Emmys

Emmy Nominations 2013: Horror Story, Thrones, Liberace and 30 Rock Lead Pack; House of Cards, Scandal and Political Animals Score Nods

Emmy NominationsNominations for the 65th Primetime Emmy Awards were announced Thursday morning by Breaking Bad boy Aaron Paul and three-time Emmy winner/How I Met Your Mother star/2013 Emmys host Neil Patrick Harris.

American Horror Story: Asylum scared up the most nods of anyone, amassing 17 total (including for Outstanding Miniseries and frontwoman Jessica Lange), while Game of Thrones followed closely with 16.

On the comedy front, 30 Rocks farewell run netted 13 total noms, followed by Modern Family‘s 12 and The Big Bang Theory‘s eight.

By network, HBO dominated with 108 total nominations, followed — distantly — by CBS and NBC, which each tallied 53.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: TVLine Lists the 45 Biggest Snubs!

Of note, Lead Comedy Actress contender Julia Louis-Dreyfus made Emmy history by besting Lucille Ball’s mark of 13 career noms; Scandal converted its buzz into possible bling, with a pair of nods (including for Kerry Washington); and both Netflix’s House of Cards and USA Network’s passed-on Political Animals reaped votes.

RELATED | Emmy Nominations 2013: Read Michael Ausiello’s Snappy Judgements!

Here is the list of the major nominees. Your job, as fellow TV enthusiasts, is to hit the comments with utter euphoria… or over-expressed outrage. (It’s the Internet, so we’re conservatively predicting 60 percent “outrage.”)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA
Breaking Bad
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
(2012 WINNER)
House of Cards
Mad Men

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Connie Britton, Nashville
Claire Danes, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Michelle Dockery, Downton Abbey
Vera Farmiga, Bates Motel
Elisabeth Moss, Mad Men
Kerry Washington, Scandal
Robin Wright, House of Cards
…BUT NO TATIANA MASLANY?!

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Hugh Bonneville, Downton Abbey
Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Damian Lewis, Homeland (2012 WINNER)
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey (2012 WINNER)
Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
Christine Baranski, The Good Wife
Morena Baccarin, Homeland
Christina Hendricks, Mad Men

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Bobby Cannavale, Boardwalk Empire
Jonathan Banks, Breaking Bad
Aaron Paul, Breaking Bad (2012 WINNER)
Jim Carter, Downton Abbey

Dan Bucatinsky, Scandal

OUTSTANDING COMEDY
30 Rock
The Big Bang Theory
Girls
Louie
Modern Family (2012 WINNER)
Veep

OUTSTANDING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Laura Dern, Enlightened
Lena Dunham, Girls
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (2012 WINNER)
Amy Poehler, Parks and Recreation

OUTSTANDING ACTOR IN A COMEDY
Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Louis CK, Louie
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Matt LeBlanc, Episodes
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY
Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Jane Lynch, Glee
Julie Bowen, Modern Family (2012 WINNER)
Merritt Wever, Nurse Jackie

Louis CK, Saturday Night Live
Justin Timberlake, Saturday Night Live
Will Forte, 30 Rock

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW HOST
Ryan Seacrest, American Idol
Betty White, Betty White’s Off Their Rockers
Tom Bergeron, Dancing With the Stars (2012 WINNER)
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn, Project Runway
Cat Deeley, So You Think You Can Dance
Anthony Bourdain, The Taste

OUTSTANDING REALITY SHOW COMPETITION
The Amazing Race (2012 WINNER)
Dancing With the Stars
Project Runway
So You Think You Can Dance
Top Chef
The Voice

OUTSTANDING VARIETY, MUSIC, OR COMEDY SERIES
The Colbert Report
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart (2012 WINNER)
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
Real Time With Bill Maher
Saturday Night Live

OUTSTANDING TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
American Horror Story: Asylum
Behind the Candelabra
The Bible
Phil Spector
Political Animals
Top of the Lake

LEAD ACTRESS IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Asylum (2012 WINNER in Supporting category)
Laura Linney, The Big C: hereafter

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A TV MINISERIES OR MOVIE
James Cromwell, American Horror Story: Asylum
Zachary Quinto, American Horror Story: Asylum
Scott Bakula, Behind The Candelabra
John Benjamin Hickey, The Big C: hereafter
Peter Mullan, Top of the Lake

The Emmys will be held Sunday, Sept. 22, at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. CBS is broadcasting this year’s show, with How I Met Your Mother’s Neil Patrick Harris serving as host. Visit Deadline for the complete list of nominations.

1. OMG! [fill in the blank] wasn’t nominated!!!!! IT’S A CONSPIRACY!!!!! (Couldn’t resist.)

• jimbo says:

OUTRAGEOUS!!!

• daryl shim says:

I’m voting for Matt Damon to win as lead actor in a miniseries , although Michael Douglas
        is nominated in the same category. It should have been Matt Damon in the supporting role
        in a miniseries for behind candelabra.
        that way both Matt Damon and Michael Douglas can both win an emmy
        I hope the tv movie “behind candleabra” wins an emmy , it was a really good movie

• F says:

Ron F’n Swanson

• Shell says:

Totally agree – Nick Offerman is a complete comedy legend and my absolute favourite character. Total snub of his talent and delivery.

• greysfan says:

LMFAO. Its so true though. The first name that comes to mind is Monica Potter. I can find about 20 names to fill that spot. I will say this though like i do every year, until they split the categories to cable and broadcast we are always going to have cable dramas and comedies dominate the nominations. Yes there was a bit more of a mix this year i feel but there are names and shows that deserve nods. Overall a lot of the nominations were as expected and i am ecstatic that Kerry Washington got her nod. Claire Danes will be hard to beat but if anyone can i think Kerry is the one who might just do it.

• Maki says:

NIna Dobrev didn’t get ONE! AWFUL! Really bad! She was tremendous throughout the whole Season! Its not okay cause they have prejudices and its just not Okay!

• Marcia says:

No Kaley Cuokoo as Penny? She is way better then the actresses nominated for Veep and Girls. I pretty much love everything on HBO, but those 2 shows are dumber than dumb. Also, Jennifer Carpenter is FABULOUS as Deb on Dexter. Can’t believe she isn’t on the list.

• luli says:

TATIANA MASLANY!

2. HeatherC says:

I don’t think either of them will win with that tough competition but I’m THRILLED to see Connie Britton and Kerry Washington both nominated for Lead Actress!!!!!! =)

• dude says:

I love Connie Britton, she’s the reason I started watching Nashville but lets be honest, she was nominated because of politics/the fact that she’s Connie Britton. She’s such a talented actress but she was given no material worthy of that nomination. I could point out more worthwhile performances in one episode of Friday Night Lights than an entire season of Nashville. Wish that nomination had gone to Tatiana Maslany but I’m not naive enough to believe she actually had a shot.

• Miv says:

I respectfully disagree. I mean, there’s no doubt in anybody’s mind that Nashville is a soap, but, IMO, the acting on that show is top-notch. Rayna is a much more conflicted and ultimately less likable character than Tami, but that doesn’t mean that Connie doesn’t sell that part. I’m not saying there weren’t maybe politics involved, but I think it’s unfair to say she doesn’t deserve it.

• Lyn says:

Dude, I agree. Know Connie is a critics’ darling from way back, and I don’t hate her, but I find her stiff in this part and her singing is awful. By contrast, Hayden P. has blown me away in her part — including radio-worthy singing — and I wish she’d been recognized for it.

• Whatever says:

All due respect to Connie but Tatiana Maslany should of been nominated .
          She’s playing 5 parts exceptionally well.

• GS says:

Hayden deserved it over her. She blew it out of the water all season. Connie just looked like she phoned it in but was nominated b/c of her experience. But that’s just my opinion. I didn’t watch Friday Night Lights either so I’m not a fan girl.

• Magically Suspicious says:

I agree. And I did watch FNL. I adore Connie Britton, but Hayden deserves this nod over her. She was tremendously deserving for FNL, but the only thing Emmy-worthy in her Nashville performance is trying to sell her singing as anything more than a joke. Hayden, on the other hand, knocked the season out of the park.

• cas says:

Not that I can say much because I haven’t watched the show, but the glimpse’s I saw, I do agree that Hayden deserved it over Connie. I feel everyone is a fan girl since Connie was in FNL. I loved FNL, and I was never a fan of Connie, sure she can act and is okay but I don’t think she is worthy of this nomination and I think she was handed it basically.

3. Dominique says:

Please do explain how it is possible that Tatiana Maslany didn’t get a nom? SHe plays so many different characters (pretending to be each other, as well) so brilliantly.. Ridiculous!
    Also; Ellen Pompeo rocked this season of Grey’s, with the pregnancy, falling down the stairs, scared her baby wasn’t gonna survive with every turn she took…
    Tho I’m not even surprised.. Grey’s seems to have been out of the running for years now.

• dude says:

Tatiana didn’t get nominated because she’s not in a prestige show and didn’t have enough buzz going in. It’s very political and not so much about who necessarily gave the best performance but who gave performances that stuffy critics and television snobs most talk about.

• You’re half right: buzz. If it wasn’t for TV critics, I wouldn’t have even heard of Orphan Black. The noms are always about popularity, and despite the pedigree of shows like Homeland, Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, those shows have developed a massive following and the Academy tends to follow trends. It’s unfortunate, but that’s the Emmy’s for you.

• Adam says:

“Stuffy critics and television snobs” do talk about Tatiana Malsany and how great she is in Orphan Black, and how much she deserves the win. The people who vote for the Emmys aren’t critics, though – they’re people who are members of the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, which consists of people who work in the television industry. They are nominated by their peers, not by the critics.

• Amanda says:

No, she didn’t get nominated because she plays more than one character…to get a nomination, you would have to submit footage of that ONE character’s scene…which “orphan” would she submit? She would have had to submit (to even have a chance) a scene for ALL the characters she plays on that show in order to receive the nod. Which one do you like better? I do remember hearing buzz about this when the show was on, the show couldn’t figure out which “orphan” scene to submit, so I think (don’t quote me on this) that they decided to go with none.

• liz says:

Its a scifi show….and the Emmy people seem to have a blindspot when it comes to that genre. Same reason why neither Anna Torv or John Noble got nominations for Fringe.
      Also probably doesn’t help that Orphan Black is Canadian.

• Geoff Gentry says:

I agree on the scifi bias. Canadian not so much (Downton Abbey is on there). But She played all those characters and made them each unique. The Fringe cast did a good job with it but she is much better at it. When can we get the awards to see scifi is just another way to tell a great story?

• Agreed! Emmy’s are ALL about mainstream (excluding GoT. Seems to be the exception). John Noble got screwed over for 5 years. Heaven forbid they actually use their imaginations once in a blue moon and see EVERYTHING that’s out there and not just what they’ve been told.
        And Orphan Black is a BBC/Canadian co-production and I also believe that most everything that comes out of the BBC is brilliant. Canadian tv is starting to hit it’s stride though, finally, and who produces it SHOULDN’T be taken into consideration when looking at performances (even though it more than likely, is).

And how the hell is Political Animals nominated AGAIN when it only had 8 episodes and was blatantly passed over for a second season?? Don’t get me wrong, I loved it but 2 Emmy’s in a row for a cancelled show? Come on!

• Brooke says:

GOT being an exception is 100% likely due to it being on HBO. It (unjustifiably, but it is what it is) makes it more legitimate in the eyes of those who nominate shows.

• Brooke says:

Absolutely a sci-fi bias against Tatiana. I tried to express disbelief she would get nominated a few weeks ago, but other TVLine commentors tried to tell me she has “buzz” and therefore had a chance. As a long suffering sci-fi and fantasy fan, I knew it was the longest of long shots if John Noble had never managed to scare up a nom. I wish it WASN’T this way, but it is, and I had no expectations of it being any different this time around.

• Mitholas says:

Oh my god yes. I’m sorry, but as much as I think the actresses that were nominated are great in their own right, this season no one had even so much as a drop on Tatiana. What she did on Orphan Black is mindblowing and completely unprecedented. Any award for outstanding actress in a tv series she doesn’t win this year is by definition robbery. Again, with all due respect to the other women, all fantastic actresses, but no one has done what Tatiana has on that show.

• tripoli says:

I’ve yet to watch Orphan Black but I’ve heard nothing but immense praise for Maslany. I was actually expecting to see her get a nomination since her name was all over the place and it was all so positive. Perhaps down the line she’ll get some award recognition. Not that she needs it. She’s clearly impressing people.

• Phil Holmes says:

History has proven the Emmys to be very much prejudiced towards the sci-fi genre, as was proven years ago in the case of Patrick Stewart as Capt. Picard on Star Trek TNG. His excellent performances in numerous episodes were left completely ignored, and I’m afraid the extremely talented star of Orphan Black may suffer the same fate. When will this blatant bias be overcome?

• Delirious says:

To me, Maslany’s snub seems like a revival of all the years John Noble didn’t get a single nomination for Fringe. Utterly ridiculous, TV Academy – shame on you.

4. S. from E. now says:

bööh, )= no parks and rec once more…

• Lauren says:

Ugh, I know. I feel like Modern Family is nominated just out of habit. It’s still a fun show but the writing really was sub par this year and Parks & Rec has managed to get better and better.

• Ashly says:

Amen to that! I feel like the Modern Family spots need to go to Parks & Rec and Arrested Development instead. Pretty happy about the 30 Rock, Louie, and Amy Poehler noms. Totally worthy.

5. Lincoln says:

#JuliannaMargulies in @TheGoodWife_CBS episode “Red Team/Blue Team” is superb. Grade A acting. No #Emmy nomination is a joke. #sad.

6. shellyelliot says:

I’m really over Kerry Washington and Scandal. I think I may be the only person who thinks that she isn’t a very good actress. And this show lost me as a fan when Fitz killed Vera.

• Lauren says:

You’re certainly not alone. I’m actually appalled that she’s nominated where I can’t watch one scene without being distracted by her over the top facial expressions.

• Kater says:

100000% agree with you! I tried watching because of all the praise heaped on this show but didn’t make it 5 mins cuz of her weird face. I am so glad others see it, too.

• Roma says:

SAME! I actually do not understand how on earth she’s nominated. I cannot watch the show without laughing at her horrible acting.

• Julie says:

Ha! Yes her facial expressions are horrendous! I’m glad I’m not the only one who notices this. And I still watch Scandal but I hate the toxic Fitz/Olivia relationship. I would rather see Olivia with Scott Foleys character.

• Amy says:

Absolutely agree. She is VERY overrated.

• Carmen says:

You are not alone at all. She’s just an average actress, definitely not Emmy worthy.

• A says:

I have no issue with Kerry but I am sick to death of all the praise Scandal gets. I saw the first season on Netflix and it was enjoyable enough but nothing special IMHO. Of course I can’t speak for this past season though.

• greysfan says:

I advise you go watch Season 2 because it took it to another level. Even i thought Season 1 was good but not great. It set it up for an incredible season 2.

7. jimbo says:

They’re playing it safe it seems. No surprises yet.

• jimbo says:

Aaaand the Emmys officially lost touch. Where are the nods to: Monica Potter? Andrew Lincoln? Keri Russell? Matthey Rhys? Jennifer Carpenter? Tatiana Maslany? Dexter? The Americans? The Walking Dead? This is a joke.

• Tara d says:

Agreed about the Americans. The show and the cast are amazing. It’s ridiculous they received no nods. Keri Russel is a bad ass., and Matthew rys kills it!

• trainwreck says:

OMG yes! Where is “The Americans” and its cast? I am so happy for GoT and AHS Asylum but the American’s being looked over is just lame! so so lame! They nominated Kerry Washington over Keri Russel? Scandal is a good show but only thing i find noticeable about Ms. Washington is her never ending “for all occasions” pout! Where as Keri Russel delivered it in every single episode!!

• Reece says:

Amen. Le yawn.

8. d says:

lol Matt LeBlanc.

9. China Blue says:

could Neil Patrick Harris just stay home for a few weeks. I’m sick to death of him.

10. xomareen says:

I am really not one to rage because of nominations, but Tatiana Maslany deserved that nom for Orphan Black.

11. Lauren says:

So excited for Kerry Washington!!!!!!!!!! I’m annoyed Emmy Rossum got passed over again and Parks and Rec didn’t get a nomination (In my opinion it IS the best comedy on tv, so wtf!) And Tatiana Maslany definitely deserved a nom but I wasn’t holding my breath for that. Can’t wait to see who was nominated for Supporting.

• Lauren says:

Just realised Julianna Marguiles wasn’t nominated, what the hell? I only agree with half of the Best Actress noms to be honest.

12. D. says:

Julianna Margulies, Jennifer Carpenter and DEXTER deserved a nod.

• Mark Kleinle says:

Agreed! Julianna Marguiles is a consistent lead who acts her socks off in every episode, although I had hoped she had not stood with her man, sorry Chris Noth, love you too!

13. rty123 says:

No Julianna Margulies or Tatiana Maslany or Keri Russell? WHAT? And for what? CONNIE BRITTON? I love her but Nashville was not even comparable to The Good Wife, Orphan Black or The Americans. Same thing goes for Michelle Dockery.

• Jj says:

You nailed it. I think those three are the most egregious snubs. Certainly more deserving than Kerry or (sadly) Connie

• Josie says:

You got it completly! and as Jj said more deserving than Kerry or sadly Connie who i love and i love both Nashville and Scandal but the there were actresses more deserving…

• t86 says:

I very agree about Julianna Margulies,Tatiana Maslany and Keri Russell..they deff should be here, and about Michelle Dockery she totally deserved. Her performance in Downton Abbey is truly amazing. I’m really happy to see Vera Farmiga, amazing performance in Bates Motel.

14. Alia says:

Always the same, specially comedy.

15. Wouter says:

Ok, i absolutely love Connie Britton, but i can’t think of a single scene in Nashville that makes her worthy of an Emmy nomination. I’m so over the Emmy’s it’s always the same.

• Megan says:

I completely agree. She does a good job on the show, but there was nothing Emmy worthy about her performance. And if anyone from Nashville was deserving of a nomination, it was Hayden.

• Maggie says:

I mostly agree with what you said. Except that one scene I think in ep 5 where she and deacon are having an argument a

16. receptionitis66 says:

The Office didn’t grab a nomination for its final season?! I don’t care if they deserved it or not, it should’ve been done just for the ceremony of the thing!

17. Columbus says:

The networks must be screaming – so few nominations for any shows on broadcast television.

18. KT8711 says:

Parks and Rec was robbed! Robbed I tell you!

I still don’t understand the fuss over The Big Bang Theory. I have tried to watch it so many times, and it just feels forced to me.

And while I loved the first season of Girls, the second season felt like a drop off to me.

When are they going to announce the supporting and guest star nominations? I want Michelle Fairley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau to get noms.

• Sylwek says:

I agree about Parks and Rec and TBBT. The first one is far superior than the latter. But I think that the second season of Girls was better than season 1, although more as a drama than a comedy.

• KT8711 says:

I agree. I think Girls succeeded more as a drama than a comedy in season two. In my mind, it shouldn’t have gotten a comedy nod this year for that reason.

• cas says:

I tried to watch Parks and Rec and barely made it through the first episode. I was bored and didn’t really laugh much at all for it being a comedy. TBBT on the other hand had me the first time I watched it. I didn’t want to fall asleep during the episode and I loved the cast.

• Anna says:

Honestly, the first season of Parks is ridiculously inferior to the rest of the show. Every time I tell people to watch, I tell them to start with season 2. Season 1 was a bit of a mess.

19. Columbus says:

No The Americans at all? Both Matthew Rhys and Keri Russell were terrific.

• Lyn says:

Not to mention terrific performances by Margo Martindale and Noah Emmerich (sp?). I’m a fan of “Mad Men” and others, but “The Americans” is one that I’m really anxious to see start up again!

20. JKR says:

The Americans, Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys got robbed. That show is amazing!

• AHS says:

The Americans was horrible. I love American Horror Story so when FX was coming out with the Americans, I was excited for a new show, but I was extremely disappointed. I felt like I was watching the same episode every week because the plot was the same. That show and the actors in it deserve no nominations for their performances.

21. Marcella says:

I’m wondering if Orphan Black would have fallen in this Emmy season since it’s a new show that aired it’s first season only a couple months ago. If it is though, where the heck is Tatiana Maslany’s name on the list of nominees for outstanding lead actress? She was the best and most hardworking actress this year.

22. Rachel says:

No New Girl!?!?! What the crap?!

• STL Cards Rule says:

YES!!! New Girl was hilarious this year. And what about Jake Johnson? He took his role to a whole ‘nother level!

• Nikki says:

I agree. Jake Johnson did one of the best comedic acting performances I’ve seen all year. He should have gotten the nod over Mathew Leblanc. I’m mean I love Matthew but really he plays himself!

• gdv says:

I had the exact same reaction! No New Girl at ALL?!?!!? Total B.S. Also, Tatiana Maslany was robbed, as were the supporting guys from Parks & Rec. Ugh, just, ugh!

• Jen says:

New Girl should have been nominated instead of Girls. A lot of comedies are better than that overrated crap.

23. Deb Saine says:

“fringe” once and for the last time snubbed …

24. Nina says:

What about Dexter? Tatiana Maslany? PARKS AND REC?!

25. Becca says:

So far, super bummed about Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife, and Parks and Rec (though not surprised), pleased about Amy Poehler, and confused about Connie Britton, even though she’s awesome.

26. John says:

Where are Tatiana Maslany,Matthew Rhys,Keri Russell???
    Shame,shame,shame!

27. Julia says:

I’m so very happy Michelle Dockery got nominated! She’s my favorite actress and if you watch Downton Abbey you know how talented she really is.

28. Becca says:

No love so far for New Girl?! C’mon!

29. shay says:

always the same people/show for 90% blah

30. cc says:

Yes, I am a grown woman about to say this, but can the Emmys just show The CW some love? Just once? There were some phenomenal performances on that net this year (not to mention for many years prior), but it’s frustrating how the net is just brushed over year after year because the Emmy crowd thinks that programming for younger adults isn’t “Emmy material.”

• Ava says:

Yes! Glad I’m not alone in wishing the CW would get some nominations. For example, the acting in The Vampire Diaries is top notch. Same with Arrow. Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev & Katie Cassidy gave incredible performances this year. I was also hoping to see Revenge’s Emily VanCamp get a nod for her amazing performance this year.

• GildedRose says:

The stunt and technical work on Arrow alone deserved a nod. I don’t know any other show that delivers the quality of stunts that Arrow does in *every single episode*. Utterly ridiculous.

31. Bobby says:

WTF at no Monica Potter?! Brb getting my pitchfork.

• jimbo says:

These Emmy nominations are officially a joke now.

• schu says:

KInda agree. Monica Potter & Peter Krause definitely deserved recognition here. I’m also very displeased that canceled or ended shows on premium cable got recognition but nothing for Happy Endings. It’s too difficult now with all the cable programming. Network television has produced just as good, if not better shows/acting performances on a scale where they can only push the envelope so far. It’s a real shame, this is why I feel the older generations now don’t care in the least about award shows.

32. Fred Sully says:

Elizabeth Moss’ time is up. She has been nominated like 7 times in a row and hasn’t won and won’t win now. Keri Russell and Tatiana Manslany were snubbed. Michael C.Hall should have a nomination for Season 7 of Dexter. The Drama categories were the most upsetting.

• Cal says:

Someone’s time is up because they haven’t won? Really? She’s nominated for a reason: she’s a talented actress and should continue being nominated for that reason.

• Lyn says:

No luck for her on “Mad Men,” but maybe she’ll have a chance with “Top of the Lake.” She’s great in it.

• Guest says:

Elizabeth Moss should win for Top of the Lake,she was brilliant… much better than Madmen

33. Bronagh says:

No Jessica Capshaw for supporting actress?? Wow. Emmys are so predictable. Dissapointing.

34. Joseph says:

Can’t believe Eric stonestreet didn’t get a nomination for Modern Family!

35. Meaghan says:

Justified and The Americans :(

• A.B. says:

Yes. And because these shows are gritty(Justified, Americans, Southland, Sons of Anarchy, He’ll on Wheels and so forth) they don’t get nominated. Come on give these other shows a chance.

• A says:

AGREED!!! WILL THE EMMY’S EVER GIVE GEMMA TELLER MORROW THE RESPECT SHE FRIGGIN DESERVES?!?!?! Its so annoying how these excellent shows and people get overlooked time after time. I started watching Mad Men and I am barely through the first season and I just don’t get it. It is sooo boring so far. Yet, it keeps getting nominated. I wanted to see what the fuss was about so I’m gonna give it a few more episodes but its just so irritating seeing these same people being nominated every damn year while other equally deserving shows and actors are constantly snubbed.

36. Eline_K says:

Really happy about Jeff Daniels!

37. Kenny says:

Kinda surprised Mariska didn’t sneak her way back in after Kathy Bates was gone…oh well

38. Qwest says:

No MAGGIE Q or SHANE WEST for a nominee in NIKITA! This definitely makes the purpose in having the Emmy awards worthless! People really don’t know the value of good television. Not to mention that Tatiana is also not nominated for her role in orphan black! That’s just…. no comment!

• Dominique says:

CW shows are never nominated. It’s been pisisng off the SPN and Veronica Mars fans for years. It’ll simply never happen, however sad that may be.

• Veronica Mars and Emmys? Sorry, not hating the show, but thats not an emmy worthy show. Supernatural maybe, but when you compare it to performances like Nina Dobrev’s on The Vampire Diaries, it’s nothing.

• Wouter says:

Uhm… Since when is Supernatural an Emmy worthy show? And in what kind of parralel universe is it better than Veronica Mars?

• Grace says:

Uhm… since always. Supernatural is the first show to catch my attention and keep it for over a year. I am still as obsessed with the series as I was when I first discovered it. The acting is phenomenal, the storyline is entertaining, and they’ve managed to keep this show interesting for 8+ years. I was shocked to discover that SPN has yet to win an Emmy. The acting from Jared, Jensen, and Misha, ALONE, is Emmy worthy.

• Dominique says:

Not talking about the shows perse, but I am talking about the actors. Jensen Ackles and Kristen Bell are both emmy-worthy, anyone watching those shows knows this to be true. And they’re certainly better than TVD actors. Not saying Nina isn’t a good actress, because she is. But she’s mostly hyped cause she plays two different characters. Take that away, and she’s not that much better than anyone else on that show.

• tiffanie says:

Kristen Bell is on a good show now acting opposite Don Cheadle who gets nominated and has won. Its called House of Lies on showtime

39. Becca says:

No Monica Potter?! Seriously?!?

40. Hannah says:

Not to say it isn’t deserving of accolades , but how is House of Cards a primetime show?

41. Cherry says:

Tatiana Maslany should’ve been nominated as well as Sarah Paulson, she was amazing in American Horror Story.

It’s crazy how Naya Rivera still isn’t nominated for any big awards for her role on Glee, it’s a terrible show but she’s the only highlight.

42. David Metcalfe says:

KERRY WASHINGTON and why is Kat Dennings not up for outstanding actress in comedy

43. AJ says:

Can’t say I am shocked, but the perennial “tradition” nominations are a joke (TBBT, Mad Men) while certain oversights scream b/s (Tatiana Maslany, New Girl, etc.) Like I said: none of this comes as a shock, but it is disappointing.

44. Laysa says:

Seriously, no Tatiana Maslany!! i don’t even understand,

45. pedro says:

no Tatiana Maslany? :(

46. Walter says:

Yay for Kerry Washington!

47. Wouter says:

Lol, Emilia Clark for outstanding supporting actress, but no Michelle Fairley. This is a joke right?

• Lauren says:

Seriously, what the hell? Same for Peter Dinklage over Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. Nikolaj deserved it more this season. I feel like they don’t even watch the show, they just pick the people that they’ve seen the hype over.

• Phil says:

I agree, Michelle Fairley should have been nominated, she is without a doubt the best actress on GoT this season, picking Emilia Clarke over her? That’s a joke, how can anything be considered better than Michelle Fairley’s performance during the red wedding?

• Liz says:

I SO don’t agree. While Michelle Fairley was amazing, Emilia is the main reason why most people watch this show! She does a fantastic job as Daenerys, she was so bad ass this season!

• Monica4185 says:

While Emilia Clarke is a wonderful actress and she has potential to be a great actress,but nothing Emilia Clarke did as Dany on GoT in S3 was memorable. I forgot most of her storyline.. Whereas Michelle Fairley and Nikolaj Coster-Waldu did at least one memorable thing this season. They took two of the most unlikeable characters in earlier seasons and made them memorable and likable and they should be recognize for that.Dany maybe a popular character but she is not the best character IMO.

• Olive says:

Well said Monica. I would even nominate Maisie or Lena before Clarke. Although, I bet Lena’s best work is coming when the show covers A Feast of Crows.

• tripoli says:

She may be popular but it’s quite a stretch to say she’s the main reason people watch the show. Her acting is fairly average and her story has been rather boring this season. She gets a lot of attention for her dragons and for her looks. Not quite what I would call Emmy worthy, especially when one takes into account the other actresses on the show who are significantly more talented than Clarke.

• Olive says:

Even though I wanted Nikolaj to get a nod, I still think Peter Dinklage did great work this season. I wanted them both to be nominated.

• Melissa says:

I completely agree. I’m not taking anything away from Peter Dinklage’s performance, but I was really hoping Nikolaj would get a nomination this year. I’m also dying to see Charles Dance or Jack Gleeson get nominated

• leysha says:

Emilia is easily the weakest female on the show; even Maisie Williams can act circles around her and she’s around 10 years younger.
      Lena Headey and Michelle Fairley not getting nods is ridiculous.

• KT8711 says:

I wonder what episode Emilia submitted. If it was for “And Now His Watch Is Ended,” that would be hilarious. It was arguably her best acting all season, but she spoke a fictional language during her best scenes.

• Love Hate says:

Emila Clarke for the win! I love her although I see what you are saying. Michelle Fairly was very good this season! I was more disappointed thought in Nikolaj Cster Waldau not getting nominated but Peter Dinklage getting it. That’s ridiculous.

• Emilia Clarke totally deserved a nom. She was amazing last season, and i’m rally happy that they have recognized her performance.

• Mike R. says:

This, I love Emilia Clarke, but she is nowhere near Emmy worthy, and it is a travesty that she was nominated over the wonderful Michelle Fairley or basically anyone else on the show.

• Meh says:

Well, those people either didn’t watch the show or they are complete morons. Nothing against Emilia, but her role wasn’t that challenging since S1. Michelle should have been nominated. Maisie Williams is also pretty great, IMO. I don’t get why she wasn’t even considered.

48. Nic says:

Wait a minute. No nod to Monica Potter? She did such a splendid job with the breast cancer storyline.

49. N says:

Hannibal! Mads & Hugh!!!!!!!!!!

50. Andria says: