The Mindy Project Season 2: James Franco to Replace Dr. Lahiri?!

GHfrancoIn a development that pop culture-loving Dr. Mindy Lahiri would wholeheartedly endorse, a much buzzed-about celeb will take her place in The Mindy Project‘s upcoming second season.

Freaks and Geeks alum James Franco is joining the Fox comedy for a two-episode arc as the doc who fills in for Mindy while she and Pastor Casey volunteer in Haiti.

RELATED | The Mindy Project‘s Ike Barinholtz on how the Writers’ Room Is  ‘Deeply Divided’ When It Comes to Mindy/Danny Romance

Franco’s character, Dr. Paul Leotard, is a charismatic and popular physician — and former model — who helps pick up the slack at Shulman & Associates. (His decision to leave the world of couture for a medical career came when he accidentally walked off a Fashion Week runway and was saved by a pregnant woman, thus cementing his desire to help expectant mothers for the rest of his life.)

The series announced the casting via its Facebook page.

The Oscar nominee’s career includes stints on TV (General Hospital, 30 Rock and Hollywood Heights) and in film (127 Hoursthe Spider-Man franchise), in addition to academic, directorial and performance-art pursuits. He’ll soon be seen as Hugh Hefner in the upcoming biopic Lovelace.

Dr. Paul will be on call for the first two episodes of Mindy‘s new season, which premieres at 9:30/8:30c on Tuesday, Sept. 17.

1. Rebecca Parker says:

This should be fun, and hopefully draws in a few new eyeballs to a vastly underrated show!

2. Kimberly says:

Ha! I dislike James Franco, but I love The Mindy Project and can just see how his character will infuriate Danny. Jeremy will probably feel threatened by him at first, but they will end up bonding. Of course, Morgan loves everyone, so that will be fantastic. Also, I hope this sets up some more shenanigans with the midwives.

3. Nat says:

I like The Mindy Project, but its casting director really should be replaced. Aside from a couple of exceptions (Anna Camp and Ike Barinholtz) the weak supporting cast and their terrible subplots weigh down a fantastic leading lady and a comedy with huge amounts of potential. This casting of the expressionless Franco, whose popularity I have never understood, is yet another misfire.

• liz says:

I kinda have to agree with you on this.

• scooby says:

I’m gonna have to disagree actually. Too many great guest actors to go through them all. And don’t part me from my Chris Messina. ;) At least you like Ike. I can get behind any character that feels the need to tattoo “No More Stealing Cars” on himself like a human post-it. If there’s any justice he gets into comedy supporting actor category once the Modern Family chokehold loosens.

• Nat says:

Yeah, I’m really won over by Morgan. At times he reminds me of Andy from Parks and Rec. And I would also grant a season pass to your Chris Messina – will give it to you that he’s the strongest of the rest of them ;) I think you’re right about the previous guest stars too, I didn’t give them enough credit. I think that’s some of Mindy’s Office/NBC-related ties at work though (Bill Hader, Allison Williams, Ellie Kemper, Ed Helms…)

4. redjane12 says:

This is brilliant! The Mindy Project is one of the few good new shows this past season (in my opinion!) and deserves more praise than it gets… This kind of absurd storyline -model walks off runway accidentally & is saved by pregnant woman… – is perfect…

5. Jared says:

I love that James Franco continues to pick such diverse projects. He’s one of my favorite actors. Not a huge fan of The Mindy project but ill definitely catch Francos 2 episode arc.

6. Borte says:

I enjoy this show a great deal.

7. aani says:

SERIOUSLY!!!! people watch this show???!!!?!!?!!?

8. ajintexas says:

This was one of the worst new shows last season and somehow it managed to get renewed. I don’t know what Fox execs are thinking.

• scooby says:

I doubt they’re thinking about your taste in television, and thank God for that. Go ahead and be bitter that [insert show--was it Ben and Kate? It was wasn't it?] didn’t get renewed. Don’t think I don’t know you’re angry that something else got cancelled. I’m also fairly sure you didn’t watch the entire season. Even if it was uneven, there were a lot of things to like and the promise for a good 2nd season was definitely there. Mindy, Ike, etc. are funny people getting the hang of a new show and doing a pretty good job of it. Did you even make it past the pilot to see that? The Mindy Project fits well with New Girl, and I’m someone who watches both. It makes sense to package them together. I’ve been on the other end of the renewal/cancellation game as fan and it’s nice to have one go my way for once. I’ve still not forgiven NBC for things they cut years ago.

9. CourtTV says:

Franco would probably do what his character did in his real life

10. Exbff says:

Absolutely cannot stand James Franco. Guess I’ll channel surf those two weeks.

11. like John answered i’m blown away that a mother able to profit $7523 in four weeks on the web. did you scan this internet link……. w­w­w.g­r­e­e­n­2­8.C­o­M

12. zaza says:

Knowing Franco’s penchant for trying new things, I thought the article would say that he would actually be playing Mindy, lol!

13. Midori says:

I really don’t understand this show. It’s not funny, and no one on it acts like doctors.

14. Ruby says:

Man, I love this show, but ugh, why can’t I get away from James Franco? I don’t WANT to see his face in everything.

• Cathy says:

THIS!!! REALLY!!!! Someone, PLEASE explain the appeal of him. He looks smug in every single thing he does and acts the same in everything i’ve seen him in! UGH! Please, PLEASE do not cast him in Mindy Project. And for the people hating on Mindy Project, you DEFINITELY did not watch the entire season. Like with any new show it took several episodes to find its footing, but after that it was hilarious!