Comic-Con

How I Met Your Mother @ Comic-Con: Ted's Ticked-Off Kids (Watch Video!) & an Epic Slap

How I Met Your Mother Comic-Con 2013 Season 9 SpoilersSlaps, guest stars, a mother of a meeting and… a divorce?

All of these will have a place in How I Met Your Mother‘s final, wedding-set season, creators Craig Thomas and Carter Bays, director Pam Fryman and the cast told fans at Comic-Con on Saturday. For more on the last chapter in Ted’s journey to the mother, read on.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Casts Sherri Shepherd as Marshall’s Adversary

CHILD UNREST | The session kicked off with a video of Ted’s kids, played by a grown-up Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie, cussing out their dad for keeping them hostage for eight years while he tells his story. “I went through puberty on this couch!” yells the son, while his daughter observes that she knows all the lyrics to Robin Sparkles tunes but doesn’t know who the president is. Then the son says he hasn’t seen another girl beside his sis in eight years, which is making him think inappropriate thoughts. “I hope you never meet the mom!” he exclaims. “I wish I was never born!” (Press PLAY on the video below to watch for yourself!)

THE MOM IS HERE… | … And it’s a “relief” to star Josh Radnor, who was constantly accosted on the street about her identity. “I saw [Cristin Milioti] in Once on Broadway, and she was amazing,” shared the actor. “She’s so delightful and talented and pleasant..” Radnor also noted that the cast is a “tight-knit group of five” and that adding another cast member in this iconic role “could have been not great, and it’s so great.” For those fearing that we won’t actually see Ted and his lovely wife together, Neil Patrick Harris revealed that Radnor and Milioti already have filmed a scene and they “have great chemistry together.” Added Bays: “We’re going to get to know this lady, and we’re going to see the two of them.”

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers — Wayne Brady Returns

TIME TRAVEL | While the entire upcoming season will take place over Robin and Barney’s wedding weekend, there will lots of flashbacks and flashforwards. “We wanted to stress the word ‘framework,’ because we don’t want people to think it’s four episodes of flower-arranging,” explained Bays. “Decades will span within the course of this season.”

SLAPS ARE COMING | “There’s going to be an episode in the middle of the season that takes place in the middle of one slap,” teased Thomas, likening it to a freeze-frame during a tennis match. “That’s literally the framing device for the entire episode.” The tentative title for third slap installment? “Slapsgiving III: Slappointment in Slapmara.” Fans may be eager for the episode, but Neil Patrick Harris is nervous. “They’re mitts!” the actor said of co-star Jason Segel’s hands. “They match his penis. They’re not fun – either of them.” Plus: “We’re going to have a new version of that song [“You Just Got Slapped”] performed by someone really awesome,” Bays added.

TO THE MALL AGAIN | Will Robin Sparkles return for another go? “It’s a wedding. People sing songs at weddings,” hinted Thomas. Added Cobie Smulders: “Some drunken karaoke maybe?” Meanwhile, Barney and Robin’s first dance will involve exploding glitter cannons.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Scoop on [Spoiler]‘s Romantic Duet

LOVE AND HEARTBREAK | Not everyone is having a happy wedding weekend. “James is getting a divorce,” revealed Harris. “That puts things into a little bit of a pickle.” But Bays’ summary of the finale season is a lot more hopeful: It’s a “valentine to friendship and love.”

GUEST STARS GALORE | If there’s someone you’re hoping to see return, good news: “The much shorter list is the list of people who aren’t coming back,” said Bays. The EPs are also “in serious talks to get the pineapple back,” added Thomas.

1. Ella says:

This is the panel I was most looking forward to…..will there be clips anywhere do you know?

2. Janneke says:

I want that pineapple back!!

3. I’m sad James is getting a divorce. He and his husband always had a great thing, it seemed, and they’ve got that kid now.

4. Joey says:

Great scoop about the final season. I’m surprised James is getting a divorce.

5. Maki says:

I hope they do justice to the show and this season should be Legen-Dary! S8 was a bit shaky and yes they had some solid episodes but U can’t compare it to previous seasons.

6. Anon says:

Awesome to the most LEGENDARY power.

7. azerty says:

James’s divorce won’t help Barney. He always looked up to his brother and I am pretty sure there will be an episode in which Barney will think that if James can’t succeed in mariage he won’t either. Anyways i like the fact they insist on the word framework. The season needs more flashforwards than ever.

8. Christy says:

I hope that the pineapple is part of an extreme flashforward. While I desperately want to know what the deal was there, Ted said that they never did find out where it came from, only that it was delicious. So he would have to find out sometime AFTER the whole story to the kids.

9. twilight123 says:

Everything about this sounds just like I was dreaming it would be! They have really calmed a lot of my fears and hesitations. Plus that bit from the “grown up” kids was hilarious! BRING ON SEASON 9!!!

• DL says:

Exactly! Confirming that there would be flashforwards and scenes between Ted and the Mother have made me a happy camper. I was really afraid we were see her interacting with the rest of the group all season and then only meet Ted in the last episode.

• Diane Raetz says:

I laughed myself sick over the clip with he kids. I just hope the season is as legend-wait or it-dairy as that clip

• Alan says:

the clip with the kids was funnier than all of season 8, it was brilliant. that should be the opening for season 9. lynsdy fonseca and david henrie really nailed it,
      good to hear about there being lots of flash forwards, i think i would have gotten cabin fever if they were stuck at the wedding all season.
      all round this panel has made me much more excited for the new season than i ever thought i would be.

10. A says:

That video with the grown-up kids was AWESOME! I’ve been waiting for something like that for so long. Too funny!

11. Tiera says:

I’m super pumped, September can’t get here fast enough! I always thought the wedding weekend setting sounded interesting and this only furthers my excitement to see it executed. And a glitter bomb for Robin & Barney’s first dance = AWESOME. This dance will definitely live up to their dance at Punchy’s wedding!

12. Eli says:

That clip was awesome and funnier than the entire 8th Season of this show combined!

• Jared says:

This. Sign Lyndsy Fonseca and David Henrie up for an FX/HBO comedy stat. The premise of the show is the two Mosby siblings trying to survive in the real world after the eight years they spent listening to Bob Saget ramble left them with irreparable emotional damage. It’ll be golden. Schadenfreude at its finest.

Titles won’t be a problem with this one – the writers can call the show anything they want and not have to worry about meeting restrictive audience expectations! Just as long as they don’t call it “How I Learned To Forgive My Father”. I can assure you that for the not-so-young Mosbys, that day will never come.

13. Kevin says:

So I want to call something out here, and come back just under a year from now to see if I was right but…

I think Robin and Barney do NOT get married.
    And Ted goes off and Marries the mother and has a wonderful life and two kids.
    And Then BIG TWIST
    Their mother died and now he’s Married to / together with / w/e with ROBIN

and the whole reason for this story is to explain not only how he met their mother and how much he loved her etc. But how aunt robin became his wife, and why she has always been so important.

They just keep revisiting the Robin storyline its like they are never done with it. and if you go over the entire series nothing discounts it.
    I’m calling the twist ending now!

• Mike R. says:

No, while I understand many feel the mother will never live up to Robin, this is the season where the writers will have to prove why the mother is so much better for Ted than Robin, but Robin has never loved Ted the same way he loved(s) her, so, while she may not marry Barney, I don’t see any scenario where she ends up with Ted.

• Jerry says:

Ehh. Remember that episode this past season where Future Ted was all like if only I had done this I would have had another 45 days with you? The way that whole thing played out definitely makes it seem like the mother has passed away. Unless Ted is just a basketcase of emotions.

• Mike R. says:

The mother is dead theory could still be true, but I don’t think Robin and Ted will end up together even if the mother died.

• Hannah says:

I really hope they won’t, I think that would really cheapen everything that happened in the previous seasons.

• Alan says:

that was just ted at his lowest ebb wishing for happiness, trust me i know the feeling and that resonated with me big time.

• Alan says:

that would be 9 years of my life wasted if they did that. i want the story of how he met and fell in love with the mother not some stupid excuse to put a relationship which was shown to not work over and over again back together which goes against the entire point of the show.

• Nikki says:

I just really want Barney and Robin to be together! I really think they belong together and they match so much more than Ted and Robin. I just HOPE they end up getting married! They have said that they have their first dance together and that is usually at the reception which is after they get married. Also, Cobie said that Robin might get a little drunk and sing a Robin Sparkles song and again, that is ususally at the reception. AFTER they get married.

14. destiny says:

I’m wondering if Don is trying to crash the wedding? Future!Ted sad back then, that there is more to the story … Or did I miss something?

15. lariet50 says:

LOVE that video! I haven’t paid much attention to these two actors – when did the guy playing the son get so hot?! LOL.

16. TV Gord says:

I haven’t watched How I Met Your Mother for a while now, but if the show is this funny next season, I just might have to come back to see them (finally) wrap it up!

17. JW says:

AWESOME.

18. Mikael says:

I’m SO glad we’ll get flashforwards. I was worried we’d never actually see Ted and the Mother together. I don’t think the 45 days thing hinted that the Mother dies; I think it was just Ted loving her so much that he wished he could have met her even earlier to save him those 45 days of being alone and hopeless. And I hope they don’t ruin the pineapple like they did the Slutty Pumpkin. Old Ted said they never did find out the story of the pineapple, so they shouldn’t retcon that. Unless the Mother is the reason for the pineapple somehow and we see it from her POV.

19. I’ve never watched this show. Only seen a few partial bits of a few episodes here and there.

But that clip? I may have to watch this last season just to see the damn reveal so the kids can get off the couch. That was hilarious. Kudos to whomever wrote that.

20. It is not my first time to visit this web site,
    i am visiting this web page dailly and take good fats from here all the time.

21. Liz says:

So much promised, so little delivered. Such great disappointment.