Exclusive

Good Wife Scoop: Season 5 to Introduce New Trio, Including Love Interest for [Spoiler]

What's In The Box?The Good Wife is looking to retain at least three new recurring characters as the CBS drama gears up for its fifth season this fall.

According to some just-released casting intel, the trio includes Holly, a smartypants Assistant State’s Attorney who’s an old friend and potential romantic foil for… Kalinda! (Flashback: Exec producer Robert King hinted at this very possibility last month in a Q&A with TVLine.)

RELATED | Good Wife Bosses Confirm: Alicia Chose [Spoiler]

Also on the docket is a lawyer at Lockhart Gardner who is one of the fourth-year associates jumping ship with Cary and Alicia. The newbie — whose unofficial name, oddly enough, is Carey with an “E” — is described as intelligent but somewhat overeager.

Finally, newly elected Governor Peter Florrick will hire a sexy, savvy in-house ethics adviser by the name of Marilyn. Her primary job responsibility is making sure Peter’s administration plays by the rules. (Methinks that ship set sail in the Season 4 finale.)

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview: Your Guide to 52 New Shows

The Good Wife resumes production in less than a month, so hurry up and post your casting suggestions in the comments. Oh, and avoid recommending actors and actresses already committed to full-time jobs. We’re looking for realistic ideas.

1. JULIANNA MARGULIES IS FLAWLESS says:

Peter will end up banging the in-house ethics adviser….

• Androme says:

As much as I respect Peter, I also have that feeling he’ll be banging the in-house ethics adviser. Alicia just cannot catch a break with him.

• good. that’s why she should have chose will.

• Loz says:

She hasn’t chosen anyone though – she only chose to go with Cary and I think she did that so she can be with Will, so that Will wouldn’t be her boss anymore.

• Nancy says:

Sorry Liz but she chose Peter. Even the writers said so. She left her job to get AWAY from Will Not so she could be with him. Sorry but Will is a jerk and he would cheat on her just as much as people say Peter would. He can’t commit.

• itmatters says:

I am a fan of peter. I don’t believe that Peter would cheat again. He did cheat on Alicia, it was terribly wrong. Peter has suffered from the severe punishment, including 10-month imprisonment, step-down from public office, and a wife who was committed to their marriage by having whole lot of sex with Will. So it is a really painful lesson Peter would never forget in his life. That is why he has totally transformed and behaved so well in the past four years.
        Alicia’s indecisiveness is unfair to both Peter and Will, and it would probably hurt both of them. Robert King has made it clear in his interview that “Alicia has only one love in her life, but it is not Peter.” It can explain in some extent why Peter hooked up with some prostitute, because how you could expect a man to stick completely with a woman who has never ever loved you.
        In season 5, I do hope that Peter would divorce Alicia and move on to pursuit his own happiness and true lover /future wife who trutly loves him. (Marilyn, the in-house ethics advisor, may be an excellent idea!). Alicia can do whatever she wants as long as she feels happy (not in a sneaky way anymore.)
        It would be a win-win situation for both Peter and Alicia/Will if the storylines goes like this in S5.
        PS: It is not a cheating even if Peter may sleep with some woman (like Marilyn) in Season 5 because Peter and Alicia are still separated, they has been living in separate houses even in the season finale. If Alicia’s sleeping with Will is not any infidelity during this ongoing separation period, it should apply to peter too. Yes, Alicia has agreed to renew the vows, but I don’t think it will happen because Alicia has never found it difficult to change her mind no matter what decisions she made.

• Mary Morris says:

Before you give Peter glowing marks, we do not know if he ever approached Alicia about his needs not being met. Did he suggest counselling? If Alicia did not know he was unhappy, why would she change? There is no excuse for cheating. She did love Peter. She was humiliated and broken hearted when she found out about his sleeping around. Was he thinking about his children and their feelings? He has some “splainin” to do and some work with a therapist. They both both do if their marriage will ever work.

• James Butler says:

I am not sure it’s Alicia that can’t;; catch a break with Peter; it seems to me that Peter cannot catch a break no matter what he does. He has been exemplary since his misdeeds in season one and Alicia has been a total bitch since she hooked up with scumbag Will. Not only was his wife cheating but her lover flounted the fact to his face and he was couckold. Please let The Good Wife be what the name implys.

• mary says:

Especially if Peter lives in Springfield and Alicia in Chicago…

2. SL says:

What about Becki Newton, assuming The Goodwin Games doesn’t get another season?

3. Blake says:

Respectively: Kim Raver, Adam Brody and Katie Holmes (especially cause I want this last one to find a job on TV ASAP, and in such a great show, that would be oh-so-awesome).

• tw says:

Please no….every time Kim Raver is a regular on a series, it gets cancelled. Sort of like Jack Davenport , who I adore, actually. But his track record is awful.

• Blake says:

Meh, maybe not when she joins after a while haha, she didn’t “hurt” Grey’s Anatomy. Also, don’t forget that Third Watch lasted for 6 years. :)

• Ginger says:

Adam Brody!! YES! He has that over-eager nerdiness down pat.

• Rowan77 says:

He was so boss on House of Lies. No remnants of Seth Cohen shown. He needs a new series. I miss seeing him on TV.

4. me says:

jane badler

5. Jay says:

what about anna torv to play marylin? the already casted john noble in one episode, it’s a good opportunity for her to come back to tv without being fully committed to a show.

6. Lucy says:

Yeah, let’s give Kalinda another new love interest/foil (that’s the only thing they care about). Let’s forget they’ve wasted four years of Cary’s love life around her to give us an OFF SCREEN hook up and ON SCREEN beaten up (without even a mediocre follow up). I’m feed up. Season 5 is going to be another waste of time for Matt Czuchry.

• Lincoln says:

I think I understand where you are coming from. Matt (Carey) is extremely underused. The writers give better storylines and pay more attention to the guest stars then they do to the Carey character. I wonder if this is some kind of personal vendetta. Maybe the writers don’t like the actor as a person? It sort of feels like he’s being punished by being a silly tag-along and not an active cast member. The season only just ended and honestly, I can remember storylines related to most of the guest stars better than I can remember Carey’s.

• C says:

I feel like in past seasons this might have been true – there have definitely been times that Cary was seriously underused – but this season they set him up to be a pretty big player in S5, TGW has a lot of characters and a lot of split storylines and I’ve found that the more they expand their core cast (like the addition of Eli in S3), without condensing their core storylines…the more you feel like a character you enjoy has been underused. Kalinda got the brunt of that at the end of S4, Cary and even Peter through chunks of S3,

I think the first two years were so strong because they found the right balance between two or three main story arcs and weaving their core in and out of that narration. They’ve just expanded so much and included such a broad range of guest stars that it’s sometimes to the disservice of their core cast. I bet this year Cary will get his due.

Kalinda on the other hand…I’m a little worried that they have no idea what to do with her.

• Lucy says:

After what they’ve done with his character that season the only one who could look for a personal and professional vendetta is Czuchry. They almost turned him into a background character in the first part of season 4 and then they had him beaten up in that damn parking lot and not a damn storyline came out of it. That was writers’ final word about the character and the actor: “we don’t give a damn”. So nobody gave a damn about it because, let’s face it: if even writers don’t give a damn why should viewers give a damn?
        And that Florrick/Agos associates thing….it was ALL about Will and Alicia! And the only thing I’ve heard about that storyline is how it’s going to impact Alicia and Will relationship….again. I bet that while Alicia and Will will have their new love/hate thing in court writers will just relegate Cary to the boring bussiness stuff…that’s until they’ll need him to make Kalinda’s love life more packed, of course.
        I’m tired of Cary/Czuchry being used just when they NEED it, with absolutely no continuity, respect or consistence for his storylines or his dynamic with other characters.
        Czuchry’s fault is that he didn’t have a prestigious pedigree like the rest of the cast. He was just the Gilmore Girls Boy when he joined the cast. And I fear he’s doomed to suffer for it until the end of the series even if he deserves more that this.

• A says:

I get what you’re saying. Matt is definitely underused, but to be honest he is not a main character, and as much as I like Cary, I never really ever tuned in because I was excited to see what was going to happen to him. It was nice to see his storylines and his interactions with the other characters but if I went a couple episodes without it, I wouldn’t get super upset. I do think though that this season has set him up to be a bigger player in the show with his jumping ship with Alicia so it’ll be nice to see how that plays out.

• macabre says:

Exactly.

• Lucy says:

You’re right Cary is not a main character. The only main character in that show is Alicia. He’s a supporting character: exactly like Kalinda, Eli, Will and Diane. A lot of people tune for them and not just for Alicia. I tuned for Cary and I wanted to see what was going to happen to him.
        So for 2 years I’ve listen Kings’ promises about getting more Cary and more storylines for him, but unfortunally for 2 years his storylines and screentime kept sucking, so forgive me if it’s becoming a problem for me and that’s why I complain now (all the time).
        So now there’s nothing they can say or write to convince me that season 5 would be different. Especially after season 4.
        To be honest especially after that beaten up, which was written with no respect for the character/actor or his fans. But also after that off-screen hook up which was written more like something they wanted to threw off for good than like something they want to really develop. And now, with those spoilers, we can say that it was nothing more than the usual little sop for C/K fans before the next Kalinda’s new love interest.

• rty123 says:

I’m hoping that the writers haven’t forgotten that Alicia and Cary are supposed to be the next Will&Diane. I, for one, am incredibly curious to see how a partnership like that is born. With the added twist that Will and Kalinda will unite more than ever against the new firm, I think Cary will have a lot to do in Season 5.

I think that they have to cut the Peter’s stuff. I don’t care one bit about him being the Governor.

7. sara says:

Their descriptions are always so terrible/boring and then when the actors show up they’re always so fab. I’m glad that there’s someone that means less Cary/Kalinda though.

8. Colleen says:

Whomever they cast, I just hope they are around for a while, as “romantic foil for Kalinda” seems to be code for uber talented actress who is going to go get a contract role on another show and we only see for a handful of episodes.

9. C says:

How original! An ‘old friend’ of Kalinda’s comes back to be a romantic foil :-p. Let’s hope this one sticks around longer than Kelli Giddish or Mark Warren (I’m not cranky or anything about K’s dropped storylines).

I am however excited about this new in-house ethics adviser. I could totally see Kim Raver playing her.

I could also see KaDee Strickland in either of those two female roles, though I’d lean a little more towards Kalinda’s “old friend”.

10. Mangochic says:

No I want Carey and Kalinda to be together and not just an off-screen hook-up.

• Lucy says:

After 4 seasons of teasing and mockery about those two I think we can conclude it’s never going to happen for real or for more than a couple of episodes for season. And sincerely I reached a point I don’t give a damn about it. Let’s give Cary his love interest and free him from the “Kalinda’s convicted love interests” area.

11. Jen L. says:

Mare Winningham for Marilyn. I don’t see a Peter-Marilyn hook up. Instead I see Marilyn being honest and true and really focused on her ethical purpose — which wreaks havoc on the sneaky culture of Peter’s political machine. AND she and Alicia Florrick realize they’re ethics are similar. Potential BFFs?

12. Amanda says:

Anna Torv for Molly (though I know she won’t be there), Justin Baldoni (Everwood, Heroes) for Carey, and Eve Best ( Dr. Eleanor O’Hara from Nurse Jackie) for Marilyn.

13. Saint Alicia says:

Enough with the never-ending parade of Kalinda’s love interests. Can we just get some traction/progress between Cary and Kalinda ON SCREEN instead? Truly and legitimately?? There’s a novel idea.
    And the fact that they’ve nicknamed one of the new characters “Carey” is so nauseatingly saccharine I may vomit. Guess the “Batman” (Kalinda) and “Robin” (Robyn) name play wasn’t cutesy enough, let’s just introduce this similarly named character even though people regularly misspell Cary/Carey/Kary all the time. Why not add Carrie/Kerry/Keri to the fray (if it’s a woman) while were at?
    *facepalm*
    p.s. “Marilyn” sounds like Shiksa Bambi 2.0 and “Holly” a riff on Sophia

14. Sue says:

Kim Raver will be great!!! Meghan Hilty, Sela Ward, Gina Bellman or Mary McCormack! Or Kyra Sedgwick as well!

15. Lily says:

I bet Peter will cheat again or be tempted, a cheater never change and that’s mostly why I want her to be with Will or alone but not with peter, she should’ve never forgive him in the first place anyway.

16. Aizaz Rasheed says:

Good Wife is the BEST show on TV. So multi layered and complex. Well my Suggestions are a little out of the box – but they are awesome:

Sexy Advisor – You can’t get better than Jennifer Aniston – I have always thought that she would have been the best choice to play the title role but JM is awesome.

Cary with an E – I would go with Zachary Knighton or Daman Wayans – ZK was really good on Flash Forward and DW can be a really good actor if given a chance.

For Smarty Pants – Sarah Chalke. She is amazing – Too bad that ABC gave her the worst show.

If I get 1/3 or 1/4 I will be okay.

17. Carol says:

I really don’t think Peter will cheat Alicia again. He spent the last 4 years trying to prove he’s changed, it would be stupid of him and the writers to throw a whole season of build up between them in the garbage. I think the writers can do better and I believe in them.

18. N says:

Is the 4th year newbie Cary a male or female? I assumed female and thought Becki Newton for that spot. If male, maybe Ben McKenzie? Not sure about Kalinda’s love interest/foil. They always seem to mess that up anyway. As for Marilyn, what about Kim Delaney? Assuming it’s someone between Alicia and Peter’s age. Would love for her to be back on TV. I can see her being tough with Peter when needed. And she works as someone who could tempt Peter to cheat again.

19. tahina says:

I like Kalinda’s eye sexing Alicia on that picture. It may never happen..but what the heck ,TGW always push the envelope, so..

20. whisperintherain says:

Felicity Huffman or Maria Bello for the Marilyn role, please! And Jennifer Finnigan for Holly.

21. a says:

Alicia Witt came to mind.

22. sladewilson says:

Holly – Jasika Nicole
    Marilyn – Stacy Keibler
    Carey – Damon Wayans or Olivia Wilde

23. Bren W. says:

Hm… an ADA love interest for Kalinda? I love the Kaydee Strickland and Anna TRorv ideas. Lets also throw in ROSE BYRNE!

24. Dea says:

I would like Famke Janssen play as Marilyn because she look a like Julianna Marguliesand Peter would cheating on Alica again! Once a cheater will always be a cheater.

25. Leo says:

Nina Arianda for Holly
    Adam Brody for Carey
    Kaydee Strickland for Marylin

26. Ela says:

Eve Best would have been great for Marilyn, but I will vote for Gina Bellman! :D

27. Eli says:

Jessy Schram for Marilyn!

28. Nancy says:

Peter had no knowledge of the voting issue. Why people keep wanting to attack it for him I have no clue. Just because he hires a woman does not mean he will cheat. So what? he has to only hire men to work for him to keep people from accusing him of cheating?

• Kyle says:

He may not have had knowledge of it when it happened, but when Will told him about it Peter failed to do the right thing and come clean about what his campaign had done. So yeah, he still isn’t as “reformed” as he claims to be. As far as whether or not he’s going to cheat, I’m not going to assume he is. I’d prefer Alicia deciding to leave him because of the fact that she’s not in love with him rather than because he has cheated on her again.

29. Nancy says:

Wish they would bring back Jill Flint. Lana is a great character. But Jill has no idea when that will happen.Come on writers. Get with the program.

30. ddawg says:

Ali Larter pretty please? I miss her.

31. Leslie says:

Who cares? As long as Alicia is with Peter and not Will I won’t be watching!

32. Ella says:

Oh, great. So after Cary/Kalinda fans are promised that their relationship won’t be abandoned and that we’ll actually get some more screentime for their dynamic next season, they now introduce a new love interest?! UGH. Also, Peter won’t cheat again, he just won’t, I have to believe that. His journey to atoning and being a good husband again has been a joy to watch.

33. Pat says:

Every season we get a new round of love interests for Kalinda and a bunch of false promises about Cary.And every season we just get a miserable kiss or an awful off-screen hook up and absolutely no development or consistent storyline about those two.
    Also I agree, that right now I prefer Cary to get “his” serious love interest, especially if that awful off-screen nothing followed by a bunch of senseless talks about money was the best they could do with do with Cary and Kalinda.
    But I fear they’re going to waste another season: he’ll spend all the time pitifully chasing Kalinda and end up being involved in some worthless and predictable triangle with the new girl. The same old boring stuff they keep recycling every season.
    And seriously, besides her sex life, do they have other ways to develop Kalinda’s character?

34. Imjustsayin says:

I liked this show, and I used to watch it on Tuesdays. Then they moved it to Sunday, when there are football games running late, and it’s never on when it’s supposed to be on, so now I no longer watch it. Terrible move by CBS, putting it in this time slot. But then again, ant network that wants to shove 2 Broke Girls down my throat for a second season is pretty clueless.

35. THE GOOD WIFE IS PERFECT says:

Katrina Bowden or Megan Hitty (smash) for Marilyn
    Laura Benanti or Bianca Kajich for Holly
    and Carey with an e should be Taylor Handley, Wes Brown or Steven Pasquale
    (These are all people that have had shows that got cancelled)
    My hope is that Marilyn’s character will have a one night stand with Peter, Holly’s character will have a fling or will make Cary Jealous and Carey with an e will be like the Cary (without the e) :D

36. Tania says:

I like the Kim Raver idea for Marilyn.

If (please TV Gods) she’s not on Grey’s Anatomy this fall, what about Hilarie Burton for Kalinda’s foil? Much as I don’t want her back on GA, she showed me that she’s a better actress than I realized when she was on One Tree Hill, she’s willing to play a gay character, and she has presence.

If not as a foil for Kalinda, how about pairing with Matt C.’s Cary?

37. frausie says:

I love Peter and see no attraction in Will. Being with Peter is far more interesting and realistic than running off with Will. Look at Hillary Clinton, she stuck by her man. Alicia is the stronger one in the marriage now and calls the shots. I hope the script writers aren’t going to be predictable and have Peter shagging his assistant. Trying to make his marriage work would be more interesting if they showed the turmoils they both go through but persevere out of love.

• guategal says:

I find Frausie’s attitude unbelieveable ! If this politically handcuffed marriage of P/A perseveres, it won’t be because of love. I feel no genuine chemistry between them. Alicia is in love with Will and Will has always loved only Alicia. The writers build angst supposedly to maintain watchers’ interest. Season 1, 2, & 3 had high ratings with these now missing circumstances: regular weekly showings starting always at the same time, Alicia and Will relationship developing a core weekly interest, Alicia having a trustworthy and caring of other’s feelings strong image, intense followers’ compassion created for Alicia’s path in life plight.