Scoop: 24 Vet Returns to Live Another Day

Get More: News

24 live another dayAnother key player from the original 24 is making time for the show’s limited series revival on Fox.

Jon Cassar, who directed 59 episodes of 24 during his six-season run on the show (picking up two Emmys along the way), has signed on as an exec producer/director of next May’s 12-episode event 24: Live Another Day.

RELATED | 23 Shows We Want Remade and Revived Now

“I’m excited to call ‘action!’ again on the set of the resurrected 24,” says Cassar, who will helm multiple episodes of 24:LAD (including with the first two). “Considering I was not involved in Season 8, this… gives me the chance for closure on a show that is very important to me.”

RELATED | Fall TV Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

Adds showrunner Howard Gordon: “Jon was a profoundly integral part of 24 creatively and culturally. It doesn’t feel like it would be 24 without him, and we’re all just really thrilled to be working with him again.”

As Fox president Kevin Reilly previously explained, Live Another Day will essentially be 24 “compressed over 12 weeks. It will go chronologically over the day, but it will skip hours. It will be dictated by the plot.”

Kiefer Sutherland is the only actor confirmed for the revival, although conventional wisdom has Mary Lynn Rajskub’s Chloe returning in some capacity as well.

Tags:

Comments (31)

• No Chloe. No watch. Get on it, Fox.

Comment by Dave – June 12, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No Kim’s cougar. No watch.

Comment by Geo – June 13, 2013 05:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chloe is a MUST! Without her it would not be the same :( But either way I am super excited for this!!! :) Jon Cassar is fantastic I am so happy to see him involved!

Comment by Roger – June 12, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It will be better without Chloe ,that’s why season 1 and 2 are the best

Comment by Keith – June 12, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Clearly you’re not among the considerable number that consider season 5 a high water mark for the series. Runner up for me is season 3.

Comment by J – June 12, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve listened to a number of Cassar’s commentaries and DVD extras, and he’s a get-it guy. Don’t if the show could have survived its low rated years without him nailing extensive action sequences in a single take. All shows need a good showrunner, but 24′s production crew headed by Cassar was beyond integral to the shows success.

Comment by Derek Johnson – June 12, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 24 had no low rated years. Season 8 started to dip about halfway through but it was always a ratings juggernaut.

Comment by Calum Provan – June 18, 2013 08:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course! Welcome back! Now we know it will be exciting!

Comment by Angie's – June 12, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Of course! Welcome back! Now we know it will be exciting!

Comment by Angie's – June 12, 2013 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Karen bill chloe and nadia all back. With no kim

Comment by lisa – June 12, 2013 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bill might be a problem. :(

Comment by J – June 12, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gonna be fun to have it back on the air!! I have really missed it :) If only Michelle, Tony, and Bill could be brought back from the Witness Protection Program…but I figure that shipped has long since sailed. HAPPY anyway!!

Comment by Belle – June 12, 2013 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you watch the series? Michelle was assassinated and Bill sacrificed himself :(

Comment by Matt Alex – June 12, 2013 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, its not like Tony wasnt “certainly dead” too, LOL.

I’d love to see Michelle Dessler back…my lord, she was one of the most beautiful women on TV during 24′s heyday.

Comment by Pat D. – June 12, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring back Chloe O’ Brian and Tony Almeida. Also, I’m wondering if they’re going to cast President Logan’s brother.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 12, 2013 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chance they could do a couple more seasons if the first one is a big success I hope so love thus show watch the original 8 season twice

Comment by James – June 12, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To those who wish to see Chloe O’Brien back, do you want to have her back because you think of a good way to integrate her into the story, or just because you love to see Mary Lynn Rajskub pout (yep, Chloe got old on me, tbh)? 24 is driven by its story, including Chloe just because she’s supposedly fun doesn’t make it a good enough reason.

Now, I may not like Chloe much (though she did put a tear next to my left eye when she said goodbye to Jack in episode 8.24, don’t ruin that!), but I’d be pissed if they include one of my favorite 24 characters still alive (Mandy, Mike Novick, Aaron Pierce) just to have them back. But if they have a good reason, if the story truly motivates it (the season 1-2 German connection for Mandy?) and it’s for something that’s different from what we’ve seen in the previous seasons, then I’m down with it.

I’m glad Cassar is back. Hopefully Brad Turner, a major 24 director too (46 episodes between seasons 3-8) gets to film a few episodes too. And I keep wishing Stephen Hopkins, director of 12 of the 24 episodes of the first season, would like to come back – he truly did bring a cinematographic look to Day One, my favorite season.

I hope they have a good story motiving this 24 rebirth. Gordon’s got his plate full (Tyrant on FX, Legends on TNT, Homeland on Showtime), he doesn’t need this so he’s got to have found a compelling story that’d make him want to adapt it in the 24 universe. As long as it’s truly a follow-up to season 8, I’m looking forward to it.

Comment by Annie's Boobs – June 12, 2013 11:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • By that logic, no sense in including Jack. It can just be anybody out there for 12 hours saving the world.

Comment by Len – June 12, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you about Stephen Hopkins, the whole look of the show is thanks to him and his regular DOP Peter Levy (who photographed the pilot episode). He was also responsible for casting all of the main players, including Kiefer, with Carlos Bernard being the one exception. He also came up with the idea of using the boxes (along with one of the editors), hence why they shoot with two cameras – one with a wide lens and one with a zoom. I’ve never understood why he didn’t get more credit or recognition for his work on the show. That first 13 episode arc has never been bettered. What started as a thriller descended into standard action fare by the later seasons. And the season one finale is just something else entirely, you just don’t see that quality of filmmaking on television.

Comment by Chris – January 27, 2014 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • make a summer series not a limited run!

Comment by joterri – June 12, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Jack Bauer is the man! Can’t wait for Jack to be back!

Comment by majamababe – June 12, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no more real time right ???

Comment by Mia – June 12, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Add Tony anf Aaron and were all set.

Comment by Pat Hatt – June 12, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Behrooz’s mom said that Kiefer was mean to her on the set. Called him small and insecure or something like that.

Comment by Caitlin P – June 12, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She said “that young man is pretty angry” and said she suspects he got her fired (she was originally supposed to stick around longer).

Speaking of Behrooz, they should bring back him and Debbie.

Comment by Miffy – June 12, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just don’t bring back Manny Coto, Star Trek killer..Coto was the problem during the final seasons of 24

Comment by Ed – June 12, 2013 05:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No Brannon Braga either

Comment by Ed – June 12, 2013 06:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i think those who consider season 5 the peak, must have jumped on the train late. Season’s 1-3 were by far the best! If the premiere of the limited series cant live up to seasons 1-3 i will be sort of skeptical, but still watch because i loved the show.

Comment by L – June 12, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought season 1 was one of the weakest. 2 is when it really started getting good for me. 4 & 5 are my faves (5 being my absolute favorite). Greg Itzin sure knows how to play a villain.

President Logan = One of the best tv villains ever

Comment by Pat D. – June 12, 2013 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only interested in Tony. No Tony, no watch-y!!

Comment by Jj – June 13, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the ratings are good and they make it a summer show for a few years

Comment by joterri – November 1, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post