Scoop: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Scores Put Pilot Commitment From Fox

Get More: Pilots

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen FoxHigh-concept comic-book adaptations: They’re not just for the big screen anymore.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, based on Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s classic graphic novel, has scored a put pilot commitment from Fox. (“Put pilot” status means the network will pay a penalty if it never airs, so…it’s almost as sure a bet as Secretariat in the Belmont Stakes.)

RELATED | Comic-Con Burning Qs: Big Bang Theory Cast MIA? Bones‘ Emily Deschanel Attending After All?

The official logline for the live-action project, from Twentieth Century Fox Television, reads as follows: “A drama series based on Alan Moore’s critically and commercially successful graphic novel series about a group of Victorian-age literary characters, including Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, who team up to fight a common enemy.”

RELATED | Ronald D. Moore’s Outlander Series Casts Scotsman Sam Heughan as Jamie Fraser

Michael Green, previously a showrunner on Kings, Heroes and The River, will serve as writer/executive producer/showrunner. Erwin Stoff (Kings, The Matrix) is also executive producing.

Coincidentally, Showtime has a somewhat similar series in development, Penny Dreadful (from Sam Mendes and John Logan), that will follow characters such as Dorian Gray, Van Helsing and Frankenstein in Victorian London.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen also spawned a big-screen adaptation, starring Sean Connery and Peta Wilson, in 2003.

Excited to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on your TV screen? Any early/brilliant casting ideas? Sound off below!

Comments (19)

• O.o

Interesting, to say the least.

Comment by Mare – July 9, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always thought this property would work better as a series than as a film. Definitely excited to see what they come up with.

Comment by wordsmith – July 9, 2013 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • o.O wow. didn’t see it coming.

Comment by Michael Sacal – July 9, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 1. Will they adapt the whole thing? Even the volume that was a musical?
    2. Please say that it will be better than the crapper of a movie.

Comment by Regal – July 9, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree about the movie being crappy and I really hope they don’t give Shane West a part in this.His bad acting ruined that movie and Nikita.

Comment by Pink – July 10, 2013 03:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved the film version!
    I hope they make Mina Harker into a vampire, that was a nice touch that made the film better than the comic in one aspect.

Comment by Cherry – July 9, 2013 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Frankly Peta Wilson/Mina Harker was the only good thing about the film.

Comment by Eli – July 10, 2013 05:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t imagine Alan Moore will be too pleased…or has he changed his mind about adaptions? Cautiously optimistic.

Comment by Espy – July 9, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just going to comment that Alan Moore wasn’t going to like this. He has disliked all of the adaptations so far.

Comment by Andy – July 9, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really lived Mina as a vampire too. I’m excited to see what they do with a series!

Comment by Mikaylah – July 9, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmm,Comics and such making a big comeback.Kinda surprised we didn’t hear a peep about it in the works.

Comment by Shaun – July 9, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this. Love that it is a put pilot. Wish all pilots where. Would like to see all the pilots made last season!

Comment by jackie budde – July 9, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sweetness I can’t believe i haven’t heard anything about this. it totally came out of nowhere. can’t wait to see what they do with it.

Comment by James D – July 9, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mr. Green also wrote the dreadful Green Lantern movie. Yea, I’m not going to get excited about this! Love the idea to bring it to TV. I also trust Mr. Mendes track record a little more.

Comment by what! – July 9, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WOOT! I love the movie. I’ll take both prospective series ASAP!

Comment by Danielle H. – July 9, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • alan moore always give permision for movie/series adaptations with the agreement that his name never comes up even in promo, and his whatever salary to the artist of the comic book… as for the lxg please no!! it;s a bad idea!!! the success of the comic book was not cause there were a bunch of ”free copyright monsters” but there was a very sick side to these characters from alan moore… captain nemo is a misogynist and a racist! i loved the comic book cause moore was a sadist and want6ed to create a mini universe where monsters are incredible and magical and deadly and bloody hilarious funny!!! IF the pilot is good then we can have hope , otherwise good try! next time try hbo

Comment by george tourette (@georgethebeast) – July 9, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but I see a few problems.

First it’s on Fox, which means network standards not cable; and for me personally Fox hasn’t had the greatest track record for giving shows I enjoy a chance.
    Secondly, Michael Green also hasn’t produced quality material lately ie: The River & Green Lantern.
    Thirdly, because this isn’t original material, comparisons will be made and expectations on it will be significantly higher.

Even so, this type of fiction is exactly what I enjoy and I wish it all the best; but I’m just not getting my hopes to high until I see the pilot.

Comment by Ty – July 10, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If they get the casting right then sure I’ll check it out!

Comment by EveatEden – July 11, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post