Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: My Snappy Judgments

Get More: Awards, Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013 Snubs and SurprisesThe 2013 Emmy nominations were, as per usual, both thrilling and infuriating. For every inspired nod (congrats, Carrie Preston!) there was one that had me scratching the skin off my scalp (no Tatiana Maslany?!). So without further adieu, I give you the good, the bad and the downright ugly from this year’s list.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations: The Complete List

I’m Super-Ecstatic About:
* A nod for Bates Motel‘s incredible Vera Farmiga.
* Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke and Diana Rigg both scoring mentions.
Kerry Washington sneaking in for Scandal. Ditto surprise guest contender Dan Bucatinsky.
* All the love for USA’s cancelled Political Animals. Ditto HBO’s axed Enlightened (yay, Molly Shannon!) Also Sundance’s sublime Top of the Lake.
* The best comedy nomination for Veep.
* Finally Carrie Preston gets some guest star love for her standout work on The Good Wife.
* Margo Martindale scoring a nod for The Americans.
* All the nods for Homeland, including overdue supporting contenders Morena Baccarin and Mandy Patinkin.
* American Horror Story: Asylum cleaning up.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: The 45 Biggest Snubs

I’m Rolling My Eyes About:
* Betty White getting a reality hosting nod for Betty White’s Off Their Rockers. That was RuPaul’s spot, dammit!

I’m Super-Pissed About:
The Good Wife getting shut out of the drama series category for the second consecutive year. Julianna Margulies didn’t even make the cut.
* New Girl getting shut out of all major categories for its best season so far.
* Zero recognition for The Big Bang Theory‘s secret weapons Simon Helberg and Melissa Rauch.
* No Jennifer Carpenter? WTF?
* No love for Parenthood’s Monica Potter. Still processing that snub.
* Parks and Recreation
failing to score a best comedy nod.
* The absence of Orphan Black‘s Tatiana Maslany (because it bears repeating). Ditto The Americans‘ Matthew Rhys.
Southland getting bubkes. (What does Michael Cudlitz have to do to get a nomination?!)
Sons of Anarchy’s Katey Sagal getting overlooked.
* No nod for The Walking Dead’s Andrew Lincoln.
* Nada for Game of Thrones‘ Nikolaj Coster Waldau.

Okay, that’s my two cents’ worth. Now it’s your turn. Post your own snappy judgments below. And click here to view a list of all the major nominees.

Comments (203)

• Add in the snub for Monica Potter and Will Arnett and I agree 100%

Comment by Elizabeth – July 18, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was robbed!

Best acting I’ve seen in years all this season of Game of Thrones.

Comment by Winteriscoming – July 18, 2013 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO EMMY NOMINATION FOR STANA KATIC, NATHAN FILLION, CASTLE OR HANNIBAL?!!?!?!

Outrage.

Comment by Stana is so underrated it hurts – July 18, 2013 06:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To be honest I never expect any from Castle. There are some I’ve given up on.

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m pretty sure that was a sarcastic comment.

Comment by Bob Smith – July 18, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m pretty sure its not (did you see the person’s name?)

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think what she meant was that she’s given up hope that Castle gets nominated.

Comment by CastleFanForLife – July 18, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yep

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 07:59 AM PDT
    • Good lord. Castle? Raise the bar.

Comment by dee123 – July 18, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You just made me laugh out loud in the middle of my cubicle. People turned and stared at me and I had to hide this window really fast. :D

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 18, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The thing about Castle is that it’s a dramedy and fits neither category (drama or comedy) so that’s probably why the show or its cast is never nomintated. What I can’t understand is why they don’t create a new category then. I mean there are other dramedies out there which will never get a chance at the Emmys either. How unfair is that?!
      And you are right! Stana is one of the most underrated actresses ever. So talented but never recognized. But I’m of the firm believe her time will come one day!

Comment by CastleFanForLife – July 18, 2013 06:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, at least Nathan Fillion starts to get some recognition lately! Even though it’s not at the Emmys.

Comment by CastleFanForLife – July 18, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • There’s also the tiny little detail that it’s a show with zero ambition and therefore doesn’t deserve to even be mentioned with shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

Comment by Superhero – July 18, 2013 08:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think someone said they barely ever nominate procedurals, and Castle fits into that category.

Comment by the girl – July 18, 2013 09:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • please Castle isn’t in the eyes of Emmys

Comment by Gema – July 18, 2013 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If there was a Dramedy category Castle would be up there, but honestly, there’s really nothing to put them into! It’s a stupid award show anyhow – I prefer The People’s Choice Awards!

Comment by lv2bnsb (@DanielleMonroy) – July 18, 2013 07:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well the first three are middling, competent, and absolutely horrible. Castle is hardly Emmy material.

Comment by Mars244 – July 18, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like Filion as an actor, but by the end of this season both he and Katic looked exhausted. The writing and production are not good enough to support emmy-winning performances from either of them.

Comment by Argus – July 18, 2013 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I miss the days when TV networks shows were up against each other and not cable programs. I think they should just stop the award shows altogether. There are so many phenominal performances, to award just one seems wrong. And to compare the different strengths in each one is like apples and oranges. Just my opinion. :)

Comment by Kim R – July 18, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • when did you read a good review about Nathan, Stana or Castle ??? this is not the kind of tv show press and academy watch.

Comment by gaby6034 – July 18, 2013 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Imo it doesnt matter that castle is a dramedy it still should have been nominated

Comment by Melissa – September 22, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These nominees make me pretty angry, rather than sad, this year.
    I just don’t get it…

Comment by Miranda – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Emmys generally tend to make me angry rather than sad. They always vote in the same people and the same people (really we need almost a half dozen actors from the subpar running on fumes Modern Family nominated for the umpteenth time?) don’t really deserve it. Maybe they did once but the repeats and the repeats and the repeats for characters that don’t change or grow in any way. Or characters that are just FLAT. It’s so frustrating to see quality shows snubbed (Orphan Black, Parks & Rec, which I’m not even going to bother counting because you know they won’t win). No wonder crap like Whitney is being made. That is the garbage that wins awards. UGHHHHH! My inner Hulk is coming out. So I’ll just sum it up with what I do every year, as the man himself once said, “Awards are stupid…but they’d be less stupid if they went to the right people.”

Comment by Ari – July 18, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Extremely upset Michael Cudlitz didn’t get a nomination for his brilliant performance on Southland. Major snub!

So upsetting.

Comment by Bri – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So agree. Worse yet, Southland got no nominations — as if it didn’t exist. And I guess it didn’t really exist for TNT (who doesn’t know drama!) and ignored by the Emmys despite winning a Peabody.

Comment by Discriminating Fan – July 18, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so disappointed in New Girl getting nothing. Jake Johnson was a god send this season – what the hell.

Comment by Rachel – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you on this!!!

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not only that, but The Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are way past their prime…

Comment by Matt – July 18, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dont mind BBT so much since its a ratings Monster but Modern Family nominated for 3 in the supporting actor category? bleck

But I didn’t care for mayim Bialik (sp?) nomination

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Modern has a large cast that all get prominently featured so anyone who watches the show sees them all a lot. And they almost all put in for supporting rather than lead actor category. I think it gives them an advantage. Big Bang doesn’t consistently feature it’s cast as evenly (I mean, look at poor Raj).

Comment by Alice – July 18, 2013 07:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • True.

I was hoping for Simon and Melissa though

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 08:00 AM PDT

Comment by Ashley – July 18, 2013 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! New Girl was awesome this season! Also I’m so over all the Modern Family nominations..

Comment by mj – July 18, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SERIOUSLY. Nothing for the show, Zooey or Jake? Seriously ridiculous.

Comment by lariet50 – July 18, 2013 07:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m beyond upset at the lack of Tatiana, The Good Wife and Monica Potter the most, but so insanely happy that Laura Dern and Laura Linney got recognized for their respected ended shows. Enlightened and The Big C were so captivating that I really hope this helps people to check them out. And especially happy that Kerry Washington got through as well as Vera!

Comment by Bobby – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m also please about Laura Linney and John Benjamin Hickey for The Big C, but I can’t believe it wasn’t nominated for Best Miniseries. The Hereafter was 4 solid hours of some of the best writing I’ve seen all year. I don’t think I’ve ever cried so much watching tv, and yet still find so much to laugh at. This is just the tip of the iceberg on the disappointment I’m feeling for this year’s choices.

Comment by CR – July 18, 2013 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No love for Eden Sher either!

Comment by badlands75 – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • super pissed about lack of love for emmy rossum and for shameless!! shes phenomenal.
    also agree with parenthood and monica potter getting left in the dust.
    Third, jennifer carpenter. wtf.

Comment by shameless parenthood – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is my exact feeling as well. Shameless is excellent as is Emmy Rossum, Monica and Jennifer. UGH!!

Comment by Lisbeth Slander – July 18, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I completely agree. Emmy Rossum was amazing last season on Shameless. I’m so bummed she wasn’t nominated.

Comment by Diane – July 18, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why do some truly standout shows never get any Emmy love? I just want to understand why John Noble was not deemed “good enough” by these voters to ever be nominated for anything. Are people just voting for their friends? Is it all about big-money Emmy promotional campaigns? Are shows not shot in Hollywood or New York automatically demoted in consideration?

Can’t someone do a story on what Emmy voters are thinking (or not thinking)? I just want to understand WHY you see the same shows and people every year while truly excellent shows and people get completely overlooked year after year.

Comment by hana – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d really like to know the thought process as well! Are they just not watching tv? Are they just voting for the same people out of habit? I’ve seen stories in past years that have tried to tackle this and voters seem to be a bit closeted about why they vote the way they do. The consensus seems to be that they vote this way out of habit. Which is awful.

Comment by Ari – July 18, 2013 07:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know which absence upsets me more, John Noble or Tatiana Maslany. John had a tough battle because even though the actors in that category are all repeats, they are all deserving of being there. Even with a shaky 2nd season of Homeland, I can see how Damien Lewis made it in there depending on which episode they submitted on his behalf. And I understand Cranston has dominated the category ever since BB came out, but I think it would be criminal to leave him out because he has consistently delivered. When I watch BB, I really believe that he is Walter White. It would have been nice to see some love finally for Fringe, but I think if they were going to do so, it would have been after the 3rd season. I however, cannot understand for the life of me how Tatiana was overlooked or should I say omitted to give way for Connie Britton on Nashville. Don’t get me wrong, I like the show Nashville, and I love Connie Britton, but there is no way she is putting in the kind of effort and performance Maslany puts in week after week. I do not understand the Academy of TV Arts & Sciences fear or disdain for genre tv. Game of Thrones is finally getting some much deserved recognition, but is that only because it’s audience has grown large enough that their voices can no longer be drowned out? Every year I say that award shows are stupid and are more a popularity contest than a way to actually award shows and actors based on merit, but every year it still stings when they do the same s%# all over again.

Comment by CR – July 18, 2013 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m annoyed about Simon Helberg.

I would have preferred Melissa Rauch over Mayim as well.

I like Amy Farah fowler and everything but she wasn’t that funny this season.

Comment by Sasha – July 18, 2013 06:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am disappointed there was nothing for Andrew Lincoln, he was fantastic this season – probably his best performance so far (which is saying a lot, since he’s always pretty amazing). I was also really hoping Jim Beaver would receive a guest actor nomination for his work on Justified. With the exception of Walter Goggins and Margo Martindale, I feel like Justified always gets overlooked, despite being one of the best shows on cable.

Comment by Charissa – July 18, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *Walton Goggins.

Comment by tripoli – July 18, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are the most lazy people i have ever seen. They should’ve release the last year’s list and didn’t even bother to get up at 5 am!! same old same old! breaking bad , mad men , homeland didn’t even have new season and they got nominated AGAIN. it’s like 3 years they’re getting nominated and they probably will win too!
    I’m surprised you are not SUPER-PISSED about Hannibal not getting ANY noms in ANY category! Hugh dancy was amazing , mads is breath taking and they have NOTHING . emmys is load of crap

Comment by hedi – July 18, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • what are you talking about? eligibility period was from July 2012 to May 2013. Homeland Season 2 aired in october

Comment by marc – July 18, 2013 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And where the hell is the love for Psych and Bones? Or Covert Affairs for that matter? Emmy voters must not have ever seen the dee-light-full Piper Perabo’s puppy dog eyes because girl can emote! Next you’re going to tell me Burn Notice was also snubbed.

Comment by jennrae – July 20, 2013 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy for Connie Britton and Kerry Washington, and Benedict Cumberbatch, but that’s about it.

Annoyed about Parks and Rec, New Girl and Happy Endings snubs, but the latter was to be expected. Michelle Fairley and Monica Potter both should have been nominated. Sutton Foster had no chance but deserves to be there.

The biggest snub of all, for me, was Rebecca Hall from Parade’s End the best performance of the past year bar none. She was robbed of a Bafta now she isn’t even nominated for an Emmy. FURIOUS!

Comment by Seth – July 18, 2013 06:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Annoyed at no mention of Hannibal but especially at no nomination for Hugh Dancy. To me, he’s done some extraordinary work on that show.

Comment by Azrielen – July 18, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m delighted Jim Carter and Imelda Staunton are both nominated, they will be so cute on the red carpet together.
    Love that Connie B got a nod but disappointed for Hayden who did so much heavy lifting in Nashville.

Comment by jay – July 18, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jennifer Carpenter really got screwed over

Comment by Sabrina – July 18, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Snub for Maggie Siff from SOA, who has done continued fantastic work and last season was perhaps one of her best.

Comment by Ren – July 18, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Michelle Fairley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau’s snubs? That’s an outrage! At least Arrested Development got one nod.

Comment by Yaryna – July 18, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I SO agree with you. I’m so happy Emilia & Peter got nominated, but what about the other great actors on Game of Thrones???

Comment by Liz – July 18, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Dinklage was ok this season, Coster-Waldau was phenomenal. Michelle Fairley was absolutely stunning this season, Clarke was good but not Emmt material for sure.

Comment by Francesca – July 18, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Fairley and Coster-Waldau literally made this season of Game of Thrones.

She made for an impressive Red Wedding and his was one of the best actings I’ve seen this season.

Comment by Winteriscoming – July 18, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thrones format doesn’t do them any favors with regards to Emmys. Each story is a tiny slice of an episode. So depending on which episode you see, you might not catch the best performance. Peter is great, but he also gets the very best lines, which make him stand out more than Michelle. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau was great this season, and had gripping material every time he was on screen- should have been up there.

Comment by Alice – July 18, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Emmy’s hate FX dramas. No love (ever) for SOA. Very little love for Justified. Even this year with the brilliant guest spots for Jim Beaver and Mike O’Malley, never mind Timothy Olyphant’s always deserving performance. Add to that nothing for The Americans. Is it FX? Is it their marketing campaigns? Some of the best shows/writing on TV…two from the very respected Graham Yost and nothing???? Sucks.

Comment by JBKR73 – July 18, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spot on.

Comment by jsswite – July 18, 2013 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Timothy is especially overdue!!!

Comment by JM – July 18, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another year, another Emmys-Can’t-Handle-Sci Fi.

Next year, Tatiana. Next year.

Comment by Jennae – July 18, 2013 06:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly isn’t that every year? Thank god AHS changed it for Horror and now Bates Motel has crept in as well.

Comment by dee123 – July 18, 2013 06:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Fringe” fans have had that feeling every year the series was on. Too bad we can’t say “next year” for John Noble!

Comment by Gwen – July 18, 2013 08:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So incredibly disappointed Tatiana Maslany didn’t get a nomination. She was totally snubbed, its outrageous

Comment by fireandrain0 – July 18, 2013 06:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leaving out Hannibal and Orphan Black is just a travesty for good taste and smart tv.

Comment by M – July 18, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Uh, it’s the Emmys. Even when they do nominate quality it’s just a happy coincidence. Sci-fi, newcomers and ‘lesser’ networks are only given token slots at best.

Comment by canadian ninja – July 18, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Jessica Capshaw? This season was her best performance so far, she deserve that nomination.

Comment by maciel – July 18, 2013 06:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! She was brilliant last season

Comment by Peta – July 18, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t agree more for Tatiana Maslany, she plays not only the lead, but pretty much every supporting female role in her show, and does it amazingly well. So why the hate ?

Comment by Kevin Gil – July 18, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sci-Fi. Look at John Noble

Comment by Alice – July 18, 2013 07:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Think you mean the 2013 nominations in your first sentence!

Comment by chelseahannacohen – July 18, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now I am pissed that you didn’t include Jennifer Carpenter in your “super-pissed about”-list. Does the current Dexter season go under this years Emmy Awards or next years? They better get it right next year..

Comment by Sara – July 18, 2013 06:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never mind, it’s there. I should never have doubted you, Michael.

Comment by Sara – July 18, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • haha i thought the same thing. i think he added it after his original post

Comment by shameless parenthood – July 18, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I set my expectations low, and this year the nominations exceeded them for the sole reason that there was more change than usual, also Emilia Clarke got a nomination and in my books that goes a long way

Comment by Emily – July 18, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And I think the wrong Game of Thrones actress was nominated for Supporting. It should have been Michelle Fairley IMO.

Comment by chelseahannacohen – July 18, 2013 06:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t agree, there were BOTH wonderful, but Emilia is still one of the main reason people are watching, she’s amazing as Daenerys.

Comment by Liz – July 18, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree! I love Emilia and think it’d be great to have both of them, but Michelle just did such an amazing job that I hate to see her not nominated. I don’t think it’s any fault of Emilia’s, Michelle just had the most gut-wrenching role to play and was amazing at it.

Comment by chelseahannacohen – July 18, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Definitely agree. Daenerys has been my favorite character, and I think Emilia does a great job. She had strong material, and I actually thought she deserved a nod in S1 as well. However, since only one actress was likely to get nominated for GOT, I’d have preferred if it had gone to Michelle Fairley as well.

Emilia’s arc continues to be strong throughout S4 so she’ll have plenty of good material to work with as well.

Comment by JJ – July 19, 2013 12:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No love for Glenn Close/Damages or Dexter? I put lack of Damages noms to timing – the last season was so long ago

Comment by FierceRobert – July 18, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Monica Potter, Monica Potter, Monica Potter!!!! Where is the love???!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – July 18, 2013 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, Michelle Fairley definitely got screwed. She was outstanding.

Comment by WTactualF – July 18, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wanna meet the body that puts forward these nominations and send them “Lannisters’ regards” :P

Comment by trainwreck – July 18, 2013 08:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Justified was the best show of the year so I’m shocked that it didn’t get a single nomination and how could they completely ignore Jimmy Smits’s incredible work on Sons of Anarchy. He was the highlight of the show of the year in my opinion. I thought he would’ve been a lock. And ours not just the FX dramas that get overlooked it’s their comedies as well. It’s Always Sunny, The League and Wilfred were fantastic last year.

Comment by Ralph Hartman – July 18, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “fringe” snubbed for fifth and final time … boo! hiss!!!

Comment by Deb Saine – July 18, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Also glad at the love shown to the entre Homeland & Breaking Bad family, especially Jonathan Banks (who played Mike on Breaking Bad). #GetIt. Another well-deserved nom for Merritt Weaver, and the rest of the NurseJackie fam

Comment by FierceRobert – July 18, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People were saying that Parks and Recreation shouldn’t get nominated because it was not their strongest season but how are we not saying that about Modern Family??? Parks and Recreation and New Girl deserve to be on that list in place of Girls and Modern Family. So annoyed by the list this year.

Comment by Elizabeth – July 18, 2013 06:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree with you there. Modern Family has been losing it the last two seasons. I just haven’t been enjoying it like I used to, it’s become pretty stale, no surprises.

Comment by EC – July 18, 2013 07:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Girls” SUCKED this season!

Comment by Sean – July 18, 2013 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t take any award establishment seriously that doesn’t recognize JENNIFER CARPENTER. Did they not see that finale?! Your “WTF” is right on the money, Michael.

Comment by Brigette – July 18, 2013 06:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so upset about Monica Potter. I agree Jessica Capshaw deserved a nom, but realistically there was no chance of that happening. The only Shondaland show that’s going to get any Emmy love is Scandal. Monica Potter, though… while Parenthood hasn’t had much Emmy success in the past, her work this season was truly Emmy-caliber. So disappointed she isn’t getting the recognition she so rightfully deserves.

Comment by Alana – July 18, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that there are a lot of good shows out there but no nomination for parks and rec is stupid! The show was amazing especially their wedding episode. Girls got a non and the second season was horrible in my opinion. I just don’t understand why some shows are always overlooked.

Comment by Nicole – July 18, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Michael said.

Comment by Joey – July 18, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Super upset about Nikolaj Coster Waldau not getting nominated for Game of Thrones. No offense to the Dink but Nikolaj was better this year.

Comment by Michelle – July 18, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh yes, he had a great season, the bath scene, OMG…

Comment by Liz – July 18, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOVE Dinklage but agree that Nikolaj Coster Waldau deserved that spot! not Dinklage’s fault. Next season is gonna be his to shine no doubt. Next year Dinklage, Charles Dance and Lena Headey better get nominated!

Comment by Rachel Malone – July 18, 2013 06:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Charles Dance was utterly fabulous and stole every scene he was in; he OWNED everybody!!

Comment by CatnipTARDIS – July 18, 2013 08:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damn for 90% it’s always the same person/shows!
    I’m sick to see always modern family, so overrated!
    love tbbt but mayim meh and it’s not their best season

where are dexter, michael c hall & jennifer carpenter?
    some other cast of american horror story!
    courteney cox!!! cougar town, this show is so underrated same for Courteney & the cast!
    nathna fillion, stana katic?

and some others too

emmy you are such losers

Comment by shay – July 18, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nothing for Hannibal… yet again seems to be more popularity contest than rewarding true excellent in programming, I will not be watching

Comment by mdb – July 18, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Jane Lynch but wasn’t she on screen for a total of 15 minutes this season. How can she possibly be nominated.

Comment by Joel – July 18, 2013 06:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited for Kerry, yay but man it hurts Tatiana didn’t get one also.

Comment by nich – July 18, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Agreed with the Game of Thrones thoughts. They went with hype over performance. Fairley deserved it over Clarke, Coster-Waldau deserved it over Dinklage. Also super pissed about the snubs of Parks and Rec, Tatiana Maslany, Julianna Marguiles, Emmy Rossum, Adam Scott, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman. And I agree that Hayden Panattiere deserved it over Connie Britton. I know they weren’t in the same category, and I also know that is a sentence that seems bizarre, but I can’t think of any standout moments for Connie, whereas Hayden was superb in every scene in the last few episodes of the season.

Comment by Lauren – July 18, 2013 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Hayden was great (and snubbed), but I can think of several Emmy worthy moments of Connie Britton in Nashville (in eps 1,4,7,11,13,17)

Comment by Tran – July 20, 2013 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Justified being shut out AGAIN.

Comment by Maya – July 18, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m really happy for Kerry and Connie. Disappointed about New Girl. Annoyed with the usual Modern Family men take over. But mostly I’m in disbelief over the lack of Jennifer Carpenter, and to a lesser extent, Monica Potter.

Comment by Alyssa – July 18, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • *John Noble
    *Jake Johnson
    *Timothy Olyphant
    *Jim Beaver
    *Patton Oswalt

Not a one of the 5. Ouch.

Comment by Cokes – July 18, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is a fact of life (not opinion, fact, read that carefully any potential repliers), that 4 of the 5 above actors (not commenting on Jake Johnson because I haven’t seen enough) are immensly and absolutely undeniably better than Hugh Bonneville, Jon Hamm, Bobby Cannavale, Jonathan Banks and Jim Carter. Absolutely undeniable that every single aspect of Downtown Abbey is terrible (why this show exists is beyond me… what kind of stupid uneducated douchebag watches this utter trash?!), so why they were nominated for anything is a complete mystery that even Sherlock Holmes couldn’t solve.

And we probably wouldn’t want him to try, because we’d be stuck with the terrible version of Sherlock from the even-more-terrible-than-Downtown-Abbey Elementary.

Comment by Matthew – July 18, 2013 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sorry, I don’t know what kind of distinction you have that proves what you say are “facts”. A lot of people will feel differently then you, so to say such an arrogant statement is just mind-boggling. It is also very disrespectful to call fans of a show “stupid uneducated douchebags”. Elementary is a fantastic show, so don’t know why your hating on that one. Also all of those actors were nominated in different categories, so I don’t see what your point is with this ridiculous comment.

Now those actors that you mentioned are fantastic and should deserve nods over some, but the way your saying it is just wrong.

Comment by Yasin Alvi (@yasin_alvi) – July 18, 2013 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Of course you are entitled to your opinion, however misguided it may be. I would like to point out that I am a college-educated, intelligent person with a degree in English who is also well-read in English history. I am an unapologetic fan of “Downton Abbey” and I am wondering if you even watch it. If you don’t, then you really don’t have the right to criticize acting that you haven’t even seen. The same goes for “Elementary” and it is a shame that Jonny Lee Miller did not get a nomination, in my opinion.

Comment by Gwen – July 18, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Addendum: Drew a blank on Jake Johnson. Brain fart. All 5 people listed in the original post are now applicable to my initial reply.

Comment by Matthew – July 18, 2013 08:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Adendum: I drew a blank on Jake Johnson. He definitely deserves to be included in my initial reply. Wow, so 5 people that deserve it, 5 don’t. Seems perfect.

Comment by Matthew – July 18, 2013 08:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Time to clear out some of these old standards…I love Christina Hendricks, but what did she even do this year? Go to the beach with Bob? Seriously, Jane Lunch for Glee (is it 2010 again)? Dot-Marie Jones also for Glee (was she even in a full episode this year)? So many deserving people could have filled these, along with many other spaces. Shame.

Comment by Nick – July 18, 2013 06:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed about Hendricks. Loved her last year when she should have one, but she didn’t do much for season 6

Comment by DonDraperSaysWhat – July 18, 2013 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally agree with your ” Jennifer carpenter wtf?” She is so amazing always, and never gets nominated! Ugh!!? The Emmys always make me mad! Why do I keep watching and getting my hopes up?!

Comment by Jenny – July 18, 2013 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post