So You Think You Can Dance Recap: Tides Are Turning, Bringing Winds of Change [Updated]

SYTYCD Top 18 Results RecapAs a reality TV recapper, it’s always easier to rage against the machine — They cut the wrong girl! We didn’t need a fourth judge! A pixie haircut does not equal the second coming of Melanie Moore! — than it is to tip your hat or raise your glass when positive changes take effect.

But for tonight’s So You Think You Can Dance recap, I’m going to take the road less traveled and celebrate a trio of fantastic developments:

* The introduction of new blood to the pool of choreographers. (They may not have cooked up my very favorite routines, but they definitely slapped an oar against the surface of the pool to fight the process of stagnation.)

* The very necessary course-correction to save the week’s eliminations till the end of the episode, rather than announcing them before the start of the night’s competitive routines.

* The introduction of contestant-squeezing, superlative-spewing Paula Abdul to the judges’ panel. No, I wouldn’t want her on the show every week, but there’s a certain charm to her je ne sais crazy.

But enough of my upbeat manifesto…let’s get to the results:

BOTTOM 6 (BASED ON VOTES FROM LAST WEEK)
Jasmine M (WHA? After that Best-in-Show Tango???)
Jenna
Alexis
BluPrint
Curtis
Jade* (who’d already withdrawn at the top of the show due to a torn meniscus)

ELIMINATED IMMEDIATELY
Jade

SENT IMMEDIATELY TO SAFETY
BluPrint
Curtis

DANCING FOR THEIR LIVES
Alexis: A joyous tap routine with some wicked pointe work (that, to me, didn’t make up for back-to-back lumbering routines out of her own style)
Jasmine M: A frantic bit of contemporary work that was athletic, if not entirely fulfilling
Jenna: A basic bit of solo ballroom stuff, enhanced by a cascade of orchid fringe that swayed like Shakira’s hips on fast-forward

ELIMINATED AT THE END OF THE SHOW
Jasmine M (even though it should’ve been Alexis)

And now, let’s break down this week’s routines. Click through the images below for my take on the proceedings:

1. Maggie says:

Aaron & Jasmine had maybe the best Broadway routine since Melanie & Tadd’s “Black Swan” number from season 8, major kudos to Spencer Liff. Aaron really surprised me, he tackled some really tough choreography like a pro. Makenzie & Paul’s was gorgeous, made even better by the perfect song choice (Idina Menzel singing from RENT). goosebumps for both of these numbers.

2. Tracy says:

Jasmine Mason lost her Grandmother the morning of last week’s performance show. She had two really strong performances going into this week. That was not the right decision. Ah well, won’t be the last disappointment with this show.

3. Cloo says:

Not a good week.

• MC says:

I did not enjoy the choreography very much this week. Sometimes change for change sake is not a good thing. I thought last week’s selection of dances was much more lively. There was better chemistry between the dancers last week. I know that everyone hates to agree with the judges, and especially NIgel, but Malece was my favorite tonight. I don’t see Melanie when I watch her dance, but that might be because I didn’t think much of Melanie. I shared Paula’s enthusiasm for Malece. I wish Paula was on this show every week because she is open-minded, impartial and really loves dance. I feel that some of the other guest judges love to hear themselves talk, but Paula just enjoys being there to soak up whatever the dancers and choreographers have to offer.

• I don’t know if it was the choreography that I didn’t like or the judges that pulled me out of the show. I don’t normally FF through the judges commentary – I will even listen to Tyce ramble. However, UGH, Paula was her rambling self and that other woman? SO ANNOYING and unhelpful I couldn’t stand it. I barely stopped long enough to watch the dances last night.

4. erin says:

I think Mariah may end up in the bottom (with Alexis for sure, not sure who I’d put in that third spot). Mackenzie & Paul were my favorites of the night, but I did love Amy & Fik-shun, Jenna & Tucker, Malece & Marko and Jasmine & Aaron. I’m hoping Alexis & BluPrint go home next week.

• Elf says:

Hopefully, it’s Alexis, Mariah and Hayley and Alexis goes home. I’d love to see Hayley and Maleace follow her leaving Mariah, Mackenzie, Jenna, Jasmine and Amy in the tour group. As for guys, BluPrint will almost certainly go home next, though I’d be happy if Curtis went too. I say Alan should go after that, if only for complete lack of charisma. That leaves Fik-Shun, Tucker, Paul, Aaron and Nico in the top ten.

5. Lanie says:

Malece is a but overhyped I think, though Id be lying if i said watching her dance with Marko didn’t bring back a little bit of Melanie flashbacking.

Honestly, if we’re going to dub a second coming of Melanie Moore, it would probably be Amy. She’s definitely a favorite from the start, but I have a feeling she’s going to go far.

(Also I loved the music choices tonight. The Smash soundtrack inclusion, and the Idina Menzel version of No Day But Today…..breathtaking)

6. jaime says:

Which Jasmine dated Cyrus?

• Marion says:

Jasmine H– shorter hair, dancing with Aaron, didn’t get eliminated. I’m dreading the All-Star weeks, because while I’m glad they’ve stopped talking about Cyrus every time they critique her, I have a horrible feeling that if Cyrus comes back as an All-Star, they’re going to go back to talking about that relationship ALL THE TIME, and my nightmare scenario is that they’re paired together. That would be seriously uncomfortable and unnecessary for everyone.

• GTS says:

Yes. They are going to pair Jasmine and Cyrus up, with a really emotional contemporary routine. Depending on how obvious they want to go, it will be about a really sad breakup. Then, when she cries Nigel is going to ask, “Who were you thinking about”, Jasmine will cry and say Cyrus’ name, and every single viewer will get extremely uncomfortable.

• Midori says:

And they will throw her under the bus to try to get ratings instead of just having a dancing show.

This is why the old man was fired from Idol, and he needs to be fired from SYTYCD.

• big cheddar says:

I don’t think so! It’ll be lyrical hiphop.

• scooby says:

Oh I think they’ll go the opposite way with it. Give them a really passionate romance in a contemporary routine. Maybe even put a kiss into it. Just because that would be particularly knife-twisty for Jasmine.

• canadian ninja says:

If they do that will Nigel buy me a new tv when I puke all over the one I have now?

• Isabel says:

While there isn’t any doubt this show likes to play up things like this one part of your scenario is highly unlikely to occur. As Cyrus is an animator bringing him back as an All Star they would not have him dance a contemporary piece (a style he truly was not a master at despite the sliding scale praise he received last year). The All Stars dance within their specialties. Now they might give them a HH piece together. I was uncomfortable with the frequency with which they have brought up their failed relationship. Having them dance together in some emotional piece would be cringe worthy.

• GTS says:

Jasmine Harper (Aaron’s Partner). The one that didn’t get sent home tonight.

7. GTS says:

Anyone tapper who taps and goes ON POINT in a solo deserves to stay.

8. GTS says:

Does anyone else think the format is still a bit awkward? When Cat told the girls in danger to go get ready, and the first soloist didn’t even leave the stage, she just walked back, it was weird. Why can’t they say who’s in danger, do the solos, and send someone hold all at the end of the show?

• tjj50 says:

This was why the show had changed the format in the first place, because it felt like the judges were totally communicating who they were sending home throughout the episode, so there was no real tension in the eliminations. I agree with Michael they were way overly critical to Jasmine M and Alan. When I think on an upper crust Royal I don’t see them making cheesy faces. I felt they did stick to the character of the bored Brit. But i’m no dancer, so what do I know? So we’re back to the eliminations at the end, but at least the dancers have some idea of their standing and can (maybe) pull something out that may change the judges minds.

• GTS says:

I think it’s a little less obvious who they are going to send home if you don’t know who is in danger. After Alexis’ positive review, and Jasmine’s bland, watery one, it was pretty clear who they were sending home. If viewers weren’t trying to see which of the 3 girls in danger were going home based on critiques, you wouldn’t really be able to tell. Also, knowing you are in danger of elimination shouldn’t effect how you dance.

9. pfitzdc says:

Well Nigel pretended that they hadnt made up their minds against Jasmine but it was clear in their tentative comments about the royals routine…which was flawless…and then confirmed when they rolled the goodbye tape, which was edited to alternate Jasmine and jade, and thus couldn’t have been prepped without notice. She was in my top 3 of the girls, but when she was the only contemporary dancer in the bottom I knew she was a goner. Should have been one of the three bland girls: Malece Hayley or McKenzie. Bummed….

• Midori says:

The judges know who is in the bottom the day before. Well probably now last week, so they have plenty of time to make tapes of all the possible outcomes, but I agree. The show used to feel real, about giving unknown dancers a chance. They even sometimes gave the dancers jobs or training off the show.

Now it’s just all staged to try to make drama or improve the horrible ratings.

I’m just sad this show couldn’t go out on a better note.

• GTS says:

Or they had one for all of the bottom 3 girls…

• sarah says:

They most likely had a goodbye video for all the girls mixed in with Jade and next week (well not next week as it is the All Star Game) but the week after they will do the same with the bottom 3 girls and guys: make videos for each. While they do make up their minds on who to send home at the start of the show I am sure if someone has a great solo (which is why they make them dance for their lives) and a great routine, I am sure the judges would change their minds!

10. Drew says:

I’m starting to notice a growing pattern of the females being violent toward the men on the show. The slaps and the punches and throwing around… it would never fly if it were the men beating up women.

And I’m pretty sure that the dance where the girl puts the whammy on the guy so that she can have her way with him and he doesn’t remember a thing is more than a little rape-y.

I’ve been bored with the dances this year so maybe I’m just letting my mind wander more. Has it always been this way?

• Pamela says:

I don’t like the violence either–not necessary. It wasn’t funny to me when Paula started smacking Nigel around for that matter. The judges don’t need to get attention. The dancers do! How about some nice, pretty, skillful, fun dances? Emotion is fine, but I don’t want to cringe –and not too many downers please.

• scooby says:

I could’ve done without the leather outfit butt groping routine from a couple weeks ago. It’s all you can stare at and it’s awkward. I’ve seen much sexier routines.

11. Midori says:

Just cancel this mess of a show. This show used to be about dance and the contestants. Now it’s about the judges and trying to get a season 11. The dancers try their hardest, dance for 2 minutes as the judges just screw about for 8. A mess.

And they should have brought Carlos back. Or better, never get rid of him in the first place, then there wouldn’t be an issue with last week’s bizarre show.

• Rob Olivier says:

I so agree! Carlos was a bad elimination last week and the show blew a great chance to make up for it. Last week it should have been either Blueprint or Jade. Now to make matters worse, Alexis is still here and one of the top females in Jasmine M.(should be top 5) was eliminated after having back-to-back outstanding performances. Unreal! This is part of the problem in having one 2 hour show each week instead of 2 nights. Plus didn’t people notice how Alan was in the bottom(undeserved) now Jasmine M. Something is not right.

• Midori says:

It doesn’t need to be on two nights, it just needs to be about dance. I’m starting to think Carlos was asked back and he told them to screw themselves after the way he was handled like trash last week. He was worthy of the top 10 and they got rid of him because they felt the audience liked untrained Jade more. He was in the bottom three too!

Maybe they need to redo the show completely. Have more dance / music guests again and less stupid judges flirting with each other talking about how great they are. And have the judges be meaningless, go 100% on America’s vote. Never know why they never did that from the beginning.

• MC says:

I was just re-visiting the top 20 dance with Carlos, Malece and Hailey. Carlos is the star of that one. I thought he was great, just as good as any of the males still on the show.

• Kay says:

I agree that Carlos should not have been eliminated.It should have been Jade at that time. I thought Carlos would be in top of the guys this season.

• Tabby Bell says:

I completely agree with everything you just said, other than going 100% on popular vote part, since it’d probably just become even less about dance, and more just a giant popularity contest. It seems like there’s already too many people just skating by because they’re cute, or have a nice personality instead of actually being judged on their dancing…

• Noah Coleman says:

Brittany was also cut to early.

• Aprilcot says:

While Carlos was technically brilliant, I get the feeling that his personality rubbed people the wrong way. It definitely did me.

• scooby says:

Yeah I could see him telling them to buzz off about returning, or that they didn’t want him returning based on his attitude. Maybe somebody nicer would’ve gotten asked back. (Let’s look on the bright side, we got to see Marko!) Remember, they talk to choreographers and people who are looking at how they are to work with, not just the performances on the show. The judges clearly watch rehearsals like Idol. I think Paula called Paul Alan because Alan was next up and she looked at the wrong pre-written note for a second. She’s done that before on AI.

12. Consuelo says:

Marko!!!

13. Kara says:

I don’t get why people keep complaining about Carlos…there was nothing particularly interesting or special about him. Yeah, he was better than BluPrint, but everyone’s better than BluPrint…it’s not the judges fault that America votes on personality more than talent. Every season has a dancer who has no business being on the show and yet makes it to he top 10 (at least). Carlos, for all of his skill, wasn’t particularly that captivating on-stage….a trend, unfortunately, for most of the men this season.

• Midori says:

Because he was better than Jade, the judges pretty much admited that they only kept Jade because they thought that would be good for the “viewers” aka better for ratings.

The judges shouldn’t have a say in it at all, the votes should decide 100% who goes home, not the judges. Then there would be no issues.

• -A says:

It wouldn’t be better if America’s votes determined who was going home, because nobody who has been in the bottom the past couple shows should have been. I really don’t know what to believe. The judges have also cut the people I thought shouldn’t have been cut.

• Midori says:

America’s vote is how these type of shows go. It’s not the best singer or dancer it’s the one America likes the most.

At least this way if Carlos was the lowest rated one than he would have known it, it would be America’s stupid fault. It would be “We know you are better Carlos, but we think America likes Jade more, even though he probably has less votes”.

Years and years ago, I think for only half a season, they did it that the judges would pick the bottom three and America would vote on who they would like to keep. I’m actually in favor of that. The judges has a purpose, and everyone who has been in the bottom the last two weeks wouldn’t have been.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

You are making the assumption that Carlos didn’t get the least amount of votes. Early on, it’s harder to assume the audience screwed up. No one gets the “Judge’s Save” the first time around in any competition.

14. Meri says:

My heart is broken…Jasmine is out? What is going on? We’ve been “spending” all of our votes on Jasmine and Alan. These two have been rock solid thus far (although I think the routine they were given today wasn’t the best they’ve been given.). Bummed and truly confused…who is counting the votes?

• Sookie says:

I absolutely agree! That tango last week was perfection. And after they tell the other girl that the choreographers say she doesn’t take direction well? And the overly harsh criticism of her dance with Alan is bound to hurt him this week in the voting.

• Noah Coleman says:

I don’t get it either. What were they thinking eliminating her instead of Alexis?!

• Denia says:

Just saw this episode on the DVR and was absolutely floored that Jasmine M was let go over Alexis. Alexis is a fun tapper to watch but her technical skills pale in comparison to Jasmine’s (and all of the other femaie contestestants for that matter). I know the judges saw this too so there must have been an alterior TV ratings or something going on. Most disappointing.

15. wordsmith says:

In the same way that guys like Dmitri and Twitch should never have to wear a shirt on stage, Jenna should never have to wear pants. It just seems like a waste…

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

At the very least, no more flats. She looked so awkward…I bet even her bedroom slippers are wedgies.

16. veronica says:

Was anyone else really uncomfortable with the way they described Nick and Alexis’ dance? She hypnotized him so she could “have her way with him” and he wouldn’t remember anything. Did SYTYCD just accidentally promote date rape?

17. MA says:

I don’t get the Malece love. She’s so…formulaic. For me, Jenna and Tucker were the best of the night: cool, sexy, badass, interesting. Don’t know why Jenna was in the bottom three, but I hope she’s not next week.

• Eli says:

Jenna can’t be best of the night as long as she’s wearing those pants…

• GTS says:

True. And Paula can’t be the best judge when she’s looking like Big Bird got his shoulders cut off. And spilled a light stick over himself.

• Aprilcot says:

Not a Malece fan either. Last night was the first time I truly enjoy the piece she was performing and I’m pretty sure it’s because Marko elevated her to another level. I don’t believe she would have gotten the same praise were she still dancing with Jade.

• MC says:

Amy is the best female this season imo, but Malece made a good impression last night. I hate to point out that Melanie imo was elevated on a weekly basis by having Marko as her regular partner. I really think someone else would have won that season if Melanie had never been partnered with Marko. Malece took advantage of Marko’s presence for one week and I’m hoping she can continue to improve.

• Michelle says:

Are you insane? Did you watch Melanie’s audition? Easily one of the best EVER in SYTYCD. If anything Melanie made Marko slightly better. They were a power couple because both were great on their own! But even better together. They carried each other.

• Miss Otis Regrets... says:

It’s the Cute Factor. She will end up lasting a lot longer than more worthy female dancers because of it, just watch.

18. waterbug says:

It was obvious that Nigel was looking for the opportunity to pair Malece with Alan. She is not really that special and Jasmine who got booted was a much better dancer. Will be glad when Malece and Jenna are gone.

19. Babybop says:

While I didn’t enjoy her in the tango last week (I felt she was much too clunky, and not smooth and sexy enough), I agree she shouldn’t have been cut. Alexis has not done well in any routine, regardless of her tapping ability. She should have been sent home, not Jasmine.

As for the rest of the night, the only two I enjoyed were the jazzy hip hop that Tucker and Jenna did and the hip hop routine that reminded me how freaking amazing Mariah is.

20. Demi says:

You guys have to watch the original version of Jenna and Tucker’s piece. When the choreographers, Keone and Mariel do it, it is absolute magic. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pcUlKO8df3A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DpcUlKO8df3A

21. Nlb555 says:

Alexis should have gone home. Carlos should have stayed last week. The judges were overly harsh on Alan. They overly praise Mariah.

• Eli says:

Seriously, they overly praise Mariah? Not Malece? Or Jenna? Or Fikshun? You must be watching a different show.

22. -A says:

This is a big “F you” to America for putting Jasmine M. in the bottom!

23. fiona says:

Gotta admit, I’m not a fan of Malese but with Marko there I just had to watch it twice, or three times!

(Ps they need an allstar performance with Mark, Marko, Cole, Kupuno, well… pretty much all my male favourites!)

24. Nunaya_Bidness says:

Jasmine should definitely have not been eliminated but the part that boggles my mind is that in his comments to Jasmine, Nigel said that the choreographers felt “she struggles with self-doubt as a dancer” (paraphrase) and told Alexis that the choreographers “were constantly having to give her the same note over and over”

So if that is the case, why not let Alexis go? I would think it would be easier to work with someone and help their confidence versus someone who has to be told things repeatedly. Or get rid of Jenna who was in the bottom 2 weeks in a row.

• Sookie says:

I couldn’t agree more! Maybe Jasmine had a little self doubt about doing a tango when she probably has never done one in her life! No let’s keep the dancer who doesn’t take direction instead!

• Sophie says:

Jenna wasn’t in the bottom last week – Mariah, Brittany, and Mackenzie were.

25. Marion says:

What on earth was Erin Andrews doing guest judging? DWTS hardly qualifies her for it, and I have the feeling that the only reason she was on was because Fox just wanted to plug next week’s All-Star Game. Erin seems like a lovely person, but she had nothing interesting to say.

Also, between the opening number, the intros, the explanation of the change of format, the announcement of who was in danger, and the three solos, it took almost twenty minutes to get to the first competitive routine. It felt like much longer. Please, PLEASE move the “who’s in danger” and the solos to the end of the episode. PLEASE.

26. BettyT says:

The Jenna & Tucker routine was done earlier in the day on the Ellen DeGeneres show and it was done much better.

27. Lily says:

Nigel threw Jasmine and Alan under the bus. I thought their routine was great. So therefore, I expect to see Alan in the B3 next week. Even from the poll here it’s obvious that will happen. Nigel speaks. Sheep follow.

28. KevyB says:

I am positively psychotic that Nigel called out Curtis (rightfully) for dancing too young, yet week after week that critique never gets thrown at Fik-Shun. This week he did dance a little more maturely, but we’re talking moving up from 12 to MAYBE 15 years old. Can we at least PRETEND to be fair here, Mr Lythgoe? Stop trying so hard to make him the winner.

29. nebraska says:

Why is it that every year it is always the black girlsa that get cut. So do you think they can’t dance? They got rid of the wrong gilr last night. In my opinion she was one of the best. She had beautiful lines. You also can tell when someone is going to get cut, they start giving them bad reviews.

• statistician says:

Last week it was not a black girl that got cut and in reality more white girls are cut because there are more white girls dancing because there are more white girls in the world. Nothing racial just numbers.

• waterbug says:

dancers of color are the favorites these season so i am not on board with this theory at the moment…

30. Muriel says:

Mariah seems like such a genuinely nice girl! She was bawling her eyes out when Jasmine got cut. I hope BluPrint won’t drag her down.. Don’t get me wrong, I love Bluprint in his own style but I don’t think Mariah will benefit as much with having him as a partner? Just my two cents..

31. reen says:

I thought it was a great show last night. The first four numbers were excellent (and better than the last three, IMHO). I seem to be in the minority, but I really enjoyed the King and Queen routine. I actually downloaded the FOX app so that I could do the 20-vote thing (I’m a total fan of this show, but not of speed dialing), and I had a hard time deciding –I ended up splitting between seven excellent dancers. Even though I really liked Jasmine, and thought her dances over the last few weeks were fantastic, I think the choreographers did her in. Nigel has been really emphasizing that element of their decision making. Great show last night. Totally agree with your recap about the plusses this week. (:

32. sarah says:

The judges should have kept Carlos and sent Jade home, he had to withdraw and even if he did not he was in the bottom twice so I am sure that he would have been sent home this week! Carlos could still be around!
    Of the 3 girls in the bottom I was glad Jasmine was sent home!
    This is my list of faves:
    Jasmin/Aaron

Hayley
    Alexis

Blu Print
    Curtis
    Paul

• Rain says:

No way is Paul in the bottom, have you heard the tweens screaming for him each week?! The rest of your list works for me. Let’s just hope the judges do what’s right and get rid of Blu Print and Alexis this time around. Both are great in their own style but have been terrible in anything else!

34. I am not happy the hip hop by new choreographers Keone and Mariel Madrid was from a year ago and used it on the show why couldn’t they come up with something new to present. Not happy

35. allie says:

I thought Mackenzie danced beautifully – the lifts were amazing. HOWEVER, I’m the type that cries every time a storyline is about terminal illness – way too much loss in my own family and this routine (or the way they danced it, I don’t know) left me totally dry eyed. It was a lovely dance but totally emotionless, imo.

• Ohmy says:

Don’t watch the description until after you watch the routine. You’ll find that you are dry eyed most of the time. “But it is about cancer, so it has to be moving, doesn’t it?”

• allie says:

good idea about when to watch the story…. totally agree about the cancer comment. If the choreographer is going to go that route it BETTER be good. This just seemed like a random story from a junior choreographer. Just about anything could have been said about that piece and it would have been the same.

• miri says:

I did not hear the story before watching the dance and it almost brought tears to my eyes due to the middle part where Paul shakes his head and looks like he is about to lose it and Mackenzie brought him back. Thus, I completely disagree that it was emotionless. I do think there should be less storylines about terminal illness on this show.

36. elizabeth says:

Loved the first 3 routines but everyone else was meh.

Regarding Tucker and Jenna… I totally agree in the “not sure how I felt about that routine” – something just felt off!
    But, check out the choreographers performing the routine and WOW!! So much better. Not sure what it was, but Tucker and Jenna just didn’t get it. What a fabulous routine when done well.

37. Noah Coleman says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Why did they send Jasmine home instead of Alexis?!! She was one of the best on there; She just had a bad routine. But did they take into account her previous performances? I can’t believe they did that! And what was America thinking by putting her in the bottom in the first place???!!!!

38. Leela says:

I was never in the Melanie camp and I don’t understand the praise of her, Sasha was far more accomplished. All Melanie did all season was pose, get carried around the stage, and dance in a clunky manner (my op and I’m sticking to it). I’m not saying Malece is my favorite dancer this year, but she is adorable and was simply lovely this week. Love, love, love Jasmine and Aaron.

• MC says:

You said a mouthful and ITA with you, especially in regard to Sasha and Melanie. I sometimes imagine Marko and Sasha together as partners for that whole season. Now that would have been amazing! Marko is so humble and underrated. He clearly will have a great career in dance. I maintain that Marko elevated Melanie (or the perception of Melanie) to a level she will not achieve in her future dancing. Finally, “Misty Blue” is one of my top five favorite dances ever on this show. Twitch and Sasha both killed that one.

39. Michelle says:

Pretty sure I threw up a little when they compared Maleace to Melanie!! I’m sorry but HECK NO! She is NO where near as powerful physically or emotionally. Yes Marko made her better but Melanie did not need anyone to make her emote or to dance at a high level. The judges truly lost their minds in that moment!

40. Jack says:

Honestly thought the whole night’s choreography was boring. This season hasn’t had a “moment” yet. Not even mini-moments of good/great choreography. No creativity. Thought Sonya’s was best, but not her best. Is it the dancers?

41. A says:

One animator gone, one to go.
    -A

42. SpobyFan#1 says:

I agree with Michael (author of this article) if another one of my favorites gets cut I’m writing a very LONG and THOROUGH tweet to Nigel Lythgoe!

43. Pong says:

Love that Keone and Mari are on the show but that choreography was weak. (Saw that when it first came out on YT and wasn’t impressed, they could do better). They should have gotten some choreography from Choreo Cookies and my vote goes to their Blindfolded routine in Body Rock 2010.

And Malece girl, we don’t get the hype. You’re lucky you were paired with Marko. Your solos will always define you and sorry to say they’ve always been weak. #callmeabullywhatever

As for Jasmine M. I love Jasmine M and Alan, but she didn’t impress me with their tango last week. She was so awkard with her tango “lines”, whatever you call them. She was lucky with Alan in that routine. He brought it effortlessly.

So far, I am loving the Paul & Mackenzie pairing…hip hop will be the deal breaker for me.
    Fik-shun is losing me. Drop those shoulders, boy!

And how come the routines are getting less and less exciting?
    What is going on?

PS. I seriously want Janet Jackson to be a guest judge!

44. Aki says:

Every week I become more and more enamored with Paul, and it’s not just because he’s really really good looking. I think people have forgotten that he’s won SYTYCD before in another country. And I think they’re trying to downplay it purposely by not mentioning it on the show in order to make it seem like some big surprise when he gets farther than anyone anticipated. The fact of the matter is, Paul is bringing it every week and is showing such a fantastic range in the meantime. At this point, unless there’s some kind of major trip up, I’d say there’s a very good chance he will end up in the top three on the guys’ side. It would be rad if he won the whole thing, seeing as he’s not a pre-ordained favorite.

• miri says:

This, except the really good looking part. I completely forgot he was a latin ballroom dance and had to look back to his profile to remember.

45. Grace says:

I’m mad about Aaron. That’s all.

46. Josie N says:

I think Jasmine Harper embodies the love on dance in her smile, her moves and the joy that just shines from her. She is already a winner. I do hope they have the sense not to make a Cyrus reunion for the sake of ratings…..it will be so unnecessary and absolutely zilch class if they do. Let her dance she obviously doesn’t need an ex-boyfriend tangling up her moves.

47. john Fisher says:

I’m glad America woke up this past week and realized Makenzie is the best girl dancer on the show.

48. Birgit says:

You should take part in a contest for one of the most useful websites on the net.
    I most certainly will recommend this site!

49. Hey very nice site!! Guy .. Excellent .. Wonderful
    .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?
    I’m satisfied to seek out so many useful information right here within the post, we’d like
    develop extra strategies on this regard,
    thanks for sharing. . . . . .