Community Creator Dan Harmon Calls Season 4 an 'Unflattering' Impression of His Work

Dan Harmon Slams Community Season 4Never one to mince words, Community creator Dan Harmon has spoken out for the first time after screening the cult comedy’s polarizing Season 4 — which, for the uninitiated, moved ahead without his specific brand of “genius.”

The returning showrunner revealed during his latest Harmontown podcast that he’d finally gotten around to watching his creation’s latest run. And…? “I guess I already knew this, but apparently I’m a genius,” he shared. “I think I feel pretty comfortable in expressing that [Season 4] wasn’t my cup of tea.

“It’s not somebody doing what they do,” he explained, referring to his one-off replacements Moses Port and David Guarascio. “It’s very much like an impression — an unflattering one. It’s 13 episodes of people doing, ‘Derpy, derpy, der, I’m Dan Harmon, der.'”

RELATED | NBC Fall Schedule: Parenthood, Revolution on the Move, Community Warms the Bench

Conceding that his fill-ins simply “didn’t know what they were getting themselves into,” Harmon mused: “They went to Comic-Con, saw what was going on… and went, ‘F–k.'” Still, he noted, “They tried their best.”

UPDATE: After fielding some backlash for his candor — because this is the Internet, after all — Harmon tweeted this mini mea culpa:

Harmon recently spoke to E! Online about his impending plans to binge-watch Season 4, saying that whatever the outcome, he wouldn’t “be a jerk about it.

“I know there were some great writers working on that show who bled with me for Seasons 1, 2 and 3,” he added. “The worst thing I can do is fart in their direction at all.”

Do you agree with Harmon’s take on Season 4? Are you eager to see what he return to the helm does for Greendale?

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News

1. LaVelle says:

I’m sorry…but what an arrogant piece of sh**

• Elly says:

He totally is, but to be fair, he’s right. Season 4 had better emotional depth but wasn’t nearly as funny (no fault to the actors.) they should have never chose Chevy over Dan. He’s like the Brett Ratner of TV-he’s gross but you deal with it.

• wordsmith says:

I don’t know that Brett Ratner has the talent to back up his mouth. I’d say Harmon is more like the Aaron Sorkin of comedy.

• Josh says:

Yeah Harmon has talent. He’s a huge d-bag but a talented one.

• Alan says:

having talent shouldnt give him a pass for being a horrible person; hell being a horrible person is why he was sacked in the first place so you would think he would have learned his lesson by now.

• M3rc Nate says:

Im glad someone else saw what i saw. It was annoying always hearing “Season 4 sucks! im not watching anymore! Get harmon back!” ….i didnt notice a HUGE difference, except what you said, there was way more emotional depth and character growth (which i really liked) but less big LOL moments and more just kinda lightly chuckle every once in a while.

• Christy says:

I do despise his lack of tact and choice of analogies (like the rape thing people are discussing…dude, c’mon.) but he really is right. I tried watching about half of season 4 (both the first few episodes and then the last few episodes) and it was like watching fan fiction.

Let’s hope his caustic personality translates into an excellent season 5. Chris McKenna is back too, so even if Dan’s bitterness somehow eats away at his brain and ruins his ability to make a good show, we still have hope in Chris.

• Topaz says:

I think a lot of the talk about what he said has misrepresented the point he was actually making. He in fact said that the new writers took on an unwinnable task in trying to emulate another writer and blamed the studio for thinking that writers could ever be interchangeable. He made it clear he appreciated that the new team even tried to recreate what he did. He also said that if they’d just run completely roughshod over his work and done their own thing, instead of trying to stay true to the original tone of the show, they would have succeeded and he’d never have got Community back. He phrased it clumsily because he felt emotional about it, but I actually think he was pretty clear that he wasn’t insulting other writers.

As for the idea of him being a horrible person – I don’t think he is. I think he’s a very neurotic person who is incredibly single-minded about his work, and that makes him seem tactless sometimes. But really, I watched season 4 and all the way through it I thought “if Dan Harmon is watching this it must be tearing at his soul.” So I can’t then condemn him because he reacted in exactly the way I expected him to. We got the show we got because he feels so incredibly strongly about the work he wants to do and fought tooth and nail every week with Sony and NBC to realise his vision. I’m not going to complain and criticise him ever time I get a glimpse of what that actually means.

• Jack says:

Yeah, it must suck to create something that your fans love, then have it ripped from you because Chevy Chase is insane, then see it crapped on for a season of suck. Yeah, Dan is a jerk. Rip them to shreds Dan!

• Brooke says:

By Dan’s own admission, he was not the easiest person for his bosses to work with. Not even Dan tried to lay all the blame at Chevy’s feet.

• pete says:

yeah and this is going to make it even harder to work with him, he is so full of himself, its ridiculous. How can you just go and crap on people’s hard work like this, nothing they did was ever going to live up to the genius he thinks he is. Maybe if he didnt bitch and moan all the time about network execs he would have been there for season 4

• ajintexas says:

And people act like Chevy Chase telling this guy off was all Chevy’s fault. He was simply the one guy that wasn’t going to put up with this guy’s enormous ego.

• Brooke says:

Well, Chevy Chase has always been notoriously difficult, too. I’m shocked that the two of them working together worked as long as it actually did.

• ajintexas says:

This guy was just born an a**hole. I can’t imagine many people actually like him, but instead tolerate him because they are forced to. The whole Checy Chase thing, where people idiotically took Dan Harmons side, was nothing more than an actual adult standing up to this arrogant jerk and telling him where he can shove his “genius show” and it’s middling ratings. I don’t think season 4 was any bit of a departure from what he put out in the past. It had a diabolical Chang, a paintball type episode, the timelines, an alternate reality type episode (muppets). They did the same things Dan Harmon did and rehashed them just like he did every season. I think it’s more than a bit arrogant to call yourself a genious when you basically make the same episodes over and over each year and lack any real new material. The ratings prove it too.

• Michelle says:

The whole point of his comment was that season 4 was putting in the community framework but there was no substance. I was a faithful watcher of the season and it just wasn’t the same. The last few episodes were good, possibly because of the absense of Chevy.

If you are going to mock Dan Harmon, I suggest you should learn to spell ‘Genius’ correctly.

• ajintexas says:

It was a typo. You know on a keyboard the I and O are just right there next to each other. Sometimes when you hit said I, you clip the O and don’t notice. I don’t know what’s worse, this idiot claiming he is the “genius” behind a show that is hardly watched, or a person that trolls internet comments to correct typos. Both are pretty pathetic. Genius.

• Jeff says:

Michelle’s right, season four was noticeably off, but you wouldn’t know that since you don’t watch the show. Why would you since you don’t like it? That makes you the troll, and pathetic as well.

2. Et al. says:

He’s right. I’m kinda surprised he said it – but he’s right. Also, I hope the rumors of him doing DVD commentary on those episodes are true.

• Ace says:

I agree! I think that his description of this season is entirely fair. I remember in the Halloween episode where Abed said, “Where’s the TV?” and I just thought, they’re trying to make these things… like Dan Harmon would have done them… but it’s not quite right. I enjoyed this season in parts, but it did still lack a certain something. (For instance, I much prefer the Pillows vs. Blankets documentary / the Greendale commercial documentary to the Changnesia documentary). There were some good moments (Abed / Troy body swap) but a lot felt weird to me.

He could have been more eloquent, but it’s Dan Harmon. I don’t expect him to be eloquent, I expect him to make Community awesome.

• Topaz says:

For me it was Abed’s “it’s really long, and I should know, I sat through The Tree of Life” line, which I think was around the 3rd or 4th episode that confirmed to me the writers just didn’t get it. It was such a random pop culture reference, and so un-Abed that he would ever think anything was too long. The actor just threw it off because he seemed embarrassed by the line himself and didn’t know how to deliver it. It was a hacky gag that wasn’t true to the character at all. I cringed. I don’t know if the new episodes will be as good as season 2 and 3, but at least they’ll have some sort of coherence and integrity. We can at least hope for that.

3. Kris says:

He kind of DOES seem like a jerk, though…

• Bryce says:

This makes me pretty mad. Season 4 held up for me and you could tell the entire cast and crew was doing their best to make a quality show. It’s kind of a slap in the face for him to say these things. Besides, it progressed the narrative and got rid of Chevy Chase. Harmon should be happy that for that alone.
      Plus, watch the Troy/Abed body switching episode and try and tell me that season four wasn’t at least good. That episode was among the best of the series’ alone.

• Alan says:

he is an ass, its why he was sacked in the first place. if i acted like this idiot in my ordinary job i would be fired before i could finish my first sentence but because he has some talent we get tons of people lining up to justify and back up his reprehensible behaviour.

4. sara says:

I liked when he referred to Season 4 as something akin to watching his family being raped and how that was liberating. Lovely guy.

• Cecily says:

Yeah, the rape comment did me in. I felt like throwing up. I am a Community fan from episode 1 (which I watched when it aired!) and I don’t know if I can support this awful person any more. I was so looking forward to more episodes, too. :(

• canadian ninja says:

Yeah, he said some blunt and insensitive things. But everyone screws up and this is how he will tend screw up probably because he is a comedy writer and filters are a tricky thing.

But that doesn’t make him an “awful person”. Just a bit of a dick.

• Pokey Reese says:

I hate to defend Harmon in a situation like this but I am going to do that just a tad. While it is insensitive to joke about something as serious as rape, very very insensitive, that’s just Dan Harmon. If you have been watching Community since its inception as you say you did, you ought to know that he has a dark humor. I thought most of his comments were actually funny simply on their premise but the rape comment crossed the line a bit. But, again, that’s Harmon. If you draw a line, he will cross just for the sake of crossing it. I am not condoning his comments, but you can’t say that they are the least bit surprising and I can’t say that they change my opinion of him. He is who he is, and he’s been this way from the beginning.

• flutiefan says:

if he said that (and i believe he did, i just didn’t hear it), he makes me sick. and i, too, have watched the series from Ep 1. i know he has “issues” but that type of hyperbole is reprehensible.

• TV Gord says:

I didn’t hear it, either. Where in the podcast is it? I was going to go back and listen to it a second time (the beginning part, where he’s talking about season four), but the link won’t take me back there. It just takes me to a search engine which leads me back to the search engine….

Anyway, I didn’t hear any rape comment.

• TV Gord says:

Okay, I rebooted my computer and it came back. It’s about 11 minutes in, and sara has taken it completely out of context. He wasn’t saying watching season four was like being held down and watching your family get raped. He was talking about leaving a message for Bill Murray, and hoping he would call back to discuss playing Jeff’s father, because that was always his dream. And having the dream of that possibility taken away from him would be the worst thing ever. It would be like being held down and watching your family get raped. He wasn’t saying it as though it were a good thing. He was saying it as though it would be the worst thing ever. Sure, it’s an extreme comment to make, but it wasn’t as mean-spirited as you make it seem, sara.

• F says:

I have no stake in this Community thing (liked the first two seasons, didn’t like the third, didn’t bother with season 4) but even taken out of context, comparing rape to something that isn’t rape is disgusting. The only thing that’s like rape IS rape and pretending otherwise is trivializing one of the worst acts people commit against one another.

• TV Gord says:

Agreed. I’m not defending that. I’m pointing out that the quote is being misinterpreted here. If you’re going to be outraged, you should know what you’re outraged about.

• Brooke says:

Oh christ. I’m a huge Community fan since season 1. Dan’s clearly intensely creative and willing to think outside of the box, as his three seasons of Community more than adequately demonstrate. But the fact that he fell back on an incredibly offensive, trite, tired and worn out rape analogy certainly suggests he’s not as genius as he thinks he is.

• …oh, what the hell. I could’ve sympathized with the comments of his actually quoted in the article (I liked s4, but I can see the awkwardness of watching someone imitate your creation), but WHAT. *headdesk* And I was vainly hoping he wouldn’t bring his childish drama back with him. Naive, I know.

5. Chris says:

He’s right. And he has always been pretty frank. He may be arrogant but for fans of the show that’s EXACTLY what it was. It was a poor imitation of what the show had been and it was very obvious that they were trying to do a carbon copy of what Harmon had done only with less wit, heart, and understanding of the characters. So yeah, I agree with him.

• ER says:

I was with him until the whole “like watching my entire family being raped” bit. Um, no. A subpar TV season =/= a horrific crime.

6. Playhouse says:

All credit to Harmon, but wow, this comes off incredibly ugly. He’s not wrong, but this kind of naked egotism turns me off to what he has to offer in a major way.

7. Roger says:

He’s the creator and I like Dan Harmon and all, but this is a shot to the genitals to not only the the whole crew but also the cast’s hard work. Season 4 like it or not had brilliant moment’s. AKA the return on The Darkest Timeline. Season 5 will be interesting. Yes.

• meh troll says:

I cant imagine the crew is deeply pained or gives two figs about how that season is perceived.

• Alan says:

everyone cares about the perception of themselves and their work, its basic human nature to worry about how others perceive you. so good luck to the guy going back to work with the people he just tore to shreds, im sure it will make for a lovely work environment that will foster great creativity.

8. shuayb says:

Does he not want to return to the show? Is this why he is doing this. insane…

9. D'Arcy says:

He really should remember the writers that were there with him, who were only trying their best.

10. Julio says:

The first 2/3 of Season 4 was weak, but the last third was great. Harmon is hardly the most objective person. Having to film episodes without Chevy Chase when the finale was filmed without him must have been difficult to work around, but it was done well. The Changnesia thing was the worst part of the season, introducing Britta to Inspector Spacetime (when she actually knew about it much earlier) was dumb, and I’m still not sure how the darkest timeline thing was supposed to work, but I enjoyed watching.

That said, now that Harmon’s back, my expectations will be very high, since he’s a genius now.

11. Molly says:

I can’t even bring myself to support that show if it means giving that guy praise or attention. What a colossal douchebag.

12. Leah says:

Season 5 had better be AMAZING after he just crapped all over the hard work of people who did their best at a near impossible job. I guess he forgot why he wasn’t there to make season four himself.

13. I don’t think he’s truly an awful human being, but he does come off that way sometimes. I wish the whole situation hadn’t happened in the first place (with Chevy and him), or that it was handle better at the time, because now the show, and Harmon (because of his response), is tainted by it.

14. Katrinka says:

Considering this man is a writer, he really needs some new words. Of course he is entitled to his opinion & he can share it anywhere he likes. But Community is more than just Dan Harmon & his inability to play well with others risks the show as a whole. Yes, he may have the talent to back up his rhetoric, but he better hope he hits it out of the park this season. Those words will taste incredibly bitter if he ends up eating them.

• Brooke says:

Your comment sums up a lot of my thoughts.

I could be the best person at my job ever, but if I decided to be a dick to everyone I work with, I’m not going to get to keep my job. Dan Harmon clearly hasn’t learned this even though it already has gotten him in trouble.

• Cecily says:

His ridiculous drama takes away from a show that has a fan base that has worked HARD for three years straight to keep the damned show on the air. When he pulls crap like that, it reminds me that, in his eyes, it’s all about him. Ugh.

And the rape comment puts him in asshat land like nothing else does. Never to return. blech.

15. SuperBuckeye30 says:

Wow…very unprofessional of Harmon to come out and say this about the show. My enthusiasm for him returning to Community has just decreased big time. He’s the Kanye West of TV show runners now. Good grief.

16. April says:

I don’t mind Harmon’s attitude. If someone took a massive dump on something wonderful I had created, I’d say much worse. Here’s hoping he can fix things in Season 5.

17. Midori says:

Calling yourself a genesis is just being a little turd. Yes season 4 was bad, but it’s not like Harmon wrote every episode of seasons 1-3.

Wow… Just wow…

18. That sure is a lot of overreactions to a person’s honest opinion of what was done with his own creation.

• Brooke says:

Isn’t that an overreaction to a lot of peoples’ honest reactions to someone’s verbal diarrhea?

• Betsy says:

or people don’t really take kindly to a showrunner comparing his loss of creative control to his whole family being raped (which, admittedly, isn’t mentioned here, but he did indeed say).

• TV Gord says:

No, he didn’t. I explain above what he really said, and you’ve misunderstood it. He was not using that rape analogy to compare it to the loss of creative control.

• ajintexas says:

Seriously, stop trying to defgend someone using that kind of language in ANY context you POS. Rape isn’t something you joke about because your little feelings are hurt over your TV show. Your stupidity is just astounding. Shut UP already.

• TV Gord says:

Thanks for the lecture, but I know rape isn’t something to joke about. I wasn’t taking issue with that. People are spreading misinformation about how he said what he said, and that’s important, too.

You should learn how to make your point without resorting to name-calling. It makes you seem small.

• ajintexas says:

Someone need to tell you to shut up. you are embarrassing yourslef defending a guy making rape jokes. There is no context that make it ok. But I know you well from these boards. You are like Harmon and just don’t know when to stop talking.

• TV Gord says:

You don’t know me.

• Voice of Reason says:

Take your own advice. You are out of control on a comment board and WILDLY over-reacting to a comment. If you can’t discuss something rationally, then keep your small-minded comments to yourself. There’s a good troll.

• FeeFee says:

Using a rape analogy in general = a no-go

Nothing is like rape but rape. Saying different is mocking a hideous crime and the person who does so needs to be made aware of this.

19. Britta Unfiltered says:

People need to calm their crap down. I haven’t heard this podcast yet…I’m gonna go listen to it right now, but I kind of picture Dan making the genius comment in his usual sarcastic, self-deprecating way. The stuff he says doesn’t always read as self-deprecating, but if you hear him talk, you can tell he is not someone who thinks highly of himself or is someone who is 100% comfortable with the adoration of his fans. (And yes, many of us adoring fans are out there.) He is very self-destructive, and I think that’s why he comes out and says things like this sometimes. Also, keep in mind he is pretty drunk when he performs Harmontown. I think it’s the only way he can deal with his nerves, so that tends to remove the filter. And Harmontown is exactly how he described, it’s very dirty and personal, and that’s why I love it. I can’t stand fakeness. I love how direct he is, and he considers his podcast to be “therapy.” He had one podcast where he got into stories of having sex with mannequins and sticking sharpie pens up his rear. He holds nothing back and says exactly what’s on his mind. Some people aren’t comfortable with people who do that. Some people think it’s arrogant to say what’s really on your mind. But I believe he’s just saying the things we all think about ourselves deep down. The difference is, we hide our deepest thoughts and keep them buried. He’s got the courage to let them all come out. I love that about him, how he doesn’t believe in BS at all.
    And let’s face it, season four really did suck. Even the cast knows it. The whole reason we’re getting Dan back is because the cast so thoroughly hated the quality of season four that they staged a coup and got Dan his job back so Community could be good again. Next time anyone wants to talk about how awesome they thought season four was, just remember…even the Community cast will disagree with you on that subject.

• Emma says:

“There’s something awesome about being held down and watching your family get raped on a beach. It’s liberating.” If that’s what really “on his mind,” then he’s even more disgusting than I thought

• Brooke says:

Ehhh whatever. Being drunk and saying what’s exactly on my mind wouldn’t work in my favor at any of the companies I’ve worked for. Dan Harmon isn’t somehow exempt from that just because he’s in the entertainment business. He still has bosses, coworkers, and staff that he has to manage effectively and work with every day. They don’t give a rat’s ass what sort of magical special snowflake he is if his drunken mind-speaking just makes work miserable.

20. George says:

He needs to understand how to be political by playing all sides against each other and remaining nuetral on the surface while keeping his self interest at heart.

21. Michael says:

Season 4 was “Community-Lite.” It didn’t have the same, inspired creative spark that the first three seasons had. It had its moments, yes, but I have to admit I was totally shocked when it was renewed because I felt that other shows, like Go On, for example, where much funnier.

However… Having Dan Harmon back makes me much more positive that I will like season 5 a whole lot more than this last one.

22. chaz says:

I think Dan Harmon hit the nail on the head. It was a bad immitation of community in season 4. Britta not being Britta was terrible but not having troy and abed in the morning just made season 4 a struggle to watch. Long the Dan The King.

23. Emma says:

That fact that he continues to act so unprofessional and rude pretty much tells me that he doesn’t expect any other network to ever hire him once Community gets canceled. And by right no one should, he’s consistently acted like a bratty toddler who doesn’t get his way.

24. Bob J says:

Season three had some pretty crappy moments. The entire Chang plot line was a fail. I think he’s overlooking what he left them with.

• Cecily says:

Oh my goodness, THIS. Ugh. I can’t imagine being on of the writers on 4 (who also worked with him on 3) who now has to work with him on 5. How awful. :(

• ThatBob says:

YES! The way people are talking in these comments you’d think the show hadn’t already been in a downhill slide in season 3, some of which was really, really lame. Abed especially had gone from being a quirky, funny character to a complete mental case.

25. Michael says:

I have loved this show since Ep1 and have never missed it. That being said, Dan Harmon is his own worst enemy. By his own admission, I saw the video of the interview on youtube last year, he quit caring during the later part of season 3 and just tried to get mentioned in the New York Times. He took a crap on us, the fans, during that part of season 3 and then decided to be an ass and got himself fired. Now he is back, and while I am very happy to have him running the show again, unless he decided to start caring again, i’m afraid the show will not get better.

26. Drew says:

What he fails to realize is that no matter what season 4 was like, he would have the same reaction. No matter what, he would be stuck thinking about what he would have done and he would be watching for whatever flaw he could fine. I found the same to be true with some of the fans. They were looking for the differences so hard that they couldn’t enjoy even the good episodes anymore.

He was never going to have anything but a negative reaction to it so he should have watched it, plotted his stories and shut up about it. I’m sure that if we go back and watch his episodes under a microscope it would be less enjoyable as well.

• Mary says:

Dan Harmon not liking season 4 was a given, you didn’t even have to read the article to figure that out. But guess what, he’s right, season 4 sucked.

27. pete says:

I can see why the fired him the first time. Season 4 was a more mature version of community, I for one liked that approach, The characters were actually people. Season wont be the holy grail people are wanting.

• chaz says:

If you liked season 4 then don’t watch anymore because season 5 will not be a “mature” (btw wtf) and will not conform to your lobotomy. There is no way I could watch season 4 all the way through in one sitting without being extremely cranky.

Also Jeff Winger is named after the Bill Murray character in Stripes. In season 4 we got the wrong actor to play his father. That gives you just a bit of how wrong season 4 was. How can the show runners britta that up?

28. Tyson Scott-Price says:

I think Dan is right. Season 4 was a turd, yeah it had some
    Ok episodes (body switching, thanksgiving) but what all of you are saying about emotional growth is stupid. Mostly because there was none, sure, Jeff met his dad (which paid off emotionally kind of) and Troy and britta had their thing (am I the only one that was kind of bummed out about the way Troy treated britta). But I think with the tools and storyline given to the 2 guys that took the helm, they took the easy way out with no risks in play.

They gave the people who watch the show just to see them all hug at the end exactly what they wanted. If you can sit here and defend the season 4 finale, then maybe you’re standards for community are low.

Don’t sit at your computers snooting and acting like Dan harmon now has to impress you because you feel as though he owes you for speaking his mind and using confronting analogies.

Can’t you all be cool, like me?

29. davey says:

I think Harmon is being too harsh.

30. As much as I liked season four of Community, we all felt the same way as Harmon. He just has the balls to say it out loud. It was a rip off of what it used to be under his direction. The dude knows this is his show, and that he was unjustifiably let go after season three ended. Let the dude blow off some steam. If you stuck around for season four peeps, I know you will be back for season five despite how you view Harmon’s comments. I dig them. He created the show, he has to right to critiques its direction.

• Brooke says:

And since he put his critique out there in public for everyone to see/hear, we all have the right to comment upon how tactlessly worded it was.

• I just don’t really understand what people were expecting him to say? Were they expecting a harsh but respectable criticism? When has his humour ever been anything but exactly the way it was in this recent podcast. Dan is known for this, the whold Chevy thing was the same.

31. BenC says:

I thought the Britta’s Dance episode was fantastic, one of the best episodes the show ever did, but the rest of it was pretty bad.

32. Devan says:

What an idiot he is. If I had spent the last season watching Community and staying loyal enough to it to keep it on the air – with no knowledge that Harmon was EVER coming back – I would feel totally shat on by this guy.

(Unless you’re a big fan of assholery, which probably Harmon groupies are.)

• Alex says:

And since you haven’t watched the last season, what gives you the right to come here and comment about this, other than to be a troll? You’re clearly the big fan of assholery, with your holier than thou attitude.

33. Babybop says:

He’s really not making a case for himself as a person. He should be thankful the show is even still running.

34. Patrick Maloney says:

Now that you have your show back, you’re gonna bad mouth everyone? Grow up

35. Marc says:

If he didn’t want the studio putting someone else in charge of his creation, he shouldn’t have signed a contract that allowed Sony to fire him and keep the show. Sure, he probably doesn’t have enough juice to do that. He’s not DEK or Chuck Lorre. He could have done other shows and, if he achieved enough success, dictated the terms of a contract for his “masterpiece.” But, he didn’t. Live and learn.

36. Jacob says:

Dan’s tweet has a point: it’s a comedy podcast. He’s allowed to be overly sarcastic and a little nasty, because that’s what his listeners want. Is that right? Probably not, but I think picking up the story like this is some huge bombshell is equally as dubious. We didn’t honestly expect him to like it, did we?

I find his honesty refreshing at times (emphasis on “at times.” I stopped listening to Harmontown months ago because his honesty began to feel too cynical), and I know he meant no ill towards actual people, just the show in general. I mean, considering the vitriol expressed by fans over some of the episodes, he probably just thought he was in good company. *shrug* Whatever. Season five will still be better than the majority of season four. We all know this to be true.

37. ajintexas says:

I used to really love this show, but now I hope NBC does a 180 and cancels it over these comments. I don’t care how “tongue in cheek” you are being, you don’t make rape analogies about your stupid little TV show. There is no place in this world for people who take something as horrific as that act and delegitimize the feelings and lives of people that survived it in hope that “people know you really take your work that seriously.” This guy needs to grow up.

38. champmav says:

So much negative controversy in these comments is over an out of context misquote!! Why so quick to hatefully judge, people?? Let us all just watch next season with an open mind and the hopefulness of more quality Harmon-influenced comedy! There is no shortage of talent in this production, at ALL levels. S4 was sometimes (often) missing a certain hard-to-define spark; let us hope Dan H. can provide that spark for S5.

39. bobbie says:

I don’t know how people can blame Chevy Chase for Dan Harmon’s a$$holishness. Harmon humiliated Chevy in front of Chevy’s family, and yes Chevy did read him the riot act, but later, and in PRIVATE. It was Dan Harmon who put it online. He’s NOT THAT TALENTED. What has he done besides Community? Anything of note? A lot of the good from community was the lovability of the characters, brought to you by the actors, including Chevy Chase.

• ajintexas says:

Exactly, but most of the kids that post on here have no clue about all the work Chevy has done in the past. Nor do they know that he is not the type to sit and take abuse in front of his family from this guy. Chevy has done everything from SNL to countless moives. The real question is, “What has Dan Harmon done?” Community has never been any kind of hit ratings wise. I assume he has done other TV work, but honestly this is the first I have heard of him. Of the two, Harmon is the bigger egomaniac.

• Kendall says:

Chevy causes a lot of his own problems — much like Dan Harmon — but it is pretty ridiculous the lengths some people go to in trying to blame others for Harmon’s self-sabotage.

This incident is the result of Harmon engaging in a circle jerk with his flock of worshipers.

40. Mike R. says:

While the wording is unfortunate, I wish I could say he was wrong, but season 4 was mediocre, an that is being generous.

41. cjeffery7 says:

i’m rolling my eyes, laughing, and cringing all at the same time.

42. Ella says:

UGH, what a tool. And his earlier quote definitely bit him in the ass because he did exactly what he said he wouldn’t do. That being said, he’s not entirely wrong. He could have been classier about it but Community was created by him and that’s why people love it. Season 4 was still great but because of the actors, not because of the writing.

43. ajintexas says:

I really never thought I would see the day when multiple people would defend a guy making rape jokes just so a tv show they like stays on the air. The things some people without a conscience will tolerate.

• Alex says:

Get over your self and quit trolling this post already. I get so tired of the PC police trying to crucify everyone who makes a dumb off the cuff comment. Give it a rest already. Too bad they outlawed public flogging, it’d give people like you something to do…

44. A.B. says:

The way I see it season 4 was just a way to end the show. Basically it felt like the characters were saying goodbye and were growing up. So instead of leaving it alone( which by the way I have watched since the beginning) they are then going to regress these characters back to silly antics. Not saying I won’t watch, cause I will but maybe it should have just ended. IMO.

45. rachelle says:

He’s right. A lot of fans were trashing this past season and talking sooooo much crap. Now, everyone wants to get up in arms about how Harmon’s crapping all over people’s hard work. Ummmm Why is it okay when you guys do it, but not when he does? Especially if he’s being honest. Plus, he has more of a reason to react this way than any fan who talked crap about Season 4– he’s the creator. NBC took his baby and altered it. I didn’t hate Season 4, but it was markedly different from Harmon’s vision, style, and humor. Harmon can be as honest as he wants to be. Yes, he might be a little uncouth, but I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. Not everyone needs to use kid gloves when they want to criticize or comment on something.

46. Cally says:

I get that the analogy was extreme and in poor taste but people act like he was downplaying rape which I didnt take it as. I just took at he was really high on how hurt he was over what they did to the show.

I get being PC and I get that some things aren’t a joke, but I also think that sometimes we’re quick to pounce on things and make them something they are not.

For anyone praising S4, I didnt see that. I saw regression, ignoring of characters, and cheap laughs, and definitely poor imitation. So I see his point there. I also see that it sucks to have dream storylines and what direction they would have gone and to not have that opportunity.

I dont like his comparison but I also dont think he’s minimizing a crime or that that was the intent. Ignorant comparison, sure. Is he a jerk, probably but no more than many others. I just think its a quick decision to stone him here.

47. danharmonisbetterthanyourfave says:

yall hating. he’s talented, and if he’s an ahole about it, thats his right. we don’t have to like him, just his tv show. but i love that he’ll say stuff as it is. your faves could never.

48. guy says:

i don’t mind any insensitive thing he says. if you do or don’t, its not his fault.