dex, they could always have Zach teach Harrison the code to continue the Morgan family line. But more likely, is that Dexter and Hannah decide to take off together and leave Miami….which angers Deb…….Deb kills Hannah……Dexter kills Deb in a fit of anger…then kills himself with grief…………. with Harrison in the other room discovering all the blood after hearing the commotion……and the series ends where it began…with a young child sitting in a pool of his dead parent’s blood. Full circle.

Comment by Ken – August 7, 2013 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would be satisfied with this ending.

Comment by Matthew – August 7, 2013 01:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • now that is the only ending i’ll be satisfied with ;p

Comment by Penny – August 7, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then Quinn scoops up Harrison, who is crying & bloody and he fosters then adopts him (because like Harry, he feels obligated to Deb) By the finale he has proposed to Jamie, who accepted, and she knows Harrison.. They get custody which makes the adoption easy.. And flash forward.. Quinn seeks out a therapist to help with Harrison and she/he ends up being a believer in the Vogle methodology and they teach the code.

Comment by DarkDefender – August 7, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • IDK I still sort of like Dexter, I mean he has gotten a little less likeable the past few seasons but I don’t want Harrison to be without a dad, and I don’t think Deb deserves to die either. I for one was happy she killed LaGuerta, because she was just annoying. But in general I really am not overly fond of anyone else on the show besides Deb and Dexter.

Comment by cas – August 7, 2013 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know right? I don’t get why everyone is so keen to see them die? I want a happy ending. Dex and Deb (not romantically) sailing off into the sunset with Harrison. Dexter’s voice sending us into the credits where he talks leaving his dark passenger behind in Miami. It’s such a dark show, having it end in the sunshine on Dex’s beloved Slice of Life would be perfect.

Comment by Nicola – August 7, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • totallllly agree……… unfortunately ppl who write tv shows very seldom give us what we want! :(

Comment by Marty – August 10, 2013 07:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the ideas on here where his running inner commentary somehow comes into play. That would be interesting. Although the commentary always seems to be in the present, so it isn’t likely. I think in the end, Dexter will do something human and selfless, sacrificing himself to save his sister and his son, maybe even all of his friends. Someone’s going to try to blow up Angel’s bar or something.

Comment by R.O.B. – August 7, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shouldn’t he become the manager of a funeral home…..

Comment by Cam3x – August 7, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I know…he kills Susanne Plechette!

Comment by Cam3x – August 7, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He wakes up and kills Susanne Pleschette!

Comment by Cam3x – August 7, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lmfao….. |I wonder how many get this?

Comment by Marty – August 10, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have no problem with Dexter dying. But if Hannah McKay kills him I’m going to be beyond pissed.

Comment by LisaJ (@Lisa_JDC) – August 7, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well so far I’ve been bored with the season but I’d hope Angel finds out who killed Maria and we have the fallout from that somehow which would lead nicely into an Angel/ Dexter showdown. As for Hannah, Debs, Harrison (who aged too much between seasons) and Quinn I don’t care tbh.

Comment by laura meakin – August 7, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about the aging of Harrison. Season 8 started 6 months after deb killed Leguertta. I wonder why the stopped using the twins they used to play Harrison the other seasons?

Comment by mike d – August 10, 2013 07:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed a portion of last season’s episodes…don’t know if it’s ever been established, but I believe Deb and Dex are Harry’s children . Maybe Dex will go to jail only to protect Deb from something she did. Of course Deb will raise Harrison.

Comment by Lisa – August 7, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a bit puzzled by the picture of Dex for season 8, it looks like his face is wrapped up and ready to die. That seems to oblivious but I think the producers and writers are going to have him die.

Comment by Steve – August 7, 2013 05:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dex starts to see Vogel as the one who warped his life.
    Vogel sends Zach to kill Dex – guess how that goes.
    Dex & Deb kill Vogel.
    Dex fakes his death and runs off to live with Hannah – leaving Harrison to be raised by Deb who won’t teach him to kill but he will grow up to swear like a sailor.

Comment by canadian ninja – August 7, 2013 11:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think:

Zach will die in the next few episodes because he can’t learn to control/postpone his dark desires.

Vogel will be killed by Dexter for using him as a lab rat.

Hannah will be killed off because she knows too much and tried to kill Deb

Quinn will realize by chance what Dexter is (and that Deb knows it) and he will be killed by Dexter.

Finally, Deb can’t get over killing LaGuerta and her guilt over everything she has done for his brother (look how her mood swings in the episodes of this season). She will go insane and be locked up in a facility. Dexter stays alive, raises Harrison and visits his sister regulary.

Comment by Dexter/ Breaking Bad- viewer – August 8, 2013 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess noone ever had to read or watch “The Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge” in junior high. If Dexter has been on death row remembering his life,that would be a cop out on the writers part and a terrible ending for an original and innovative series

Comment by raven64 – August 8, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dexter dying just seems too obvious. I’d rather he went on the run with Hannah and Harrison. And I hope Zach dies. Unlike Dexter, there doesn’t seem to be anything likeable about him, including that awful haircut.

Comment by Mikael – August 8, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • funny…….but true.. lol

Comment by Marty – August 10, 2013 07:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always though Debra would shoot Dexter… Didnt happen so..

Comment by Maxime Archambault-Chapleau – August 8, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought the final scene would be Dexter saran-wrapped to his own table with a knife pointed at him.

Comment by fran – August 8, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Dexter doesn’t get killed, I’m ok with however the show ends. It’s been a great 8 seasons and Dexter will always be one of my favorite shows.

Comment by Sally – August 9, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Through all speculation, ppl forget…. overall Dexter is a “good” person… his character does the dirty work most normal ppl feel should be done. Though, this does not, excuse him, we have all seen the growing turmoil his actions cause for him and those he cares for. I would like, previous ppl have said, Dexter finally gets rid of his dark passenger and can lead a normal less tortured life. I like happier endings obviously, but to like the show is to like Dexter.. so why would anyone not want him to be free of his torturous inner self?

Comment by Marty – August 10, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Love your response. Your idea for an ending would be great.

Comment by HemiGirl – August 10, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just don’t want it to end! This series has had the best cast and storyline ever. Oh, and if I were younger, I would love to hook-up with Michael C. Hall!!!!!

Comment by HemiGirl – August 10, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post