Big Brother 15 Premiere Recap: A Little Twisted

Get More: Recaps

big-brother-s15-premiereIf you’ve ever watched a Big Brother season premiere, you know the drill. In the course of one hour, houseguests are introduced, champagne is popped and the Diary Room trash talk starts flowing freely.

This Wednesday’s premiere, though, introduced a few new rules (and contestants) that could turn BB‘s tried-and-true formula on its head.

MEET & GREET | Before the 16 men and women competing for $500,000 get their new digs, we meet them in all their well-rehearsed glory (though I’m sending a heap of imaginary money to whomever nixed the cheesy one-liners that past contestants would say upon getting their house keys. Thank you for sparing us the secondhand embarrassment!).

RELATEDBig Brother: 6 Big Wishes for Season 15

Among this year’s crop are lifeguard David, whose affinity for his own pecs is all too disturbing; college professor Andy, who tops my list of “People That Should Play Jesse Tyler Ferguson If His Life Becomes A Movie;” and yoga instructor Elissa, whose relation to former champ Rachel Reilly wasn’t lost on… well, anyone.

DELIVERING A TWIST | Ultimately, it’s 23-year-old pizza delivery guy McCrae who outlasts them all in an endurance-based Head of Household competition, clinging for dear life onto a fake popsicle. But as Julie Chen is quick to point out, the HOH reign won’t be quite so luxurious this year. Each week, America will vote for a Big Brother MVP: a contestant who shows off the best gameplay. As always, the HOH will nominate two people for eviction, but the MVP can nominate a third — and do so anonymously. (Cue the Psycho shrieking violins.)

But by the end of the hour, who’s already got a target on his or her back? In my humble opinion, any or all of these newcomers (who fit some BB stereotypes quite well) could be in the line of fire:

THE MASTER MANIPULATOR | Jeremy, boat shop associate: He lands summer-long immunity from the dreaded “have-not” status even before the season’s first hour is over, and his athleticism is quite threatening. Plus, in just one episode, Jeremy manages to form two different alliances. “This will go well for him!” said no one ever.

THE OVERACHIEVER | Jessie, unemployed: Just how many times does Jessie call herself pretty and athletic? I lost count, but hey, maybe I’m being too hard on the girl. After all, she was captain of the cheerleading squad… in junior high.

THE UNDERDOG | Aaryn, college student: The last woman standing in tonight’s tough endurance comp, Aaryn proves herself a physical threat and obvious Achilles heel to the men of the house.

Now it’s your turn. What do you think of the MVP’s special power? Who was an early standout… and who doesn’t stand a chance? Hit the comments.

Tags: ,

Comments (47)

• More than anything I’m disappointed that CBS hasn’t sprung for new cameras yet. I mean, it’s 2013 and they’re still broadcasting Big Brother in Standard Def?

Comment by Joe – June 26, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Completely agree. Why does this show not fit my tv? Standard cameras must be harder to come by than hd by now, yes? As Liz Lemon would say: Blerg.

Comment by Yamas – June 27, 2013 02:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessie seemed like a good person and she is def hot but I didn’t like her at all when she started talking. I like Kaitlin, Aaryn and Howard the most so far.

Comment by crog – June 26, 2013 07:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we’ll all survive with bb being broadcast in just standard def. i love the show, but it’s a reality show and I don’t need to see it in high def

Comment by Rob – June 26, 2013 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly.Every show doesn’t need to be in high def

Comment by Keith – June 26, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But it makes no sense to keep the show looking outdated which it does! I’m sure CBS has plenty of HD cameras so it isn’t a cost issue!!

Comment by Jason – June 26, 2013 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m sure it is a cost issue, and technical issue, and probably a logistical issue too – there are A LOT of cameras in that house.

Comment by Melanie – June 26, 2013 09:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • The whole reason this show runs every summer is that it’s so cheap. The winner only gets a half-mil, they aren’t allowed to sing so that the show doesn’t have to pay for rights to songs–everything about the show is cheap.

Comment by Martoukian – June 26, 2013 11:49 PM PDT
          • I agree – logistics nightmare considering there are 40+ (?) mounted cameras in and around the BB house. Strange though, I remember BBAD on SHO2 being in HD.

Comment by forrest – June 27, 2013 01:38 PM PDT
    • I do not need to see everyone’s skin problems in HD. SD is plenty bad enough.

Comment by Patty (@phouse1964) – June 27, 2013 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they said that it would take to many hi def cameras and that would cost a fortune

Comment by John Moshier – June 27, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is in SD because of the live feeds. Streaming in HD would be a nightmare. 40+ cameras, 24 hours, variable internet users, etc.

Comment by Matt – July 8, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • At least widescreen would be nice

Comment by Oscar – June 26, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved the humor in this article. Haha Big Brother is such a cheesy show. I’ll keep watching to make fun of it (even though hate watching was sooooo last year).

Comment by Austin – June 26, 2013 08:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jessie completely drives me nuts!! If I hear her say she is pretty in the diary room or when talking with houseguests again, I will lose it! Elissa needs to go. I don’t need to see another Rachel. I like McCrae, and how the houseguests think he is a genius and not a pizza delivery dude. I like Andy and Aaryn. What is up with David’s swoopy hair. It is like being around the ocean caused his hair to start making waves like the ocean. : ) Ginamarie was a bit loud and overbearing, but maybe it was just the first night and she was nervous? We shall see. I love Big Brother!

Comment by katzen – June 26, 2013 08:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you don’t know that Elissa is anything like Rachel just because their sisters. I am not like my sisters don’t judge till you listen!

Comment by eve – June 26, 2013 09:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How can you say they aren’t alike? In this case, she has identical mannerisms. She will mot likely be as annoying as Rachel was. I already see alt of Rachel on BB after Dark.

Comment by Jennifer Bentz Corridon – June 26, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I surprisingly didn’t mind Elissa but Jessie needs to go. I can’t handle her fawning all over herself all summer. NEWSFLASH: you’re an average looking girl in a house full of models and one annoying chick from Staten Island. she’a not as good looking as Aaryn or some of the other girls.

Comment by Elyse – June 27, 2013 01:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AGREED. Jessie is annoying.

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – June 27, 2013 06:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The MVP twist is going to ruin the show. Say bye bye to a relevant HOH. Thanks big brother

Comment by Zaphod – June 26, 2013 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is not good that you move to TVN now want get to watch after dark want be able to judge what is happening since you don’t show enough on the show to see what is going on and what you do show is miss leading so BAD!!!!!! Not Happy!

Comment by eve – June 26, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They said BBA was not going to be censor on TVN but it was so what is up with that ??So much better when it was on sho2

Comment by Gary – June 27, 2013 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like Jeremy. He’s playing too big of a game: two alliances, physical threat, plus everyone is jealous of his never-not card (which hopefully sends him home). He’s going to get noticed and people aren’t going to like him. Reminds me of Rachel

Comment by Logan – June 26, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And doesn’t he look familiar? Like another Big Brother House guest from past?

Comment by CJ – June 27, 2013 09:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot stand ginamarie!!
    I like nick, Andy and aaryn.
    I don’t like the lifeguard David.
    I also feel like the guys are more worried about banging the girls.

Comment by Andrea – June 26, 2013 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTH TVGN is censoring the house guests curse words

Comment by Steven j – June 26, 2013 09:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TVGN censoring content :(

Comment by Steven j – June 26, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • About a year and a half ago, I sent CBS a request for there to be 3 nominees per week. I was initally happy to hear that this would happen, but the MVP twist kind of ruins it. “America’s voting” is more like CBS chosing.

The HOH should be allowed to nominate all 3 houseguest. If they are able to pull themselves off the block, then that week should have 2 nominees.

If someone else pulls them off then the HOH makes a replacement.

Comment by 1qaz2wsx – June 26, 2013 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its easy to say they might not be anything alike. Me and my brother look alike and have the same mannerisms but are completly diffrent personalities. Twins who are identical have same mannerisms but have diffrent personalities. Im sorry but elisse or whatever her name is could be much nicer then rachel was. She can be calmer and less combative also. I know im older then my brother he is quicker to temper. He doesn’t let anything go and never forgives and im not like that at all. having same mannerisms comes from growing up together but doesnt make u alike.

Comment by stephen – June 26, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will no longer be watching big brother. Not only is it censored on after dark it is also censored on the live feeds. There must be a huge delay so how is this called live feeds? Still some adult language is getting through… Call your cable provider and complain about the bad language on regular cable. Maybe they will drop tvgn. Also go to four chan and ask them to help hold CBS accountable

Comment by Sam – June 26, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s TVGN

Comment by Chablis – June 27, 2013 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could the gay guy be anymore of a stereotype and it is just me or did he look like the one gay dude from modern family

Comment by Sam Mcgreen – June 27, 2013 12:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hence this line in the recap “college professor Andy, who tops my list of “People That Should Play Jesse Tyler Ferguson If His Life Becomes A Movie;”

Comment by K2 – June 27, 2013 04:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed! Kaitlyn also strongly resembles Katy Perry, GinaMarie looks and sounds like Jenna marbles, and they mentioned themselves that (I forget his name) looks like the guy from twilight. Interesting…

Comment by JT – June 27, 2013 04:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope you’re not actually suggesting someone on a reality show should change their personality just because you don’t like the “type” of gay that they are. Please find something more original to complain about. Or go out and convince “non-stereotypical gays” to compete on Big Brother.

Comment by Pam – June 27, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The women are hellacious, Rachel;s sister after all the applicants applying makes me very angry hope she leaves fast. The only man I think who has some sense is the ZZ Top bearded rail road man! Showing live feeds on TV Guide Network just to get that buy out going for more eyeballs is stupid, NO ONE wants censorship for those feeds, cancel after dark period then!

Comment by DavidSask – June 27, 2013 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They sure cast a few really dumb ones this year (Jesse, David, GinaMarie). This feels like its going to be a completely show this season. Lets just hope it does fall into season 9 territory.

Comment by Christina – June 27, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be tuning out this season. Too young and didn’t like one of them. Jeremy is horribly vapid and if I have to listen to him all summer, I’ll throw something at my husband’s tv and that won’t be good. Anyone who can’t tell that chick is Rachel’s sister must never have watched it. She’s prettier but still looks like her. I’ll be watching Melissa & Joey and Babby Daddy instead of this garbage.

Comment by GS – June 27, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the third nominee should be the first one out of the HOH competition. This would eliminate all voting & choosing, and make HOH game more competitive.

Comment by jr – June 27, 2013 08:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree it would make the game more interesting!

Comment by Karen – June 27, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the recap, a storm knocked my electricity out. I wonder how long it will be before someone uses the MVP power on themselves? Nominating themselves to throw off suspicion, and probably getting kicked out?

Comment by Leah – June 27, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I sure hope surfer David does not last long. I don’t think I could look at his hair for 3 whole months! And Jessie….You are not all that !

Comment by Spikenalabama – June 27, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to give this season a chance, but I find the majority of the cast very annoying and literally hard to watch. This would have been my 7th year of a “summer” tradition. Usually I’m able to find at least one person in the cast interesting; most of the time there are two or three actually. Then, as the season progresses, I usually get much more interested as “true” personalities come out. But this season doesn’t have any depth. The cast seems boring and very stereotypical. Really CBS, after going through ALL of the applications for the show these are the individuals you came up with? It looks like you were screening the apps to fit the stereotypes you’d like to pander to with commercials, merchandise and whatnot. I guess I’m not in your demographic anymore. Time to find a new show.

Comment by Riley – June 27, 2013 11:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ginger Andy has a nice open personality. I hope he gets a little David booty, put those pecs to work. I like that David shows off his body so much, his white crack is hot. If he’d just keep his hands out of his hair and his mouth shut he’d be average eye candy. But maybe Andy will use his hair to clean up. By the way, my GayDar says 2 others are BI, for sure. Let the bromance begin! Why is the screamer chick calling the dogs, her scream is awful! Kisses BB fans. Alan

Comment by Alan – June 27, 2013 11:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • bay nick

Comment by mom – July 12, 2013 04:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i dont think they should get rid of jeremy lookat aaryn she rude and mouthy and has no respect for anyone

Comment by gale – July 18, 2013 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post