The Veronica Mars Movie: Deputy Leo Is On Duty

Get More: Casting News

Veronica MArs Movie Max GreenfieldDeputy Leo is patrolling once more.

As long suspected, New Girl star Max Greenfield will return for the Veronica Mars movie, the actor recently confirmed to Gold Derby.

RELATED | Veronica Mars Movie Spoilers — Including Veronica’s New BF and Who Won’t Be Back

Fans will remember Greenfield as the young P.I.’s one-time love interest and a member of the sheriff’s department.

“I will be there [for the movie]. So will Deputy Leo. I’m really excited about it,” he told the site during a video chat. “It’s one of those few occasions where you’re going to work on something — I think I’m going down to work for a day — where everybody is just so excited to be there, everybody is going to be going full-force on this project. It’s going to be a fun reunion. You really want to go in there and do some really solid work, because obviously people put up their own money to see this.”

Greenfield joins a cast that already includes former series regulars Kristen BellEnrico Colantoni, Jason Dohring, Percy Daggs III, Chris Lowell, Tina Majorino, Francis Capra and Ryan Hansen.

Also reprising their roles from the original series are Krysten Ritter (as Gia Goodman), Christine Lakin (Susan Knight), Amanda Noret (Madison Sinclair), Sam Huntington (Luke Haldeman), Brandon Hillock (Deputy Sacks), Kevin Sheridan (Sean Friedrich) and Jonathan Chesner (Corny).

Production on the film began this week in Los Angeles.

Comments (41)

• I’ve been re-watching Veronica Mars with my girlfriend (she’s a first time watcher) and completely forgot he was in this! No wonder why I found his face so familiar looking over on New Girl. Mystery solved!

Comment by Esaul – June 19, 2013 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve been introducing my thirteen-year-old daughter to VM the last few weeks. We’re both thrilled to hear this – we heart Deputy Leo. :D

Comment by Annie – June 19, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. I liked him with Veronica, wish they had dated longer. We need Vinnie Van Lowe!!

Comment by lorna – June 19, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes and yes!!!! I always wanted her to end up with Leo.

Comment by Krystan – June 19, 2013 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • love leo. so excited to see him again.

Comment by Patti – June 19, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In “former series regulars” Ryan Hansen was forgotten.. just saying.

Comment by Courtney – June 19, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New Girl, Shmoo Girl – he will always be Deputy Leo to me.

Comment by Emily sutton – June 19, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! It was weird seeing sweet Leo being d-bag Schmidt during the first few episodes of “New Girl.”

Comment by Jenn – June 19, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did anyone ever confirmation that Vinnie van Lowe (aka Ken Marino) was coming back or were those just rumors?

Comment by jess k – June 19, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No confirmation that I’ve seen. And he hasn’t been listed by Rob in any of the emails, but he could just be keeping some close to the chest…

Comment by Caitlin – June 19, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s the only one left that I would be disappointed if he wasn’t in it.

Comment by Elizabeth – June 19, 2013 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!! Now I just need to hear something on Ken and I will be a very happy lady.

Comment by Caitlin – June 19, 2013 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Liz – June 19, 2013 01:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope they don’t add in any on his New Girl schtick in the movie. He was a nice side character and I hope they don’t try to enlarge his part just because Max Greenfield is winning awards.

Comment by Steven – June 19, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think they’re going to be able to do that since he said he’s only going to work for a day.

Comment by JLK – June 19, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! That’s where I know him from. I liked him on VM – how come I hate him so much on NG? From role to role, actors bring some of their own characteristics – whether they’re aware of it or not. I don’t see any similarities here. Is Max Greenfield that good an actor?

Comment by MLO – June 19, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. His VM character was good, and his New Girl one stinks. That’s what it is.

Comment by Alex – June 19, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So basically the entire cast is IN for the movie. SHOCKING

Comment by Nicolas – June 19, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Nicolas – We’re still waiting on Vinnie van Lowe.

Comment by Simon Jester – June 19, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Deputy Leo!!!! He’s delightful.

Comment by mia – June 19, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Could not be more excited for this movie BUT I really hope there’s a fitting plot somewhere among this VM reunion. To be honest, I’d gladly forego the inclusion of some peripheral characters if it was going to serve the story better. Basically I want a great movie on a par with how good the show was. If I wanted nostalgia I’d just pop the DVDs in

Comment by DG – June 19, 2013 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m glad that I am not the only one to be concerned about this. How will the writers fit everyone into a two-hour movie without compromising the story?

Comment by SAM – June 20, 2013 06:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • its a school reunion so almost all the returning characters are tied together by that, theres going to be a crime so thats how leo fits in and veronica cant be in town without visiting her dad; there you go almost all the returning characters can be justified by 5 seconds of thought.

Comment by Alan – June 20, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course he was gonna be in it! He’s got a higher profile name now after New Girl, it’d be stupid not to include him. I’m so happy all the cast is coming back and i hope for Vinnie Van Lowe too!

Comment by Kay – June 19, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It probably wouldn’t be because they didn’t want him, if he weren’t included. Many actors refuse to go back to their “humble” beginnings, or want too much money. I think it’s indicative of what amazing people the cast of VM are, as well as how much they love the show, that they are all returning.

Comment by Hannah – June 19, 2013 06:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray! I love deputy Leo. I hope we get to see him with a happy ending.

Comment by Mandy – June 19, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Teddy Dunn (Duncan), his daughter lily, Ken Marino (Vinnie Van Lowe), and Alyson Hannigan? I am so excited!

Comment by Courtney L – June 19, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where are Amanda Seyfried, Harry Hamlin and Lisa Rinna???

Comment by VM FAN – June 19, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing! I doubt Amanda Seyfried will be back since her career has taken off but come on Harry Hamlin and Lisa Rinna have no excuse!

Comment by Courtney L – June 19, 2013 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Harry Hamlin was killed in VM so I doubt he’ll be back and Lisa Rinna’s character is supposedly dead too. I can see Rinna coming back if it turns out she faked her death, but I don’t think they’ll go that route and Rob Thomas has stated its very unlikely this movie will feature any ghosts from the show.

Comment by Elisha – June 19, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I need to go rewatch the show! I completely forgot they killed Harry Hamlin off and the thing with Lisa Rinna. I understand the ghost thing but Lilly was a huge part of the show and it would make sense to have a flashback to her and Veronica discussing something if Amanda Seyfried would come back.

Comment by Courtney L – June 19, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Schmitty! He was great as Leo and love him in New Girl. All the Veronica Mars scoops are making me excited to see the final product. Cannot wait!

Comment by Gem – June 19, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Courtney L, agreed!

Where is Duncan/Teddy Dunn? He was a huge part of the series and its origin story – why is he missing? Why no mention one way or the other?

one more question… why!

Comment by Will – June 19, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • since duncan storyline end with him on the run out of the country, my guess they want to keep his apperance a secert.

Comment by Paul8148 – June 19, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he isnt in it because there is nothing left for the character; theres a reason he was written out only part of the way through the second season, the writers said it themselves they had nothing more for the character.

Comment by Alan – June 20, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!

Comment by Mari – June 19, 2013 10:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No one interested to see if Michael Muhney will be back as Sheriff Lamb?

Comment by mia – June 20, 2013 01:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, since he died he probably won’t be back. Would be interesting, though. Ghost sheriff on the loose in Neptune.

Comment by Danny – June 20, 2013 02:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously, Leighton Meester can’t be so busy that she can’t squeeze in a little more Carrie Bishop! We need to see her and Madison Sinclair in the same scene!

Comment by Dizzle – June 20, 2013 08:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post