Exclusive

Bones Exclusive: Freddie Prinze Jr. Booked for Season 9 -- What's His Connection to Booth?

Freddie Prinze Jr BonesThis may be the closest we come to a Buffy-Angel reunion in our lifetime.

Bones has cast Sarah Michelle Gellar’s better half, Freddie Prinze Jr., in a potential multi-episode arc opposite Gellar’s former Buffy leading man David Boreanaz, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATEDIt’s Official: Booth and Brennan Will Tie the Knot in Season 9 — Get All the Details

According to sources, Prinze — who will be introduced in the Fox hit’s Sept. 16 opener — will play Danny, a very covert CIA agent. Armed and dangerous, he’s also an old associate of Booth’s who has an interest in Booth and Brennan’s current murder investigation.

In an interview with TVLine at Comic-Con last week, Boreanaz hinted that Booth would be reunited with several figures from his past in Season 9; in addition to Prinze’s spy, the show is also casting the role of an ex-priest from Booth’s Rangers days.

Currently, Prinze is booked for one episode, but I hear there’s potential for a second.

1. He’ll always be Cole Ortiz on 24.

2. Sky Lark says:

whuh? really, ok, I’ll give it a chance but……..

3. Mia says:

I think this is inspired casting, Freddie and David already know each other and this will help the old friends vibe that Booth and Danny are suppose to have. Cannot wait.

4. JCK says:

YAAAAAAYYYY Freddie!

5. Lysh says:

I didn’t even think of the Buffy/Angel connection until I read the article. And now I want it.
    Good for Freddie! Glad he’s getting some work.

6. carly says:

I hope this isn’t the closest we come to a Buffy/Angel reunion!

And didn’t SMG and David also date in the late 90’s?

7. Peter Wall says:

never watched this show …. UNTIL NOW buffy and the real world and bones world collide LOVE IT !

8. Fernanda says:

I don’t know if this is true, but I heard when Angel was cancelled, David was very upset with Sarah Michelle Gellar who didn’t want to appear on his show in the last episodes, remember that horrible episode when Angel and Spike went to Rome to help Buffy?
    Maybe Sarah’s hubbie will make a miracle and David and Sarah could reunite again in a future distant comic con or a tv movie reunion.. who knows

• Mia says:

They had a goodwill agreement to guest star in each others finales as a favor to themselves and the fans but it didnt work out, there was a little upset that it didn’t happen but no big deal, you are talking nearly 10yrs ago…a generation ago…and I have heard David in recent times praise SMG, he owed a lot to her career wise…so they are cool. .. And obviously this casting proves that :)

• lorna says:

She said she had a death in the family and was working on the relative’s estate, and she was able to appear for the series finale, but Joss didn’t want her to overshadow the cast. As for them dating, I think they did under the radar, if you see photos BTS there are some of them VERY cozy together.

• Nick C says:

SMG was too good for the little TV show Angel. At the time she was making movies. It obviously upset DB and Joss. But ten years and hits like Bones and the Avengers while watching the humbling effects of the bombs SMG was been a part of. Makes it easier to swallow now I’m sure.

• Lorna says:

A Buffy / Angel reunion movie would be great!!!

9. chris says:

if we are talking people from his past, how about bringing his first wife (played by Jessica Capshaw) and their son back for an ep or two?

• Wendy says:

Rebecca was never Booth’s wife. He wanted to marry her, but she didn’t want to. Booth had told Brennan about it in an episode.

10. cas says:

Love this news! The reason I started watching Bones when it premiered is because I was such a David Boreanaz/Angel fan and the show turned out to be good so it was a bonus. I didn’t know Buffy was suppose to guest star in the Angel finale, that would have been amazing! I also happen to like Freddie so this is a win win situation.

• Miranda says:

She was supposed to be, I believe, the penultimate episode, not the series finale, the episode before that, but a death in her family made her unavailable. She was available for the finale, but Joss didn’t want it to be about her, he wanted it about the core characters.

11. Brittany says:

I’m a die-hard Buffy and Angel fan who will hold out hope until they’re both too frail and feeble to work any longer that David and SMG will once again share screen time. Here’s hoping that Sarah will visit Freddie on set and remember the awesome chemistry they had together, and one of them will guest on the other’s show!

12. Tracey says:

That’s nice of David to give Freddie a job! I wish we could see Angel and Buffy reunite…I’ve never understood why Joss made a Firefly movie instead of a Buffy/Angel movie! Even if it’s just for TV…the fans deserve a happy ending!

13. Dee says:

Spuffy FOREVER!!!!

14. Kathy H says:

I loved Bones the first couple of seasons but then for some reason they made Dr. Brennan so stupid acting, it took away from her being a strong independent woman to a geeky silly acting sterio-type female. Please bring back the old Dr. Brennan.

• John says:

I did like her better in the pilot. Many of those airport scenes were a hoot as well. “Boo!”

• Fernanda says:

for me Brennan changed because of Zack Addy’s situation on season 3 finale. I want to see Zack again and all his old friends finally knows about he didn’t kill anyone.

• julianne says:

Strong independent women end up alone, with a friend like Angela who was also strong and independent but then also became happily married, she had a proven example that she wouldn’t lose herself in whoever she became partners with. Angela is extremely happy and still her own person, in fact I think Hodgins has changed more to conform to his relationship to Angela. Booth while being a strong alpha male still allows Bones to have her way in many cases. And when he tries to be protective of her and the baby the show made him out to be in the wrong (boo!), like when she drove into an area with an active tornado while she was pregnant (stupid), I thought she was supposed to be smart. Her character had to change in order to be in a relationship, and it took many years while Booth waited in the wings. I think he waited long enough. He’s older than she is and feels the march of time more acutely. Being brilliant she should be able to figure out why Booth would do such an uncharacteristic thing such as cancel their engagement. She’s known him for over eight years now, how can she not figure it out.

15. Dasha says:

Buffy and Angel reunion!!!!!!!! Well sort of lol
    I heard that Freddie and David had issues in the past, guess they work things out…with the help of SMG maybe :)
    She used to be great friends (and more) with David ;)

Anyway i’m thrilled because maybe she’ll be on set and we’lk get a pic of her and David! *wishful Bangel diehard fan*

16. Cynthia Plunk says:

Love it glad that Freddie Prinze Jr. is starting to make a comeback. More please!