Grey's Anatomy's Sara Ramirez: Callie/Arizona Are 'Back to Step 1' After 'Devastating' Showdown

Grey's Anatomy Season 10 CalzonaFor Grey’s Anatomy‘s Callie and Arizona, last season marked 23 steps forward and then one huge step back.

Yes, the forever-tested twosome gradually found their footing after Callie ignored Arizona’s wishes and amputated one of her wife’s legs in the wake of the plane crash. But then in the season finale, everything the couple built came crashing down when Arizona’s impetuous indiscretion with Dr. Lauren Boswell was outed.

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Premiere Title Revealed — Whose ‘Fate’ Is In Question?

“It was just devastating. Heartbreaking,” Sara Ramirez recalls of the gut-punch Callie sustained. “I mean, it’s everything you don’t want to have happen, for anyone.” (Revisit Arizona’s outburst scene, then read on.)

Adding insult to emotional injury: For Callie, this was the second time someone she was wed to cheated on her. (Thanks, George! Oh, and R.I.P.) As such, series creator Shonda Rhimes says, “Callie has got some stuff to deal with” — as does her Mrs. “Arizona’s not necessarily holding a grudge because Callie cut off her leg; that’s not really what it’s about,” Rhimes teases. “She got over [that] and sort of moved on, but never dealt with any of the underlying issues. There has to be something else going on there.”

RELATED | Grey’s Anatomy Scoop: Four Actors Score Series Regular Upgrades

While you mull that mystery, here’s what we do know: As Season 10 opens (with a two-hour premiere airing Sept. 26), barely any time has passed since the events of the superstorm-soaked finale, and the doctors of Grey+Sloan Memorial are now receiving the casualties of a resultant mudslide. And that’s on top of the assorted emotional storms still brewing indoors.

“Callie’s reeling from hearing that her wife is still very, very angry and hurt,” Ramirez shares. “So essentially they regress back to Step 1, to where they started in Season 9. It’s like, ‘Ugh, we’re back at the beginning,’ so there is a lot of work that needs to be done.”

READER POLL | What Happens Next: Has a Grey’s Anatomy Marriage Flatlined?

But while these two doctors can work miracles reassembling bone or repairing tiny humans, Ramirez is uncertain if they have what it takes to recuperate from this double whammy of infidelity and resurfaced resentment.

“We’re going to see in the first few episodes Callie being reactive and acting out, dealing with her own feelings about what’s happening,” Ramirez says. And she won’t necessarily leave this volatile matter behind closed on-call room doors.

Want more scoop on Grey’s, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Leigh says:

So, sounds like I’m gonna skip the first few episodes. Maybe the season.

2. nonniemb says:

God bless this website and this scoop.

3. Bella says:

Dump her, Callie! Arizona has done nothing but whine and be full of self-pity since she’s been on the show. Now she’s cheated and doesn’t even seem to take responsiblity for it or feel bad about it. Dump her. There’s somebody better out there. Probably lots of somebodies.

• Sylvia Stein says:

I agree I think Arizona has been selfish for a long time now and has yet to show Callie – love the only one that ever cared for Callie was Mark and sadly he died!

• Babygate says:

I hate, hate this comment. Because I want Callie and Arizona to ultimately be that happy, passionate, loving couple we have been waiting for them to become. But most of all, I hate this comment because its true. No one has ever loved, protected and understood Callie like Mark. No one.

• Midge says:

Don’t you think Callie’s approach to Arizona’s trauma has been nothing sort of selfish though? Remember when she complained about not having any sex “because of the damn leg”? I get that she was coping with losing Mark but she was a horrible spouse at times during Arizona’s grief and trauma.
      Which, by the way, only got to see a couple of episodes in the perspective of *Arizona* – the rest was always about how *Callie* reacted and felt.

• Real Talk says:

AGREED.

Also, Calzona is endgame.

• Babygate says:

Disagree. By the time Callie had reached that point it had been months that she had been dealing with Arizona. Callie followed Arizona’s cue and tried to give her what she needed whether it was a push, time, support or space. Arizona shut Callie out of the process and after a while it wore her out. By her own admission Arizona was selfish. And she asked Callie to never leave her even though she knew Callie was suffering. And Callie complied. But I understand if you or any other Arizona fans feel the need to justify her actions.

• Nadica says:

Callie is a pushover and everyone knows it. She pushed Arizona to get back to who she was, to what they were, way too hard. She pushed Arizona to buy the hospital, because she felt responsible for the hospital falling apart. She didn’t hear when her wife was telling her to move into another city and buy a house. She wanted to do things her way, and that’s how it’s always been. Arizona has always managed to adapt to Callie’s wishes. I’m not justifying the cheating, just saying that it took 3 to this tango. For god sake, Callie didn’t manage to see that Arizona is not Arizona anymore. Arizona tried to hide the phantom limb from Callie so hard, because Callie needed her wife back. The cheating, the leg issue is just the beginning, I think that we’ll get to see what it really is about in S10. IMO if Callie wants to act like a victim again, it would be boring seeing the same thing over and over again. Because Callie did loose Arizona, and she didn’t notice it. Maybe now, that she finally realized it, she will grow up and fight for a person in her life for the first time since she came to GA.

• Nadica says:

Yeah, it’s mainly Callie’s perspective, but only because she’s the one that’s always “the victim” and the one that’s always complaining about something. Arizona is the one who tries to push her feelings and needs aside, in order to please the person she loves. I think many of those unresolved and hidden issues and feelings will somehow resurface in season 10. I truly do hope, that Shonda will manage to bring back Arizona’s popularity back, and have people understand that, as you already said, we’ve been, all along, actually seeing Callie’s perspective. Arizona is such a complex character, and Callie has always been the one with needs, the one who needed someone to fight for her, someone to apologize to her.. It’s about time for her to grow up and decide what kind of person she wants to be. Because, she did get cheated twice, while married.. This is GA, and she’s the only character who got cheated on twice in marriage.

• Babygate says:

I believe you are using the word ‘pushover’ out of context. And, from the 2nd episode she told Owen “that is not my wife.” She was very much aware of Arizona’s void and transformation. She coped with it by being supportive and giving her wife what she needed. From the first episode Callie knew she was losing Arizona and she did what every loving spouse would do, she tried to save her marriage. And there’s nothing wrong with Arizona wanting to be the wife Callie needed her to be. That desire compelled her to fight to become whole. And the thing about moving, please. That lasted for a second and it was only because they thought they had lost the hospital. It wasn’t because Arizona wanted to move. And while Callie fought to save the hospital, it was Arizona that called that meeting in the rain and said they had to do it because they were about to lose Bailey. But again, I understand that these facts are hard to accept. You don’t like Callie. I get it. Everybody roots for the character they like the most. There’s no need to justify that position.

• Nadica says:

@Babygate – It’s not that I don’t like Callie, I just think that it wasn’t all Arizona’s fault. And it’s the scenes that last 5 seconds, like the one with Arizona saying that she wants to move, that matter too. I completely agree with you, that Callie was nothing but a supportive and loving spouse at the beginning, in fact, she was close to the perfect wife. She knew that she may loose her wife forever, and was ready to fight for her. I get that, and I like Callie for that. And no matter what happens to Calzona, I will always remember the “shower scene”, cause it always gives me chills. But as you said, Arizona did try her best to be whole again, simply because she loves Callie. She and Callie rushed things and got where they are now. Whether it’s PTSD or not, Callie is supposed to know her wife better, then to think that things can recover so quickly, after those dark and horrible months. And as for Arizona, she did try to become whole again, but can a person with missing limb ever feel really whole again, or at least mentally whole so soon? Arizona did call the meeting in the rain, and finally agreed to do what Callie wanted and pushed for all along. But then again, was she really ready to do something like that? Was there ever in the 9th season time when Arizona was herself, when her resonating wasn’t clouded and odd? There were few moments when we saw the old Arizona, but those were only hints of a forgotten character. I like Calzona, and I really think that both of them messed things up badly. And I think that both actresses are great, and will give us many chilling scenes, again and again. I really hope, that will see happy Calzona though. And yes, I am Team Arizona, if I have to choose :)

• I agree with you. And for those new interviews, it seems like season 10 will be in Callie’s perspective again. Some people think that is more painful to be without sex for months, than living without a leg for life. Why? because Is always about Callie’s perspective.

(Sorry for my english)

Cheers :)

• Nadica says:

• Danielle H. says:

This! Callie needs to move on. I never ever EVER liked them together. They feel forced. Callie needs a super sexy man in her life!

• Sizwe says:

“They feel forced” clearly we’re not watching the same show. The chemistry between Callie and Arizona is more real than any man can give. I think somehow they will bounce back from this drama, they belong together

4. monica4185 says:

Team Callie.

5. Hmm says:

I think a single Callie would be really fun this season. The show has gotten too coupley and I think it would be wise for the producers to shake things up.

6. Tav says:

Unpopular opinion, but I really liked Lauren Boswell and hope she sticks around. Yes cheating is terrible/getting cheated on sucks, but I never found the relationship of Callie & Arizona interesting prior to Lauren showing up.
    Also, no offense to anyone, but Arizona and Lauren have way more chemistry than Arizona and Callie. Arizona is much more compelling around Lauren and it would be a waste not to explore that.

• CH says:

To be honest … yeah. I’ve never had anything against Callie/Arizona, but the chemistry between Arizona and Lauren was off the charts.

I do feel bad for Callie, though. Girl’s been through the ringer more than once.

• Olivia says:

Preach.

• Babygate says:

I agree that Arizona and Lauren had more chemistry than Callie and Arizona ever had. But in my book, that’s not a good thing. I think this was an actor’s choice in the way Jessica Capshaw chose to play Arizona’s attraction to Lauren. Unfortunately, she never exercised the same choice in showing how Arizona felt about her own wife. Imo, what Arizona did cannot be undone. Not only the deeply disturbing things she said, but how attracted she felt to Boswell. So, while I would not advocate for it, I’m ok with Arizona riding off into the sunset with Lauren. As long as they do it as far away from Seattle as possible and we never have to see them again. But I doubt that will happen because Lauren is an amoral predator and Arizona would never trust her.

• Tav says:

“I agree that Arizona and Lauren had more chemistry than Callie and Arizona ever had. But in my book, that’s not a good thing. I think this was an actor’s choice in the way Jessica Capshaw chose to play Arizona’s attraction to Lauren.”
        Hmm, I don’t know. You make it sound like Jessica Capshaw has been “holding back” (or something) for the entirety of their onscreen relationship, but I think it’s just a matter of “clicking” better with another scene partner.
        Also it helps that Hilarie Burton is SELLLLLING IT. If I didn’t know any better I’d think she was legit into Jessica :D, but I guess it just comes down to convincing acting. Callie and Arizona were never convincingly that into each other, IMO.

• Babygate says:

I agree that Sara and JCap have never been able to fully sell the idea of Callie and Arizona being a romantic couple. They clearly have a lot of affection for each other but there isn’t a noticeable romantic or sexual chemistry. At least, not since Season 6. But, there are things that they can do apart from each other. for example, how they look at the other. Arizona has never given Callie a look of desire, yet, on the episode when Lauren was introduced, Arizona was standing behind her checking out her butt. And she was clearly distracted when Boswell was around, again, JCap never played Arizona that way in relation to Callie. In S8 when Callie walked into their apartment and took off her top with the intention of having make up sex with her wife, Arizona didn’t so much as glanced at Callie’s body while Sara/Callie on multiple occasions checks out Arizona’s chest and butt. Just saying’. To be fair though, Hilarie did talk about the amazing chemistry that she and JCap had. Something that clearly translated into the screen for them.

• Tav says:

Yeah, you make a valid point. Throughout Arizona and Callie’s romantic interactions there was never really that spark on Arizona’s end. But I guess the attraction believability depends on how comfortable or connected the actors feel with each other. And I don’t mean to imply anything bad by that, Sara herself had better chemistry with Eric Dane. So it just so happens the person introduced for Arizona to cheat with has really good chemistry with her. Can’t fault anyone for that, and it makes good TV.
            Though I will say if Callie and Arizona split (which they should imo), and they add someone new for Callie, they need to screen test/cast an actress that has the same kind of palpable chemistry for Sara.

@Tav
            OMG! It’s like you read my mind! As I’m reading all the news coming out of the TCA I’m getting the sense that Callie is going to be involved with someone, probably just for the sake of getting distracted, nothing serious. And immediately I thought, they need to screen test that person with Sara. JCap was not brought on to the show to be Callie’s love interest. She was supposed to have a three season arc dealing exclusively with a medical issue. Shonda decided to keep JCap but I think that if she would have screen tested them before she would have realized the chemistry wasn’t there. I think IRL they really respect each other but I don’t think they are friends. Sara did have great chemistry with Eric because they were friends or at least very friendly off camera. She also looked very natural with George but she loved T.R. before she even came on the show. Same with Brooke Smith. Although apparently ABC thought she wasn’t attractive enough to be Callie’s love interest, the actresses looked very comfortable and natural around each other. Whereas Arizona barely touches Callie and every time Callie touches Arizona it feels rehearsed and very choreographed. As of now, I’m still rooting for Calzona to be end game, but if someone comes along that Sara has chemistry with, Arizona can go back to Lauren and they can both be happy without each other because everything else aside, I honestly don’t know how anyone can get over the horribly cruel things that Arizona hurled at Callie.

• Ellen says:

This is a comment to your post about JCap not coming to the show to be Callie’s girlfriend. That is true, Shonda actually kept her because of her off screen chemistry with Sara.

@Ellen
            You said it: “off screen chemistry”. I doubt they were screen tested. If memory serves correctly, they were joking and laughing onset, not making out and that’s a huge difference. They may have looked like they hit it off, that by no means is an indication that they could play romantic interests for each other. On screen, they seem to be very fond of each other and they do give each other very loving looks. But that chemistry is not necessarily romantic.They have often come across as sisters or friends more than partners. To be fair though, although they were never overly physical with each other, I do believe that they had better romantic chemistry during seasons 5 and 6. I have no idea what happened after that but the shower scenes, the on-call room scenes, the stolen kisses on a stairwell…that was all gone.

• Ellen says:

I agree with you, I was only pointing out why they kept her. I think their “romantic” scenes are best when they are sad (the “don”t”-scene in bed, first break up scene, and elevator scene after break up). They have chemistry then, but the “sexy times”, not so much. But that does not mean I don’t want them to stay together.

• missy says:

I don’t feel Jessica Capshaw has been holding back the whole time on GA just after the fans embraced Callie and Arizona as a couple (can you say signed contract) did I think she pulled back. When I watch the scenes with Hilarie Burton I feel it is Burton who is taking charge over the scenes and how it’s going to play out that makes the attraction. But if Burton does stick around it won’t be long before Capshaw fizzle out that pairing as well.
        Also feel that the whole Callie side all season I don’t get. To me the writer’s made two sides. One from Callie’s point of view and one from Arizona’s view. Then tried to bring the story together in the end and it almost came together when out of nowhere we are hit with this cheating crap.
        I like both Sara Ramirez and Jessica Capshaw they are great actor’s but it would be ok with me if the character’s went their separate ways and Callie found someone woman or man who really loved her for who she is.

7. Sam says:

I was hoping that Callie dint make a scene with the whole hospital. She already did that with George. I was hoping that she would be able to internalise it much like Cristina did and deal with it that way. idk would have like that type of maturity….
    I see custody battle for sure!

• GS says:

No custody battle to have. Sophia is Mark and Callie’s biological child. Arizona has no biological or legal claim to her.

• Sam says:

No technical battle but will kinda make Callie look like a monster for keeping her away from Sofia… Yea even though Az cheated…

• bluefairy says:

I’m pretty sure Arizona adopted Sophia at some point. I remember there was a scene before Mark’s death when AZ complained that she had no claim to Sophia and she asked for a legal document that gave her parental rights. Callie then promised she would get her such a document. It was never mentioned again, but since Mark is now dead and C&A are married and raising Sophia together, we can easily assume AZ has parental rights too. But since she has no biological ties to Sophia, Callie would probably win any custody battle anyway.

• Babygate says:

Back in S8 Callie agreed to sign papers for Arizona to have legal rights to Sofia. Besides, Callie had never treated Arizona as anything less than a parent to their baby. She was.willing to have Mark be only an uncle but she wanted to parent with Arizona. I doubt that Callie will try to deny Arizona access to Sofia because while Callie is a very passionate and impulsive, she’s also fair.

• TBH says:

she does actually. They signed some sort of legal document as other’s have stated. So Arizona is her adoptive mother and has a right to at least partial custody or visitations. I think it would be interested to explore this angle actually. Have them in a custody dispute while still having to work and parent together. they haven’t done that storyline before.

8. GS says:

I cannot stand Arizona! She has been annoying since the day she came on the show! The lesbian marriage doesn’t bother me at all but I just can’t grasp why Callie would want her whiny behind!! I’ve never been fully onboard with Callie being gay since she was crazy about George and very much enjoyed sex with Mark, then all of a sudden had the hots for Hahn. Just too forced. Give Arizona a blood infection or something and kill her off. I’d be very happy with that!

• Olivia says:

Lol, aren’t you a ray of sunshine.

• GS says:

Just the character…nothing against Jessica Capshaw. Arizona has never been one of my favorites if you couldn’t tell…lol.

• bluefairy says:

Yeah, Callie’s bisexuality came out of nowhere and felt a bit forced. It was like “oh, Isaiah Washington was a homophobic jerk? quick, let’s write in some gay characters so that the gay people out there won’t stop watching the show!” Anyway, like others said, AZ has more chemistry with Lauren than with Callie. I wish they just broke up already and Callie found someone less shallow and self-centered.

• Lea says:

Callie had the best chemistry with Mark. The ”chemistry” between Calzona is too forced and most of the time they acted like friends than spouses.

• Morgan says:

Could not agree more. Callie and Arizona have zero chemistry. And Sara Ramirez’s acting was terrible most of Season 9. Callie seemed like a complete phony. She was back to her old self by the end of the season though, to my delight. Callie and Mark had perfect chemistry. And Callie and Erica had much better chemistry than Calzona, as do Lauren and Arizona. I hope Calzona are done for good in Season 10 and Callie returns to men. I also want Lauren to return to the show for Arizona.

• A says:

While I came to accept Callie’s bisexuality a while ago, I too found it a bit forced. I understood the attraction to Hahn and that sort of experimentation she was doing with her because she was so hurt by her marriage with George, but then the flip-flopping back and forth was just a little weird. I, personally have always thought that she had amazing chemistry with Mark and that Mark and Callie were better than the whole Mark and Lexie drama.

9. Maia says:

She did not cut off her leg she saved her life !

Arizona took a cheap shot at her , because she didn’t want to take responsibility for her actions !

• Nadica says:

She saved her life, and she also DID cut her leg! :) But I don’t think that the leg is the big issue here. I think that the leg is just a portal, that will take us to the real stuff that bother Arizona, and therefore Calzona. They have many unresolved issues, cause they went through every problem with lighting speed, but only because they love each other so much. At this point i really don’t know how things will resolve for the two of them, maybe they’ll separate, and start dating other. However, I do believe that Calzona is an end game

• Sam says:

Ehm not so sure about the endgame…read THR’s Rhimes article. She talks about lesbian divorce and 2 major lesbian relationships on network tv… So endgame questionable….. Rhimes is also cryptic about why Az cheated…. It’s not the leg Az apparently got over that….it’s something more…. Who knows….. I say prepare for the worst…..

• Nadica says:

Prepare for the worst indeed. She will tear them apart, she will probably have them date other people. But they have a huge fan base, probably the biggest on GA. IMO the whole more than one major gay relationship is just part of the journey. Cause I get the feeling that she really wants to make them even more complex (as if they weren’t till now) and make their fans suffer, but in the end she always knows how to appreciate fans and give them what they want. She just wants to make sure the fans have earned it. I still thing that Calzona is endgame, but then again I might be wrong. However, I expect it to be interesting, to see how thing develop.

• Real Talk says:

Unfortunately I bet you’re right. I think by the end of season 10 we will have had no happy Calzona times and I bet even in the finale we’ll be left wondering, probably pretty hopelessly, if Calzona will ever get back together again. Though we’ll probably have a ton of insight as to why the cheating happened and we’ll have probably seen some pretty epic arguments between the two, I’m not expecting a happy ending. I can certainly hope for one though…

• Sam says:

I can agree with you on that. It will be interesting but how will she give them the required screen time to do all of this is what I do not get! Coz interns are being made ‘fabric of the hospital’ so for some weird reason am not holding on to much hope… Redeeming Az’s character will take a lot then add to the fact that Burton may be back later in the season…. Eh…
            To all the people that think Laurzona had major chemistry I agree…. But y not look at the beginning of Calzona’s relationship or even S8…. S9 was set up for things to look off, it was all building up to something…..

• Nadica says:

I don’t think that the new interns will have drastically more screen time, than before. Although, I agree that we need and we want more Clazona screen time. I guess Shonda will manage to tell the story as she did it before, with minimal screen time and awesome acting from both of them. I guess she needed to get new interns, cause some of the old (original) cast may be leaving after season 10. And @Real Talk – i really too do hope for a happy Calzona ending, with a, as you said, epic arguments and fights in between, but also the known loving looks :)

10. Lea says:

Arizona sucks, she’s selfish and I just can’t stand her since the start with that too forced smile. I love Callie when she’s away from her so a single Callie in season 10 would be great to see.

• Ellen says:

Hmm, let’s see….
      *Arizona agreed to stay in when Callie could not afford to go out: SELFISH
      *Arizona stood up to Callie’s dad when he cut her off: SELFISH
      *Arizona brought Callie donuts to cheer her up when George died: SELFISH
      *Arizona made Callie see that she did not want Izzie to die, but was in fact praying for her
      to live when they were in the chapel: SELFISH
      *Arizona did not like Mark, but suck it up and made friends with him because she loved
      Callie: SELFISH
      *Arizona loved Callie enough to let her go when she went to Africa, because she knew Callie
      would be miserable there: SELFISH
      *Arizona came back, and accepted MARK’s kid: SELFISH
      Yeah, I can totally see why people think Arizona is selfish. NOT

• Nadica says:

I don’t know you Ellen, but Amen sister :) and I’m sure there are hundreds more examples like the ones you mentioned

• Karla Bautista says:

Thank you for this!! Now I love you :P

• Ellen says:

You’re welcome, and thank you! :-) I really think that Arizona needs some support. Not that I agree with what she did, but I don’t think Shonda knows the damage she’s done with this BS story line. I find it strange that people does not see that this is not the real Arizona, she’s totally not herself. The real Arizona would NEVER cheat. And people are so angry at Arizona, saying she has to leave because she cheated. Well, if cheating is the reason for characters to leave the show, there would hardly be anyone left. It’s not like she’s the only one that has cheated. And still, I have not seen this strong reaction to any of the other character’s cheating. Maybe it’s because it was just so unbelievable for Arizona to do it……..

• Nadica says:

It’s not simply because it’s not her style to cheat, but because it happened so late in their relationship. They’ve been through everything, and there was never anything that may lead us even close to one of them cheating. People are mainly taking Callie’s side because she stayed by Arizona when she was yelling at her and ignoring her, but that is just a part of the whole Calzona puzzle. However, I really don’t know how will Shonda repair the damage she had done to Arizona’s character, but she sure will try. I mean the woman made us fall in love with Addison, after the entrance she had in the series. I have no idea, what will it take to make people like Arizona again, but it should be a nice ride. I guess will have to wait to season 10 finale, to actually see where Calzona stands.

• A says:

I personally think it’s in Arizona’s very nature to cheat because she always came across to me as the type of person who will screw you over big time if you screw her, but that may be just me.

• Sammy says:

@Nadica we never saw Addison while the cheating was happening….I am sure if Mark came in for 3 episodes and Addy cheated with him, she would be as hated coz by then I would also reckon that people would be invested in Addison and Derek as a couple….so thr in lies the difference where the cheating is concerned….
            yea she was hated by Merder fans but they showed Addy as some1 who was sorry and wanted to try to save her marriage….you felt for her….and blamed her….as weird as that sounds….
            whereas LB came out looking like she dint care who or what she was doing…not saying Az is not at fault, it was her decision but Idk, I am not sure how many people would actively chase a woman who is married and has a kid and who you have know for a few days…. Just saying….
            Also they are going to milk this story all season long….plus everyone that is talking chemistry….season 9 was supposed to look off between Callie and Arizona…. Where as in S7 n S8 JCap was preggers….eh maybe that’s why the chemistry fizzled and also they dint try like the direction was off… Just saying…..

• Real Talk says:

Can I get an ‘amen!’

• Babygate says:

Lol. This sounds so much like when people were sure that Lauren wasn’t real because Arizona couldn’t possibly cheat. Arizona followed Callie into the bathroom because she wanted to hit on her. She brought her donuts because that’s how SHE, Arizona, coped with loss and because they were dating. There is nothing particularly heroic or unselfish about that or most of the instances you cite for that matter. The most unselfish thing Arizona did and for which I give her credit, was accepting Mark in her life. That was huge. But accepting the pregnancy? No. She did not leave Callie at that airport because she was unselfish. Quite the contrary. Callie was ‘ruining Africa’ for her so she cut her off. THAT was incredibly selfish. And when she came back it was because SHE missed Callie. Not because she had an epiphany and realized she had been a douchebag at the airport. And although it was understandable that she was upset about the pregnancy, she had no right to judge Callie for it. Like when Mer was sleeping around after Derek decided to go back to Addison. But Arizona’s ultimate act of selfishness was begging Callie not to leave her when she knew Callie was hurting only to break her by cheating. I don’t think that Arizona is more selfish than the average person. But neither do I agree with the idea that she’s this unselfish, prodigious victim who has just been ‘suffering’ through Callie’s neglect and/or abuse. Just keeping it real…

• Emma says:

I have never been so happy to read a comment from someone else who clearly just gets it, you know what I mean? Callie must be getting lonely up on that pedestal everyone seems to have put her own, heaven forbid (excuse the term) Callie ever do anything wrong, like ever!

• Ellen says:

Yeah, it has always been Arizona supporting Callie. Don’t think I’ve seen the other way around until the Nick story line. I’ve just re-watched season 9 up until Bailey’s wedding, and now that I know the end of the season, I’m really sad about how Callie has been putting pressure on Arizona. Some of the things Callie said, hurt her a lot. In my opinion, Arizona is not mad at Callie for saving her life. She is mad because Callie promised not to cut it of,. And she really believed her, because she is, after all, an “ortho God”. Was it right of her to make Callie promise? No, but she was desperate. Just like Callie was desperate to comfort her wife by promising. I could be wrong ofcourse, but these are my thoughts anyway……..

• Ellen says:

Just to be clear, I like Callie very much, and really hope they work things out, and stay together.

• MelidaJ says:

*Arizona saw Callie looking upset in the bar, and followed her to cheer her up: SELFISH – Then decided she could be with her because she was in the first stages of liking women.

*Arizona agreed to stay in when Callie could not afford to go out: SELFISH – but first whined about Callie having a bad attitude and acting weird after the date.

*Arizona stood up to Callie’s dad when he cut her off: SELFISH – No she didn’t, she said she was raised to be the “good man in a storm”, so she didn’t stand up to him, just told him she was a good person… whiny and self-centered, but good.

*Arizona brought Callie donuts to cheer her up when George died: SELFISH – Ok, so she brought donuts… yay for her. An act of kindness does not erase the whiny…

to live when they were in the chapel: SELFISH – Anyone could have done that, heck, even Christina would have done it… in a total get-your-ass-out-here kinda way
        Callie: SELFISH – She did NOT suck it up, she did not make friends with him, until AFTER Callie was pregnant… let’s keep our timeline straight
        *Arizona finally agreed to have kids with Callie because she loved her so much: SELFISH – Arizona did not agree to have kids… she showed up when Callie was already pregnant. She wanted Callie, so she had to want the baby too… Granted, she fell in love with the baby as well, but that came after.
        would be miserable there: SELFISH – Let’s keep this straight… she did NOT let Callie go… She DUMPED her at the boarding line in the airport… I don’t remember her apologizing… Yeah, maybe Callie complained, but who wouldn’t? Besides, Arizona couldn’t hack it out there anyway, so she basically dumped her because she was upset… Stupid

*Arizona came back, and accepted MARK’s kid: SELFISH – Yes, she accepted Mark’s baby, but let’s remember that she did that because she wanted Callie back… It was a package deal… that she fell in love with the baby and became a mom was only expected.

Yeah, I can totally see why people think Arizona is selfish. NOT – Maybe not as much selfish as she is self-centered. Let’s not forget that it was her temper tantrum that got them into that accident that almost killed Callie and Sofia, because Callie was texting Mark…

• Sizwe says:

Preach!!

11. Mareesa says:

Bring back Lauren.

12. Liz says:

WTH?? I thought Arizona’s cheating was all about the leg! And now it’s not??
    Whatever… it’s Grey’s, so the lack of continuity should not suprise me anymore…

• A says:

Even though I know it’s her show, I kind of disagree with what Shonda said as well about Arizona’s not holding a grudge. I definitely think it’s still about the leg. Remember in the finale when Arizona said: “Stick out your leg and let me get a bone saw so we can even the score”. She definitely hasn’t gotten over it completely because she uses it constantly as an excuse to hurt and put Callie down. She may have gotten over it in terms of just trying to move on with her life and get back to work, but she is definitely holding a grudge IMO and that fight in the finale definitely proved it.

13. sharon says:

Thanks for the warning. What else is on in that time slot?

14. megan says:

Matt, did you happen to get any scoop on Alex and Jo? I know I saw you tweet to Camilla. Just wondering :)

15. jess k says:

Oh yay, another Calzona season. I’m so excited…. Wonder what else airs at that time of night on Thursday…

• Babygate says:

If the five minutes that Callie and Arizona combined get an episode is too offensive or distracting for you, there is Glee on Fox and CBS has that new comedy with Robin Williams on at the same time. And cable also offers a variety of options.

16. Vanessa says:

It kind of bugs me when people say Callie was the selfish one. Honestly, I think they were both selfish at some point. Callie tried to be there for Arizona while she coped with losing her best friend but Arizona pushed her away. Arizona never really asked how Callie was because “she wasn’t there.” The fact that she want there doesn’t mean it didn’t affect her. It obviously did, it affected her while relationship with Arizona. Callie pushed Arizona but it wasn’t always for the bad. (Bailey’s wedding episode) I felt like Arizona wanted to blame everything that went wrong on Callie, like she is doing with the cheating. It can be seen as Callie’s fault just the way it can be seen as Arizona’s. Honestly they never really got to talk about any of it S9… Part of me wants them to work things out but the other party out me just wants them to go there separate ways.

• Babygate says:

It bugs me too that people even attempt to paint Callie as the selfish one when Arizona refused to acknowledge that Callie had experienced any kind of loss as a result of the crash. As a matter of fact, she insisted that Callie desist from claiming any loss. Callie gave Arizona every thing she needed and she took it when Arizona would verbally abuse her to the point of calling Sofia “your daughter”. Callie never held that against her wife. She just stood there and even when she felt close to her breaking point, she didn’t leave. I hate the whole cheating storyline as much as anyone else but to try to blame Callie for it by calling her selfish and thus immunizing Arizona reeks of desperation to me. Moreover, the facts and history do not support that assertion, at all.

17. sandy says:

Team Calzona all the way! I thought they were really fun in the beginning, and I would love to see them get back to that place together. I believe there is a lot of work to be done, but that will make them stronger.

• Real Talk says:

I hope you’re right!

• Sizwe says:

Yaay! To team Calzona. I love them too and really hope they bounce back from this, they need lots and lots of therapy

• issi says:

the love between callie and arizona is very very strong i mean look how many times they’ve broken up and at the end of the day they got married so hopfully they’ll forgive one another for everything and get back together because i believe in them

18. Emma says:

You know what I’d really love – some Arizona centric scoop, I would say pretty much 9 times out of 10 any Calzona scoop we get is Callie centric. I actually get that Arizona’s cheating isn’t fully about the leg. Let us be honest here, and I’m not a Callie hater, I do really like her too but Arizona is the one who has made the most sacrifices for their relationship, always trying her best even if she did fail sometimes, to be what Callie wanted / needed. If you actually look back to when Arizona came to where she is now, so much about her has changed in both good and bad ways, and for once I’d like to see Shonda explore that. A storyline that should of been Arizona centric – i.e losing her leg, we got a couple episodes and the rest was all about Callie yet again, then Shonda makes Arizona do something shocking at the end of the season and suddenly Arizona is hated and been seen as some kind of pariah.

19. Anthony says:

It’s “tiny humans”. Not little humans….. That was one of the first lines Arazona ever said to Kerev

20. Chele says:

Wasn’t AZ talking to Callie about something while walking down the hall in the finale and Callie totally interrupted her to say something else….I think that was telling in how Callie is a little selfish…does not excuse the cheating, but an example of it’s all Callie ….

21. A says:

“Callie doesn’t hide it from the hospital, how she’s feeling,” Ramirez reveals with a small chuckle. “No, she lets it be known!” –> LMAO this is why I love Callie. This should definitely be entertaining.

22. Claire says:

Bring back Hahn.

23. Mcyummy says:

Sara and JCap had intense chemistry is season 6. I don’t know what the freak happened after that. I’m just happy I got Laura Prepon and Taylor Schilling intensity to look forward to now.

• Babygate says:

Two thumbs way up for this comment. The only thing I can think of is that Lee took over ABC right around that time. But def, their chemistry took a nose dive with S7.
      And, so agree that Laure and Taylor bring have def raised the bar. They don’t even have to touch each other and they sizzle together…

24. Mcyummy says:

The only reason Callie and Mark had chemistry was because they were both loopy goofballs that couldn’t be taken seriously. If you think about the transformation of Callie over the yrs, think initial dark emo serious hair chewer to lovesick pitiful scorned spouse to bisexual awakened child to slapstick comedy goofball with Mark Sloan to finally somewhat mature with Arizona Robbins. The very fact that she’s resorting to blabbing her and her wife’s problems to the world shows regression back to Her silly George days. Callie has always been a fav of mine due to her comedy relief but as far as relationships go, she should only be married to medicine because I think she’s incapable of taking a person seriously. I cringed when she revoked Arizona’s bathroom mishap to Bailey and now she’s going to shoot her mouth off about her struggling PTSD wife’s issues. That’s not love, thats ridiculousness. And I used to be a hardcore Calzona shipper and a part of me still is but my faith is gone.

• Ellen says:

You read my mind! Callie should not involve the rest of the hospital in their marriage problems. And that line to Bailey about cleaning pee of the floor, that was horrible. I’m glad that Arizona did not hear it. Callie said it was a joke, but you can clearly see that it really wasn’t. I watched it again yesterday, and it made me sad.

25. Marge says:

Lauren Boswell is a freaking joke. And if by “chemistry” between her and Arizona you mean, “the lights went out and lightening was flashing” – then sure, there was chemistry. Thanks to the atmosphere and special effects! She is not needed or wanted on the show. Hope she stays far far away – go to some other hospital and break up another marriage.

Callie and Arizona have seemed “off” because they were meant to… season 9, and even season 7 until after the crash, they were going through some heavy crap. They were, however, at their very best in season 6; season 8 as well only they didn’t really have much to do. I think they are going to be explosive in season 10.

After EVERYTHING these two have been through together and for each other, how can Shonda not have them end up together?! It would be ridiculous. Maybe, MAYBE, if Mark was still alive, I could see trouble in paradise. Let’s be real, no one has ever loved Callie – understood Callie – like Mark. But he’s a non-factor now ( :( ) and, most importantly, I do think Callie and Arizona “work” – they just haven’t been given the right material lately. But much like Meredith and Derek, these two have got to be destined to be together. Especially, if anything, this late in the game with series. You don’t build 5 years of a relationship just to piss it away. Shonda, get your head out of your ass!

26. cas says:

I always thought Callie decided to give lesbian love a try because of the way things ended with George. And now she learned even females cheat. So maybe she will go back and get a hot guy? Although I will say I always thought Callie should end up with Mark and I was still holding out for that until he died :( Sigh. I also, liked Lauren and I agree that chemistry with Lauren and Arizona was great. Either way, if Callie ends up forgiving Arizona I won’t throw a big fit over it. I’m not too invested in them either way.

27. Samantha says:

Its cute how the Arizona fans are trying to make Callie out to be the selfish one. But she tried really hard for Arizona in season 9. She rose up from the person she was and supported her wife in everyway, took the hurt she was feeling from the loss of her friend and bottled it up, gave Arizona her space by staying at Mark’s. She moved at Arizona’s pace of living. Most people think the bathroom scene was her abusing Arizona, but what should she have done? Leave her sitting there?? “There’s nowhere else to go this is my life now too” those aren’t the words of a selfish person. It took her months to even talk to Callie and 3days to cheat. PTSD be damned, she did it for another reason!

28. Samantha says:

Its cute how the Arizona fans are trying to make Callie out to be the selfish one. But she tried really hard for Arizona in season 9. She rose up from the person she was and supported her wife in everyway, took the hurt she was feeling from the loss of her Best friend/ father of her daughter and bottled it up!. Arizona verbally abused her but she did nothing. Saying she should have listened to arizona about starting new else where, what would that have done? Leave the life they’ve know rather than help out and rebuild the hospital? She gave Arizona her space by staying at Mark’s. She moved at Arizona’s pace of living. Most people think the bathroom scene was her abusing Arizona, but what should she have done? Leave her sitting there?? “There’s nowhere else to go this is my life now too” those aren’t the words of a selfish person. It took her months to even talk to Callie and 3days to cheat. PTSD be damned, she did it for another reason! And that with Lauren wasn’t chemistry it was lust.. After the sex it became awkward! Calzona in the early seasons had that but let’s thank Shonda for doing things differently!

29. libby says:

I think some of the reason the sizzle went out for Callie and Arizona on screen after season 6 is because Jessica Capshaw has had two pregnancy spanning from season 7 to season 9 if I am not mistaken. I am sure Capshaw only started looking and feeling her self towards the end of season 9 right in time for Lauren. Even actor’s can be uncomfortable with their body’s during pregnancy and after given birth. So I feel Calzona will get the sizzle back late in season 10. That’s my hope at least.
    Shonda maybe is starting to rethink the cheating and now is trying to back track that it’s not about the leg. Might be too late to turn back now. Fans might not forgive and forget.
    I have no problem with gay couple’s having the same issues as straight couple’s. But guess what their are many straight couple’s that don’t cheat. Shonda should watch some episodes of The Fosters to see you can have two strong women commited to each other and have drama at the sametime without falling into some peoples idea of a stereotypical gay couple. Hope season 10 turns out better then I think.

30. grace says:

first shonda claims the cheating was fueld by all her reading about PTSD and how those losing a limb may act out via in appropriate sexual actions. Now she’s claiming its NOT about the leg? So what? AZ was just pissed at Callie and outright tried to hurt her? Someone should tell JCap that because all her interviews end of S9 were saying she couldn’t play the cheating that way.

Look both Callie and AZ have had great chemistry and awful chemistry over the course of their relationship but for the most part the whole thing has been played out from Callie’s POV. AZ has repeatedly given up parts of herself (caved in on kids, caved in on her Carter Madison award and dream of changing peds care in africa to return to Callie because she realized the depth of her love for her and couldn’t live without her, accepted Callie’s kid with Mark rather than having a kid together with Callie, accepted MARK IN HER KITCHEN EVERY MORNING and in their home/her wifes live 24/7, should I go on?) AZ has been a doormat and honestly when she fought to make it home to her wife from the plane crash she STILL had to deal with a wife who was NOT present 24/7 for her but who was in Marks room/emotionally tied to him rather than her wife. Callie failed to save AZ’s best friend from the cancer she initially said she could cure and then based on what we saw on screen – spent more time with Mark than AZ in their first 5 weeks after the crash – and while Callie worked night and day to fix Derick bring in other experts for consult – she what? talked to Owen about AZ’s “leg plan” and said the second string ortho could handle the surgery? where was her drive to find the best for AZ’? The first time we see her interact with AZ in 9×1 is when she is screaming at her to get the hell up because she/callie lost MARK and can’t do it with Sofia alone? She slams AZ into the shower wall like a rag doll and that’s supposed to be tough love? looked more like spouse abuse to me. Where was her compassion and recognition that her wife was going through PTSD? Callie is a “horney bear” with the interns while her wife is suffering from PTSD?

Look I happen to like Callie, but I’ll be the first to admit that Callie is all about Callie. Her inability to cut the cord with Mark – her steadfast I ain’t moving from the hell mouth/SGMDeath for you to go do works in africa without making your life miserable – and her total lack of consideration for her wifes POV after this crash while moaning about how horney she is to interns, slamming her wife into walls, and bitching at her wife for not having sex with her 4 months after her surg – well that has left me not caring if she got cheated on again.

Don’t get me wrong i could go on about AZ to – but at this point what’s the point. AZ gave away pieces of herself and then callie cut off a piece of her – so how can they go on from there?

Shonda is most likely going to hook callie and owen and repeate the one night stand baby on board thing – which would open the door to owne being a dad and still available to be with christina

Let AZ find a hot gf she doesn’t have to give up her dreams for and move on.

• Samantha says:

Okay AZ fan we get that you’re trying to justify her actions, but let’s start with the children issue. We are all calling Cristina selfish for not considering Owen’s side and her alone which is sort of what AZ did. Said she didn’t want kids “period” Callie kept bouncing back and forth and said she didn’t want kids if it meant she didn’t get to have AZ! (2) The africa SL, she was ready to pack her bags and get one a plane and leave her life for 3 years for Arizona she’s allowed to have some reluctance, she’s human! So she showed it in a rather silly manner and AZ just left her cause she couldn’t handle her bickering. (Yeah, Queen of selflessness!!) (3) how do you handle and care for someone that verbally abuses you, yells and wants to be left alone? If Callie has stayed you fans would have said she was smothering so she gave AZ time to heal like she wanted. She moved to mark’s apartment to give her space, maybe you would be preferred if she left AZ on the floor in urine. Or took a washcloth and start dabbing her to make her feel more handicapped! Why did AZ yell at that kid in 9×13? Because sometimes someone in that hole needs a little push to see there’s more than just the bad side…

• grace says:

I for one do NOT think Christina is selfish for not wanting kids. Rather I think Owen is a jerk and that Christina is insane for being with him for so long. I find Christina’s honesty about not wanting kids refreshing and I would hate it if she caved on this issue which is obviously a core value for her.

Callie agreed to go to African but never once did she show AZ she was proud of her accomplishment in winning the award or that she honored AZ’s values in wanting to make a difference in care for african children. Rather she was totally passive agressive, she was upset she would be giving up those “big plans” the chef kept teasing her about (which we all know never amounted to anything) and Mark finally called her out on her actions telling her she may love AZ but she also needed to love Africa is she was going to go and make the move work. Callie never did “love africa” and AZ finally realized callie couldn’t/wouldn’t share her dream and would be miserable and make her/AZ if she went – so broke it off in the airport. Lousy but it was what it was – and Callie had a ticket in hand/no job or home — she could have said heck no – I’m coming and just gotten on the plane anyway — but she didn’t — she didn’t want to go and when AZ gave her an out she gave AZ an ultimatum and walked back to Mark

Callie sleeping at Marks during AZ’s return home after the accident was just Callie doing what she always did – run to marks — she had a wife who was suffering from physical and mental problems and instead of facing things head on – sleeping on the couch if she had to or in sofia’s room – she ran to marks – again. sorry but as much as i love callie (even with all her flaws i can’t help but love this character as SaRa plays her) I can’t turn a blind eye to how she handles her problems and treats her wife.

That’s not to say I don’t find faulty with AZ as well – she’s done plenty too. She keeps things in and doesn’t face the hard stuff, often trying to remain in the pink bubble/sexy part of things. She doesn’t express her doubts and issues etc. She walked away rather than working it out before they hit the airport and she put her head in the sand over Callie having Marks kid trying to convince herself he was just a sperm donor – until it bit her in the butt and she was left fighting with Mark outside callies hospital room and being called “NOTHING” by him. she cheated rather than dealing with the issues between her and Callie – and that just isn’t right – and sure as heck needs to be addressed.

all in all these are two flawed characters who just may need to move on.

• Samantha says:

She was giving up her career and everything she had in Seattle for Arizona, that’s not something easy. She could have loved Africa but they both never really sat down to talk it out. Callie didn’t want to lose her so she upped and decided to follow her. How do you jump a plane with someone that just said you’re ruining my plans and I DON’T WANT TO GO WITH YOU? A sense of rejection from someone that claims to love you isn’t something you just overlook. It wasn’t Mark she ran to she was looking for a safe haven. She considered Derek’s trailer is that Mark too? The idea of staying in her dead best friend’s house hurt her more than staying in that house with her resentful/hateful/angry wife. Arizona called her a disappointment, she did make a plan to save her leg but Arizona just didn’t make it long enough for the surgery. How was she meant to operate on her with the emotional attachment??
          Yes it took 2 to get to where they are but Callie gave her an out in. Are You In or Are You Out. She left her and came back because she was missing her girlfriend, you can’t just hurt someone and change your mind. How was she meant to tell Mark off? It is his kid! And that part about Callie and Owen is just so off! She’s not a baby pouch that just spits out babies… Lol.

• A says:

I’d like to see you try to deal with cutting off your wife’s leg and having a raging mad and disabled partner around you all the while dealing with the death of your best friend/father of your child/the only constant person in her life. That is difficult for one person to deal with at DIFFERENT points in their lives let alone having to deal with it all at once. Callie stayed at Mark’s place to grieve for herself and her loss but to also give space to Arizona because she knew she was going through a rough time and needed to be alone for a while to come to terms with her new reality and to heal.
          Callie has her faults, but I still firmly believe Arizona is a selfish character. After all, people seem to forget that the only reason she was on the plane in the first place was because she threw a hissy fit and was pissed off because Alex got an amazing job offer at Hopkins and was making plans to move on with his life and she didn’t want him to leave. She was selfish and wasn’t supportive of him and so to punish him she took his spot on the plane and look what happened to her. She hasn’t learned to accept that she is a pretty bitchy and crappy person a lot of the times and for all the good things she does, aside from her tiny humans, she does not know how to treat people well and with kindness and respect. She completely diminished Callie’s loss from the plane crash as insignificant (see the finale) and I still believe her cheating was an intentional way to get back at Callie.

• Samantha says:

Exactly! Thank you A for that… No one seemed to see how much Callie was hurting and everything she had to deal with. She lost her best friend/father of her child which is something utterly terrible but she couldn’t grief because she had Arizona to care for, Arizona who treated her poorly for months! Arizona cheated and still had the guts to say she wants to “even the score” Callie didn’t lose anything? She lost Mark, Arizona almost died! Arizona just wanted her lose a limb and be where she was. Bring a bonesaw and let me chop off your leg and even the score? Those aren’t the words of someone selfless! Callie had her fault… YES she did but in s9 she grew for Arizona. And arizona didn’t see that, normal Callie in a tight space would drink and do something stupid. She stayed and helped with the board issues, the hospital issues, Arizona saw them as flaws because the had resentment, anger towards her. Alex said “Callie is trying too”… She was trying but poor poor pouting Arizona is all everyone wanted to see…

• A says:

@Samantha. Yes! I don’t get people trying to make Arizona sound like this good person. Aside from the amazing work she does in her job, I don’t think she is. Arizona also wanted to take the money and leave. Why? What difference would moving have made because Callie would still have to go through what Arizona put her through and Arizona would probably have still treated her like crap. Callie maybe did take on too much with helping save the hospital, helping save Derek’s hand, raising Sofia, and dealing with how to help her wife, but that’s the kind of person she is. She helps the people she cares about. Derek is a close friend of hers and he was also Mark’s best friend and through his death there is definitely that increased friendship, support and connection. They both knew what losing Mark felt like more than anyone else. Of course she was going to work her butt off to help him.
            The hospital was also the place they all work at. It was the place they all essentially grew up and became better doctors and they have gone through hell and back in and it was really Callie’s only family at the time because her own family was in ruins with a dead friend/father of child and a wife that currently hated her guts and treated her like crap. She needed something to take on something that she can handle to lessen the weight she felt from trying to constantly help Arizona
            While watching the season, I was initially completely for supporting Arizona even thought she was one of my least favorite characters. I understood that she had to go through whatever she needed to go through to get back to her life. If that took some harsh words and emotional breakdowns towards Callie then I was okay with that because losing a leg is not something you just get over like that. However, over the course of the season, you see Arizona become this incredibly mean person. Cruel as well. It’s not so much the cheating that angered me (if I hated everyone on this show who cheated, there would really be no character to like), but it was they way she did it to hurt Callie. She was so hurtful to Callie that it really takes away from the sympathy of the many of the viewers.
            Also, to other people saying we don’t get to see Arizona’s side of things. I actually think we do see her point of view; it’s just not a likeable one. We see how she treats the people who love her. We see how vengeful she can be, how cruel she can be, how she doesn’t acknowledge the losses of the people closest to her as being just as significant as her own, and we see how she chooses not to confront underlying issues and keep them bottled up. Bottom line, Arizona has really always been this deeply fake and unlikeable character to many. We’ll just have to wait and see if season 10 changes that a bit.

• Samantha says:

@A Shonda kind of made Arizona hard to hate with the person acting the role. But she really isn’t the person with the best moral compass. Exactly! It was dumb suggesting they move away, leaving their friends and everyone jobless. Callie thought of everyone of them before making that decision. Arizona was okay with Pegasus taking over as long as she had the money from the suing! Callie’s decisions were more grown than ever this season, she took on a lot and never tried to shy away from anything. She failed and got blamed at first for Derek’s hand, another failure she got saddled with. Yes I agreed about her and Derek, at least he was there for her even if it was just a little. She needed to have a win, she lost that when she couldn’t help Arizona’s leg, she just needed to feel needed so she took up other responsibilities that she could have handle over. Things with Arizona weren’t something she understood or had handle over. She tried this season. She might have had her flaws in 7. But she really made up for a lot this 9. Honestly I’m 100% behind everything you just said about arizona. She changed this 9 and Shonda saying that its not about the leg anymore just brings out the fact that its pure revenge. She said she wanted to “even the score” that isn’t something you say to someone that you claim to love. Callie might have skipped some steps but she did more things right and as for the shower scene, that was the push Arizona needed to understand that this amputation was not her burden alone but all people see is “she abused her wife”, arizona did way worse things but all they see is Arizona. Callie gave her the space she needed to heal and she decided to pout and mope. She had the resentment/anger/hate all through the season and asked Callie not to run only to cheat? And then blame the actions on a chain reaction from the amputation. That was cruel!

• Zena says:

I couldn’t have said it any better , you hit the nail on the head

31. Samantha says:

32. Krithika says:

Ugh Shonda. How much more do you plan on torturing Callie? Hasn’t she had enough to last her 3 lifetimes???

33. Arie says:

Umm…let me remind everyone: IT’S A TV SHOW. It’s meant to be all drama. Now, I think there is very little reason to hate Callie or Arizona. EVERYONE is at least a little selfish, so we can stop having that battle on who’s more selfish than who. As for the chemistry, I have no idea what everyone is talking about, because I’ve loved and seen chemistry from these two from the get go. They truly love eachother. so arizona “stared at laurens butt”, that doesnt mean suddenlu that they have more chemistry than calzona. its all in the writing as well. Remember, Rhimes wrote Lauren in such a way that was meant to throw all the fans for a loop, and it’s even mentioned by Jackson in the finale just how much everyone loves Lauren because she’s just that way. She radiates this energy, and she was purposely written and thrown into the relationship this way. Another thing, Arizona has PTSD for sure, and Rhimes will definitely play that up. There’s a reason this past season everyone thinks the chemistry has been lacking, and it’s because there are all these underlying issues that Arizona never addressed for herself. I think that Rhimes will break these two up and give them hell, but that ultimately they will end up together because they are meant to be. Which is wonderful to me because they’re my OTP. OH, and for everyone that thinks Callie and mark had more chemistry…they totally had chemistry: best friend chemistry. And I loved that relationship. Mark and LEXIE are meant to be as well. So mark was never even a considering factor in my opinion. I think that’s it haha done ranting.

34. Mcyummy says:

Lol I love how team Callie and team Arizona have these intense verbal wars whenever Shonda puts the couple through crap. Shonda has put this couple through so much crap my head spins and I have no clue who’s entitled to be the “good” guy in the relationship anymore. But that’s the funny thing, why is it human nature to always pick a good guy and a bad guy when they’re both clearly hurting for their own reasons and they’re facing a tough time together. You don’t spend (5 seasons) with another person, fighting to be together, agreeing to disagree, fighting to make love to each other, agreeing to marry and spend your life with, if you don’t love that person. They both CLEARLY love one another. Callie doesn’t/ never was in love with Mark. Never. She had many chances to be with him and she didn’t want him, she wanted Arizona.

35. cin says:

I love the two of them together! I hope ABC doesn’t drop the ball with these two! Awesome storyline.

• Sizwe says:

I love them( Callie and Arizona) together too. Lauren is not convincing, she seems like a one night stand kinda girl. I seriously do hope that season 10 will be about them getting through to their troubles and attending therapy

36. Amberlynn says:

Callie and Arizona have no chemistry? Seriously, are you off your rocker?? I think a lot of you are completely confused and discombobulated over two completely different things; love and lust. Callie and Arizona love each other. There is a massive difference between that kind of emotion, and the “nice butt” raised eyebrows from Arizona with regard to Lauren. She was attracted to Lauren’s wit, humor, self-assuredness and lest we forget, her hotness. That being said, when it comes to love and lust, love will always prevail if it is true. Callie and Arizona don’t have to have “sexual chemistry” to be a believable couple. They have to have something more than the lip-licking “gee you’re smokin’ hot” looks between the two of them, to be believable, and they do. They have realism, the kind of realism that goes beyond the stupid, spur-of-the-moment lustful glances as were shared between Arizona and Lauren. What Callie and Arizona have is a solid lifelike love relationship, which is about 100x more profound than any roll in the hay.

37. issi says:

i totally agree with you, the love between callie and arizona is very strong and they will get through all of this

38. c’mon everybody deserved a chance.. :-(

39. Naomi Jones says:

I hope it ends with callie and arizona and sofie going to spain and sitting on the beach with their bikinis and drinking mai tais — yes yoy can have it all. Work through it — talk about your feelings — as arizona says life is good.