True Blood Recap: The Long Kiss Goodnight

true blood recap season 6In Sunday’s episode of True Blood, Eric turns to just about the last person you’d expect – and certainly the last person he wants to – in hopes of canceling Nora’s date with the Grim Reaper. But can even Billith’s “divine” blood cure her of hep V? Read on to find out (as if you haven’t already watched “In the Evening”).

VIDEO | True Blood Cast Teases Game-Changing Finale, Shares Details of “Lost” Alcide Plot

GRAVE MATTERS | After Eric sneaks Nora out of Vamp Camp and we’re “treated” to a bewigged flashback in which we see his first meeting with his future “sister” – she’s dying even then (of the plague) – she finally croaks. (Guess Godric and his amazing celestial backlighting weren’t available to cameo?) And surprise – Not Kate Beckinsale’s passing is actually kinda moving, mainly because Eric is so torn up about it that he wails like a girl. (On true blood nora diessecond thought, he could’ve just been grossed out: She melts in his arms like a wide-eyed British candle. Very cool and very disgusting.)

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED | Meanwhile, at Vamp Camp, Jason reveals himself to Jessica and tells her that he’s there to save her. “Aw, ya shouldn’t have,” she pretty much says, “but since ya did, can you be a doll and bring me that hot vampire who refused to rape me? I’d really like to thank him with some consensual sex.” As if that’s not ouchy enough, once Sarah’s done aca-accosting the Governor’s severed head, she has Jason bloodied up and tossed in with the hungry gen-pop femmes fatales.

METHOD OF MODERN LOVE | After Sookie informs Barlow that her shagging him was in no way indicative of an agreement to be his bride, she Star Trek-beams herself out of Fairy Land to comfort not-at-all-merry widow Arlene. Later, Sook and Lafayette discover that, days before Terry was shot, he took out a ginormous life insurance policy on himself. “Maybe we shouldn’t tell Arlene while she’s drinking her way into a fine Dina Lohan impersonation,” they decide. Later still, Billith implores Sook to return Barlow to Bon Temps so that he can save everyone from the dreaded sun parlor in his vision.

A HAIRY SITUATION | Though Sam totally missed Luna’s funeral – “Luna who?” he doesn’t bother to ask while having “See ya!” shower sex with Nicole – he defies Alcide’s orders to stay away from Bon Temps in order to go home for Terry’s burial. At the doghouse a few scenes later, Alcide lies to his pack that Sam and Nicole are dead. “Oh, really?” Rikki kinda barks. “Then how come we have Nicole and her mother right here and breathing?” Ruh-roh, Shaggy!

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? I thought, as usual, the best lines were Pam’s. (“I was a whore in my human life,” she informed her turned-on shrink. “It wasn’t a coincidence.”) However, Jason ran a close second, worrying that Jessica was suffering from “stockholder’s syndrome.” And is it just me, or is the writing for Anna Camp about 1,000 times better this time around than in her first stint as Sarah? The bit where she’s gonna cover up the Governor’s demise 9 to 5/Weekend at Bernie’s style? Genius.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Recaps

1. Elly says:

I never really cared if Nora died but seeing Eric crying like that was heartbreaking. Um Jessica….w.t.f- Jason comes to save you and you bang another dude? Really? He’s standing outside the door. Not cool bitch. I’m kinda glad Alcide gotten taken down a peg, I guess we know why Jurnee will be on ‘Parenthood’ now.

• Kevan says:

Well, Jason did bang Sarah earlier in the season. Jessica isn’t really required to be monogamous either.

• Elly says:

That is true. But Jason did make it clear he was there because he loved her and how sick it made him at the thought of her with someone else.

• Nick C says:

are you kidding?
        he infiltrated that Vamp prison. Risking his life to help her and she asks to see that vamp. Then bones him with Jason outside the door!

that’s messed up. I love her but I thinking she was a b**ch.

2. WTactualF says:

Prediction: Sookie is going to agree to be with Warlow forever in exchange for saving her friends.

• DarkDefender says:

Unless he too, conveniently dies at the end of all this… I am now calling this The Season of the Core Cast Thinning. Should be a nice small (and manageable) group in Bon Temps next season.

• Ruby says:

Not the worst thing ever, if that happens. I’d agree to be with him forever without the ultimatum.

• Ruby says:

However if they do that and then spend all next season trying to figure out how to get her out of the deal I’m going to be really irritated.

3. Aleksalynn says:

I seemed to be one of the few people who actually liked Nora, so I’m kind of bummed that she died.

• CR says:

I’m bummed about it as well. Ever since she lost her religious fervor, she was a much more enjoyable character. At least we got some creation story, although now I’m curious as to why Eric didn’t turn her himself.

• I don’t particular care for Nora either way, but goodness, that ACCENT. She has a beautiful voice.

• Alice says:

I enjoyed Nora emmensely. But I think part of that was because I was so mad at her being killed off Robin Hood I was happy to see the actress in any form.

• Mary says:

I adore Lucy Griffiths (Nora) and was crushed when they killed her off on Robin Hood too. I wasn’t happy with the S5 Lillith worship but after she woke up from the religious brainwashing of Saloma, she was a nice addition to the Fangtasia clan. Lucy and Skarsgard have great on-screen chemistry and it’s a shame that they won’t be exploring that relationship further on True Blood. Any flashbacks of Godric, Eric and Nora would have been fun to watch too.

• pam says:

Nora was not so bad. I liked her too.

4. S says:

Omg poor Eric :'( losing yet another family member but I love how he’s all angry at Beel lol

5. I almost cried during the Eric/Nora scene. I used to like Bill but that dude can go play soccer on a highway for all I care. And Sookie? Well, you would never had noticed she had twins.

6. George says:

Thanks for that Pitch Perfect Anna Camp reference. :)

7. Private person says:

Why only 10 episodes? We are being cheated!!!’

• Dan says:

It was to accommodate Anna Paquin’s pregnancy.

• Aleksalynn says:

Ten is the standard on HBO.

• Jaime says:

Not exactly. Some have always had 10 (like GOT) but TB and others have always had 12. This is the first year TB didnt have 12, like Dan said it was mainly due to Anna’s pregnancy. So I can understand feeling cheated.

• It was also due to economical factors too. Besides, 10 episodes is much better. It tells much better stories as the writing is much tighter. Hopefully next season is 10 episodes too.

• Plum says:

I’m kind of glad it’s ten, but I don’t know how the show will last 3 more years, because Anna Paquin seems worn out and disinterested, and Alex is doing movies, we don’t even get to see Arlene’s kids because they’re too grown up now. It would be cool to have yet another time jump, since the timeline on this season is all taking place 10 days after the arrival and Billith.

• PaulaV says:

If the 10 episodes are awesome, then it doesn’t matter to me. I hadn’t thought about it before, but I tend to agree with Plum that for the first time, Anna Paquin does seem to be worn out and not so on track this season. Could we really count on her to commit to another season?

8. noelle says:

Who else laughed out loud when they saw eric’s wig?

• WTactualF says:

And the bad accent too!

• Dan says:

How about the convoluted writing? Oh, Nora is going to bite it, so let’s give her a flashback. Eric is going to save her, but … for some reason he needs to take her to Godric to do that. Doesn’t his blood heal? Couldn’t he have given her a few drops? I love True Blood, but they really need to establish a few rules and stick to them.

• DL says:

It was never implied that he HAD to take her to Godric, or that his own blood wouldn’t have healed or turned her. All it showed was that he WANTED to take her to Godric. Probably because he wasn’t yet ready to have progeny of his own. It did take him another two and a half centuries or so, after all.

• Ruby says:

Considering the fact that the accent is the ONLY thing he does that is bad, I think he can be forgiven. Especially after how amazing he’s been this season. There are few actors who really transform into their characters the way Alexander Skarsgard does.

• Ang says:

Or his horrible acting this season? I don’t know what happened but I feel like he isn’t even trying anymore.

• paulav says:

Yeah, Eric’s wig and accent were kinda funny. Maybe we will see another time warp soon, as I really like them. My favorite time warps have been a few seasons ago with Bill singing at the piano and Bill’s civil war days.

9. Cari says:

Less fur face (Alcide…yawn); more Vamp Camp. This season has been weird…it’s not bad at all but it not like seasons past when I watched each episode more than once. I’ll be curious to see where we end up by episode 10. And I love that Andy ALWAYS refers to Bill as Vampire Bill!!!

10. Jamie says:

I don’t know if it was just me but Nora’s death scene resembled her(the actress’s) death scene in Robin Hood. Sad and Mopey. Yes she’s dying, Yes it’s the plague. But maybe try a different pose or not stage it in a bed with mourning love ones around. This is a director that didn’t do their homework maybe, IDK. It just bothers, me.

• Ruby says:

Or maybe they have better things to do with their lives than obsess THAT much over something so inconsequential. *cough*

11. Cari says:

PS – Excellent use of Led Zepplin during the closing credits too

12. Anon says:

Dear Reviewer…

The “Not Kate Beckinsale” comment was old 12,000 times ago.

• Detective Mullins BPD says:

So you are the comment police? I want to take you head and put it in the door way and slam the door like 157000 times! Just kidding.. I got a little HEATed there… But I guess referencing tat movie is tired too. Maybe you should just go to bed,

• Anon says:

I don’t think you are socially or emotionally equipped for social discussion. The door comment is psychotic…and telling me to go to bed because I made a critical statement you didn’t like bespeaks the argumentative logic of a petulant child.

I will refrain from any further discussion with you.

• CR says:

I don’t know if it’s the reaction you were aiming for but your first line made me laugh hysterically. Thanks. I feel that way a lot reading some of these message boards.

• Rob says:

Was the Kate Beckinsale comment in the main review just a mistake, or was there some deep and trenchant joke involved?

• CR says:

@Rob, I haven’t seen it this year from what I can recall, but last season the recapper refused to call Nora by her name, but just referred to her as “not Kate Beckinsale” “Still Not Kate Beckinsale” and so on. I found it annoying but it didn’t bother me enough to comment on it, mainly cause last season Nora irritated the snot out of me. I just happened to find Anon snarky comeback rather amusing because there are so many people I want to say that to, but I try to avoid adding more hate on the internet. However, it can be entertaining at times and my hats off to Anon.

• Ruby says:

The reviewer is also apparently blind to the fact that the entire internet calls him “Benlow”, not “Barlow”. Every time I read “Barlow” it jars me right out of the review.

13. Lauren says:

I have a feeling Sookie will agree to being Warlow’s mate forever so that her friends are saved. But the I also think he and Billith will somehow have a battle, and Warlow will die. Saving Sookie from being with him. Also, not too sad Nora left. Although it was sad to see Eric so upset. But now I don’t have to worry that Nora was going to hang around until the end to be his consolation prize for loosing Sookie. Now there’s still a chance!

• Dan says:

Sookie still has her “Magic Ball of Light That WIll Kill One Vampire” trick that has “Hey Look A Plot Point” in neon lights flashing all around it. I say Warlow kills Bill, and she uses it to off Warlow afterwards to get out of marriage, then season seven revolves around her being a simple human.

• DL says:

Except Warlow has turned out to be a decent guy, and Sookie isn’t that cold-blooded. I could only see her doing that if, maybe after Billith dies, Warlow realizes he really doesn’t want to live forever anymore and asks her to do it.
        Though the most interesting twist would be if Warlow survived, and all the light did was kill off his vampire side, leaving him 100% fairy again.

• Rob says:

Hasn’t it been suggested that Benlow can take the fairy supernova blast and still live? Something to do with his being both fairy and vampire. Surely he’ll somehow give his life saving both Sookie and the Vamps. I think Sookie, Eric, and Bill are sacrosanct — they can’t be killed off. Andy could possibly go, but I don’t think so. Arlene could to, and Benlow is probably on a one season contract. I would like to see more of Granddaddy Rutger Hauer. His table manners alone are worth the price of admission.

• CR says:

I’m not so sure we can say the Warlow turned out to be a decent guy. He has his own perspective of things so I don’t think he going to tell the woman he is trying to seduce, “Yep, I’m a monster and I totally have a hidden agenda, let’s get it on.” Although I laugh now thinking about it because he did tell Sookie he wasn’t in control but I believe it was to give her a false sense of security. My theory this whole season is that Warlow (or Benlow as I’ve been told we now all have to call him)is after Sookie’s light, perhaps to spawn some freaky fae/vamp baby, which is what she was warned of by the elder fae last season right before RE killed her. I don’t think raping her would have done the trick, as Maurella said, she shared her light will Andy the second time they did the deed because he made a promise to her. I’m pretty sure next week we will start to see his true colors.

14. Laura Aliaga says:

Sorry, but the line of the night goes to Lafayette!!! “I’m so f@#king glad I took my beta blockers. Deuces”

15. Jasey says:

I’m sorry but this “recap” is terrible. Your hate for Nora is just annoying and you leave so many things out. What’s the deal?

16. Jonesy says:

I miss Stephen Moyer’s swoopy man-bangs. They were sexy.

17. Joyce says:

One of the execs at the Comi Con panel said they were going to take the show back to the core characters and the people of Bon Temps (?sp) next season. Who knows what that means for some of the characters. Doesn’t sound good.

18. Ericandsookiefan26 says:

Bill made a mistake he didn’t tell sookie about Nora. He was only thing of saving all of the other vampires when it hasn’t even happened yet. At that moment Nora was the one that needed saving and bill ignored that. Eric is just mad over his grief he shouldn’t be mad at sookie I don’t think he really is. If Eric says something to sookie she should say bill never mentioned Nora he just said all the vampires. I think if sookie knew about Nora she would have tried with her blood. Or gone to get warlow as quickly as possible to help Nora either way she would have helped anyway she could have I’m sure. But bill never mentioned Nora to sookie so it’s really bills fault for making Eric breakdown like that it was so heartbreaking to watch it brought me to tears. He’s gonna want to kill Sarah and everyone that created the hep v. But I do think its bills fault that he never mentioned Nora to sookie. But with the breakdown you could see Eric loved Nora so much and didn’t want to lose her. I hated seeing his heart break.

• Anon says:

I thought that Bill not mentioning that Nora was at Death’s Door was a gaping plot hole too!

Of course, Sookie wouldn’t just refuse all methods of help if she knew Eric’s sister was dying….it just didn’t make any sense.

• whyohwhy says:

Yes, I thought it was strange too. Hopefully Sookie and Eric clear it up at one point. Very stupid of Bill because mentioning Eric’s sister may have been his best path to Warlow rather than vague threats.

• cherie says:

To be fair, Sookie refused to help Bill the first time he asked at her house. And he also specifically mentioned Tara, her best friend. If she refuses to help save Tara, where is the logic that she would jump to help Nora? Who means nothing to her in the grand scheme of things?

• Ruby says:

Because it’s not about Nora, it’s about Eric, who means a LOT to her.

• Cherie says:

Sorry, but Eric does not mean more to Sookie than her lifelong best friend. To think otherwise is putting too much stock into the Sookie/Eric dynamic.

19. Fernanda says:

Skasgard is a tremendous actor. His scene with Nora was very moving, even better when he said goodbye to Godric

20. Emil says:

This show is such crap at this point. They must’ve had a few great writers quit and it all went to hell…Nora needed to go. she’s a beautiful actress but her role just never made sense and it was boring and she was annoying. I watch at this point because I’m a loyal fan but I’m so annoyed at all of the jumping around (stick with one story and tell it well!) and all of those scenes that should end up on the cutting room floor. The Vamp Camp stuff is the most interesting (which is weird, cuz it isn’t even that good) and I like Willa…Can we just simplify everything, hire back better writers and do a better job? thx. Also, Jessica is SUPER annoying and they have ruined her.

• whyohwhy says:

If you don’t like the show anymore, don’t watch it. It’s as simple as that. I’ve stopped watching shows when they got bad. And I even restarted one when it got better again. You have agency for your enjoyment beyond complaining online. I still enjoy True Blood. But it was never high art for me, so maybe that’s the difference.

• Jasey says:

It sounds like they don’t want to stop watching it though- just that they want it to get better again. There’s nothing wrong with offering some constructive criticism. I hate when people say “stop watching then” just because someone doesn’t like something on a show.

• whyohwhy says:

Saying something is crap isn’t constructive criticism. It’s just complaining. And it is not “something” on the show. It is the majority of the show the commenter seems not to care for. There is a difference. The commenter does give a couple of suggestions for improvement, but they are a small part of the comment. You are right, there is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. But I’m more interested in reading ideas of how things could improve than a litany of what is wrong.

• Jasey says:

Fair enough! You’re first comment just sounded like so many others. This one however makes much more sense and I do agree with you.

• Ruby says:

You know what’s SUPER annoying? People who fill up TV show threads with whining and complaining because a storyline isn’t going the way THEY would have done it.

• SATANLOVESYOU says:

You know what’s SUPER SUPER annoying? YOU and this show so frak you. this show is garbage everyone on it should be shot and the writing is trash and anyone who watches it is a moron. your turn. Let’s go RUBY!!!!!!!!

21. Truefan says:

This was one of the more interesting shows. It really kept me glued to the tv. I liked Nora and her death scene with Eric was really touching. I like the flashbacks.
    Anna and Pam did have the best lines and were the most fun. Liked the scenes with Jessica and James. Like how Willa’s character is developing.
    Just felt the scenes with Sam and that really annoying gal didn’t ring true. Was it just a week or so ago he lost his true love Luna, and he’s already forgotten her?
    The worst moments were with Scookie and Warlaw. Still no chemistry. She is also coming across as hard and brittle.

22. Elisa says:

“I believe that you are divine” omfg I totally cracked up when Eric said that. You know that had to kill him a little inside to say that to Bill. That was perfectly delivered by Aleksander Skarsgard, soooo funny. :)

Alcide, major hottie but I roll my eyes everytime I see the werewolves. What a snooze fest.

Oh was it nice to see some of the old Lafayette today. :) Deuces.

23. CC says:

Didn’t Nora tell Eric & Bill that Warlow’s blood wouldn’t heal her, only allow her to day walk?

• Ruby says:

Yes, but clearly Eric is in denial that his sister is dying at that point, so he’s desperate.

• CC says:

I agree. But that may explain why Bill didn’t bother rushing out to Sookie to get Warlow for Nora.

Regardless, I’m ready to get back to the core cast. Maybe keep Willa and James. I’ll miss Terry, though.

24. kevin says:

Put a stake in the show. Its terrible. the writing has really gone down hill and nobody makes any sense.

How did they bury Terry so quickly? ( following last week to this week..he was buried in the time it took warlow and sookie to do the deed) Sookie sleeps around AGAIN and the glowing naughty bits was just juvenile. Jessica makes no sense and I agree with others about her. She and Alcide were my favorite characters on the show and Alcide starts the season as a A1 jerk. I understand the whole Power corrupts thing, but its too much of a turnaround.

Why Is Robert Patrick on the show if he barely gets a line in? I was waiting for him to get fed up with Alcides attitude and knock him on his a$$. yet….nothing.

The scene between Bill and the Sheriff was hard to believe…

The show really has just resigned itself to being a vampire skin-emax flick.

• Ruby says:

1. Sookie has slept with a grand total of THREE people. That does not make her a slut.
      2. Time passes faster in the faerie realm. That’s why Terry seemed to be buried that quickly. That was established at the beginning of…season 4, I think?
      3. If you ever thought True Blood was anything OTHER than a vampire skin-emax flick, then you have been watching the wrong show all along. It’s based on a VAMPIRE ROMANCE NOVEL, where have you been?
      4. You sound like you have some deep-seated sexual issues about women that you need to address.

• CountryQueen says:

It’s actually based on a Vampire MYSTERY series. The books are found in the mystery section of the library – I had a hard time finding them at first as it never occurred to me to look for them there, though once I started reading them, it did make sense. Lots of great romance in them though.

I don’t think it was several days – I think Arlene just showed up drunk at the cemetery. I was confused at first too, especially ‘cuz she was laying on grass and not a dirt mound, but she hadn’t even told the kids yet – and Sam is coming back for the burial.

• Jonesy says:

I think she’s just visiting their cemetery plot, trying to process what’s happened. She says something along the lines of “this grass ain’t meant to be dug up yet”.

• GoCanes says:

Was Terry really buried that quickly? I thought Sam was headed back so he could go to the funeral. Plus it would be weird if Arlene’s kids didn’t attend a funeral.

• Aeol says:

They didn’t actually show Terry’s grave, just Arlene rolling around in the cemetery. Do you really think she’d bury him before even telling the kids???

25. Plum says:

I’m now super stressed, I need spoilers, I need to know if Jason and Pam are going to survive the Big House, and I’ve grown fond of Warlow, and I’m tired of all the fairycide, so I hope this isn’t the end of our fave fairy, meaning Warlow, not Sookie. Sookie seems pretty dull and passionless this season, more zombie than fairy.

26. Kat says:

Wow! This review sucks! Seriously if you there are thousands of people that love this show. Im sure Tvline.com has some people that enjoy it and could write a better review/recap then this crap! Seriously I have been here from the start before you had this site and enjoyed it. But now these last few weeks are horrible! I am about done. When Bill walked into the house in the daylight and Arlene was drunk and thought she was dreaming it was about the funniest scene on tb in years! And you didn’t even mention it. Seriously get someone that actually has a passion for the show if you are going to write about it!

27. A says:

Anyone else notice Anna Paquin is coming across as completely bored and disinterested? Also, its getting ridiculous with how little we see the main cast. Seeing Sookie in only like three small scenes in an entire episode is just ridiculous. We really didn’t need that time wasted to see Eric and Nora’s back story nor do we need to Sam’s sad sex with that woman and we don’t need to see Alcide’s bonding time with his father. All were boring as hell and a waste of time. I’d rather have seen an extra five minutes of Drunk Arlene than all of that!

• paulav says:

I agree that True Blood is a cable drama, not a soap opera and the Alcide/Father talk was kinda soap opera like. We don’t have but 3 more episodes to go, so I’m hoping for more action and for Sookie to ramp up the energy. I was hoping for some interesting stuff with Andy’s remaining fairy daughter and Sookie. I can’t help but miss the Fangtasia days, but maybe the writers will get us ramped up in the next episode. Who knows how many vamps will die, if the True Blood trucks get to the stores. Will Billith say the day or will it be Warlow?

28. Ronald says:

this better be building up to a huge ending because this episode felt like a filler.

29. Miles says:

The addition of Anna Camp as Sarah Newlin again this season was brilliant. I find myself looking forward to her scenes every week. Kissing the governors severed head and reciting God is Good in a lower octave was pretty awesome. I have enjoyed the Ben/Warlow plotline but hope it ends by the finale. Sad to see Terry and Nora go but am happy the cast is being trimmed down a bit. Carrie Preston was incredible last night as well. This season has been fantastic and I can’t wait to see what happens next!

30. pam says:

Anna does seem a teeny bit off but she did have 2 wee ones. I still love her character. I’m sad there are only a few episodes left. All in all i think this season has been awesome. Except for the Alcide and Sam storylines. blah.