Cory Monteith's 10 Best Glee Moments

It seems like just yesterday that a relatively unknown Canadian actor named Cory Monteith became a household name with his breakout performance as Glee‘s hopeful, goofy, sometimes insecure, oftentimes romantic, but always loveable football jock Finn Hudson.

RELATED | Glee Star Cory Monteith Dead at 31

Sadly, the young star’s life was cut short when he was found dead at age 31 in a Vancouver hotel room Saturday afternoon, robbing fans of the chance to see how he’d grow and develop his craft both in Glee‘s upcoming fifth season and beyond.

RELATED | Glee Exclusive: 4 Original Cast Members Not Returning as Series Regulars for Season 5; Plus — Who’s Getting Promoted?

Nevertheless, Monteith leaves behind dozens of wonderful musical performances and unforgettable scenes (both funny and dramatic) from his time on Fox’s musical comedy. Click through the gallery below for 10 of our favorite Finn Hudson moments, then hit the comments and share your own.

1. Tonya says:

Take note young ones…drugs are BAD! RIP Cory…another person lost far too soon.

2. Aleksalynn says:

The wedding was great.

3. Hallie says:

Great Finchel Moments; S1E2, the 1st Finchel kiss, S3E9 Finn naming a star after himself for Rachel , S3E10 Finn asking Rachel to marry him, S4E9 Finchel Phone Call, S4E16 Finn kicking Brody’s ass and saying stay away from my future wife. So many more… He will be greatly missed. RIP Cory.

4. Stephanie Strain says:

There were more…not all musical. In s1, when Mr Shue is leaving, Finn brings New Directions together w Journey songs & coordinates a number, coincidentally renewing Mr Shue’s desire to stay @ McKinley. When the set list was leaked, Mr Shue convinced Finn to restabilize the New Directions & they pulled off a win against all odds. In Theatricality, Finn did back Kurt up against the school bullies…and the New Directions backed him up, in turn. In Thriller ep., despite Sue’s prohibition, Finn convinced the Cheerio/NDs to come support ND, while coordinating football player recovery with Puck and orchestrating a game victory, again against all odds. Finn made lots of mistakes, but gradually learned from them. Corywas excellent as he portrayed the story of a young man, feeling his way as he was growing up.

Cory: A hero who fell in battle against a strong, cruel & devious enemy. He will be missed, but will be remembered

• MC says:

Cory was a fine young actor and I enjoyed everything he did on Glee. My favorite musical number featuring Cory was the duet with Lea on “No Air.” I always enjoy listening to that one. It’s too bad that some adults have stigmatized Glee as a show for kids/teenagers; Glee has explored many issues that affect people of all ages. Cory was a big part of the most relevant storylines. I am saddened and shocked by his passing.

5. Laurie B says:

Very well put together. Makes me want to spend the day having a Glee marathon and remembering what made me fall in love with everything Glee.

6. O'Brien says:

Watching Cory and Lea in the car scene in “Goodbye” … I defy someone not to see the brilliance in both of them. He had what was possibly the hardest task on the show: to make it believable that a popular jock was as vulnerable as the kid at the bottom of the ladder. He nailed it, always infusing Finn with a heart you could find directly on his sleeve.

• Timmah says:

Yes, that really showed how Finn had grown as a character, and Cory as an actor. Selfishly, I will miss seeing him on the show. RIP Cory.

7. JR says:

I’m just heartbroken. Cory was so talented and I was really looking forward to following his career for many years. While I didn’t start watching Glee because of Cory, it was his honest, unaffected, heartfelt performances that kept me watching. Cory’s talent often transcended the material. He was and always will be the heart and soul of Glee.

8. Opal says:

God these episode titles “Goodbye” “Swan Song” etc and his last episode was “Sweet Dreams” RIP Cory

9. Jenny says:

Just a shame we didn’t see his full potential as an actor. Finn didn’t always do the right and many times put his foot in his mouth. Yet Cory was able to create a character that even with flaws you wanted to see him find his way. Whatever the eventual cause of death is we still lost someone way too young.

10. Androme says:

It was too soon. Rest in Peace Cory. 1982-2013

• Midori says:

Wow….

The date hits hard. You think “31 is too young”, then you look at the date and it’s only a few years before me, and a few years after my best friend and the sadness just sinks in even more.

11. Lindsey says:

This show will never be the same. Goodbye Cory I hope where ever you are you are in peace. My heart goes out to the cast and crew of the show and to Lea and his family. Rest In Peace.

12. BGM says:

His comforting hug with Kurt the morning after the Klaine/Finchel break up will always be one of my favorite memories. Both Cory and Chris were magnificently subtle in that scene.

I have a lot of gripes with Glee’s writing, which is why I don’t watch it any more, but the trajectory of Finn and Kurt’s storyline from unrequited crush to brothers was, thankfully, never messed with.

13. Beth says:

I loved every performance Cory did on glee. Finn is and will always be my favorite character in Glee. His performances and portrayal of Finn were endearing and genuine because he was. This awful and no matter how it happened the world just lost a kind and gentle soul. Goodnight Cory you will be greatly missed.

• Willa says:

Cory/Finn will always be my favorite actor/character on Glee. His character made me love Glee from the pilot. All of his performances have gone through my mind since waking up to this news. I will miss his voice, Finn with a little Cory mixed in, watching his generosity and his singing, acting and his dancing. He was such an endearing person. A kind soul. He loved life and those who were in it. I miss him already. Glee will never be the same. Such a wonderful person inside and out.

14. Jamie says:

I would add The Scientist performance. I just watched that this morning and now it seems so prophetic “Nobody said it was easy.” And that last part of the song where Finn is seen standing there alone. So sad. Reminds me of the end of Stand By Men when River Phoenix fades out of view.

15. I would add ‘faithfully’. beautiful performance. R.I.P Cory!

16. johnny says:

this makes me so sad. RIP cory and strength to his loved ones. he has left a good mark in glee. i think ill always be sad whenever ill be watching glee because i feel like has a left the show a void that none can fill. we’ll all miss him…

17. Amanda says:

I stopped watching Glee last season, and I hated abandoning it because of how much I loved watching Cory act. I’m so gutted that is a list that had to be made.

18. Para says:

I can’t watch anything with cory in it yet…..

Glee should end with a shortened season five run to tie up loose ends.

I want finchel story line to end with a postcard from Finn saying that he is finally transferring to NYU from Lima and do not add any more romantic storyline for Rachel more than that.

Finchel is end game though lean and cory may never be together any more.

I hope glee eps and directors are considerate enough to make that happen.

Love Finn, love cory

Rip

19. karenb says:

Hey had me at Jessie’s Girl.

God I hate this. He was my favorite character. And I was so concerned when he entered rehab again.

RIP CORY

20. Kobe Busia says:

Again, Cory Monteith’s sudden and unexpected death leaves me quite in shock and disbelief. I still can’t believe that such a young and great actor with a promising future in store for him was taken from us. He was my favorite actor on Glee, and he had grown so much as a singer. I was so ready to see him back on Glee once the 5th season started, and to think that he won’t be there anymore is so sad. He was such an essential element to the Glee cast and his presence on screen was striking and incredible. All my thoughts, grief, and sorrow goes out to his family, friends(including fellow Glee castmates) and most of all, Lea Michele, who must be breaking down in tears as we speak. R.I.P. Cory, U will never be forgotten.

21. Caro says:

The scene where he and Rachel are standing backstage waiting to go on and he tells her he loves her always gets me. I can’t believe he’s gone! This feels so surreal… I can’t imagine how horrible this is for Lea Michele. My heart goes out to her. I think this is so much worse than the death of other celebrities because we are mourning Cory, Finn and Finchel. So incredibly sad!

22. Angela says:

“Don’t Dream It’s Over” is one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone, and Cory’s performance did it justice. And “Grilled Cheesus” is one of my favorite episodes of the show in general, his storyline being a big reason why. Those are my top picks from this list, but the whole thing is full of good moments.
    And man, seeing the moments between Finn and Rachel-the way Cory and Lea portrayed their relationship and all its ups and downs was perfect.

23. Julianna says:

My favorite Finn moment in all Glee seasons was in Born This Way, in season 2. Finn showing Quinn he had put her pre-surgery picture in his wallet and his reasoning for that was very sweet and inspiring.
    I also felt a deep respect for Finn in season 3’s finale Goodbye when he chose to break up with Rachel in order to let her pursue her longtime dreams of being on Broadway. Those two moments made me remember why I used to like Finn as a character so much. I am not a Finchel shipper and in fact I think they brought out the worst of each other, but Cory was perfect for the role. I’m deeply sad for his death and I’m keeping his friends, family and girlfriend in my prayers. RIP, Cory. You’ve gone far too soon.

24. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    Gone too soon. RIP Cory Moneith. He was born in May 11, 1982 and died in July 13, 2013. ‘Glee’ was the best show ever.

25. Sar says:

I played his take of “I’ll Stand By You”. It already was emotional, and now the song just means so much more. Gone too soon……

26. Will says:

I never, ever liked Cory on Glee, from episode one, and anytime he sang I’d always wonder why he was the one chosen to be the male lead (something that I still wonder to this day) but as an actor myself, and as a fellow human being, it’s incredibly saddening to know that someone just coming off of the height of his fame, and with potential for a long career, died at an old-for-playing-a-teenager-but-still-young 31.

I wish his family and loved ones the greatest sympathy in dealing with his passing, and while I may have always wanted him to be absent from Glee, there was no good reason for him to die at this point in his life, and it’s very unfortunate that whatever happened to him did.

27. martha says:

it is very sad to lose smeone who had a strong character both in actin and in real life bt dats wat God planned for him bt u alwyz be remembered bt with al respect my heart goes out to sweet lea n de family of cory. R.I.P cory/finn.

28. Jacob says:

drugs killed him like they kill people every day

29. Marco says:

Top 10 Scenes of Cory and no ‘I’ll Stand By You’ or the scene where he expresses his feelings about his betrayal by Puck and Quinn? Why? Those were two of his best moments!

30. John says:

If they decide to address his death in the show, Lea shoud sing Monrose’s “Stolen”.

31. Krista says:

Ugh I hate this. I always told my daughters to search for a boyfriend like Finn. Sweetest guy ever. We are all so broken hearted

32. Trouty Mouth says:

I was often ambivalent towards the character of Finn, but Cory was obviously a lovely, generous and talented human being and will be greatly missed.

• Johnny says:

Agreed. Everyone can’t stop saying how nice he was, which really means a lot given how catty Hollywood types can be.

33. Hey I’m sorry for your lost

34. He Was a druggie many people die of that every and they good people too

35. Cathy says:

Jessie’s Girl was his best performance. He will be missed by all who loved him. I just want to hug Lea and tell her everything is going to be Ok. The cast knows that us gleeks will always have Cory in our hearts

36. Habibi says:

You in fact make it appear really simple together with your presentation but I discover this topic to be genuinely something which I believe I may never realize. It seems too complicated and really broad for me. Im taking a look forward for your next post, I will try to get the cling of it!

37. Habibi says:

Cool text dude, maintain up the excellent function, just shared this with the mates

38. joshy says: