Sarah Michelle Gellar Talks Buffy Movie: If the Story Were Right, 'We Would Do It'

buffyBuffy Summers is no stranger to coming back from the dead, and there’s the tiniest of chances that her show could follow suit — on the big screen.

“If there ever was the right story, we would do it,” Buffy the Vampire Slayer herself Sarah Michelle Gellar recently told E! while promoting her upcoming CBS comedy The Crazy Ones.

RELATED | 25 Shows You Want Remade or Revived Now!

The (formerly) Chosen One said that she and Buffy creator Joss Whedon — who also wrote the 1992 feature film that preceded the supernatural TV series — have spoken about bringing Buff back to the cineplex.

“But the thing with Buffy is that Buffy was a movie, and it ultimately didn’t work as a film,” she said, mainly because “the story works better over time.”

RELATED | Sarah Michelle Gellar on Hubby Freddie Prinze’s Forthcoming Bones Date With Ex-Buffy Love David Boreanaz: They’d Better Not Make Out!

With the recently Kickstarted Veronica Mars movie in production — as well stars floating talk about Chuck and The X-Files big-screen revivals — perhaps Buffy is primed to ride the nostalgia wave, too?

“At this point,” Gellar joked, “the stake would be my walker and I would be hobbling in.”

Would you go to see a new, big-screen Buffy? Sound off in the comments!

1. Tommy says:

I for one would be waiting in line Star Wars style

2. canadian ninja says:

She’s such a tease. And not quite ready for a walker :-)

3. Liza180 says:

I love the idea, but I don’t see a few of the stars coming back but Sarah is right…they might be getting too old. Although it would be fun to see a high school reunion ala Veronica Mars. too bad Cordelia is dead. That would have been fun.

• Nick C says:

a big problem would be Angel and Spike. They look older now. I’d still be the first in line if this happened

• lorna says:

I think everyone would be game except for David Boreanaz. Love him, but he doesn’t like to talk about the shows, for some reason. Yes, James would be older, but they would figure that out.

4. Buffy 4 eva says:

you bet your hellmouth I would be there!

5. mawhi says:

If they went by the storylines in the comics, I don’t know if I want that…..

6. akary says:

It would be awesome if Joss Whedon is the writer and director.

• Patrick says:

That’s why this talk is starting up. By the time this gets made, aka after Avengers 2, Joss would be the biggest director in Hollywood. If SHEILD is a hit, lookout. Joss would be able to get a film of some ugly putz reading the phone book green lit.

Buffy/Angel and Firefly movies could be in the offing when Joss gets done with Avengers. He will literally be able to write his own ticket.

• cas says:

He deserves it. I feel like for a long time by Hollywood he was overlooked as besides Buffy and Angel, I don’t think a lot of his shows lasted too long. But he is talented and I am glad to see the level of his success has risen.

• EWJ says:

Please let him make a firefly movie then… Buffy is awesome but only when Spike and Angel are around and even though James could still pull it off David certainly can’t!

7. Steven says:

PLEASE!

8. L says:

I thought someone was doing a new Buffy reboot movie? Or did that fall apart?

• twilight123 says:

Fell apart. There was a public outcry because Whedon wasn’t involved and the studio got cold feet.

• RUCookie says:

THAT is fantastic news. I was dreading the reboot. Glad to read that there is some reason left in Hollywood producing circles.

• Patrick says:

There was talk. There was fan outrage. The studio continued to talk, disregarding fan outrage. Their thinking was, probably, that the movie could be done cheaply enough to take advantage of fan sentiment to make a quick buck.

Then Avengers happened. Fox no longer wanted to anger Joss, which might endanger future projects. Plus, with Joss being what he is now, they saw huge dollar signs. They can throw money at the Buffy (and Angel) franchise to get all the old actors back in. And it will still mint money. Why not?

9. Nat says:

Could this be another project Joss makes at his house in between billion-dollar blockbusters? Pretty please?

10. Typhoonred says:

Would love to see a movie where Buffy’s daughter becomes the chosen one.

11. liz says:

If Joss is writing/directing I’m so there!!!!!!!

12. Tommy says:

I guess the only question would be if the budget was big enough for cgi makeovers for David Boreanaz and Janes Marsters…

• Allen says:

Lol fair point…how exactly do you explain a vampire who has obviously aged in the last 10 years?

• DJ Doena says:

They both went to hell. Literally. It could be explained that when they left they were ultimately de-vamped (Shonshu prophecy and such) and are now aging like everyone else.

• Well, Angel was on-screen for 8 years in the two shows, and he looks obviously aged when comparing S1 of Buffy and S5 of Angel, but no one cared.

• Jillian says:

Considering that Spike died in the series finale, this would be a moot point.

• Kay says:

Spike did not die. He returned on Angel, first not corporeal but got his body back, and he is alive and kicking in the comics.
        At the end of both shows Cordy, Anya and Wesley were definitely dead. And Giles was killed in Season 8, aka the comics.

• Conrad says:

Hum, they can bring the Slayer back from the dead a year later, and we are still looking at this universe with the eyes that death is forever in the Buffyverse. I think that’s a moot point, luv.

13. Jenn says:

After watching the tv show if they made the movie with the tv cast and Joss it would be AWESOME! But only if it was told where the series left off… The movie was ok but after watching the series the movie can’t compare. The actors/characters are what made the show worth watching every week for so many years.

14. Raven says:

It would be cool, but James Marsters said last year at Comic Con that he would never play Spike again. And I’m not sure David would do it either. How do you explain a vampire aging?
    Doesn’t sound like Sarah would be doing much of the fighting. Maybe all of her progenies would be doing it. And of course Willow would be even more powerful. Awesome!

• Sue says:

I would hope that James would be in. He is a “real” person. No fake there. So, if bridges were mended and the story was valid, then I’d say there’s a chance he could be persuaded. That man can pull anything off. He’s that good.

15. Kellie says:

Oh my god!!! When I saw this, I freaked!! Buffy has always been my absolute favorite television show ever!! A movie would be excellent! I won’t get my hopes up though

16. Aprilcot26 says:

Even though I know it will never happen, this makes me so happy! :)

• Tommy says:

Agreed. I love this show and miss it dearly. It was the reason I went to film school. The pilot aired when I was 10 and I saw every episode the night it aired for 7 years (with a few had to program the VCR, yes VCR, to catch episodes when I was in vacation.

• lorna says:

I was 10 as well. VCR went I had to go to PSR at night (religion classes, ugh.) If they weren’t taped, hell would rise up.

17. Louise says:

OMG YES!

Would be awesome to tie up some stuff that I’ve always wanted lol. Buffy and Angel get together! Should bring Cordelia back from the dead not like Darla didn’t get brought back to life a million times :p.

Ugh so nastalgic, still rant about the Angel finale lol

18. Katy says:

I would love to see that movie! I am sure Joss could figure out a way to make the movie work and it would be great to see the original Scoobies; Buffy, Giles, Willow, Zander, Oz and Angel! Plus, maybe we would FINALLY get to see Buffy and Angel have their happy ending!

19. Andy says:

I’d give “Angel” the movie treatment before “Buffy.” “Buffy” received a proper ending; “Angel” did not.

20. Lee Fowler says:

YES, YES, YES!!!!! It would make me sooooooo happppppy!!!!!!!!!!!!! =D

21. DL says:

How would you explain the immortal Angel looking so much older? xD

22. matt says:

the should do a trilogy of movies. do a buffy movie, then an angel movie and then a joint movie. no idea how that would work but as long as it ended with angel becoming human and him and buffy being together I would be so happy

23. Carrie says:

If Joss directed it and it starred the original cast, that would be absolutely awesome. I don’t care how much older they are now. It’s not like they’re ready for the retirement home. It would be obvious that Spike and Angel have aged, though.

24. Debra says:

I was a big fan of Buffy and Angel I would definitely watch any movie they came out with

25. David F. says:

Joss already screwed over my favorite characters in the comics, so I’m not really interested in a movie taking place in the Buffy verse. I consider the live-action series real canon, and don’t want them to screw it up.

Besides, I always found Not Fade Away to be the perfect end of the Buffyverse. A movie would have to take time to explain what happened in LA, what happened to Angel,Spike, Illyria, Gunn, and the status of Wolfram & Hart. If they’d want Angel and Spike in the movie they’d have no choice but to explain.

Not to mention fan favorites Spike and Angel would look considerably older, and most of the other fan-favorites are dead..

26. 1. KICKSTARTER KICKSTARTER KICKSTARTER 2. Please make the film an Angel/Buffy/Dollhouse triple crossover

27. bobbie says:

Only if Spike was back .

28. S says:

Who cares about the aging part? I mean really? …. they’re still our Angel and Spike and we all want Buffy to end up with one of them. I would love to see a movie with the whole gang again but only if Joss is the writer and can get all of them to join it. :)

• cas says:

Thank you! That is what I was thinking. Everyone is worried about the aging but really who cares, I mean we know it is just a movie and they are actors so of course they age. Besides for being older David Boreanez still looks pretty good to me. I’m not sure about Spike though.

29. Lauren says:

I would be waiting, first in line the night before! I really hope that a Buffy movie gets made!

30. Sunshine says:

I would love to see that. It wouldn’t be the same w/o the entire original Scooby Gang tho.
    Angel aging could easily be explained by that he became human again (Joss is a genius he’d come up with a magical/mystical way to explain it) thus since Angel became human he aged… now he & Buffy have a daughter… Part of the next gen of chosen ones. :)
    Would also like to see them bring back Wesley (somehow) and Fred. I could even deal with Illyria since she was becoming more Fred-like near the end.

31. Drew says:

I was a huge Buffy fan. HUGE. But… no. Sorry. It was great for what it was at the time, but it should stay in the past. Even season 7 was a train wreck and the comic book continuation is embarrassing.

Could it be done well? Maybe. I guess. Though at this point, I think that if it were to be done well, Joss should not be involved. He hasn’t written anything of quality since Firefly was on TV. His movies are horrible. He ditched talent for fame a long time ago, so he would probably be the weak link in a Buffy project. Buffy is all about character, with layers and metaphor. Joss doesn’t do “deep” anymore.

There have been some valiant fanfic efforts, which pulled the story out of the rubble of season 7. Look up the season 8 at someplacethatiselse.net for example. Maybe one of the old Buffy fans can work on a new Buffy project someday. But SMG is right when she says that it works better as a series. If they did a new slayer series someday and Buffy characters were woven in and out of the show now and then, that could be cool. But the Supernatural team was right when they decided that the “big dudes with latex mask” monsters don’t work as well in today’s HD world. They might have to rework how the monsters and demons work in that universe.

32. Thea says:

STOP PLAYING WITH MY EMOTIONS D:

33. Ella says:

Ugh, whenever SMG gets a new TV role she just doesn’t STOP. TALKING.

• Megyn says:

Agreed. She’s so fake.

• Brooke says:

What a mean spirited and ignorant comment. Everyone with a new show this fall is doing press right now. Everyone with a new show is talking. That’s part of their job, to promote their new shows. If the media knows people love certain topics and therefore asks lots of questions about them and the writes lots of articles about them, that’s the media doing their jobs.

34. Dr. M says:

This is a meaningless story.

The movie rights are in the hands of Fran Rubel Kazui and Kaz Kazui the people that butchered Joss’s original script.

There is bad blood and they have shown no interested in ever working with Joss on further Buffy films. As long as they don’t tie into the TV series they don’t need him or SMG and can keep all the money for themselves.

Expect a darker reboot before a feature film. The best we can hope for is a made for TV movie.

Joss would do better with a Spike, Angel, Faith or even Fray movie, but he can’t use Buffy as a character.

• Drew says:

From what I remember, Joss was approached about working on the recent (failed) remake/reboot/whatever, and turned them down.

35. Eva says:

Are you kidding me? I would follow SMG and Buffy anywhere, anytime, any universe!

36. Megyn says:

Guess she’s trying to reignite her film career. Everyone knows SMG is difficult to work with. Just ask Alyson Hannigan and Susan Lucci.

• Drew says:

First of all, you’re working on intel gathered from rumors that were circulating 15 years ago. If you’re the same person you were 15 years ago, that’s great. Most people aren’t.

Second, they were rumors. SMG got a lot of crap back in the day, but people were quick to overlook the stories that made her look good. Probably because she didn’t go to every convention and celebrate herself as much as the fans wanted to celebrate her. She was/is a private person and people don’t like that in celebrities.

Third… Did you just reference Susan Lucci as a witness to the fact that SMG is hard to work with? If we’re taking the “sources” and rumors into consideration here, it was Lucci who made SMG’s life miserable when they were working together, criticizing her looks and just generally being a b****.

She might not have been close friends with everyone she worked with, but why is that really expected of her? It’s been said that SMG was annoyed with the show by season 3, but why shouldn’t she be allowed to be annoyed with a very demanding job? She’s said that since she was in most of the scenes on the show, often working long days and nights, and getting injured a lot, it took its toll on her. I don’t think that makes her a bad person.

37. Tom Charles says:

I said this on the E site or wherever it was I saw it, I’ll say it here. Only if it’s a Joss Written/directed movie with the tv characters/actors continuing plot lines from the show would it be ok. The abomination that whoever it was tried floating a few years back at the height of the vampire craze was nothing but a soulless cash grab because it was Jossless and spit on everything that came before. Joss needs to be let to continue slaughtering our beloved characters however he sees fit.

38. Rob Olivier says:

I’m sure Eliza Dushku would do it so make the film centered around Faith and Willow and the rest of the Scoobies. With Jos behind the writing and the direction, I’m sure it could work. As for the guys, both are in the unique position of having their souls back, so maybe slow aging comes with that. I’m talking supernatural things where anything can be explained.

39. Liz says:

As long as Joss writes it, and if Sarah & David (and as many of the whole gang) are in it, I’m in! We need our Angel & Buffy happy ending, darn it!
    But I fear this is only a dream…

40. mac says:

I love buffy and all the people from that show…I would love to see the movie!

41. Peter Wall says:

BUFFY . BUFFY , BUFFY , BUFFY ,BUFFY …. oh were not chanting ok then but YAYA MAKE THIS HAPPEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. Elvin says:

Joss wouldn’t use James Marsters anyway. He always put Spike on the sidelines when he wrote an episode. He has never used him since. I always got the feeling he didn’t much care for him.

• RUCookie says:

Really? You think so. What I was was a one-off character that became one of the highlights of season 2 and was then brought into the show pretty seamlessly. He had wonerful character development and fully fleshed out arcs. It would be hard pressed to show a lack of love for the Spike character.

• Olivia says:

There are many things one can blame Joss for. But character development is not one of them. I can’t think of a single meaningful character being sidelined. If you can recall a character’s story, quirks, quotes, relationships (romances, friends, foes, inbetween) then you can definitely say this character has had development. And I personally can do that with pretty much every Buffy character (even sometimes smaller ones like Snyder, Jenny, Andrew, Clem…). Actually it’s pretty rare nowadays to see that quality in ensemble shows.

• Olivia says:

Oh and just to be clear: I’m one of the biggest Spike fans ;) (He’s definitely in my top 3 characters between Willow and Faith).

43. Mikael says:

I think Season 7 of Buffy wasn’t the best and I think it’s because if you watch the end of Season 6 when she says she’s going to train Dawn, they quickly ditch that after the 1st episode of Season 7 and go right to the whole “The First is rising” story. I think they thought the show wouldn’t be ending at 7 but SMG screwed that by saying she was done.

• Drew says:

Season 7 was all about ending the show. I thought that was the whole point of having the First take on the form of each of Buffy’s greatest enemies in the season premiere. The problem was that that theme of bringing the show full circle was lost somewhere, and the last half of the season was an epic disaster.

44. Fernanda says:

I read about rumors with Netflix. they would want to create movies about buffy’s characters. I love that idea. We never saw The Watcher, the cancelled project with Tony Head. Or I want to see a Willow movie versus Amy the rat, (in the comics she has a major role). Spike adventures between Buffy season 8 and Angel after the fall comics.
    We could bring back the Buffyverse anytime. Joss Whedon has the last word

45. Alex Miller says:

Wasn’t she the main reason the show was closed? And now, 10 years later, when she failed to become a movie star, she wants a movie. It’s too late, b*tch.

46. MLO says:

Excuse me, “if the story was right..” ???We’re talking friggin Joss Whedon here – he can MAKE the story right. Personally, I would like to see the two shows – Buffy and Angel – come together in a movie so we can get closure on both of them. That said, I DO NOT want Buffy and Angel together – whether she’s cookies yet or not. Spike girl here, all the way.

• Liz says:

Um, no, no way. Angel is her true love, Spike was a distraction & became a good friend. Period.

• MLO says:

I don’t think so. I didn’t see Angel pining away for Buffy throughout the last three seasons of Angel. Boy moved on. Whereas Spike was hopelessly in love with her and was willing to take whatever he could get. I always found Angel insipid on Buffy – unless he was Angelus. Spike never failed to fascinate me.

• Connie says:

What show did you watch? Spike loved her enough to go get a soul. Angel had to be forced every single time. No contest. Unless you are a masochist, Spike is the winner hands down. Angel isn’t a giver, he is a taker. Even charged for what Spike did for free. IMHO! WISR!

47. Lauren says:

I might die from happiness if this happens.

48. Doreen says:

stop teasing everyone! yea…. it would be nearly impossible to get the entire group together….but after my annual Buffy series watch I still wish for a movie every single time.

49. l says:

If thet made a Buffy verse movie great. But not getting my hopes up here. If david b doesn’t want in ok, but if u bring back james, make him human w vampire strength still fighting the good fight in LA w illyria and Connor. After all we dont know what happen aftet the end credits in buffy and
    Angel the series. Bring back Giles, Willow, xander, Dawn, faith even, and principal wood and Andrew. Give us a backstory and then start the movie from there. Just my 2¢

50. Jenny says:

I would so go and see it, sadly part of me agrees with Sarah that it needs time to build an all new re-wakening of the old series. I think maybe a few new episodes? I don’t care that James and David are getting older, the truth is the show matured as did the characters. Plus, let’s be honest, you wouldn’t want someone else to play them would you? No way!

• Connie says:

Easy, major, massive Buffy in syndication. That would bring in the younger generation. The show is still relevant. High School is forever, sort of like the First Evil. That would be about all that’s needed to garner enough interest.

• Connie says:

Oh, and keep James and David. Because Buffy might be the only name in the title, but the show expanded to encompass the entire cast to varying degrees. But James and David and Sarah…well, I was going to say they were the top three. But hey! Can’t leave out the rest. Every time I start to add a name, Like Anthony, another pops up. So, yeah! Make it easy and say the entire cast.